• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Noire causing older PS3s (fw 3.61), XB360s, to overheat/freeze; patch coming

JRW

Ive been playing games and streaming media with my original fat 60gb PS3 w/ 3.61 for a few days without any issues but I dont own LA Noire (yet).

I play L.A Noire for over 10 hours sometimes. Slim gets hot as any other game i play. But it's much cooler than the tank 60gig i have in my closet now.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm picking it up tomorrow, maybe I'll hold out for a few days hoping for a patch.

As an aside, because I don't want to stumble on any spoilers in the OT, how is the performance on the PS3 version?

EvaTType01

Neo Member
bad timing, i dont think its La noire causing the ps3 to die, it think its more of a pure coincidence really. the ps3 dying topic has had more posts of thieir ps3 dying, mines included.....mines just died when playing mortal kombat, the irony. certain games taxes the ps3 more, thus killing off the material holding the cpu and gpu together. i expect 80 and 60 gb models to die right about now if they use their ps3 a lot!

got about 15 hours in with my launch fat 60gb ps3. no problems. I even fell asleep last night with the game on and it stayed running overnight.

soloscout

Neo Member
fuzzyreactor said:
got about 15 hours in with my launch fat 60gb ps3. no problems. I even fell asleep last night with the game on and it stayed running overnight.
I have to ask: were you on PSN?

soloscout said:
I have to ask: were you on PSN?
not sure if i was online last night when i passed. i was online a lil yesterday while playing but for the majority of the time ive been playing the game, ive been offline.

lucius

So if I play this game signed out of PSN it won't track my stats in Rockstar Social club?

Or will it save my stats and apply them next time I sign into the Rockstar Social Club?

Pyccko

Screw it, I couldn't wait for a patch. Just played another approx. 3 hours. Still no problems on my 60gig.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
JustAnotherOtaku said:
Just played 2 hours on an 11 month old Slim, offline, with no issues whatsoever. Hoping it stays that way.

It should. On the PS3 side, the problems are only being reported on the older PS3phat models, I believe.

Pezking

Got the game today, already played 2,5 hours.

I have 60GB PS3 with BC. 4 years old, still FW 3.60. Online connection deactivated.

The fan goes into third gear pretty quick, but it's quite hot here today, and my PS3 did that with every game in the summer ever since.

The system itself stays pretty cool.

I'd say "L.A. Noire" runs just like any other game on my PS3.

JABEE

Waiting for the patch is annoying. I was really getting into LA Noire and now I have to worry about my system overheating if I play any PS3 game on my 60GB.

denomes

JABEE said:
Waiting for the patch is annoying. I was really getting into LA Noire and now I have to worry about my system overheating if I play any PS3 game on my 60GB.

Have they even stated that a patch is coming out to address this and how could a patch even address an over-heating issue? By controlling fan speeds?

JABEE said:

The same thing happens very time a high profile mass appeal came comes out for everything. People dust off their systems and get to it, and systems that were near death die. Don't worry about it.

Torgo

I've got 8 hours into the game on an original 60GB PS3 and I've had 0 issues. No lockups, no loud fan, no graphical or audio problems, nothing.

Torgo said:
I've got 8 hours into the game on an original 60GB PS3 and I've had 0 issues. No lockups, no loud fan, no graphical or audio problems, nothing.
Well it's not supposed to just seize the system right away. I used my phat to play for a few hours but it sounds like it's causing the fans to NOT be used properly, thus making the system run more hot.

Hyphen

BobTheFork said:
Well it's not supposed to just seize the system right away. I used my phat to play for a few hours but it sounds like it's causing the fans to NOT be used properly, thus making the system run more hot.

So you think the game is causing your fans not to spin at the required speed to cool your PS3?

- J - D -

BobTheFork said:

He's played for 8 hours, that's not long enough for the game to "seize the system"?

theBishop said:
That's an odd coincidence. When GTA4 first came out, my 60GB would lock up within 15 minutes of playing (often during the opening montage). I never found out what the actual problem was, but Sony replaced the system for free out of warranty. So it must've been something busted on their end.

I realize LA Noire is not Rage Engine, and not even really Rockstar, but I still think it's weird.

came here to post this

When they say old PS3s, does that include the 80GB non-BC PS3 that came out after the MGS4 80GB with emulated BC? Cause I have the former.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
StuBurns said:
I'm picking it up tomorrow, maybe I'll hold out for a few days hoping for a patch.

As an aside, because I don't want to stumble on any spoilers in the OT, how is the performance on the PS3 version?

Performance: Performance was a very close bout but the PlayStation 3 version had a very slight edge. The Xbox 360 version had very little screen tearing where as the PS3 version had none, but it mostly happened in the upper top part of the screen and will most likely go unnoticed while the game is in action. The average FPS of both games were pretty solid, both staying close to the targeted 30 FPS. The PlayStation 3 did have a small advantage, but it was so small (less than a whole frame) that it won’t really matter.This category ended in a draw.

http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-l-a-noire-analysis/

Tek

darkwing said:
just wait for the patch

Waiting for the patch sucks, I wonder if EA ever released a patch for Sims 3. After a month later, I gave up and sold the game.

by the time they release a patch I prob could have saved 20-30 bucks on the game's price.

whine whine boo hoo...meh.

:(

Soda said:
Hey guys, sorry to slightly derail the thread topic, but I just ordered Red Dead Redemption for ps3. If anyone has this game and has had current issues with LA Noire, would you please run RDR to see if it runs smoothly? I ask only because it is a R* game and it sounds like they have gotten a lot of heat for their game architecture. I also bought asscreedbro.

note: 80gb MGS bundle

Rdr ran fine on my mgs 80g

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Official SCEA/Rockstar statement:

Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director said:
Rockstar Games and Sony Joint Statement on L.A. Noire

We have received a very small number of customer support questions about PS3s overheating or shutting down while playing L.A. Noire. At this time, Rockstar Games and Sony can confirm that neither L.A. Noire or firmware update 3.61 are causing the PS3 hardware to overheat. We are both committed to working hard to find solutions to this and any issues that may arise. If you are experiencing any issues with L.A. Noire or your PS3 hardware, please contact technical support using any of the means provided below:

Rockstar Support: www.rockstargames.com/support
Rockstar Support on Twitter: twitter.com/RockstarSupport

PlayStation 3 Support: http://us.playstation.com/support/

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
androvsky said:
I think their statement boils down to "old systems break sometimes".
I edited my post because i misunderstood the blog post.

JABEE

So there joint statement is go play the game with your old PS3 that isn't under warranty, test our product for us.

Edit: I guess that means it's okay to play?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
JABEE said:
So there joint statement is go play the game with your old PS3 that isn't under warranty, test our product for us.

Edit: I guess that means it's okay to play?

Pretty sure it means they have absolutely no idea.

Oppo

Yeah. This is our pattern recognition for the most part. And I say that a s a recent "victim" — my launch PS3 died about 2 days before the network came back. It's not because of any reason other than the hundreds of hours I have logged on the thing, between games and movie watching. Sure it died in a predictable way, but so do Volkswagens.

qwerty2k

Launch 60gig (uk) PS3 for me, played 3 hours straight today, my ps3 is on its side and has little to no ventilation room around it and it seems just like any other game so far tbh.

jayb

this is slightly OT, but do you guys think it makes a deference whether the PS3 is horizontal vs vertical. I thought I read once that heat gets dissipated better in the horizontal position, but was that proven true?

Mooreberg

Embarrassing gaffe to blame it on the firmware without any investigation or verification. Hopefully they straighten this out soon.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
SteelAttack said:
Kickass work, guys!

But...why would R* keep working on finding a solution if they've confirmed L.A. Noire is not the culprit here?

Maybe they think its hackers. :p

Tek

Made it 5 minutes and it locked up again. So annoying. I guess tomorrow I exchange the disc at gamestop. I know its not the console because it plays everything else fine.

Top Bottom