• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La Chilindrina meets Stranger Things - Netflix knows whats up

Armadilo

Banned
Video

Some great marketing

giphy.gif

Okay, I did my part. I didn't just ask "who", I looked her and her work up.
Is it a language barrier thing? A cultural thing?
She seems.. Less than amazing?

Okay, I did my part. I didn't just ask "who", I looked her and her work up.
Is it a language barrier thing? A cultural thing?
She seems.. Less than amazing?

Its a cultural thing. She was a cast member of a very popular show played for Latin America, and the juxtaposition between playing that dumb character with clips of stranger things makes it a good laugh.

Why would Netflix do this? Stranger Things doesn’t need this attention and it seems very lame.

Netflix has their internal metrics. Its entirely possible that the show isnt being viewed by Latin American audiences as much as they would want so they probably made this clip so that its shared in Latin circles and in turn promote the show by the exposure that would give.

Santiako

What the fuck? hahahaha

La Chilindrina old and bleeding was kinda sad, but the absurdity of the thing ended up making it funny.

It did, but it looks bad, I probably have to watch more?
Doesn't look much unlike some things we have here, which I'd also call not great tbh.
I mean, I'm sure it's a cultural difference. I don't mean to offend.

It's a "you had to be there" kind of thing. All of Latin America grew up with these shows.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Doesn't look much unlike some things we have here, which I'd also call not great tbh.

It's not funny to me like the Three Stooges isn't funny but their cultural significance can't be denied. She's a major cast member of the most famous latin American sitcom, it's clear to see why Netflix would use her in an ad for Netflix that's on their Spanish channel.
This was really bad.

The Jaime Maussan one was really dope though.

I love how that crazy fuck always showed really shitty videos that some dude could've edited in window movie marker.

Dont bother watching, its purely nostalgia, something a lot of people grew up with, its also a 70s show from Mexico so it hasnt aged that well.

From the Wiki page alone it was huge at its peak. Makes sense to incorporate Latinx nostalgia into a show’s marketing that is geared to approriating vestiges of 80s Americana.

It's a "you had to be there" kind of thing. All of Latin America grew up with these shows.
Dont bother watching, its purely nostalgia, something a lot of people grew up with, its also a 70s show from Mexico so it hasnt aged that well.
I thought so.
Too bad, I'd like to enjoy this as well.

La Chilindrina is to Mexico as apple pie or baseball is to the USA.
Hah, good example, as most countries seem to view Baseball as pretty boring.
But yeah, I think I understand.
We got enough things only (some) Austrians appreciate.

Fliesen

I thought so.
Too bad, I'd like to enjoy this as well.

Hah, good example, as most countries seem to view Baseball as pretty boring.
But yeah, I think I understand.
We got enough things only (some) Austrians appreciate.

They do a lot of regional marketing.

https://www.facebook.com/StrangerThingsDACH/videos/386661488415948/
Eleven watching German 80s TV.

the closest thing to what's in the OP is probably
https://twitter.com/NetflixDE/status/917026808377126912/video/1
Upside-Down Löwenzahn Intro

Netflix' marketing is on point

Still Hispanic, nonetheless.

You misunderstand.
He's saying it's wrong that she's known/amazing to Hispanics in general, as Spanish people are hispanic and do not know her or the series.

Well, I know El Chavo del Ocho, and while I didn't know her by name, I knew who she was when looking at the gif.
But is she amazing to you? 8D
joshing ya, but it seems like a bit too generalized a statement

CRS

Shes freaking not, she is embarrassing.

Speak for yourself.
I don't know about embarrassing but I do think people are confusing the love El Chavo del Ocho and Chespirito got with La Chilindrina's.

I thought the video was fine and harmless. Good on her finding some work still.

AllenShrz

I don't know about embarrassing but I do think people are confusing the love El Chavo del Ocho and Chespirito got with La Chilindrina's.

I thought the video was fine and harmless. Good on her finding some work still.

To me they are all the same, an embarrassing party. Mediocre characters taking part in silly stupid shows. Is a shame people know more about them than their national history.

To me they are all the same, an embarrassing party. Mediocre characters taking part in silly stupid shows. Is a shame people know more about them than their national history.

Its a sitcom, of course its suposed to be silly and stupid, why should anybody be embarrased by it. Its like if Americans felt embarrased by Friends, would make no sense, its just a TV show.

AllenShrz

Its a sitcom, of course its suposed to be silly and stupid, why should anybody be embarrased by it. Its like if Americans felt embarrased by Friends, would make no sense, its just a TV show.

Are you really comparing friends to el chavo?

Good lord, I'm out.

maruchan

You misunderstand.
He's saying it's wrong that she's known/amazing to Hispanics in general, as Spanish people are hispanic and do not know her or the series.

Since when do Spanish aka Europeans become Hispanic, because their not.. their not Latino their not Hispanic, their white Europeans..

Are you really comparing friends to el chavo?

Good lord, I'm out.

I see them both as about equally stupid, yes. Are you one of those Latinos that hates his culture or something? (because make no mistake, shows like el chavo are a part of our shared identity) I can not think of other reason to your reaction other than USA exeptionalism. Both are categorically trash series with exagerated characters that act in shows with the main purpose of making its audience laugh, each one is influenced by their own culture so the way they present each other differ (plus thr 30 or so year difference)

CRS

Chespirito and everything he did is part of Mexican culture whether you like it or not.

People idolizing pop culture icons and knowing more about that than their nation's history is a separate issue and not a reason to hate Chespirito.

Metroxed

Since when do Spanish aka Europeans become Hispanic, because their not.. their not Latino their not Hispanic, their white Europeans..

Hispanic != Latino

They're two very different things.

Also, being Latino and being white is not mutually exclusive. Ask Guillermo del Toro or any of the million Argentineans.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
El Chavo was one of the worst things about visiting friends in childhood.

Just bloody awful.

Same with La India Maria.

Wow, you seem mad. What did she do to you?

She's a pretty legendary actress, tbh. A lot of people care about her.

Roo

Reminds me of the awful work they did with Itati Cantoral’s Soraya Montenegro and her “maldita marginal” line for the Orange is The New Black promo videos. This a just as tacky.

Reminds me of the awful work they did with Itati Cantoral’s Soraya Montenegro and her “maldita marginal” line for the Orange is The New Black promo videos. This a just as tacky.

"Maldita lisiada" was it? Still funny to this day, lol.

Top Bottom