• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's Superannuation: The Elder Scrolls Online has cost $200 million

DarkFlow

Banned
Of course. Elder Scroll is much bigger name in the gaming world. Oh yeah forgot about consoles, right?

No, and this has nothing to do with TES series.
Is this even coming out for consoles? I think it's PC only. If it is coming out for consoles it's even more screwed. You think people that have to pay for PSN and xbl are going to want ANOTHER fee to pay to play? You are out of your mind.

jayu26

Is this even coming out for consoles? I think it's PC only. If it is coming out for consoles it's even more screwed. You think people that have to pay for PSN and xbl are going to want ANOTHER fee to pay to play? You are out of your mind.

They were talking about removing PS+ and XBL requirement for this game. Most if not all Free to Play games and MMO's don't require PS+ on PS4.

Bankruptcy 2014!

72JvkUs.gif

Cabal

It's on consoles for sure. How is this 200 million though? SWTOR cost that much because of the license and the voice work. Is it that big of a game? I'll check out the beta if I can get in, but I have heard nothing positive about this game yet. I hope it makes it's money back, but if it really cost that much, I think there are some execs at Bethesda/Zenimax that are freaking the fuck out right now...

TheYanger

You would think that a company like Bethesda/Zenimax would have the foresight to know that the subscription MMO model is a dying one. Not only that the MMO market in general has become stale and over saturated. Why they would pour $200 million into an MMO when they could just have kept doing what they were doing and making bank is beyond me.

There's still plenty to be made on MMOs, but yeah, PROBABLY not with bad wow clones.

li bur

I don't really know much about MMO's but I'm curious how other companies that are focusing on MMO can have so many MMO under their wings (e.g. NCSoft) while EA and bethesda spent shitload of money just to make one game.

This kind of development cost is batshit crazy.

DarkFlow

Banned
They were talking about removing PS+ and XBL requirement for this game. Most if not all Free to Play games and MMO's don't require PS+ on PS4.

It's on consoles for sure. How is this 200 million though? SWTOR cost that much because of the license and the voice work. Is it that big of a game? I'll check out the beta if I can get in, but I have heard nothing positive about this game yet. I hope it makes it's money back, but if it really cost that much, I think there are some execs at Bethesda/Zenimax that are freaking the fuck out right now...
Shows what I know about this game, and I got a beta invite.

TheYanger

I don't really know much about MMO's but I'm curious how other companies that are focusing on MMO can have so many MMO under their wings (e.g. NCSoft) while EA and bethesda spent shitload of money just to make one game.

Cause they're companies that are answering to shareholders that think they need to shoot for the moon. It' not like you can't make a profitable MMO that isn't millions of subscribers, not by a long shot. They looked at WoW 6 years ago and decided they were going for it.

Flying too close to the sun and all that jazz.

Wiktor

You would think that a company like Bethesda/Zenimax would have the foresight to know that the subscription MMO model is a dying one. Not only that the MMO market in general has become stale and over saturated. Why they would pour $200 million into an MMO when they could just have kept doing what they were doing and making bank is beyond me.

F2P model makes sense solely for cheap games.
With stuff like ESO it's better to start with selling the game, then subs and after you take as much money as possible switch it to F2P.

Anyway, ESO isn't made by Bethesda anyway, so Bethsoft is still doing what they always done. Zenimax just sees this as additional source of revenue.

What a disaster waiting to happen. I really hope this doesn't significantly damage Bethesda...their primary studio needs to stay perfectly intact for future Elder Scrolls games.

DTKT

I could see the initial numbers being fairly strong. Skyrim and Oblivion were immensely popular but what remains to be seen is if the name alone is strong enough.

Mandoric

Banned
LOL I won't be paying a monthly fee for one game. Happy? The cost of entry for a good PC is too high, so is the cost of a PS4 or XB1 at the moment IMO. I do love TES though, so if it offers something truly remarkable (extremely unlikely, I don't like MMOs) then it isn't for me.

(For what it's worth, I don't subscribe to PS+ and I have not paid for XBL Gold in a couple of years. I still have a couple 12 month gold codes I won from a competition that are on my phone....which broke the other day......so when I get the LCD display fixed, I will have 2 more years of gold)

Hahaha, fair. I look at it the other way: I'll play pay MMOs I like and put up with iffy ones if I win free time, because I feel like it's a fair shake for the heavier server reqs and constant major content patches compared to the Live/PS4 PSN style of paying to let me connect to a friend's system.

Cabal

I'm buying this day one, **** the naysayers - I think it's looking great.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact I think there will be great many people like you, but probably not enough, if past experiences are anything to go by.

I was day one on SWTOR with the collectors edition, because I thought it was going to be the next great MMO, if not overall gaming experience. In hindsight, I ended up not having a whole lot of fun. I went in thinking it was more than a wow clone with deep lore and story. It ended up being just that. My mistake was not playing the beta enough then getting overhyped. To compound it, I felt like a fool when it went F2P after dropping that much money and trying to convince myself that I should stick with it.

I see the same thing happening here, because if the Star Wars license doesn't stop a game from hitting free to play, I don't think the Elder Scrolls license is going do it. The game is probably going to be fun for many but I will be really surprised if it doesn't meet a similar fate.

DiscoJer

Heck, NCSoft shut down City of Heroes, even though it was profitable, it just wasn't profitable enough for them...

I still do not understand the logic of creating this.

A series that has thrived for years giving people an epic single player experience re-made as an MMO?

Bad idea!

TheYanger

Wasn't EverQuest 1 like $10 million?

EQ1 peaked at like, 300k subscribers or something and was considered a monster success at that. Just goes to show how expectations have changed, and why it's so ridiculous that these companies keep trying to go for WoW peak like money.

I don;t tink ESO is designed as WoW-like. Seems much more like Dark Age of Camelot. That said, this aproach might be too niche for such budget.
Eh, it's definitely pretty wow-like. Elder Scrolls needed something other than a theme park MMO, with LARGELY hotkey based combat (it still basically is hotkeys), instead we got a theme park MMO with hotkey based combat and LEFT CLICK TO ATTACK ACTION.

bounchfx

I feel horrible saying it because I love TES but it does feel like SWTOR part 2. My guess is maybe 2 million at launch, dropping off HARD after the first month. Expect to hear a lot of 'current subscriber' number padding shortly after launch as they seek to maintain composure.

I'll get it on ps4 and pray that it got better since PAX.

ban25

The #1 production cost in game development is staff. To get a rough estimate of that, multiply $10k by the average number of staff by the number of months in development. The #2 cost is typically marketing. For this type of game, it's hard to say what they'll spend on marketing, since the sell through on a subscription-based game is going to be much lower and focused on a core user-base.

Wiktor

Eh, it's definitely pretty wow-like. Elder Scrolls needed something other than a theme park MMO, with LARGELY hotkey based combat (it still basically is hotkeys), instead we got a theme park MMO with hotkey based combat and LEFT CLICK TO ATTACK ACTION.
Isn't ESO supposed to concentrate on Realm vs Realm?

TheYanger

Isn't ESO supposed to concentrate on Realm vs Realm?

It has a 3 faction pvp area, which is important sure, but all of the 'rest' IE what you do the entire way up, is theme park wow stuff through and through. I mean, even wow has the same kind of pvp. DAoC it is not.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Everyone who keeps saying this game looks and plays really really badly, are you basing your opinions on the really old 'weekend beta' build or the updated friends & family beta that's currently going on?

I haven't tried it myself but the game looks pretty decent to me having seen it being played, very strongly aping after Skyrim's aesthetics.

Problem with MMO development is that all these projects were started waaaaay back before the market crashed, and were years in when it did. ESO started development back in 2007 and plans were likely being discussed as far back as 2005-6 when it became obvious that WoW was a money tree.

For context, development on ESO started during the Burning Crusade era of WoW. They didn't know then that the entire market would essentially be contained entirely to WoW and then crash outside it. They probably should have, but hey, that's business.

TheYanger

Everyone who keeps saying this game looks and plays really really badly, are you basing your opinions on the really old 'weekend beta' build or the updated friends & family beta that's currently going on?

I haven't tried it myself but the game looks pretty decent to me having seen it being played, very strongly aping after Skyrim's aesthetics.

"really old" as in, a month ago? Yeaaah. There are fundamental design problems with the game. It's not getting fixed without some major FF14 style restructuring.

Problem with MMO development is that all these projects were started waaaaay back before the market crashed, and were years in when it did. ESO started development back in 2007 and plans were likely being discussed as far back as 2005-6 when it became obvious that WoW was a money tree.

For context, development on ESO started during the Burning Crusade era of WoW. They didn't know then that the entire market would essentially be contained entirely to WoW and then crash outside it. They probably should have, but hey, that's business.

The problem is that they just saw the money and said 'we need that' without having any inkling of how to go about it. Whether they started development years ago has little effect on the game today, games change significantly over the course of development all the time. Either way, it's kind of not our problem as the consumer, it's an issue where they saw the dollar signs attached to a game 7 or 8 years ago, and then continued to let that train roll forward without much innovation along the way. It does no good to be competitive with a 9 year old product - you can't match the content, so you have to better the gameplay, fi you're not doing that you simply have no space in the market. These are the games that literally subsist off of the fumes of the 'I want to play WoW but not ACTUALLY wow' crowd, just like the people that clung to stuff like TOR and Warhammer for so long. There will be subs, but not what they want there to be.

Mandoric

Banned
It has a 3 faction pvp area, which is important sure, but all of the 'rest' IE what you do the entire way up, is theme park wow stuff through and through. I mean, even wow has the same kind of pvp. DAoC it is not.

Wait, what, it's not open-world PVP, there's just a Tamriel Ilum? Wow, no wonder the impressions are so bad.

TheYanger

Wait, what, it's not open-world PVP, there's just a Tamriel Ilum? Wow, no wonder the impressions are so bad.

It's 3 distinct levelling 'tracks' in various sections of the world, and then you go into Cyrodil to actually fight each other for control of the capital. So imagine if it was DAoC, but with just one central frontier. You don't pvp in morrowind for example, or Skyrim or anywhere else.

Artorias

Banned

I completely missed that game as I didn't have a PC at the time, but my father still talks about it like it was WW2.

Mandoric

Banned
It's 3 distinct levelling 'tracks' in various sections of the world, and then you go into Cyrodil to actually fight each other for control of the capital. So imagine if it was DAoC, but with just one central frontier. You don't pvp in morrowind for example, or Skyrim or anywhere else.

Wow, that's literally worse world PvP than SWTOR - at least that had neutral areas on a few worlds from 25+ to prep you for the endgame PvP area at 50.

milena87

I don;t tink ESO is designed as WoW-like. Seems much more like Dark Age of Camelot. That said, this aproach might be too niche for such budget.

Sadly, it won't be a new DAoC. The only thing that will (hopefully) resemble DAoC will be the new game from Mark Jacobs, Camelot Unchained.
And it won't have a PvE at all. I backed it just because of this. How so many MMO still try to create tons of quests and areas for levelling up, while almost completing ignoring the end game, baffles me.

When DAoC came out I spent 4 months to level up to 50, but I loved every second of it. There were no quests at the beginning (ok, to be fair, there were some, but I know no one that actually paid attention to them or liked them), so you needed others to continue. The modern MMOs all seem to forget that they're supposed to encourage you to play together with someone else.

Of course, DAoC was a bit different, as you had access to RvR combat from the very beginning if you wanted. And knowing that the end game was there, fleshed out and actually interesting, was the motivation to keep levelling up (and it was painfully slow after level 40).

TheYanger

I completely missed that game as I didn't have a PC at the time, but my father still talks about it like it was WW2.

Given that they screwed it up later, and even the same people haven't successfully remade DAoC pvp...I think it was basically them happening onto the golden pvp ratio. I'm not even huge into pvp (It's fun, I like doing it, but I like pve more typically), but DAoC was absolutely amazingly fun when it was clicking. Like all MMOs of that era, you had long spurts of downtime too though. I think that's a lot of where the modern designs fail, trying to be everything to everyone at all times kind of removes some of the urgency of it mattering when it happened.

Derpcrawler

I played beta weekend on PC, it's very bad game, like very shitty clone of WoW, but not as good and polished as WoW was in 2006, if you compare it to modern WoW (Cataclysm/MoP) it's much worse.

SmartBase

Wow, that makes me feel very bad for Zenimax. Just, wow. Didn't Skyrim only cost $84M? Without going into detail, I fear that ESO may be the first game to damage the Elder Scrolls brand in a big way. Also, it is a shame they didn't just take 1/2 that and dump it into Fallout 4, a game that is guaranteed to rake in the dough without all the colossal risk of another sub-based MMO....

Citation needed for that 84 mil. figure. If it's true then I don't know what to say, Gamebryo and those 5 voice actors must be some premium grade shit.

I don't see how TESO is going to succeed, sure they'll recoup their costs but in the long-term it's just another money sink.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
"really old" as in, a month ago? Yeaaah. There are fundamental design problems with the game. It's not getting fixed without some major FF14 style restructuring.

From what I understand, some semi-significant design changes went into the ~2 week old build that the F&F is running compared to what was available as a on/off weekend beta affair previously. You no longer are locked into the "3 levelling tracks of questlines" and can play it more like a regular ES game. Plus that it's actually now running on what will become the live unsharded megaserver when the game launches. That said, I'm only speaking from over-the-shoulder second hand experience at this point.

Dang that's a lot of money. Is anyone even excited for this, or considering buying it?

I think it will be interesting to see how sales pan out, especially the breakdown of the platforms.
My girlfriend and I are both looking forward to this game. Outside of GAF, I've seen a number of positive preview pieces. I'm not expecting Skyrim online, I'm expecting an MMO with Elder Scrolls references and touchstones.

Top Bottom