• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Noire causing older PS3s (fw 3.61), XB360s, to overheat/freeze; patch coming

ghst

thanks for the laugh
seems people have been having issues with their ps3s giving up on them mid-sleuth. this reply comes from people at rockstar support, who have reproduced the problem:

Rockstar said:
We have received some reports of PS3s overheating while playing L.A. Noire or beeping three times before shutting down/turning themselves off, mostly on older 60GB and 80GB fat models.

Primary reports seem to be that updating to firmware 3.61 will cause PlayStations to overheat. There have been various reports of this on a few different games now, all reporting their PS3s turning off or "Red Lighting" after having installed 3.61. This can range from games randomly freezing to PS3s turning off anywhere between 30 mins use to 2 hours. We have confirmed locally that multiple games (Rockstar and non-Rockstar) overheat or freeze only when 3.61 is installed.

At this time we are recommending contacting Sony directly to report the overheating issue. However, this is not the end of our support; we are continuing to test L.A. Noire on all firmware versions and hardware models to isolate the issues and see what can be done. As always, we will update this article as soon as we have updates.

http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/20127883-ps3s-shutting-themselves-off-while-playing-l-a-noire

sony is on fire!

heyf00L

Alright, Sony, this is your chance to match Microsoft's Xbox replacement when their firmware screwed things up.

demolitio

I guess that explains why I had to turn my volume way up just to hear L.A. Noire over the sound of my PS3 (newer slim) unless the game just has the system constantly reading and the fans turned up.

Goddammit, I was going to get back on PSN, update and remove my CC/play MVC3 tonight.

Welp, gonna keep it off until they get new FW then. I'm still rocking my old 60GB PS3 fat with BC, and I'll die if it gets messed up in any way. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't even play/have LA Noir and mine is Overheated/YLoD even though I treated mine like a high-class hooker. I dusted, played it in cold rooms, etc. and it's YLoD from this firmware.

The culprit? Playing Bad Company 2 for a few hours with PS3 GAF online. >:|

IMad.gif Sony better be offering a replacement plan for this shit.

V_Ben

Banned
Loudninja said:
Everytime a firmware release people claim this.Also this makes no sense.

True. Every firmware update you get these reports really...

Edit: Although, Rockstar has been doing some testing...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Loudninja said:
But this time is a dev.
They said they tested it and its true.

SONY sucks this gen.

R2D4

Banned
demolitio said:
I guess that explains why I had to turn my volume way up just to hear L.A. Noire over the sound of my PS3 (newer slim).

My slim doesn't have that problem.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
vilmer_ said:
I have a launch 20GB, am I safe!
So do I and I have 3.61 installed and played LAN for over 4 hours last night. I could hear the fan run, but nothing out of the ordinary and it didn't get super hot.

I've been playing a lot of Red Dead lately and I haven't run into any overheating or freezing issues (80GB model). Going to play some more right now so i'll pay more attention to it.

theRizzle

Good thing I just sold my 60gb. I really don't know why I held onto it for so long. The slim is much nicer, and I never played PS2 games on it anyways.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I have an 80 gig, I hope it holds out. GS's $100 off deal is getting very tempting.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dammit Sony.

I have a Slim but I swear something is wrong with it because the fucker gets toasty fast. I could cook eggs on it.

Loudninja said:

While the FW can't have caused this, I can believe that machines are overheating. I expect it's reading the disc a lot more than most titles, which is causing older machines to overheat/crash.

Dead Space 2 on PS3 was the same for me, constantly reading the disc, which made playing at night a bit of a pain.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Loudninja said:
Also this makes no sense.
How would it make no sense? Fan and temp control tolerances could be part of firmware, and if it was for any reason accidentally affected in an update, something like this could happen. There are other things that could also be affected involving the BD drive that might have an impact on internal temperatures.

And this isn't being reported by some random internet forum poster, it's an actual developer. I'd like to hear more about their testing methodology myself on how they reached their conclusion, but I wouldn't immediately discount it like if a random GameFAQs poster was claiming it.

JABEE

I'm not turning on the system again until the new firmware comes out. I'm not risking my BC 60GB PS3 for this.

Hope it's not true...I've probably spent more time playing PS2 games on my 60GB than PS3 ones, having to get a Slim and losing the backwards compatibility would be a huge downgrade.

So when they say "older 60GB/80GB units" are they meaning older 80GB units with BC or all 80GB units?

I was playing Portal 2 for like 3 hours the other night, after PSN was back up, and never had any issues nor loudness.

sajj316

Could be true .. Rockstar obviously didn't test on 3.61 before release. Just scratching my head on why Rockstar would state without question that it's due to 3.61. No coordinating with Sony?

demolitio

R2D4 said:
My slim doesn't have that problem.
Ok. Maybe I'll take a break from L.A. Noire until I hear differently. I can play SOCOM 4 just fine with my system being quiet as always so there is something weird going on if you don't have the same problem in L.A. Noire.

Just out of curiosity and not related, but does that game have your disc spinning nonstop quite loudly? It's pretty damn loud and most games I don't hear.

Bebpo

Banned
Wtf, at this rate I'm never getting through my ps3 backlog (20 giger here).

Although this could just be an easy excuse if rockstar released a buggy game that crashes some systems.

Gravijah

chaostrophy said:
Hope it's not true...I've probably spent more time playing PS2 games on my 60GB than PS3 ones, having to get a Slim and losing the backwards compatibility would be a huge downgrade.

Yeah. :/ Still have a bunch of PS2 RPGs I need to play on my 80GB.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm on MGS4 80GB PS3 and have been doing long LA Noire sessions with no problems.

By long sessions I mean like 3+ hours

Top Bottom