• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Noire Main Story Takes ’25-30 Hours’ to Complete

Dead

well not really...yet
SFGamer said:
From someone who just beat gt4 it took me 25 hours, and I was just doing the story missions. RDR took about the same maybe a little less. 25 hours seems about right for a Rockstar game.
I think 25 hours is about right for RDR. Combined with all the side stuff, I probably put around ~50 hours into that game

squicken said:
Yeah that Red Dead Redemption was such a scam

It was pretty terrible, yes. I was burned by both those games too yet I'm excited for LA Noire, probably because for once Rockstar is being straight with us and telling us exactly what we're going to get with this game (investigations, not a lot of combat).

We all expected GTA 4 to be like the old ones which were tons of unrealistic, crazy fun and we got a boring relatively empty "realistic" game. I expected similar things from RDR after those hype videos, and I got an even more boring and somehow even emptier game than GTA4.

Only way this game will burn me is if the investigations were made for morons and everything is spelled out for you.

Ickman3400 said:
It was pretty terrible, yes. I was burned by both those games too yet I'm excited for LA Noire, probably because for once Rockstar is being straight with us and telling us exactly what we're going to get with this game (investigations, not a lot of combat).

We all expected GTA 4 to be like the old ones which were tons of unrealistic, crazy fun and we got a boring relatively empty "realistic" game. I expected similar things from RDR after those hype videos, and I got an even more boring and somehow even emptier game than GTA4.

Only way this game will burn me is if the investigations were made for morons and everything is spelled out for you.

It sounds like you get "burned" because you hype yourself up too much.

Misterinenja said:
I am very hyped for this game. Since it's not developed by Rockstar I hope it doesn't have that GTAIV/RDR control lag, dudes locked in animations or general clunkyness.

I mean even Bioware can make 3rd person shooting right so why is Rockstar always given a free pass?

Hell no, the ME2 demo is the clunckiest thing I've played this gen, seriously...

Jigsaw

Banned
Dabanton said:
Huh?

In what world were GTA:IV and RDR 10hrs?

I don't know how you play games but that's a stretch for sure.

gta4's story took me 12 hours on the first playthrough,the driving became boring quickly so i used cabs most of the time for fast travel,the pigeon hunt took longer than the main game,i was at 100% under 30 hours

rdr 15 hours but with most of the stranger missions and hunting challenges already completed,plant gathering took another 10 hours,got 100% at 25 hours

Jigsaw said:
gta4's story took me 12 hours on the first playthrough,the driving became boring quickly so i used cabs most of the time for fast travel,the pigeon hunt took longer than the main game,i was at 100% under 30 hours

rdr 15 hours but with most of the stranger missions and hunting challenges already completed,plant gathering took another 10 hours,got 100% at 25 hours

o_____O

You people must be magicians. GTAIV, and RDR both probably took me ~35 hours for the main story alone with RDR being 100% after about 45. Then again, I don't fast travel, ever, and am not the type of person who does mission -> mission -> mission -> mission. Got to take in that world son.

SafeinSound said:
It sounds like you get "burned" because you hype yourself up too much.

No the blame rests solely with Rockstar on those two. Before gta 4 came out they never hinted that it would be completely stripped of all the fun things from the old gtas and it would basically be an annoying friend cell phone simulator. I as well as almost everyone expected gta 3/vc/sa with those fancy new graphics and euphoria engine. Same thing with red dead, they marketed it as gta wild west which I'll take an extremely small amount of blame for since after 4 I should have expected that would mean bad news but I guess I was hoping that 4 was an anomaly instead of the new norm.

The Lamp

Well that's good. I'll take off about 5 hours since PR usually lies.

Since there's no multiplayer and there's no reason to really ever play the game a second time (since you'll know the answer to all the cases) I'm glad it's longer than 10 hours.

Dabanton

Jigsaw said:

Still find that hard to believe. Even if you took taxis everywhere and completed every misson on first play which is another issue, 12 hours is a stretch.

EDIT: GTA:IV has about 87 missons i'm doubting it even more.

Darklord

Banned
I hope they focus on the characters more. I hate in GTA and Red Dead how you start with these characters then they just vanish after a while. I know it's not made by rockstar but it looks like a very rockstar-ish game. I'd like to have characters from start to end, that I really like and want to keep around like a buddy cop or something.

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
Hell no, the ME2 demo is the clunckiest thing I've played this gen, seriously...

It plays just fine.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jigsaw said:
so probably more like 10 hours like gta4 and rdr

I decided to login to Rockstar Games Social Club and check your numbers as they relate to GTAIV. They happen to have a time leaderboard for game completion time. There are about 2.6 million completion times listed online for the 360 and 2.2 million completion times listed online for the PS3 . Of those, 133,829 on 360 and 64,457 on PS3 were able to complete the game in 10 hours or less (in other words, 3.9% of players were able to complete the game in 10 hours or less).

This includes repeat finishers, and we can hazard a guess that repeat players took less time. Therefor, we can safely assume that fewer than 3.5% of people report your time. The median time to completion (again, including repeat players) was 35.04 hours so we can safely assume that the median time to completion for first plays was higher.

Jigsaw said:

100% under 30 hours, huh?

"That puts you in", I kid you not, the top 0.2% of people who completed the game, which would put you in the top 0.005% of people who played the game or higher. You're one of the best video game players alive today! Amazing!

JohngPR

I find it hard to believe that it took you 10 hours to beat GTA IV. :-/

I'm usually the type of person that takes his time playing games because I like to get absorbed into the world. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes me 25-30 hours to beat LA Noire.

Stumpokapow said:
I decided to login to Rockstar Games Social Club and check your numbers as they relate to GTAIV. They happen to have a time leaderboard for game completion time. There are about 2.6 million completion times listed online for the 360 and 2.2 million completion times listed online for the PS3 . Of those, 133,829 on 360 and 64,457 on PS3 were able to complete the game in 10 hours or less (in other words, 3.9% of players were able to complete the game in 10 hours or less).

This includes repeat finishers, and we can hazard a guess that repeat players took less time. Therefor, we can safely assume that fewer than 3.5% of people report your time. The median time to completion (again, including repeat players) was 35.04 hours so we can safely assume that the median time to completion for first plays was higher.

So basically you're full of shit.

Yikes.

Sethos

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

"That puts you in", I kid you not, the top 0.2% of people who completed the game, which would put you in the top 0.005% of people who played the game or higher. You're one of the best video game players alive today! Amazing!

Oh snap!

Jigsaw

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
So basically you're full of shit.

fuck you,just because you are a mod doesn't give you the right to insult people if they have another opinion

you said yourself there were 3.5% who beat it in under 10 hours,maybe i'm just more elite than you :O

yeah go on and ban me,this was worth it,full of shit mod

StuBurns

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

Dude, that was only his first play thru, he can knock that shit out over lunch at this point.

Sethos

Banned
Jigsaw said:
fuck you,just because you are a mod doesn't give you the right to insult people if they have another opinion

you said yourself there were 3.5% who beat it in under 10 hours,maybe i'm just more elite than you :O

Step back, he's gonna blow.

Dabanton

Jigsaw said:

Stumpokapow seems to have hit a nerve.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jigsaw said:

Right, well, I bow to you, you're totally elite! I believe you! You're #1 in the world!

Meanwhile, for the rest of us who have only mortal skills (I, for example, am around #980,000 on the finishing time leaderboards), GTAIV is not a 10 hour game.

DaBuddaDa

My GTA4 game was 21 hours, and my RDR game was 18 hours, so this will probably fall right into the same length.

edit: *ducks and covers*

Solo

I hate these kind of claims. They are so pointless. Someone will whip through the game in 10 hours while some of WTF-can-they-actually-do-in-the-game-for-so-fucking-long GAF will dump 70 hours into it.

Additionally, the game will support DLC cases, some of which have already been announced as pre-order exclusives to retailers — all of which will eventually be made available to everyone via the PlayStation Store.
Thank you, I nearly had an aneurysm when they announced those. Though the "eventually" bit still has me a bit pissed off.

Solo said:
I hate these kind of claims. They are so pointless. Someone will whip through the game in 10 hours while some of WTF-can-they-actually-do-in-the-game-for-so-fucking-long GAF will dump 70 hours into it.

Yup. Just check the dragon age 2 thread where someone said they finished Act 1 of the game in 32 hours....32!! The average time for that section is anywhere from 10-15, it took me about 14 and I did every side quest in the chapter. It makes me wonder if some people just don't exit games when they're done like normal people and just leave it running until they're ready to go back.

Solo

Ickman3400 said:
Yup. Just check the dragon age 2 thread where someone said they finished Act 1 of the game in 32 hours....32!! The average time for that section is anywhere from 10-15, it took me about 14 and I did every side quest in the chapter. It makes me wonder if some people just don't exit games when they're done like normal people and just leave it running until they're ready to go back.

There are Gaffers who have put 80 hours into Mass Effect. Ive beat the game many times and done everything I could possibly do in the world, and I still can't cross 20 hours with it. And thats not rushing, either.

I honestly would love to see how exactly slow-ass GAF plays these games.

StuBurns

Banned
Since the OP doesn't name a source, is this from an official Sony source? Otherwise why doesn't it say the content is coming to XBL?

Solo said:
There are Gaffers who have put 80 hours into Mass Effect. Ive beat the game many times and done everything I could possibly do in the world, and I still can't cross 20 hours with it. And thats not rushing, either.

I honestly would love to see how exactly slow-ass GAF plays these games.
You should see the threads about the time it takes to shit, mind blowing.

As for completion times though, spending more time isn't strange, only spending less time because there is a hard limit on how fast a game can be completed. If someone says they beat MGS4 first time in four hours, while it's technically possible, it would be a bizarre thing to do because it'd mean skipping all the cutscenes and codecs while still pushing pretty hard.

Again with the completion time. Please people. It's a Rockstar published game. Polished as fuck and oozing with atmosphere as usual. Just pay your 60 bucks and enjoy it. Thank God they didn't add a sent-to-die multiplayer to artificially lengthen gametime.

Yeef

Ickman3400 said:
What?

Red Dead had a whole series of videos detailing the gameplay before release, just as they're doing with L.A. Noire.

I think i spent hours standing still in RDR :p (just watching a sunrise for insance). I have no idea why you would rush through games but to each his own
I remeber people finishing Twilight Princess in 20 hours or so. It baffles me. What do people like this want to prove?

Yeah was about to post that i completed GTA4 mainline story in about 12 hours but i restricted myself because i knew that somebody in here will eat me alive but hey now seeing the above statement i can clearly say it i beat the MAINSTORY of GTA4 in about 12 hours and never again touch it to complete the game 100%.

DaBuddaDa

StevePharma said:
It's a Rockstar published game. Polished as fuck and oozing with atmosphere as usual.
I'll give you atmosphere, but polished as fuck? I personally find Rockstar games to be consistently some of the buggiest and jankiest games out there, given they're mostly open world.

Yeef said:
What?

Red Dead had a whole series of videos detailing the gameplay before release, just as they're doing with L.A. Noire.

Yeah those were the hype videos I was referring to. They made it seem like RDR was filled with content and interesting things to do, when it was even emptier than GTA 4 and took at least half the time to 100% the game. Those random encounters were crap too, I remember from the stat page where it tells you how many you found compared to how many unique ones and the number was something like 20/210 unique to total.

Don´t know why people keep saying that this game is a 100% ROCKSTAR where you can clearly see all the inspiration of TEAM SOHO and THE GATEWAY all over the game. And just to be clear in my personal view THE GATEWAY was more polished than GTA3

jvalioli

Sounds good. Behind closed doors? No footage from PAX? :(

Jigsaw said:

lol.

StuBurns

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
I'll give you atmosphere, but polished as fuck? I personally find Rockstar games to be consistently some of the buggiest and jankiest games out there, given they're mostly open world.
Compared to other open world games? From my experience they're massively the most 'polished'.

DaBuddaDa said:

Fair enough. At least it doesn't feel the bugs are there because of a rush-job or lack of interest in polishing them.

StuBurns said:
Compared to other open world games? From my experience they're massively the most 'polished'.

What he said.

Considering the amount of time and money they've spent on the project over the years I'd hope it is 25hrs long. It's nice to get confirmation though, and at the rate I get through games these days (or don't) this should last me for many weeks if not months.

Go_Ly_Dow

Sounds good.

Will the game take different routes and have different endings ala Heavy Rain depending on your choices/actions?

iNvid02

StuBurns said:

i had less than 5 buggy instances with rdr, and i was on the ps3 version. GTA IV was pretty smooth as well on PC, for the shear size/quality of the games the occasional bug dont mean shit

DaBuddaDa

StuBurns said:
A buggy game is a buggy game, open world or not, IMO. That's like saying "This game looks good.....FOR A WII GAME."

I love open work jank. The RDR horse bugs (or the Two Worlds horse bugs for that matter) are hilarious. But I'd never in a million years tell someone that a Rockstar game is particularly "polished," or expect a truly polished experience.

DarkKyo

I've been pretty pumped about it since the first gameplay video a few months back, but seeing the case being played at PAX behind closed doors.... my god, I was absolutely blown away. Day one for sure.

Top Bottom