• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krokodil, the new Russian street drug of choice, causes green skin, rotting flesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
sw33tclyde said:
The irony is that the gateway drug bullshit and all of the other misinformation put out by D.A.R.E. misleads kids into thinking drugs are all the same - BAD. So when they try weed and realize it is pretty much harmless, they are more inclined to try others.

The real gateway drug, imo, would be alcohol. People will try anything if they're hammered enough; stoned not so much.

I think that weed has more potency to be that initial spark that drives young people to try other substances because, ironically, it is illegal and therefore considered a taboo. If it was regulated like alcohol maybe that would change. It vertainly doesn't help that a lot of weed dealers sell a bit of speed, coke or pills on the side.

I've heard many kids say that alcohol loses its shine when you get to legal drinking age, that some of the excitement of getting rat-arsed somehow evaporates.

In my case cannabis was certainly a gateway to other drugs, I was never much of a drinker - same for almost everybody I know. The reality is that any mind altering drug can be a catalyst depending on the individual. A butterfly flaps its wings and all that.

Baby Jesus said:
In my case cannabis was certainly a gateway to other drugs, I was never much of a drinker - same for almost everybody I know.

Did you first drink alcohol illegally though?

The entire concept of labeling something a "Gateway" is pretty silly IMO.

Of course someone curious about experimenting with drugs is likely to start with a milder drug.

Ironically, the most common "first drug" people try is alcohol. One of the most powerful and dangerous of all.. strange how it's not labeled a "Gateway drug."

Baby Jesus said:
I think that weed has more potency to be that initial spark that drives young people to try other substances because, ironically, it is illegal and therefore considered a taboo. If it was regulated like alcohol maybe that would change.

I've heard many kids say that alcohol loses its shine when you get to legal drinking age, that some of the excitement of getting rat-arsed somehow evaporates.

In my case cannabis was certainly a gateway to other drugs, I was never much of a drinker - same for almost everybody I know. The reality is that any mind altering drug can be a catylyst depending on the individual. A butterfly flaps its wings and all that.

But in college, everyone drinks, even when underage (which is illegal). It directly leads to them trying out other drugs, if if it's "only" marijuana. It's the primary gateway drug, because people begin to equate being drunk with having a good time as early as HS. And every person I know who was a drinker in college was a drinker all through their 20s, it never loses it's luster until you a) can't afford it or b) you have so many family/work obligations that you can't go out anymore.

nVidiot_Whore said:

The entire concept of labeling something a "Gateway" is pretty sill IMO.

Of course someone curious about experimenting with drugs is likely to start with a milder drug.

Ironically, the most common "first drug" people try is alcohol. One of the most powerful and dangerous of all.. strange how it's not labeled a "Gateway drug."

Sho_Nuff82 said:
But in college, everyone drinks, even when underage (which is illegal). It directly leads to them trying out other drugs, if if it's "only" marijuana. It's the primary gateway drug, because people begin to equate being drunk with having a good time as early as HS. And every person I know who was a drinker in college was a drinker all through their 20s, it never loses it's luster until you a) can't afford it or b) you have so many family/work obligations that you can't go out anymore.

Yes, you are indeed right. Alcohol was the very first drug I tried whilst underage, but it honestly never did anything for me, so I avoided it from then on.

Weed was a bit of a revelation to me, as it is to many people. It had this amazing underground culture built around it which took me to into places and situations I might otherwise not have been in. Plus, many of my dealers sold other drugs. I know that is more of an indirect link, but there it is.

Looking back, I could have ended the cycle at any time by exercising a little sef-control, but i was young and dumb. Even dumber than I am now ;)

Skeyser

Baby Jesus said:
I think that weed has more potency to be that initial spark that drives young people to try other substances because, ironically, it is illegal and therefore considered a taboo. If it was regulated like alcohol maybe that would change. It vertainly doesn't help that a lot of weed dealers sell a bit of speed, coke or pills on the side.

In my case cannabis was certainly a gateway to other drugs, I was never much of a drinker - same for almost everybody I know. The reality is that any mind altering drug can be a catalyst depending on the individual. A butterfly flaps its wings and all that.

Yes, same thing happened to a lot of my friends, once we started smoking weed it quickly escalated to more powerful drugs sadly.

nVidiot_Whore said:

The entire concept of labeling something a "Gateway" is pretty silly IMO.

The reason I've never drank alcohol is because of that.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
AbsoluteZero said:
Really? Dude, I'm about as drug free as they come, I've only been "drunk" once in my entire life just so I could have a frame of reference, and even I knock back a cider or a glass of good wine every now and then.

Baby Jesus said:
Weed was a bit of a revelation to me, as it is to many people. It had this amazing underground culture built around it which took me to into places and situations I might otherwise have been in. Plus, many of my dealers sold other drugs. I know that is more of an indirect link, but there it is.

There is certainly a link.. I just think that link is very different for different people. And it's not there whatsoever for others.

I just think the language used, and the way it's expressed, is the same rather disingenuous approach to "drug education" too often used.

Nor do I find anything inherently "wrong" with experimenting with drugs, or the desire to do so. lol

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Skilotonn said:
Second day of this thread, still haven't clicked any pictures or video links yet - I'm proud of myself.
I did accidentally see a picture by clicking on what I thought was going to be a safe article. It was really sad and disturbing.

AbsoluteZero said:
With Marijuana being drilled into my head as a gateway drug as a child it makes sense that it would lead into worse drugs which would lead into death.

Cigarettes can cause cancer which can cause death.

Logic. Yay!

Fear and misinformation are powerful tools on young minds. I once too thought/was taught like you, then I grew up.

Also, cancer from cigs is likely anything but a quick death.

AbsoluteZero said:

Alcohol can be enjoyable.. it has a place.. but I do think it's rampant abuse is far too "laughed at" and not treated seriously enough. I've witnessed many many people repeatedly not having a "good time" abusing alcohol.. but they talk as though they did have a good time.. such a strange phenomenon.. getting in fights w/ friends or significant others, being physically ill.. perhaps in trouble with the law.. injuring themselves, etc.

"Great time last night."

I think it's a bit of group psychosis.. this idea that people are "cool" or "fitting in" by getting wasted together.. usually a few people in any group who ARE in fact responsibly having fun.. but not helping much by laughing at or encouraging those that are the abusers.

AbsoluteZero said:
I've been drinking sporadicaly since I was 15 and got severely wasted a few times. I have never smoked a cigarettet, weed or abused any drug. And I don't have any addiction or urge to drink alchohol. It's really no big deal and can't lead you anywhere unless you're living in a highly stresful enviorement and are using alchohol to escape it or if you simply have a genetical predisposition to addiction.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Lagspike_exe said:
I've been drinking sporadicaly since I was 15 and got severely wasted a few times. I have never smoked a cigarettet, weed or abused any drug. And I don't have any addiction or urge to drink alchohol. It's really no big deal and can't lead you anywhere unless you're living in a highly stresful enviorement and are using alchohol to escape it or if you're simply have a genetical predisposition to addiction.
Yeah, alcohol is an addiction that you really have to work at to actually get to the point that you're an alcoholic. Is it even possible to get addicted to marijuana? I've never heard of a single case.
In contrast I've gotten the impression that harder drugs like heroin, crack and meth can develop into addictions with fairly light usage.

nVidiot_Whore said:
There is certainly a link.. I just think that link is very different for different people. And it's not there whatsoever for others.

I just think the language used, and the way it's expressed, is the same rather disingenuous approach to "drug education" too often used.

Nor do I find anything inherently "wrong" with experimenting with drugs, or the desire to do so. lol

Absolutely. It's down to the individual - all I can offer is my personal experience and that of my friends. For me there is some truth there, for others there isn't. Educating people on drugs is handled so badly because of political and religious boundaries that politicians won't cross.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Alligatorjandro said:
Why would you suck hobo dick for heroin?
He has a huge stash of it somewhere. He sells it for sexual favours, not money, hence the continued hoboness.

I need my money for other things.

Baby Jesus said:
Absolutely. It's down to the individual - all I can offer is my personal experience and that of my friends. For me there is some truth there, for others there isn't. Educating people on drugs is handled so badly because of political and religious boundaries that politicians won't cross.

Yeah.. some of my experimentation with drugs I could link to pot.

Trying pot made me quite open to trying mushrooms.. which then made me open to trying acid.

That's really about it.

Why did I try cocaine? A girl.

Vagina, the gateway drug. I would have 100% tried Cocaine and pretended to be some experienced drug user for that ass when I was 17. Even if I'd never taken a toke in my life.

dudeworld

nVidiot_Whore said:
Yeah.. some of my experimentation with drugs I could link to pot.

Trying pot made me quite open to trying mushrooms.. which then made me open to trying acid.

That's really about it.

Why did I try cocaine? A girl.

Vagina, the gateway drug. I would have 100% tried Cocaine and pretended to be some experienced drug user for that ass when I was 17. Even if I'd never taken a toke in my life.

wow no offense dude, but that is really desperate

dudeworld said:
wow no offense dude, but that is really desperate

lol.. I wasn't desperate.

I was also just a risk taker in general at that age.. just saying it's not something I would have tried otherwise in any social situation.

CHEEZMO™ said:
I drank some alcohol once.

Now I write fanfics about My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

fixed.

Getting drunk is great. Hangovers are not. If there weren't hangovers, I'd be hammered every second. Actually if I had money I would be drunk right now.

nVidiot_Whore said:
lol.. I wasn't desperate.

I was also just a risk taker in general at that age.. just saying it's not something I would have tried otherwise in any social situation.

It can get you. One minute you're in control, taking 'acceptable risks', the next minute not so much. And it takes a long time to admit to yourself that things aren't going quite as as planned :D

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, alcohol is an addiction that you really have to work at to actually get to the point that you're an alcoholic. Is it even possible to get addicted to marijuana? I've never heard of a single case.
In contrast I've gotten the impression that harder drugs like heroin, crack and meth can develop into addictions with fairly light usage.

Oh, man. Three of my friends have had to seek assistance from their doctors to get off skunk. One of them followed that up with therapy. A few months after I quit smoking one of them had looked at me in awe and asked "How the hell did you do it?!"

I found it very hard to quit skunk - not the same, but comparable to heroin. Obviously there is no sickness - for the first week it was quite a novelty being not stoned. Then partly boredom, partly my social circle and partly my brain not being able to chill without it. I began to yearn for it.

I swear the fuzzy buzz from good hydro skunk covered in crystals is not a million miles away from gouging out on junk or methadone. I think there may be some reports that also suggest this - I'm not gonna bother to dig them up.

When you smoke skunk all evening - wake up half stoned for work and then carry on smoking the next evening, it's not long before you find yourself slightly stoned all the time. You can get very comfortable with it. Of course this is the extreme side of smoking - also, pretty common in my experience.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Smoking on some nice indica while watching a movie is one of lifes greatest rewards.

nVidiot_Whore said:
What's next, millions will be smoking drugs treated with benzene, formaldehyde, ammonia, acetone, carbon monoxide, and arsenic?

Oh wait, hi cigarette smoking idiots.
Hi, moron.

ajim

I went through this entire thread, read every post, saw every image, and watched every video.

I will now leave it a changed man.

dudeworld

nVidiot_Whore said:
lol

Go kill yourself slowly to pretend you are "relaxing." (aka, satisfying an addiction that causes you anxiety, pro tip, it's actually a stimulant)

it "relaxes" them back to "normal" like how krokodil relaxes its addicts back to normal

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The disfigured bodies are something that will scare people into action, I hope. Support groups for users, prevention through education, and a more. I can't believe we're at a point where people willingly poison and irreparably mutilate their bodies for a fix -- not that other drugs are immune to this kind of destruction.

CHEEZMO™ said:
Because they're real life.

nomis

dudeworld said:
it "relaxes" them back to "normal" like how krokodil relaxes its addicts back to normal

Relaxes their muscles so much that they start turning to mush and fall off the bone.

nVidiot_Whore said:
lol

Go kill yourself slowly to pretend you are "relaxing." (aka, satisfying an addiction that causes you anxiety, pro tip, it's actually a stimulant)
Any useful insight instead of this stupid ramble? Go have some coke with an idiot whore.

Trip Warhawkins said:
Any useful insight instead of this stupid ramble? Go have some coke with an idiot whore.

Well I also tried cigarettes when I was 17. Which was equally idiotic. I have never regularly used tobacco or cocaine, and haven't touched either in almost 15 years.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
RiccochetJ said:
I did accidentally see a picture by clicking on what I thought was going to be a safe article. It was really sad and disturbing.

Not too long after my post I was on another site that happened to stupidly have a tiny screencap to one of the videos of Krokodil about a girl, probably was one of the same videos in here, and it happened to be blurry so I didn't see much out of it except for a blurry leg with some green/grey on it I think.

Hyuga said:
Believe me.... bail out asap ^^

I like going through people's responses when I should be doing something else - I don't have to see the effects to imagine how people are reacting just because of how gruesome it sounds in the OP already.

Still is beyond me how people agree to get this crap injected into them knowing damn well what it does, even that guy that said he knew he had six months to live - fuck that, I'd rather hold out to see if the doctors were right instead of putting the dot on the i.

AbsoluteZero said:
So Marijuana is absolutely safe?

Nothing is absolutely safe. You could die from eating contaminated meat or falling into a manhole. Smoking marijuana has some good effects, it helps with pain management, there's evidence that it can help some of the effects of aging on your brain and it can help some neurological disorders. The negative effects are either those associated with smoking (which can be avoided by eating it instead of smoking it) or some poorly sourced long term memory effects. It's absolutely safer than smoking or drinking, which are both legal.

njean777

water_wendi said:
Must be pretty strong because the users dont seem to really care.

Its a genetic problem, they are predisposed (usually by parent) during pregnancy to addiction and if they start using they have a higher chance of being addicted to the drug. Then you can not get them off unless they see they have a problem first.

Amakusa

PetriP-TNT said:
fixed.

Getting drunk is great. Hangovers are not. If there weren't hangovers, I'd be hammered every second. Actually if I had money I would be drunk right now.

/avatarquote

Tunavi

Banned
ajim said:
I went through this entire thread, read every post, saw every image, and watched every video.

I will now leave it a changed man.
now you can head over to 4chan prepared for what they have to show you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom