• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Noire Retailer Exclusive Bonus Content Revealed

Yeah, those conflicting offers kinda suck.

But won't you at least be able to get some of the stuff later through DLC if you really want it?

(Or are they really exclusives?)

It comes down to voting with your wallet.

If you don't care, pick your favorite pre-order deal and go nuts.

If you still want the game, just buy it from a retailer who wasn't offered isn't participating in the pre-order shit.

If you're really pissed at Rockstar for this deal, period, then just don't buy the thing.

disappeared said:
It comes down to voting with your wallet.

If you don't care, pick your favorite pre-order deal and go nuts.

If you still want the game, just buy it from a retailer who wasn't offered isn't participating in the pre-order shit.

If you're really pissed at Rockstar for this deal, period, then just don't buy the thing.
Of course, but we as gamers should call out this trend for it's Oblivion horse armor levels of stupidity all the same. Just to be sure.

NullPointer said:
Of course, but we as gamers should call out this trend for it's Oblivion horse armor levels of stupidity all the same. Just to be sure.

Some of us have been against this shit from the word go, but it ain't leaving anytime soon. Not when there's profit in it.

disappeared said:
Some of us have been against this shit from the word go, but it ain't leaving anytime soon. Not when there's profit in it.
I long for the good old days when retailers competed on price. Good times.

Walmart and Gamestop got the best deals and the others got shafted. I don't want some ugly plaid suit that looks no different from the other ugly plaid suits he wears, when I can have an extended game in it's place.

I thought the pre-order bonus was gonna be a real hat the main character wears. That would have been nice.

Brashnir

so I can choose to pre-order an incomplete version of the game from one of 4 retailers, or i can buy after release (or from a different retailer) and get an even more incomplete version for full price?

Fuck you, Rockstar, Take-Two and all these retailers. Will wait til it hits 20 bucks.

UberTag

I can tolerate retailer-exclusive gameplay content so long as there aren't achievements tied to the completion of said content.

'Cause then I'll have to buy two versions of the same game to get everything. And that would be unthinkable!

Pokemon-BlackWhite.png

Oh wait... I already do that.

Fuck you Rockstar. Seriously, fuck you. You have some brilliant software engineers and I am continually impressed by the things you achieve, but this is too far. Retail exclusive single player missions? FUCK YOU. This is now being Gamefly'd, and I hope all your brilliant developers quit and move on and the suits die in a fucking fire.

Yeah I'm pissed, this is bullshit. It breaks my heart that this is the current state of the video game industry. If I hadn't already invested such a huge portion of my life to gaming I would quit.

So fuck you Rockstar, you made me want to quit gaming.

Stop bitching guys! These practices are here to stay. If you want all the pre-order incentives in one box just buy the Collectors Edition.

Just like they did with Red Dead Redemption.

StevePharma said:
Stop bitching guys! These practices are here to stay. If you want all the pre-order incentives in one box just buy the Collectors Edition.

I won't be part of the problem. I will be part of the solution.

Futile as it may be, I won't be bent over. If more people grew a pair (in this regard) the world would be a better place.

GreatSage

Banned
I found it hilarious that the Asian edition of RDR gave away the Gamespot exclusives for free (ie the War Horse, Golden Guns, Deadly Assassin Outfit) plus a DLC code for the soundtrack.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
StevePharma said:

......... Ugh

Baller said:
I won't be part of the problem. I will be part of the solution.

Futile as it may be, I won't be bent over. If more people grew a pair (in this regard) the world would be a better place.

I understand, but the Red Dead Collectors Edition was THE SAME PRICE as the normal edition.

dallow_bg said:
......... Ugh

Why? because I paid the same price and got all the content because I was an early adopter. Yeah I'm hurting the industry here....

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Libyan citizens can overthrow tyrannical regimes overnight, but we? *Shakeshead*
Who wants to knock down magazineracks?! Who's with me? Viva la revolution

I honestly find this sort of thing so goddamn offensive, it's almost the worst thing about this generation, right behind timed exclusive DLC content.

I am perfectly willing to pay a premium for a collector's edition that includes all the pre-order DLC, but if you don't offer a collector's edition and try to use your pre-order DLC bullshit to tempt me to support a retailer that may not be my preferred retailer, well then I'll wait a few months, buy your game second hand and use the savings to purchase the pre-order content when it inevitably hits the store as DLC.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
StevePharma said:
I understand, but the Red Dead Collectors Edition was THE SAME PRICE as the normal edition.

Why? because I paid the same price and got all the content because I was an early adopter. Yeah I'm hurting the industry here....
That edition wasn't available in the US.

Luckily, it was all almost useless shit for RDR and not entire scenarios.

YagizY

DLC will probably be shit like most of this stuff usually is.

I don't really care about this kind of stuff. Hopefully the DLC code will come separately with the game so I can sell the code on ebay for $. Some idiot bought the Red Dead Redemption War Horse DLC code from me for $45 last time something like this happened. Yes, you read that right, $45 for a DLC code.

baylon452

Neo Member
Fantastical said:
This shit needs to stop. Will order from Amazon regardless.

If you think it needs to stop, don't buy from Amazon regardless. Yes it still might be the most convenient to you, but the only way to stop this shit is to not buy it from these places.

Not specifically saying this to you Fantastical; but to everyone who says this is shit, but then goes and supports it anyway. They don't care if you think its shit but pre-order anyway, to them your just another number who's supporting this.

If everyone who thought this was wrong, actually went and bought the game from somewhere else, maybe this shit would stop.

Otacon

Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!

Platform exclusive DLC really is the worst trend this gen. Far worse than motion controls or 3D.
When I was scrolling down the OP I started at "ah damn, an exclusive case and collectible stuff similar to the packages or pigeons of GTA?! - game.co.uk it is then" went to "ah, amazon only gets a stupid outfit, can live with that" and then "what, there's more? oh no, another full case for play.com?! Fuck you, Rockstar!"

I would not even have a problem to pay for all this DLC - for a reasonable price - 10 EUR for all 4 DLCs would be fine by me...if you would actually have the chance to do so. But no, if you want the full game you'd have to buy 4 copies of it (or pay for the overpriced codes on ebay)

Same goes for the upcoming HERO edition of inFAMOUS 2. The only reason for me to buy it is because of the extra super powers which imo should be in the game from the getgo.

Does anyone know who actually decides this shit?
Is it the publisher? - who, if not completely retarded must know that the (hardcore) gamers are pissed about only getting 95% of the game they just bought.
Or are the retailers paying that much to get these exclusives?

For the first time we should all be happy that Nintendo is so much behind the trend, just imagine the Gamestop version of Galaxy "with 5 exclusive planets" and Zelda "Fire Dungeon and Crossbow power only at Walmart!".

Seriously, I fear that pretty much every big title this year (Gears, Uncharted, Skyrim, Batman, ME3, etc) will get this treatment.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
StevePharma said:

Not every SE/CE/LE contains the retailer-exclusive content.

JaseC

Otacon said:
Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!

Platform exclusive DLC really is the worst trend this gen. Far worse than motion controls or 3D.
When I was scrolling down the OP I started at "ah damn, an exclusive case and collectible stuff similar to the packages or pigeons of GTA?! - game.co.uk it is then" went to "ah, amazon only gets a stupid outfit, can live with that" and then "what, there's more? oh no, another full case for play.com?! Fuck you, Rockstar!"

I would not even have a problem to pay for all this DLC - for a reasonable price - 10 EUR for all 4 DLCs would be fine by me...if you would actually have the chance to do so. But no, if you want the full game you'd have to buy 4 copies of it (or pay for the overpriced codes on ebay)

Same goes for the upcoming HERO edition of inFAMOUS 2. The only reason for me to buy it is because of the extra super powers which imo should be in the game from the getgo.

Does anyone know who actually decides this shit?
Is it the publisher? - who, if not completely retarded must know that the (hardcore) gamers are pissed about only getting 95% of the game they just bought.
Or are the retailers paying that much to get these exclusives?

For the first time we should all be happy that Nintendo is so much behind the trend, just imagine the Gamestop version of Galaxy "with 5 exclusive planets" and Zelda "Fire Dungeon and Crossbow power only at Walmart!".

Seriously, I fear that pretty much every big title this year (Gears, Uncharted, Skyrim, Batman, ME3, etc) will get this treatment.

To be fair, it's not as though the Wii has the online infrastructure to support DLC. It's rather presumptuous to believe Nintendo are above such practices when they're unable to participate.

Edit: Bah, thought I was editing my above post.

JaseC

Patrick Bateman said:
Exactly my words.

A probably great game ruined by shitty marketing..

It's hardly "shitty marketing" when even many GAF'ers, with their pitchforks at the ready, ultimately choose the most appealing retailer-exclusive content. The fact of the matter, at least for now, is these practices piss off an inconsequential amount of consumers.

Otacon

JaseC said:
To be fair, it's not as though the Wii has the online infrastructure to support DLC. It's rather presumptuous to believe Nintendo are above such practices when they're unable to participate.

hehe, that's also what I meant with "behind the trend" - the trend not only being the retailer exclusive DLC, but also supporting games by DLC in general as they are technically not able to fuck us over like the other 2 (yet).
If you just look at all Pokémon games every released or also the Super Mario All-stars Collection for Wii it's pretty clear that they are the last who are above such practices. ;)

JaseC

Otacon said:
hehe, that's also what I meant with "behind the trend" - the trend not only being the retailer exclusive DLC, but also supporting games by DLC in general as they are technically not able to fuck us over like the other 2 (yet).
If you just look at all Pokémon games every released or also the Super Mario All-stars Collection for Wii it's pretty clear that they are the last who are above such practices. ;)

True. I eagerly await Nintendo's approach to DLC.

I wish I had pre-ordered this so I could cancel my pre-order and buy the game from a supermarket.

I wont support this kind of crap, even though I know there's only a few of us shouting against a tidal wave of these promotions, I will stand firm.

Bad form Take-Two/Rockstar, bad form.

FGMPR

Banned
Walmart, Gamestop, Best Buy... what is this shit? I'm Australian. We don't have those wanky retailers here. What does that mean for us?

For the most part, this generation of gaming has gone to the dogs, imo.

Long live indie gaming!

Gorgon

FGMPR said:
Walmart, Gamestop, Best Buy... what is this shit? I'm Australian. We don't have those wanky retailers here. What does that mean for us?

Long live indie gaming!

Australian? LOLOL!!! These are AMERICAN companies, boy! They don't care a fuck about anyone else, even when they learned about the existence of other people in (bad) geography classes! You should know your place, fool!

Until the chinese take the world in a couple of decades, that is

JaseC

FGMPR said:

Long live indie gaming!

EB Games and/or Game may offer something.

I love how many people start of by saying:

"I hate these exclusive DLC!"

but then still go ahead and preorder the game. If it really bothers you why not wait three weeks until it is on sale somewhere and buy it then? Why reward publishers for shitty behavior?

Haunted

Exclusive cases is going too far.

Won't buy at release, sorry for fucking over Team Bondi on this, but that's a fuck-up of the marketing department I'm not willing to overlook. I don't give a shit about the suits, although it's important to note that these aren't just cosmetic, but provide gameplay bonuses as well.

Either there's a GOTY edition with all this included some time down the road, or Rockstar will not get my money. What a bummer, I really feel like I'm missing out on an amazing title because of this. My case is a lose-lose-lose situation for Rockstar (no money), retailers (no money) and me (no game).

Haunted said:
Exclusive cases is going too far.

Won't buy at release, sorry for fucking over Team Bondi on this, but that's a fuck-up of the marketing department I'm not willing to overlook. I don't give a shit about the suits, although it's important to note that these aren't just cosmetic, but provide gameplay bonuses as well.

Either there's a GOTY edition with all this included some time down the road, or Rockstar will not get my money. What a bummer, I really feel like I'm missing out on an amazing title because of this. My case is a lose-lose-lose situation for Rockstar (no money), retailers (no money) and me (no game).

The hell?

JaseC

It's going to be fantastic to look back at this thread come May and see that the majority of you had a change of mind.

Flakster99

Hey You said:
Man you guys are really not going to buy this game because of the Pre-Order offers?

Get Real.

What's comforting is the extra cash in my pocket is not only as "real" as it gets, but it will goto other software purchases where I'm not made to feel like a chump.

Top Bottom