• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Noire causing older PS3s (fw 3.61), XB360s, to overheat/freeze; patch coming

Tek said:
Made it 5 minutes and it locked up again. So annoying. I guess tomorrow I exchange the disc at gamestop. I know its not the console because it plays everything else fine.

This sounds like the GTA4 problem all over again where a specific manufactured line of first gen PS3s had a hardware flaw.

Hex

Banned
R* seems to have a trend of issues similar to this, yet the first thing they do is blame the PS3 and a firmware then back peddle.
Fantastic work.
SO far everything seems mellow for those I know playing it, but is there a certain point people have hit in the game when issues start or has it been completely random?

GavinGT

Banned
I've tested this on my three Jtag 360s (2 Xenons, 1 Jasper). Using a Jtag allows me to go to my custom dashboard at any time and check CPU, GPU, RAM, and motherboard temperatures measured by the system's internal themocouples. From these readings, I can tell you that the running temperatures of my 360s playing LA Noire are comparable to what I'd get playing any other game. On my Xenons, the CPU gets the hottest (78 Celsius*), while on my Jasper the GPU gets hottest (~69 Celsius*).

*this was after I turned my fans down to normal speed.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think you can assign blame to either company exclusively. If there is an endemic programming issue with fan control on either the client end or the game, it should never have got to retail, Rockstar shouldn't have submitted the master and Sony shouldn't have let it go gold. If there is a real problem, they are both equally to blame.

kEwUd.png

Tek

beelzebozo said:
TEAM BONDI'S l.a. noire is causing ps3s to overheat!

credit where credit is due!

lol

I went ahead and headed up to gamestop to trade this in. He said they haven't really had any returns on this. For me, the game worked fine running off of the HDD. I made it all the way to the hit and run traffic case then that is when the lock ups started. I did prob 5 of the random dispatch calls as well.

Now the game will last maybe 5-20 minutes before it does a hard system lock. Unable to access the guide or anything, I just have to power the 360 off.

I did notice on the last run - I was playing off of the disc and the textures were having a extremely hard time trying to load. I would drive down roads for quite sometime before the textures and buildings would pop in.

Game is installing now to the HDD - 47% complete. I try it again and see. If that doesn't work then I see about heading over my friend's house sometime this weekend to try it on his xbox.

Tek

No luck, even tried deleting my saved game.

Now Rockstar is basically saying its not the game, its your console

Rockstar Support
Rockstar Support

@TJMann We can assure you that L.A. Noire does not cause console problems. If your disc works in another console or multiple discs are not working on your 360 after clearing the cache and playing on new save files, we recommend contacting Microsoft so that they can diagnose the hardware problem. We have tested on all models of retail 360s and have not experienced crashing or freezing.

@pseudofrequency We are sorry but two of your comments were classified as abusive or off-topic and subject to removal. As lenient as we try to be about open conversation, some off-topic comments will be deleted so that we stay focused on resolving the issue discussed in the article.

@Smidge88 If you are having issue with "hardware malfunctions," you would need to contact the hardware manufacturer. We are not disputing the fact that your console is having problems and we are sorry to hear this; however, R* software does not cause console failure and only Sony would be able to officially diagnose the cause and provide a recommended solution.

Mandoric

Banned
I think it's pretty obvious that L.A. Noire gives consoles a heavy workout, L.A. Noire players are likely to have bailed on the PS3 until it, and older PS3s have a habit of croaking when suddenly shifted from "90 minutes when a bluray is rented" to "ten hours a day". It's part PS3's iffy build quality (10% or so defective, far worse than most consoles no matter how bad the OG 360 is), part the leadless solder the EU dictated on everyone, part the game's reaching new levels of CPU/GPU usage, and part just "my PS3 died sometime since Heavy Rain, and L.A. Noire is the first thing I've turned it on for".

If 3.61 implemented the new browser core or something, that's a decent culprit too, tbh.

AEREC

I wasnt having any problems on my PS3 from 2007 (or whenever MGS4 came out) until tonight. My PS3 fans have been a little loud lately but tonight they went into overdrive while playing LA Noire...they were almost as loud as a vacuum.

I shut the system down and took an air can to it and played LA Noire for another hour and they did not get that loud again, but I have a feeling now that it's only a short time until my PS3 dies.

M_A_C

AEREC said:
I wasnt having any problems on my PS3 from 2007 (or whenever MGS4 came out) until tonight. My PS3 fans have been a little loud lately but tonight they went into overdrive while playing LA Noire...they were almost as loud as a vacuum.

I shut the system down and took an air can to it and played LA Noire for another hour and they did not get that loud again, but I have a feeling now that it's only a short time until my PS3 dies.

Why do you think it just getting loud is a problem? Unless it freezes or gives graphical errors I would worry so much.

AEREC

M_A_C said:
Why do you think it just getting loud is a problem? Unless it freezes or gives graphical errors I would worry so much.

It's normally loud but while playing LA noire the fans go so loud that they started to drown out the sound from the game...I wasnt exaggerating when I said my PS3 sounded liek a vaccuum.

For the past few months it's been doing this random thing where beeps three times and shuts down too.

Anyways I figured it was time to trade up for a slim so I traded it in to gamestop and put it towards a new Slim 320GB.

Tek

Well nothing will work now.

All my games are locking up now. I swear I didn't have any issues before and now everything from RDR to Kinect Adventures...

I was playing Mortal Kombat like crazy prior to this coming out and now it locks up too.

Perhaps La Noire taxed my system to death...idk. Hopefully I can pick up a 250GB 360 Slim tomorrow.

It will be my luck MS will announce a price drop at E3...

Slurmer

Banned
Can't get more than a minute into the 3rd case on my launch PS3. I guess I'll look for my receipt instead of waiting for a patch.

Tek

a patch was released today, seems like people are still reporting the same issues.

I just downloaded the patch and 5 seconds later...freeze.

I ended up getting a new xbox slim today, but wanted to see if the patch worked on my old one.

All of my games are locking up which never happened before La Noire. My gamestop said a bunch of people are returning the game for both PS3 and Xbox.

Today a new automatic title update (version 1.00) for L.A. Noire will be deployed on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. You will be prompted to download the title update as soon as you sign into PlayStation Network or Xbox LIVE.

Noteworthy changes and fixes include:
Fixes for several in-game store issues including age-verification for DLC purchases
Fixes for minor gameplay bugs and graphical issues
Fixes for several minor plot/objective/conversation issues
Improvements in stat-tracking and Social Club integration
As always, if you are experiencing any issues or have questions related to this title update, we implore you to contact us by clicking "Submit a Request" at the top of this page.

jett

D-Member
Played LAN on a 40GB PS3 for more 2.5 hours straight, no overheating, no loud fans, no issues. Then again this very PS3 died once already without warning... :p

StuBurns

Banned
Just thought I'd mention I have a 60GB UK unit (same as the US 80 I think?) with the latest FW and have had no loud fans or freezes so far. I'm sorry for those who have.

spats

Been playing for 8-9 hours in pretty long stretches on a 80gb model bought in 2008 that's been in heavy use. I've had only one freeze so far.

Top Bottom