• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
It's 30fps on XB1, which is what I was using.

You are indeed correct I'm sorry.

I've just tested it myself. Its nice and smooth. I can see slight judder on the distant trees and mountains but nowhere near as bad as other games ive tried.

FPS and TPS have been typically bad for me.

Traxtech

Very happy for you. LG B6 is an incredible TV, but at £1,000 extra I simply can't afford.
To take your TV back, I'm assuming you were suffering from same as me?

You in UK? Which model of Sammy did you have?
Many thanks

It was more expensive but I'd rather spend extra vs regretting my purchase everytime I look at it. Im from Australia and had a KS8000 which is the KS7000 in the UK I'm pretty sure.

One thing I will say though, if you love how bright the Samsung can get, the oled doesn't even come close lol but smashes it in every other department

Link_enfant

It was more expensive but I'd rather spend extra vs regretting my purchase everytime I look at it. Im from Australia and had a KS8000 which is the KS7000 in the UK I'm pretty sure.

One thing I will say though, if you love how bright the Samsung can get, the oled doesn't even come close lol but smashes it in every other department
What about input lag in Game mode for LG B6 though?

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

That's true, Sammy is very bright, but my goodness the LG though!

So with your KS8000 I take it you had loads of judder or was it other issues you had?

So I had to swap out my KS8000 for bad light bleed. The new set is good, but the old ks8000 would switch to hdr, up the backlight to 20 by itself, and make all the adjustments needed. The new one doesn't do that. If HDR comes on for something like forza horizon 3, I have to switch everything. Anyone know what setting would cause things to change automatically for HDR enabled content?

krang

I've just tested it myself. Its nice and smooth. I can see slight judder on the distant trees and mountains but nowhere near as bad as other games ive tried.

I'll try Gears 4 later in campaign and see if that's different.

So I had to swap out my KS8000 for bad light bleed. The new set is good, but the old ks8000 would switch to hdr, up the backlight to 20 by itself, and make all the adjustments needed. The new one doesn't do that. If HDR comes on for something like forza horizon 3, I have to switch everything. Anyone know what setting would cause things to change automatically for HDR enabled content?

Is the firmware up to date?

d.cay

Neo Member
As far as the great sharpness debate goes, I actually managed to see a lot more of the effects of the sharpness slider by highlighting the Trophies icon on the PS4 XMB in 4K

Thank you very much, that is indeed a brilliant way to see it!

I used the 4K calibration images on the Sbone, the 1080p images from the Apple TV, and the 4K Pro UI. See the video below for clarification on ringing. Skip ahead to 2:30.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rnAaqy7mRLQ

Best place to see it distinctly is on a simple image with white and black lines (or clearly defined shapes and letters) on a grey background. Crank your sharpness to full, and you'll see it clear as day: white halos around bits of geometry in the picture. Reduce sharpness until there's no sign of these halos, but don't go so low that you notice lines distorting and bleeding into one another.

Thank you, too! I did the above mentioned test with the trophies icon, which got dark outlines when cranking up sharpness. I then decided to leave sharpness at 0. For now. :D

ss_lemonade

Again, that's great news. Did you say your TV was KS8000 or KS9000 are you from UK? So I can find UK appropriate model.

Many thanks
US, so it's the UN65KS9000 here. That would make it the ks8000 there I believe (what was the point of Samsung making the names slightly different per region??)

R-User!

My Auto-Update was set to OFF before my TV auto-updated from 1154 to 1155.

It is still set to OFF even after the unallowed auto-update.

That's some bullshit right?

odin9450

I've been playing FFXV with motion plus on and Judder reduction turned all the way to max. The game feels so smooth. It's like 60fps. I think it's useful especially for 30fps single player games.

styl3s

My Auto-Update was set to OFF before my TV auto-updated from 1154 to 1155.

It is still set to OFF even after the unallowed auto-update.

That's some bullshit right?
Yeah mine updated to 1155 even though i had mine off.

I am not on my third HDMI hooked up to my PC and i still get this weird static bar that pops up on the screen randomly which is pretty goddamn frustrating.

FML. This outbreak of judder talk has made me notice judder while watching a movie from my PC. It was probably due to the source, but ghfdsgmfdgngngh. I can't handle expensive purchases without constantly second-guessing it.
Is it an outbreak? I have only seen a handful of people complain.

ss_lemonade

So uh, I guess hang on to your 1080p sets if you want to play a PS3 game ? Tried 5 different PS3 games and every one of them looks astronomically worse than on my old 1080p set. The entire screen is covered in aliasing on every line on the screen, even in games like The Last of Us. I loaded up the start of the woods before Bill's Town, and the entire screen is just shimmering, there's even aliasing on the side of every single blade of grass and on all sides of character models. My old samsung 1080p actually removed aliasing somehow while edge enhancing made textures look clearer at the same time.

It's unreal bad. Game mode, movie mode, any settings at all, can't fix anything. You either choose heavy vaseline filter (with bad aliasing anyway) or increase sharpness for disgusting levels of jaggies. The image also doesn't track properly when you rotate the camera in game, the picture just dissolves into blurs and stutters. Infamous Festival of Blood is almost disorienting how bad it is. Everyone with last gen consoles is just fine with this ? Look at the full size.
I only have Infamous 2 and that game looked really bad on my bravia w900a (almost like your screens, but without the artifical sharpening)

EDIT:
Here are some comparisons with Infamous 2 between my w900a and a ks9000. Maybe you just has some settings off with the ks8000 (seeing as how both the 8000 and 9000 are extremely similar) or you had some special post processing going on with your older TV, because my ps3 on both the sony and samsung sets are nearly identical, both in PQ and motion quality. I use game mode with no auto motion plus. 0 sharpness on the samsung, 50 sharpness on the sony (50 is apparently its default, no extra sharpness setting)

w900a
aAeTi1R.jpg

ks9000

w900a

ks9000

I cannot get my Samsung Sounbar to turn on automatically with my KS8000, it's such a pain. I forget my Soundbar model number but it's a recent model. Anyone know off the top of their head how to do this?

Shancake

The model you are looking for is the KS7005. I am not quite sure if the KS8005 or KS9005 are different other than the stand.

Ah. I'm in Australia so not sure how model numbers work but the KS8000 comes in 55" and 65" and the KS8005 comes in 60" and apparently uses a Sharp panel?

Robiin

I cannot get my Samsung Sounbar to turn on automatically with my KS8000, it's such a pain. I forget my Soundbar model number but it's a recent model. Anyone know off the top of their head how to do this?
I have the same issue. But it always turns off when I turn the TV off. Really weird. Connected wirlessly if that makes a difference.

krang

Just an update, now I've had more time with my UK 7000.

I've set my set top box (Sky Q, in this case) settings as per rtings, and for my XB1S I've done the same, albeit in game mode and HDR.

I've not seen any judder at all. I've watched a movie, sport (F1, specifically) on my Sky box, and I've played FH3 and I played the entire prologue in Gears of War 4 @ 30fps, but nothing at all.

It might be that I'm not sensitive to it, but I find that unlikely because I can normally tell when I see frame drops, can easily tell the difference between 30 and 60fps, and I am really sensitive to motion processing on older TVs where the frame rate is all over the place (when, irritatingly, other people seem to not notice).

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
For the sake of not having to go through the entire thread for multiple settings, did we as a whole decide on a singular "THE BEST SETTING" for the TV - PS4Pro HDR combination yet?

Wheatly

For some reason, it is automatic when I connect the sound bar to the tv using a hdmi cable - but is manual if using the optical port.

Carnby

After mounting my KS8000, the screen had lines that caused a rainbow effect. Is it possible that the mounting itself damaged the tv, or was it something I did while mounting?

Xamdou

So I have the 800D model, which is basically the Costco equivalent of the KS8000, when I click on inputs nothing there shows up?

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Just an update, now I've had more time with my UK 7000.

I've set my set top box (Sky Q, in this case) settings as per rtings, and for my XB1S I've done the same, albeit in game mode and HDR.

I've not seen any judder at all. I've watched a movie, sport (F1, specifically) on my Sky box, and I've played FH3 and I played the entire prologue in Gears of War 4 @ 30fps, but nothing at all.

It might be that I'm not sensitive to it, but I find that unlikely because I can normally tell when I see frame drops, can easily tell the difference between 30 and 60fps, and I am really sensitive to motion processing on older TVs where the frame rate is all over the place (when, irritatingly, other people seem to not notice).

You star. Very happy that yours is working out. I'm in a bit of a pickle now. I really don't know whether to box this TV up and take it back to Currys in Preston in the hope a replacement will be fine. Or live with it. These TVs are so delicate that I could damage in boxing back up. Wish I could see a 7000 TV up and running so i would know if mine really is faulty.

I completely trust you Krang. If you're good at spotting frame drops you would notice judder.

legbone

After mounting my KS8000, the screen had lines that caused a rainbow effect. Is it possible that the mounting itself damaged the tv, or was it something I did while mounting?

Stop screwing your TV. But seriously, I think if you inadvertently put too much pressure on the front of the panel, it could cause some damage that would do this. Kind of like pressing on the screen with your finger will do. I have heard of people "massaging" a stuck pixel back to life. Maybe you could gently massage it and help. Be very gentle though, as I'd hate to see you do more damage. That's if I completely understand what you are saying. Maybe post a pic so we can have a look. Sorry if I have misunderstood and someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

krang

You star. Very happy that yours is working out. I'm in a bit of a pickle now. I really don't know whether to box this TV up and take it back to Currys in Preston in the hope a replacement will be fine. Or live with it. These TVs are so delicate that I could damage in boxing back up. Wish I could see a 7000 TV up and running so i would know if mine really is faulty.

I completely trust you Krang. If you're good at spotting frame drops you would notice judder.

I bought mine from John Lewis (it's £899 at the moment), who I would highly recommend. They had one to look at at my nearest store in MK. I guess Manc is the nearest one to you? Might be worth popping in and asking if they can show you anything other than the standard showreel.

What about this: I'm not seeing the problem in Gears 4, but do you, assuming you have it? If it's as bad as you say, then if you record it on your phone or something and upload it, I can maybe tell you whether that's what I'm seeing or it's worse.

ss_lemonade

What about this: I'm not seeing the problem in Gears 4, but do you, assuming you have it? If it's as bad as you say, then if you record it on your phone or something and upload it, I can maybe tell you whether that's what I'm seeing or it's worse.
Is it even normal for some TVs of the same model to behave differently when it comes to things like judder? I don't have juddering issues as well and I'm used to seeing 30, 60 and 120fps, as well as recognizing badly interpolated scenes with my older TV. But then again, I have a different, but nearly similar TV (ks9000)

chaosaeon

I only have Infamous 2 and that game looked really bad on my bravia w900a (almost like your screens, but without the artifical sharpening)

EDIT:
Here are some comparisons with Infamous 2 between my w900a and a ks9000. Maybe you just has some settings off with the ks8000 (seeing as how both the 8000 and 9000 are extremely similar) or you had some special post processing going on with your older TV, because my ps3 on both the sony and samsung sets are nearly identical, both in PQ and motion quality. I use game mode with no auto motion plus. 0 sharpness on the samsung, 50 sharpness on the sony (50 is apparently its default, no extra sharpness setting)

I hadn't considered this. My old TV is a 32' LCD Samsung 1080p (I should find out which model) and it literally made every game look better. There was less aliasing in every game VS other 1080p sets I played on (on another 1080p set I tried Dishonored has jaggies on tall grass at the main menu but on my TV there were none and everything else was more clear), while still having sharper looking textures too (the edge enhancement function enhanced the appearance of textures to look more crisp but didn't introduce any new aliasing) and I'm guessing, the noise removal on this old TV thinks jaggies are noise and is actually removing/minimizing them somehow ? Is my old TV just magic or something ?

kowhai

For the sake of not having to go through the entire thread for multiple settings, did we as a whole decide on a singular "THE BEST SETTING" for the TV - PS4Pro HDR combination yet?

I'm interested in this as well. So many pages to read through and so many updates, I can't keep up.

Aces&Eights

My Tv is here and set up. I feel overwhelmed. The last two weeks of taking notes and reading this thread and my mind has lost it all. Anyone have a quick synopsis of best settings for my PS4 and then one for HD cable? I havn't even turned on my PS4 yet as I am still trying to get my regular cable set up properly. Then I have to log into Netflix and fiddle with the 4k streaming stuff.

4KGAF please help.

My Tv is here and set up. I feel overwhelmed. The last two weeks of taking notes and reading this thread and my mind has lost it all. Anyone have a quick synopsis of best settings for my PS4 and then one for HD cable? I havn't even turned on my PS4 yet as I am still trying to get my regular cable set up properly. Then I have to log into Netflix and fiddle with the 4k streaming stuff.
My head still hurts finding the answer for the rest of your post, but as far as 4K Netflix goes -- so long as you use the app on the tv, rather than the one on your PS4, everything should just take care of itself.

4K content requires the more expensive subscription plan, and then there's a specific 4K section for things filmed in 4K (i.e. "The Crown"). Whatever you settle upon for your movie mode settings should work fine with it.

If you have a prime subscription, trying firing up "The Grand Tour" (the new unofficial Top Gear show) on Prime. You'll know within 10 seconds if the 4K HDR is working as it should.

plake

Same boat also arc is super hit or miss so I switched to optical out

Samsung soundbar with arc works flawless here. I have it connected through hdmi with the the hdmi cable in the arc port on the tv (check back for label) and the hdmi tv port on the bar.

Turns on and off with the tv. No sound dropout either. First time you have to go to the settings and chose the bar as the speaker though. Never after that again. Hope you guys can get it to work!

Carnby

Stop screwing your TV. But seriously, I think if you inadvertently put too much pressure on the front of the panel, it could cause some damage that would do this. Kind of like pressing on the screen with your finger will do. I have heard of people "massaging" a stuck pixel back to life. Maybe you could gently massage it and help. Be very gentle though, as I'd hate to see you do more damage. That's if I completely understand what you are saying. Maybe post a pic so we can have a look. Sorry if I have misunderstood and someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You got it. And it was a good suggestion. Maybe the screws were too tight.

Regardless I returned the TV and I'm about to mount the replacement.

Belker

I think someone on avforums had something similar and it was to do with the tightness of the screws or something. I assume they took it back off the wall and noticed the difference.

EDIT - this forum moves pretty fast.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I bought mine from John Lewis (it's £899 at the moment), who I would highly recommend. They had one to look at at my nearest store in MK. I guess Manc is the nearest one to you? Might be worth popping in and asking if they can show you anything other than the standard showreel.

Hi Krang, sorry for late response. Been at cinema watching Rogue One which is brilliant.
I do have a youtube account. I'll try and capture what I'm seeing and upload.

I don't have Gears 4 but my friend does. I'll try and borrow it.
Other than that, I can upload dishonored and GTAV etc.

Once again a huge thanks.

ss_lemonade

Hi Krang, sorry for late response. Been at cinema watching Rogue One which is brilliant.
I do have a youtube account. I'll try and capture what I'm seeing and upload.

I don't have Gears 4 but my friend does. I'll try and borrow it.
Other than that, I can upload dishonored and GTAV etc.

Once again a huge thanks.
I think it'll help if you can record in 60fps or higher. Will make catching stutters much easier, even on content with lesser framerates

Got mine today:

https://youtu.be/YYoyrmyfN8U

God damn I love this TV. Only playing Pro-less Street Fighter V in this off-screen video, but it's so heavenly and I could feel an ever so slight difference in input lag too, even though my old Samsung wasn't a problem. The actual Pro patch games are something else. I was like 6 or 7 years late to HD and never had bigger than 32" so this is like king status for me.

I'm still working on my settings, though. I spec'd to the games I play most and adjusted tuned from there for overall consistency. Seems perfect for 90% of stuff, but then FFXV's color saturation and softness throws me for a loop.

I get my KS8000 next week, and I've been taking notes. Feels like studying for an exam sometimes. I'm still not sure if I have the correct information.

Maybe a sticky at the top of the thread with the latest definitive answers maybe?

Hah, I'm in the same boat as you. 65" KS8000 comes next week and my head is swimming with all the information in this thread. Probably going to start here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsTHtQ8hI1U and hope it puts me on the right path.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Hi all,
Below are YouTube recordings of what I'm currently experiencing with the KS7000.

Any game that runs @ or around 60fps looks and runs buttery smooth. Very happy!!

Any game that runs @ around 30fps and the image judders to the point of being unacceptable.

Battlefront @ 60 fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKU5p3ZSKUk
Dishonored DE @ 30 fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dwx8mtU_gI
Deus Ex MD @ 30 fps (recorded @ 60fps): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhiEbxCRbWQ
Deus Ex MD @ 30fps (recorded @ 30fps): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgasZXZPNYE

As stated above any game at 60fps is glorious.
Any game @ 30fps such as GTAV, Deus Ex, Dishonored, Bloodborne etc look totally horrendous.

Anybody else experiencing this? Is this a dud panel or should I be putting my expectations in check?

This is with recommended settings, in game mode. Outside of game mode Auto motion displays very bad artefacts and controller lag is terrible.

*** Important point. Any pausing you see IS NOT the TV its my Galaxy S6 phone crapping out. Concentrate only on the judder.

Many thanks

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I've been playing FFXV with motion plus on and Judder reduction turned all the way to max. The game feels so smooth. It's like 60fps. I think it's useful especially for 30fps single player games.

Oh nice tip, tried this just before feels silky as!

I'm going to have to get used to tuning every game individually, is there a way to create game profiles on your TV? God damn that would be useful.....

Aces&Eights

My head still hurts finding the answer for the rest of your post, but as far as 4K Netflix goes -- so long as you use the app on the tv, rather than the one on your PS4, everything should just take care of itself.

4K content requires the more expensive subscription plan, and then there's a specific 4K section for things filmed in 4K (i.e. "The Crown"). Whatever you settle upon for your movie mode settings should work fine with it.

If you have a prime subscription, trying firing up "The Grand Tour" (the new unofficial Top Gear show) on Prime. You'll know within 10 seconds if the 4K HDR is working as it should.

Thanks for the help! You are correct, I have the 4K plan and it literally just streamed everything in 4K from the TV app. Whew. I think I have my PS4 set up OK but I can't tell whats supposed to be "correct" I am playing ESO on it immediately said "Oh, you have a 4K TV. Your video output will be in 4K. I went to the PS4 settings and everything is turned to automatic. I think it's working? The trees now look like the belong in The Witness....

I get my KS8000 next week, and I've been taking notes. Feels like studying for an exam sometimes. I'm still not sure if I have the correct information.

Maybe a sticky at the top of the thread with the latest definitive answers maybe?

Make sure to go into your TV settings right away and go to Support then software update to get the latest firmware update. The rest, I think, it not that bad. Netflix worked all on its own. My PS4 "appears" to have adjusted to the TV and is outputting 4k. It looks phenomenal. I'm now trying to determine if things are a little too saturated or not but I think that part comes down to personal preference and you can go into your TV and adjust thing. I'm loving this TV.

Anybody else experiencing this? Is this a dud panel or should I be putting my expectations in check?

I am jumping on now after getting everything set up. I don't have Dishonored or Deus Ex but I do have Bloodborne and some other 30fps games. I'm come back in a bit and post my results.

Carnby

I think someone on avforums had something similar and it was to do with the tightness of the screws or something. I assume they took it back off the wall and noticed the difference.

EDIT - this forum moves pretty fast.

New TV mounted without issue. I made a point to not over tighten the screws. I hope other potential buyers take this as a warning.

ss_lemonade

Hi all,
Below are YouTube recordings of what I'm currently experiencing with the KS7000.
Can't really tell from the the DE videos but that Dishonored one, yikes. You sure the game just doesn't have bad frame pacing issues? Looks like it consistently jerks every other second.

krang

Hi all,

Any game that runs @ or around 60fps looks and runs buttery smooth. Very happy!!

Any game that runs @ around 30fps and the image judders to the point of being unacceptable.

Battlefront @ 60 fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKU5p3ZSKUk
Dishonored DE @ 30 fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dwx8mtU_gI
Deus Ex MD @ 30 fps (recorded @ 60fps): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhiEbxCRbWQ
Deus Ex MD @ 30fps (recorded @ 30fps): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgasZXZPNYE

As stated above any game at 60fps is glorious.
Any game @ 30fps such as GTAV, Deus Ex, Dishonored, Bloodborne etc look totally horrendous.

This is with recommended settings, in game mode. Outside of game mode Auto motion displays very bad artefacts and controller lag is terrible.

*** Important point. Any pausing you see IS NOT the TV its my Galaxy S6 phone crapping out. Concentrate only on the judder.

Many thanks

I don't see it in the Deus Ex 30fps vid, but I can see it with Dishonored. I don't have either of those, unfortunately. However I wasn't rotating the view slowly during gameplay to see it, so I tried that with Gears 4 and GTAV. I don't see judder in either of those.

If I get a chance today I'll record it and let you see.

Do you see the same problem with movies?

Top Bottom