• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krokodil, the new Russian street drug of choice, causes green skin, rotting flesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultratech

So I tried watching a video...

"This doesn't seem so ba...WHAT THE FUCK?!"

Seriously, how do people come up with this type of shit?

Fugu

dudeworld said:
taking heroin and then this shit is A LOT different than any of those things you mentioned. It's stupidity that kills them NO MATTER WHAT. drinking alcohol won't necessarily kill you. being racist won't necessarily kill you (probably won't kill you at all).

taking this crocodile shit WILL kill you no matter what.

get it?
And you think that a person who opts to take something that "WILL kill" them no matter what are merely stupid? You don't see how it could be short-sighted to generalize all opiate addicts as "stupid"? At what point does an unwise decision become justification for someone's death? I hit the curb when I first learned how to drive when I was 16; if I get hit by a car now am I deserving of death because I made a stupid mistake (like, say, taking a methadone pill) that is tangentially related to the cause of my death?

dave is ok said:
Take the codeine out of over the counter medicines. Bam, done.

Just like if America took pseudoephedrine out of cold medicine.

The drug companies could probably do something like add an additional chemical to the pill which will react with the other ingredients before they react with the codine and prevent the creation of the desomorphine.

If the government required this for all codine tablets it could stop the problem.

dudeworld

Fugu said:
And you think that a person who opts to take something that "WILL kill" them no matter what are merely stupid? You don't see how it could be short-sighted to generalize all opiate addicts as "stupid"? At what point does an unwise decision become justification for someone's death? I hit the curb when I first learned how to drive when I was 16; if I get hit by a car now am I deserving of death because I made a stupid mistake (like, say, taking a methadone pill) that is tangentially related to the cause of my death?

you're comparing driving a car to taking drugs like heroin?

V_Arnold

I hate to say this, but this is natural selection in front of our right eyes. It must be horrific to realize it as a user when it is already too late, though.

W Hudson

Wow at the pictures and videos. I just can't fathom being so hooked that I would voluntarily take a drug that I know is likely to kill me, or at best rot my flesh off. I had never heard of this shit before today, now I can't stop reading about it.

Fugu

dudeworld said:
you're comparing driving a car to taking drugs like heroin?
I'm comparing a stupid mistake that can lead to other stupid mistakes to a stupid mistake that can lead to other stupid mistakes. You are comparing a death that is easily predicted to a death that is warranted.

A person who initially takes opiates is making a stupid mistake that has consequences that can be very difficult to correct. What happens after that is rarely the responsibility of the sound-of-mind person who initially took the opiate (probably due to a situation that they could not handle and were inadequately equipped to seek help for -- seriously, how many times have you thought to yourself "maybe now is a good time to try heroin"?) and is more likely the product of an extremely provocative and hard-to-quit addiction. Do you think that rehabilitation centers exist simply because people don't have the man-strong willpower that you do?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
V_Arnold said:
I hate to say this, but this is natural selection in front of our right eyes. It must be horrific to realize it as a user when it is already too late, though.
It is...but that doesn't make it right or anything. "Let the user beware" is something we should be trying to overcome as a civilized species.

...at least in theory. Considering how much overpopulation is going to become a problem, I have mixed feelings on the idea of "we must work to ensure that every life lasts until 90!"

raphier

Banned
chung_sao_ming said:
The drug companies could probably do something like add an additional chemical to the pill which will react with the other ingredients before they react with the codine and prevent the creation of the desomorphine.

If the government required this for all codine tablets it could stop the problem.
then the outcome in stomache is unpredictable. I don't think that's a good idea in first place.

dudeworld

Fugu said:
I'm comparing a stupid mistake that can lead to other stupid mistakes to a stupid mistake that can lead to other stupid mistakes. You are comparing a death that is easily predicted to a death that is warranted.

A person who initially takes opiates is making a stupid mistake that has consequences that can be very difficult to correct. What happens after that is rarely the responsibility of the sound-of-mind person who initially took the opiate (probably due to a situation that they could not handle and were inadequately equipped to seek help for -- seriously, how many times have you thought to yourself "maybe now is a good time to try heroin"?) and is more likely the product of an extremely provocative and hard-to-quit addiction. Do you think that rehabilitation centers exist simply because people don't have the man-strong willpower that you do?

sorry but if someone starts taking heroin and it leads down to a path like this, they have no one to blame but themselves and I don't have any sympathy

Fugu

The_Technomancer said:
It is...but that doesn't make it right or anything. "Let the user beware" is something we should be trying to overcome as a civilized species.

...at least in theory. Considering how much overpopulation is going to become a problem, I have mixed feelings on the idea of "we must work to ensure that every life lasts until 90!"
Overpopulation is a problem on a global scale but its distribution is not even. If preventing overpopulation is your goal, killing some Russians isn't the way to solve it.

dudeworld said:
sorry but if someone starts taking heroin and it leads down to a path like this, they have no one to blame but themselves and I don't have any sympathy
Really?

What if they're injured by someone else and develop an opiate addiction from the painkillers that they take while hospitalized? What about heroin makes you so certain that the victim is an idiot?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Krokodil?

krookodile.jpg

Seen the videos with exposed bone before. I think I'd rather off myself with a gun than go out slowly with this drug.

The things people do to get away from reality...

dudeworld

Fugu said:
Overpopulation is a problem on a global scale but its distribution is not even. If preventing overpopulation is your goal, killing some Russians isn't the way to solve it.

Really?

What if they're injured by someone else and develop an opiate addiction from the painkillers that they take while hospitalized? What about heroin makes you so certain that the victim is an idiot?

so let me get this straight. you get in a crash or something and need to take painkillers. then you get addicted. (I'm good until here)

but then you have no choice but to start using heroin to fuel your addiction because there is no other method for you to help with your painkiller addiction.

is that what you're telling me?

Fugu

dudeworld said:
so let me get this straight. you get in a crash or something and need to take painkillers. then you get addicted. (I'm good until here)

but then you have no choice but to start using heroin to fuel your addiction because there is no other method for you to help with your painkiller addiction.

is that what you're telling me?
No. I'm telling you that it is difficult to ascribe a decision made by someone addicted to something like an opiate as one being made by someone of sound mind. Based on this, the descriptor of that person as "stupid" is inaccurate because it implies that they knew better but made a bad decision anyway.

V_Arnold

Fugu said:

Really?

1) Nobody kills them, they are killing themselves. I assume times are very grim there, especially in rural areas, but that still does not make it right to destroy your body in the form of an "escape".

2) I do not get this attitude. Take what you want but really, drug is drug for a reason. It is a dozen different chemicals which messes up your body to a certain extent. You might think it is okay to allow "heroin" or not judge heroin-users, but in reality, you need to take even the simple stuff like bread and butter in moderation, not to mention alcohol or coffeine. Addictions needs to be treated, but the highest possible regulation is needed for stuffs like this, because let us face reality: even if you become addicted to a FUCKING EXPENSIVE drug, you will most likely not be able to pay for it month after month with a farming job in Russia. Therefore, it is not for you. You literally sacrifice everything around you including yourself while hunting cheap replacements like this down.

Then who is at fault? The fucker who introduced drugs to a poor person or someone who might be too dependant. Hunt them down. Hunt them.

dudeworld

Fugu said:
No. I'm telling you that it is difficult to ascribe a decision made by someone addicted to something like an opiate as one being made by someone of sound mind. Based on this, the descriptor of that person as "stupid" is inaccurate because it implies that they knew better but made a bad decision anyway.

I'm just not buying that. Even if you're addicted to painkillers prescribed from an injury, I still think it's stupid for that person to start taking heroin to fuel their opiate addiction. There are plenty of other ways to try to ease the painkiller addiction that doesn't involve a stupid decision like taking heroin

dave is ok

aztek is ok
dudeworld said:
There are plenty of other ways to try to ease the painkiller addiction that doesn't involve a stupid decision like taking heroin
This seems like a qualified, informed expert opinion so I'll take your word for it.

TL4E

dudeworld said:
I'm just not buying that. Even if you're addicted to painkillers prescribed from an injury, I still think it's stupid for that person to start taking heroin to fuel their opiate addiction. There are plenty of other ways to try to ease the painkiller addiction that doesn't involve a stupid decision like taking heroin
Heroin is cheaper. Please give me a better way to ease the misery of addiction that doesn't involve heroin or going cold turkey, particularly when strapped for cash (which is the situation when people most often resort to heroin).

Not everyone has your apparent heroic willpower while under the grasp of an opioid addiction.

Fugu

V_Arnold said:
1) Nobody kills them, they are killing themselves. I assume times are very grim there, especially in rural areas, but that still does not make it right to destroy your body in the form of an "escape".

2) I do not get this attitude. Take what you want but really, drug is drug for a reason. It is a dozen different chemicals which messes up your body to a certain extent. You might think it is okay to allow "heroin" or not judge heroin-users, but in reality, you need to take even the simple stuff like bread and butter in moderation, not to mention alcohol or coffeine. Addictions needs to be treated, but the highest possible regulation is needed for stuffs like this, because let us face reality: even if you become addicted to a FUCKING EXPENSIVE drug, you will most likely not be able to pay for it month after month with a farming job in Russia. Therefore, it is not for you. You literally sacrifice everything around you including yourself while hunting cheap replacements like this down.

Then who is at fault? The fucker who introduced drugs to a poor person or someone who might be too dependant. Hunt them down. Hunt them.
I don't really understand what you're debating here, to be honest.

dudeworld said:
But you are judging that decision from the position of someone who is notably (probably) not addicted to opiates. The entire premise of an addiction is the repeated, irrational acquisition of something that you know is bad for you in spite of the consequences. Addicts of heroin don't take heroin to get high, they take heroin to get normal.

andycapps

This is crazy.. The biggest new drug I've seen to come out is people that are snorting bath salts. A cousin of my wife's works in a youth rehab place and he said that the usage has exploded and that it's really dangerous.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
GasProblem said:
Youtube'd "Коаксил" :

"Oh, that's not that bad. Wait...what. No. No. Nooooo."
Jesus, the stuff on youtube is absolutely insane. Nasty nasty stuff.

Macattk15

Wow. I'm usually not disturbed in the least by graphic pictures due to desensitization over the years, but this brought it to another level.

WHY?! Why do they take this? I can't imagine ANY feeling or high you could obtain from this mess would outweight watching your arm fall off.

Then again I've never taken a single drug or been addicted to anything other than caffeine so I don't really know what the mind of an addict is like .... but ...

Jesus hell WHY!?

xbhaskarx

Whoa I just read the Time magazine article on Krokodil last night and it gave me nightmares, and now there is a whole thread on it. The whole time I was wondering what it looks like, but I haven't mustered up the courage to look at photos or video yet...

"gasoline, paint thinner, hydrochloric acid, iodine and red phosphorous"
Who is the first person who thought mixing those ingredients together and injecting it into their veins would be a good idea?

Conceptor

Goddamn the human body is a fantastic thing, to be able to put up with this kind of abuse. I read the list of ingredients in the OP and laughed at how stupid it seemed.. and then I saw the links and videos and oh god the videos ...

Biff

xbhaskarx said:
"gasoline, paint thinner, hydrochloric acid, iodine and red phosphorous"
Who is the first person who thought mixing those ingredients together and injecting it into their veins would be a good idea?
My guess is an educated drug dealer chemist.

I'm sure they made it themselves, then were selling it as an uber-drug. Someone found out how to make it themselves, and now they are trying to cook it themselves poorly.

I can understand why people take them. You're homeless. In Russia. Can't think of a worse place to be homeless really.. Take cheaply made drugs to numbs you for the next year until you die. Painless escape - you don't feel or understand the damage you are doing, because you are a mindless zombie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom