• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krokodil, the new Russian street drug of choice, causes green skin, rotting flesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
mac said:
What's the fast solution? Send those people some heroin and send down the price. I know I'd sleep better knowing the abandoned apartment building if full of run of the mill smack heads instead of walking cesspools of tormented flesh.
These are Darwin Awards on a massive scale.

I'm not sure I have a problem with irresponsible people electing to make self-destructive decisions that remove them from society within a year.

mac said:
People here are still saying "why would you logically decide to do this?" but they are missing a huge point. These people are already addicted to heroin. That's the control group here. There isn't a guy in a bar talking about how high it gets you and offering a sample, these users come from the population of fully trained heroin addicts.
Not only that but I'm guessing (without having seen the videos) that most of the addicts are probably homeless people that "had" to use the drug to either brave hunger or cold. It's not like you're one day sitting at home playing on your U$6k PC while on a comfy couch and then decide "hey, I wonder what's going to happen if I shoot gasoline into my veins.".

Skeyser

And I thought heroin was bad already...I really can't understand how desperate you have to be to take this drug seeing how horrible the side effects are.

way more

Ignis Fatuus said:
These are Darwin Awards on a massive scale.

I'm not sure I have a problem with irresponsible people electing to make self-destructive decisions that remove them from society within a year.

I don't think you can apply Darwin Awards to addicts. This isn't a guy who decides to use lighter fluid as fuel for his lawnmower. These are heroin addicts who are given the option to use a drug is 1/30th the price.

Hellcrow

Skeyser said:
And I thought heroin was bad already...I really can't understand how desperate you have to be to take this drug seeing how horrible the side effects are.

The users are most likely already addicted to heroin, so I wouldn't say judgement are the users strongest side.

keuja

The most depressing thread I've seen in a while...
Drugs + dying industrial russian town must basically be like hell on earth.

Wow, there are no words. I understand why people use many drugs but shit, no high would be high enough for this craziness.

When people take these drugs it really shows what they're made of.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I don't understand how it becomes an epidemic. I mean...loads of people see, hear and learn about the effects, good and bad. And they take the conscious decision to take the time to learn how to make it, source the ingredients and take the time and effort to cook.

I don't understand.

"hey man this lady got so high off this new drug, her flesh fell off"
"duuuude how do we do this"
"oh man this shit works, my thumbs falling off, I gotta tell my friends!"
"awesome! how do you make it?"

way more

Bay Maximus said:
Wow, there are no words. I understand why people use many drugs but shit, no high would be high enough for this craziness.

When people take these drugs it really shows what they're made of.

They aren't doing this to get high they get almost to normal when they take it. . They are using it because they've been addicted to heroin for years and this drug is 1/30 the cost.

And they take the conscious decision to take the time to learn how to make it, source the ingredients and take the time and effort to cook.

They are pathetic heroin addicts! They aren't like you and me. Conscious decision goes out the window.

Jesus, how does a person in this day and age not try to understand these things.

mac said:
They aren't doing this to get high they get almost to normal when they take it. . They are using it because they've been addicted to heroin for years and this drug is 1/30 the cost.

I get it. They're physically addicted to these drugs. My cousin sold his family's Christmas presents and TV/VCR for crack rocks. Drugs make you do dumb shit. But they still do it for the dopamine and a 'high'. They still have the choice to make and free will. 1/30th the cost is a good deal though.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
mac said:

They are pathetic heroin addicts! They aren't like you and me. Conscious decision goes out the window.

Jesus, how does a person in this day and age not try to understand these things.

Do you understand the meaning of the word conscious? Do you know what a conscious decision is?

Sometimes I'll do things that I know are stupid and that I will regret but I start doing it, I keep doing it and I don't stop until the damage is done - its still a conscious decision to have done it. Obviously I can't imagine what these people go through, which is why I said I don't understand.

Now quit playing the broken record and trying to paint these people as some kind of helpless victims who had no say in the matter. I'd argue it was the other way around, they knew exactly what they were doing to themselves but they're too low/fucked up to care.

TL4E

mac said:

Actually, they're exactly like you and me, except with a heroin addiction. But clearly if you got a heroin addiction, you'd merely be a "heroin addict" rather than a "pathetic heroin addict" and your conscious decision making wouldn't go out the window.

Mato

These people look ready to be dipped in formalin. They could be used as cadavers for dissection classes. It makes one wonder, why does such a sight shock us more than a cow ripped open or a slice of dead pig laying on a plate next to fried eggs? It seems to be the context.

keuja

Bay Maximus said:
I get it. They're physically addicted to these drugs. My cousin sold his family's Christmas presents and TV/VCR for crack rocks. Drugs make you do dumb shit. But they still do it for the dopamine and a 'high'. They still have the choice to make and free will. 1/30th the cost is a good deal though.

Without help, drug addiction is stronger than free will... They don't care if their body rots, they just want their fix. Fucking scary.

Drug culture is just something I'll never understand. From cigarettes, to marijuana all the way to heroin and this stuff.

Just seems like a really stupid and expensive way to end your life quickly.

AbsoluteZero said:
Drug culture is just something I'll never understand. From cigarettes, to marijuana all the way to heroin and this stuff.

Dont forget the american favorite, Alcohol!

Way to generalize everything as well.

kaizoku said:
I don't understand how it becomes an epidemic. I mean...loads of people see, hear and learn about the effects, good and bad. And they take the conscious decision to take the time to learn how to make it, source the ingredients and take the time and effort to cook.

I don't understand.

For some reason, I doubt that's the conversation that happens before taking this.

It relates to going through the early stages of withdrawal, and being short on cash needed for heroin or other opiates.

Aeris130

Anyone whos first reaction to this is "well, just don't use drugs, duuuh" have never been addicted to drugs.

Seeing my cousin trying to get rid of his addiction for several years, heavy drug usage fucks you up. "Not thinking straight" isn't really enough to describe it, but he still has sporadic episodes of depression despite being clean for years, and just feel like shit on a daily basis. Your brain eventually gets fucked up and never recovers 100%, simple as that.

Kad5

Just for the people who understand.

Once you get addicted to heroin you basically get sick unless you keep taking it in order to feel normal.

The only way I could see this problem being fixed is if the Russian government legalizes heroin use and allows people to get their fixed in a safe and hygienic environment. Of course there would be programs offered to help you with your addiction.

Making Heroin illegal causes people to resort to things like this due to how expensive it is to get on the black market.

Darklord

Banned
Alligatorjandro said:
Why cant people just not try heroin since its so bad?

Yeah, I really don't get it. I know quite a few people who do drugs, all kinds of drugs but they would never, ever touch heroin. I think the people who go that path have already fallen far into serious addition. One guy I heard of got so bad he injected heroin directly into his temple.

Aeris130 said:
Anyone whos first reaction to this is "well, just don't use drugs, duuuh" have never been addicted to drugs.

Well the answer is "Well don't use drugs in the first place", of course.

Can't get addicted if you don't start.

Kad5 said:
Just for the people who understand.

Once you get addicted to heroin you basically get sick unless you keep taking it in order to feel normal.

The only way I could see this problem being fixed is if the Russian government legalizes heroin use and allows people to get their fixed in a safe and hygienic environment. Of course there would be programs offered to help you with your addiction.

Making Heroin illegal causes people to resort to things like this due to how expensive it is to get on the black market.

Even if it were legal, it would be a controlled substance, and if you couldn't afford it, you would resort to committing crimes or injecting zombrex into your veins.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
AbsoluteZero said:

Stuff like Marihuana, Alcohol, Shrooms, LSD, Salvia have minimal effects on your body ( well except alcohol lol) but can induce a feeling that is probably unobtainable in any other way.

Of course heroin, crystal meth and so on are another story...

Kad5

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Even if it were legal, it would be a controlled substance, and if you couldn't afford it, you would resort to committing crimes or injecting zombrex into your veins.

You realize that if a substance is available off the black market it's much cheaper right?

People resort to using crocodile just because of how expensive heroin can be.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Sho_Nuff82 said:

If it were legal the price would fall dramatically and your social security could probably help.

BlazeDSM

Fack! That shit's crazy. I was addicted to heroin for about 2 years and its not something I never ever ever want to go back to. I'm sorry for all these people that have to go through this issue there in Russia.

AbsoluteZero said:

Run that one by me again?

mt1200

Shoogoo said:
Is it worth your fucking skin?

More like.. is it worth your life?

I dont know how are those people alive, what they're injecting or eating whatsoever, its pure poison.

BTW narcos use gasoline to make cocainum/crack.

And they also use horse or human piss for cheap ganja, you better go for the expensive ones and smell them first, or grow your own plants

Samk

I hate the high horsing. It's the Just World fallacy all over again. Those damned poor people need to get off their asses and work and those idiot drug addicts should've never tried drugs.

I'd wager a bet that these are very impoverished people with very little to live for. I bet their parents aren't educated. I bet the highest they could achieve in their social circles is very tough blue collar labor. This isn't white kids in the burbs succumbing to peer pressure to fit in, forgoing opportunities to go on to do bigger and better things. These are the dregs of society. They aren't needed or wanted from a societal or economical perspective. They should be pitied.

BlazeDSM said:
Fack! That shit's crazy. I was addicted to heroin for about 2 years and its not something I never ever ever want to go back to. I'm sorry for all these people that have to go through this issue there in Russia.

I was an addict for 5 years, been clean for nearly 7. Scary thing is, as an ex-addict, I can almost see how these Russian peeps got on the even more slippery slope of krokodil addiction.

Whenever there was a break in supply it would mean collecting all the nearest and closest alternative black market pharmaceuticals - literally anything to stave of sickness. Sometimes me and my 'friends' would discover some "great" alternatives. I imagine that these guys tried krokodil 'just once' as a means to an end, but the high was so intense they had to keep on chasing it. Awful way to go.

AbsoluteZero said:
marijuana seems like a really stupid and expensive way to end your life quickly.

AbsoluteZero said:
So Marijuana is absolutely safe?
goalposts_moving-back.bmp

teacupcopter said:
I don't smoke weed or tobacco but anyone arguing that weed leads to a quick death, or even a slow death is arguing with no logic.

With Marijuana being drilled into my head as a gateway drug as a child it makes sense that it would lead into worse drugs which would lead into death.

Cigarettes can cause cancer which can cause death.

Logic. Yay!

TheExodu5

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:

I don't understand parts of it. I absolutely hate the sensation of being high on weed. I've done it a dozen times because I keep thinking it will be different, but every time, I just wish the high would end.

Though I only drink casually, alcohol does provide me with a bit of a euphoric sensation, and it does facilitate conversation.

Last time I smoked weed my heart rate was so high I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

kaizoku said:

I don't understand.

More like

"I think I am going to kill myself if I don't get some heroin"
"Heroin is a no go but there is something to ease the pai...."
"Deal"

There's a small difference between full blown addiction and trying weed for the first time.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
BlazeDSM said:

Good on you man for knocking it on the head. I had a bad coke and ketamine problem when I was in UK, usually mixed the two together. Been drug free for 20 months now.

In reference to this Krokodil stuff, that Daily Motion video, the last bit with the chick and her arm, can't believe she isn't more hysterical. Seems quite calm given the seriousness of the situation.

AbsoluteZero said:
With Marijuana being drilled into my head as a gateway drug as a child it makes sense that it would lead into worse drugs which would lead into death.

Logic. Yay!

Lol, wut?

Perusing Neogaf OT leads to internet addiction leads to depression leads to drug usage leads to death......I'm off to write my will.

This is fun!

AbsoluteZero said:

Cigarettes can cause cancer which can cause death.

Logic. Yay!

The irony is that the gateway drug bullshit and all of the other misinformation put out by D.A.R.E. misleads kids into thinking drugs are all the same - BAD. So when they try weed and realize it is pretty much harmless, they are more inclined to try others.

The real gateway drug, imo, would be alcohol. People will try anything if they're hammered enough; stoned not so much.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Samk said:
I hate the high horsing. It's the Just World fallacy all over again. Those damned poor people need to get off their asses and work and those idiot drug addicts should've never tried drugs.

I'd wager a bet that these are very impoverished people with very little to live for. I bet their parents aren't educated. I bet the highest they could achieve in their social circles is very tough blue collar labor. This isn't white kids in the burbs succumbing to peer pressure to fit in, forgoing opportunities to go on to do bigger and better things. These are the dregs of society. They aren't needed or wanted from a societal or economical perspective. They should be pitied.
That's just another high horse. None of the people injecting this substance are completely faultless unless they were drugged against their will. Some of the results are unfortunate, but the consequences are a result of their own actions.

What's next, millions will be smoking drugs treated with benzene, formaldehyde, ammonia, acetone, carbon monoxide, and arsenic?

Oh wait, hi cigarette smoking idiots.

Des0lar said:
If it were legal the price would fall dramatically and your social security could probably help.

Drug companies are going to sell heroin at $2 a hit? They charge double for generic synthetic opiates.

Oxycodone is already commercially available at your neighborhood pharmacy; morphine is already legally administered at hospitals. They're never going to sell that shit OTC (which is common sense, because it's a dangerous and addictive narcotic), and no responsible doctor is going to prescribe it to people just trying to get high, you actually have to have a legit pain in to start with.

Legalizing heroin possession doesn't really change anything, because some drugs will always and should always be closely monitored for administration to the general public.

sw33tclyde said:
The irony is that the gateway drug bullshit and all of the other misinformation put out by D.A.R.E. misleads kids into thinking drugs are all the same - BAD. So when they try weed and realize it is pretty much harmless, they are more inclined to try others.

The real gateway drug, imo, would be alcohol. People will try anything if they're hammered enough; stoned not so much.

Drugs and alcohol are both the same.
They make soup outta your brain.
I don't want to be pea soup, I don't want to be potato.
I don't want to be chicken soup.
I just want to be me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom