• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

cooper59

Banned
I just got my PS4 Pro and after a week of use, I have never encountered the black screen flicker problem yet. I used the same HDMI cable I used with my old PS4 (since I know that one works well with HDR) and use Auto (which does send a 4:2:2 signal) together with my KS9000.

Could the problem just really be cable related, because I actually have 1 or 2 cables that do exhibit issues with HDR and/or deep color.
its 100% cale related. When i went to a good cable[still under 10 dollars] problem went away. have never had it since

Boss Man

its 100% cale related. When i went to a good cable[still under 10 dollars] problem went away. have never had it since
I think there’s more to it than that. I experienced blackouts on PS4 Pro with the stock cable, along with appropriately spec’d cables from both Amazon and Monoprice. Only thing that stopped it was turning off Auto. Hasn’t happened on Xbox One X.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Honestly I think something is wrong with XBOX One X. The colors are correct and I don't have black crush, but the random black screens issue is back for me when I set the XBOX to 8 bit-Color depth and PC RGB. I don't have this issue with my PS4 Pro. I just set it to 10-bit and standard (recommended) on the XBOX and forget about it.

Setting the XBOX to 8-bit standard (recommended) and the KS8000 to LOW should give you the correct colors.
It's not the xbox. It happens with my pro as well. I've also noticed the "red/blue" colour separation glitch happening more frequently as of late.

I've had nothing but issues with this TV and as soon as I have some spare cash I'm upgrading it. Last Samsung I will ever own.

TexasAce

Neophyte
I think there’s more to it than that. I experienced blackouts on PS4 Pro with the stock cable, along with appropriately spec’d cables from both Amazon and Monoprice. Only thing that stopped it was turning off Auto. Hasn’t happened on Xbox One X.

Same here.

I used the stock cable, and Amazon cable, and then a high-end gold-tipped cable, and it happened with each.

It was when I found that post and turned off Auto that the blackouts completely stopped.

cooper59

Banned
Same here.

I used the stock cable, and Amazon cable, and then a high-end gold-tipped cable, and it happened with each.

It was when I found that post and turned off Auto that the blackouts completely stopped.
gold tip means nothing. what you need is at least 18gbs cable. if its not fast enough you get blackouts

philm87

On the Pro I've just resorted to sticking it to YUV420 and there's never any flicker. The issue is caused by YUV422 sending more data and either the cable or ports can't handle it all the time.

I looked in the service menu and there's loads of HDMI settings in there, I wonder if any can help with this, but don't really have an idea of what I'm looking at in there.

cooper59

Banned
now on the xbox its seems to be different. i had the blackouts with the pro and cables worked for me. now i believe on the xbox x when you set it for 420 its doing everything 10 bit even if the game is only 8 bit[non HDR], which has caused problems for people.. but the xbox x if you do rgb[8 bit panel] it runs great and for HDR it switches yuv420 when a HDR game is played. Really problem is everything is completely different on how its implemented.

fabrizio5680

Neo Member
Does anyone use or recommend a good 4K HDR switch/splitter to extend output from a single output AVR. I would prefer something that I don't need to switch manually so I thought a splitter might suite?? I have no idea what the state of stability etc is on these products.. I want to split/switch the signal towards another TV input for settings movie/game mode.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Point is, no matter which cable I used I still got blackouts.

When I made the switch to YUV420 from Auto, I have not had a single blackout since.

This is literally the samething that happened to me too. It's not the cables at all.

This is literally the samething that happened to me too. It's not the cables at all.

The blackouts/dropouts are caused by some part of the chain not keeping up with the data. Whether that's the source device, the cable, the TV, or some piece of equipment in-between (a switchbox, a receiver, a soundbar, etc.). The reason YUV420 fixes it is because it pushes less data down the path. The problem is usually the cable, but it could certainly be a defective source, TV, or any other device in the chain.

cooper59

Banned
he says this march,lol. dont believe anything he says. i have learned to play on movies. changes to HDR and i dont notice any more lag

johnwayne117

Neophyte
Hi guys, do anyone managed to get assassin's creed origins hdr with ks8000? With rgb full 8 bit 444, and hdr on in game the screen is purple and bad. When i go 422 12 bit, it is kinda works (it worked with shadow of war) but in menu dark areas is over bright and i can see gradient in menu from whites to grey and dark (wtf!), in game it is looks kinda ok. So is there is a right way to run the game? What tv settings do you use? What nvidia settings? What win10 settings?
When i use 422 12 bit, win 10 hdr on, game hdr on, tv in blu ray source\game console with game mode on=is it right way?(If so why then menu looks like poop)

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ok, so amazingly, Samsung offered to replace my 65KS8000 screen for me...

Which has me a bit worried, because they haven’t produced this model for ages and it’s been out of circulation for a long time. So I have this horrible feeling that they will be replacing it with an inferior panel...

Sadly, my eyes are that tuned, I’ll be able to tell right away. Which will be fun.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys, do anyone managed to get assassin's creed origins hdr with ks8000? With rgb full 8 bit 444, and hdr on in game the screen is purple and bad. When i go 422 12 bit, it is kinda works (it worked with shadow of war) but in menu dark areas is over bright and i can see gradient in menu from whites to grey and dark (wtf!), in game it is looks kinda ok. So is there is a right way to run the game? What tv settings do you use? What nvidia settings? What win10 settings?
When i use 422 12 bit, win 10 hdr on, game hdr on, tv in blu ray source\game console with game mode on=is it right way?(If so why then menu looks like poop)
Works on my 7000 just fine.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Can't be higher than 37ms at 4k native. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone would be impossible to play properly at 110 ms. Fighting games seem fine as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

base

Banned
Nah. I will stick with Disabled for testing purposes.

Colo Space Auto or Custom settings proposed by rtings for both movie and game mode?

Genei_Jin

Neo Member
The blackouts/dropouts are caused by some part of the chain not keeping up with the data. Whether that's the source device, the cable, the TV, or some piece of equipment in-between (a switchbox, a receiver, a soundbar, etc.). The reason YUV420 fixes it is because it pushes less data down the path. The problem is usually the cable, but it could certainly be a defective source, TV, or any other device in the chain.
It turned out to be not the cable in my case. I power cycle the TV (unplug the power cord for 1 minute) and it works without black screens for a few weeks until the issue randomly returns. I learned to live with it. The issue seems to be with the TV and/or firmware.

I hope Samsung continues to look into these annoying issues. At this point, this TV will be my secondary once HDMI 2.1 is fully implemented in a mid/high range HDTV hopefully in 2019.

AorUlfheoinn

Neo Member
Hello.
I have this settings that I have used in the last year. I tried other settings but I always returned to this configuration since I think it looks the best.
You can try them for you. Maybe they will help you.

Movies mode settings

SDR BT.709 with Ambient Light – 300 nits

Movie mode (SDR)
Backlight: 16
Brightness: 41
Contrast: 85
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Custom 10+7
Smart LED: Low
HDMI Black Level: Auto
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Color Tone: Warm2
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Custom

HDR with Ambient Light – 1350+ nits
Movie Mode (HDR)
Backlight: 20
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Custom 10+7
Smart LED: High
Color Tone: Warm2
White Balance
2 Point
R-Off -10
G-Off 0
B-Off -8
R-Gain -6
G-Gain -6
B-Gain 0

10 Point
10%
Red -10
Green -3
Blue 0
20%
30%
40%
50%
60%
Color Space
Red

Green

Blue

Yellow

Cyan

Magenta

Game mode settings:

Backlight: 11
Contrast: 84
Sharpness: 20
Digital Clean View: N/A
Auto Motion Plus: Custom, Blur Reduction: N/A
Smart LED: Low
Color Tone: Warm1

HDR Game mode settings:

Backlight 20
Brightness 41
Contrast 98
Color 50
Sharpness: 20
Smart LED High
All processing stuff off
Color Tone: Warm1
Gamma: +1

White Balance
2 point
R offset -2
G offset 0
B offset -4
R gain 0
G gain 0
B gain 7

10 point

10%

20%

30%

40%

50%

60%

70%

80%

Color Space
Red
Red 28
Green 8
Blue 4

Green
Red 28
Green 50
Blue 10

Blue
Red 2
Green 7
Blue 40

Yellow
Red 50
Green 47
Blue 7
Cyan
Red 24
Green 46
Blue 48

Magenta
Red 34
Green 14
Blue 45

AorUlfheoinn

Neo Member
I know what are you saying but the light from the sun in my room is very powerful. Besides that, I think that the compensation comes from lower contrast and brightness.
All the setting that I tried made the picture dim and without the punch that I wanted.

Why not use PC mode instead of Game mode with consoles so the HDR auto adjusting works?

The input lag is about 50ms instead of 30ms. Hardly a deal breaker.

I doubt Sammy are ever going to address this now, regardless of what that guy keeps saying.

Dibils2k

Why not use PC mode instead of Game mode with consoles so the HDR auto adjusting works?

I doubt Sammy are ever going to address this now, regardless of what that guy keeps saying.
HDR in pc mode is broken!! never use that

colors are off and its way too bright

^They're not going to address the HDR Game Mode thing. Neither is HDR10+ support coming.

I'm not ever getting another TV from Samsung again, unless I have absolutely no other option.

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

PC mode HDR is somewhat broken, at least for me on my KS9000. See my previous post here

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ks8000-settings-for-gaming-at-4k-hdr.1308315/page-198#post-253100608

In my experience it works with just activating it in the game. Win 10 hdr is bugged so I never use it.
They added an HDR toggle ingame now? The demo didn’t have one and required you to enable it in Windows first

Last edited:

A.Romero

PC mode HDR is somewhat broken, at least for me on my KS9000. See my previous post here

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ks8000-settings-for-gaming-at-4k-hdr.1308315/page-198#post-253100608

They added an HDR toggle ingame now? The demo didn’t have one and required you to enable it in Windows first

I'm not sure for this particular game but that's how it works for other games like RE7. Nex Machina activates it automatically.

In my experience if it doesn't have a toggle then it's always on (providing you have a compatible screen).

Windows settings do not apply.

ss_lemonade

In my experience it works with just activating it in the game. Win 10 hdr is bugged so I never use it.
I'm not sure for this particular game but that's how it works for other games like RE7. Nex Machina activates it automatically.

In my experience if it doesn't have a toggle then it's always on (providing you have a compatible screen).

Windows settings do not apply.
I wonder if it’s related to this game having a Windows Store version as well, so maybe same codebase. Forza 7’s demo was another where I noticed it required you to enable HDR in Windows first (which I think is pretty dumb).

I agree though that it is buggy. Another problem I have is more than half the time, I get an really dim and reddish display with HDR. Only way to fix it is to touch the nvidia control panel color settings. The simple action of clicking “Use Nvidia Settings” fixes it. I have to also do this everytime I restart because it does not stick.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I wonder if it’s related to this game having a Windows Store version as well, so maybe same codebase. Forza 7’s demo was another where I noticed it required you to enable HDR in Windows first (which I think is pretty dumb).

I agree though that it is buggy. Another problem I have is more than half the time, I get an really dim and reddish display with HDR. Only way to fix it is to touch the nvidia control panel color settings. The simple action of clicking “Use Nvidia Settings” fixes it. I have to also do this everytime I restart because it does not stick.

Haven't played any Windows Store games (nor FFXV, just finished on PS4) so I'm not sure what happens in those cases...

The color stuff is crazy though. Are you using PC mode?

I haven't seen that issue but I'm not connecting the PC directly to the TV, I going through a Receiver so maybe it changes something.

I'm also using standard mode. I'm not very sensitive to lag.

ss_lemonade

Haven't played any Windows Store games (nor FFXV, just finished on PS4) so I'm not sure what happens in those cases...

The color stuff is crazy though. Are you using PC mode?

I haven't seen that issue but I'm not connecting the PC directly to the TV, I going through a Receiver so maybe it changes something.

I'm also using standard mode. I'm not very sensitive to lag.
No, I stopped using PC mode after discovering the remote combo trick to force game mode always. I’m also connected to a receiver so I’m not sure what causes this problem. It also only happens with my PC.

j0hnnix

I ended up purchasing a Sony 930e to replace my ks8000. Im debating selling the KS8000 or moving it to the bedroom. It's a shame Samsung left a sour note with me.. I started to like the tv after the 3rd panel replacement but no hdr+ or game mode fix is a meh.. the tv now still looks great.. if the Sony comes bad keep the ks8000 for a bit longer in the living room.

AntsaK2

Neo Member
I have connected Samsung HW-K460 soundbar and subwoofer with SW-A8000S rear speakers to my KS80000. Connection is via HDMI to ARC port. With Nintendo Switch, PS3 and TVs built in apps this setup works great. However when using with my PC through GTX1070 HDMI port soundbars front speakers and Subwoofer will not output any sound.

When asking solution for this problem earlier I learned that HDMI connection will not enable surround sound in Windows 10 so I bought this USB sound card http://www.terratec.net/details.php?artnr=10715#.WqT39OjFJnk

I connected my setup now with optical cable to this sound card but problem still persists. Any ideas how I could tackle this problem?

Top Bottom