• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La Vuelta a España 2017

Addnan

vuelta-a-espana-route-2017-map-e1484254081320.jpg

Information

Main website
Route
Stage profiles

Cycling News Preview

GC after STAGE 4

1. GBRFROOME Christopher 21 TEAM SKY 13h 37' 41''
2. ESPDE LA CRUZ MELGAREJO David 11 QUICK - STEP FLOORS 13h 37' 43'' + 00' 02''
3. IRLROCHE Nicolas 36 BMC RACING TEAM 13h 37' 43'' + 00' 02''
4. USAVAN GARDEREN Tejay 38 BMC RACING TEAM 13h 37' 43'' + 00' 02''
5. ITANIBALI Vincenzo 151 BAHRAIN - MERIDA 13h 37' 51'' + 00' 10''
6. COLCHAVES RUBIO Johan Esteban 41 ORICA - SCOTT 13h 37' 52'' + 00' 11''
7. ITAARU Fabio 131 ASTANA PRO TEAM 13h 38' 19'' + 00' 38''
8. GBRYATES Adam 48 ORICA - SCOTT 13h 38' 20'' + 00' 39''
9. FRABARDET Romain 81 AG2R LA MONDIALE 13h 38' 29'' + 00' 48''
10. GBRYATES Simon 49 ORICA - SCOTT 13h 38' 29'' + 00' 48''
11. CANWOODS Michael 91 CANNONDALE DRAPAC PROFESSIONAL CYCLING TEAM 13h 38' 54'' + 01' 13''
12. NEDKELDERMAN Wilco 61 TEAM SUNWEB 13h 38' 58'' + 01' 17''
13. FRABARGUIL WARREN 62 TEAM SUNWEB 13h 39' 03'' + 01' 22''
14. RUSZAKARIN Ilnur 101 TEAM KATUSHA ALPECIN 13h 39' 10'' + 01' 29''
15. NEDOOMEN Sam 69 TEAM SUNWEB 13h 39' 13'' + 01' 32''

Starts this Saturday with TTT.

Will make it look nicer on Friday.

I wasn't sure if there will be a vuelta thread or not, so I'll post it here for now.

I've made the velogames league for NeoGAF.

League Code: 67148036.

5 days until it starts!

Joni

I wonder if Froome can be a serious contender. He would be the first since the move of the Vuelta to do it.

I wonder if Froome can be a serious contender. He would be the first since the move of the Vuelta to do it.

He's tried so many times but the only team he's looked capable of winning was when he was riding for wiggins.

Looking forward to double trouble from the Yates twins

edit: And Chaves too!

Addnan

Froome's training was supposed to be so he peaks at end of Tour and so can continue into Vuelta, so will be interesting.

I wish Landa was leader here, but obviously would have been his third tour of the year. Maybe next year with Movistar.

Joni

Congratulations to former Olympic champion Samuel Sanchez for ending his career on such a high note. Banned from the Vuelta for a positive doping test ten days ago. Hope we don't see you again. Should have forbidden BMC of asking a replacement driver.

Addnan

They are still waiting for his b samples right. Would be some dumb shit to be caught so close to end of your career.

Addnan

BMC about to come out. Should show a master class in TTT...

Remaining teams

17 BMC 18:34
18 AG2R La Mondiale 18:38
19 Orica-Scott 18:42
20 Movistar 18:46
21 Team Sky 18:50
22 Trek-Segafredo 18:54

Probably the flattest stage of the race apart from the final processional and there are going to be serious crosswinds for large parts of the course.

Cort or Trentin for the win if it's a bunch.

Joni

Yves Lampaert took the victory with a last-minute attack, giving him the leadership and points jersey as well. Trentin sprinted to second place.

Sky blowing the peleton apart. Chaves looks great and both Yates' insistence of riding at the back of the pack hurting them again.

Edit: Chaves is a new man compared to July though if you watched the BSP he was at times ordered to sit up and not push himself. It was really just a training ride.

Great win from Nibali, loved the Aussie commentator who said the hand signal at the end looked more like a chicken than a shark!

Fonds

Damn, joined the party a bit late on this one.
No velo league participation this time around.

I'm liking Froome his mettle so far. He's actually riding for it, it seems.

Joni

Second victory for Quick Step with Trentin easily taking the sprint. Five in the Giro, five in the Tour, five in the Vuelta?

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Is Michael Woods supposed to be Cannondale's GC guy? It's pretty surprising seeing him keep company with the elites of the sport.

FrankCanada97

That was a pretty bad day for Van Garderen. Crashes on the descent, then in the final kms he punctures just as he is about to rejoin the Froome group and then crashes again almost immediately.

Sunweb has taken Barguil out of the Vuelta. He refused to wait for Kelderman who had a flat tire right before the final climb. Sunweb is going with Kelderman as lead this Vuelta by the way while Barguil was designated as a helper.

pretty shitty and egoistical from Barguil tbh

boxoctosis

Great decision by the team I think. Though given Barguil is moving teams at the end of the season, I doubt he cares. 100% dick move though, it's a team sport.

Joni

Unrelated to the Vuelta, but it is the best topic to post: Cannondale-Drapac will unexpectedly seize to exist as it lost a sponsor. Cyclists and other staff are free to search other employment offers, even if they have existing contracts. They will still try to find a replacement sponsor, but it apparantly looks bad.

FrankCanada97

Unrelated to the Vuelta, but it is the best topic to post: Cannondale-Drapac will unexpectedly seize to exist as it lost a sponsor. Cyclists and other staff are free to search other employment offers, even if they have existing contracts. They will still try to find a replacement sponsor, but it apparantly looks bad.

What? This is so unexpected, didn't they just sign a new big sponsor? But at the same time, it doesn't speak highly of a team's health when it goes through 3 mergers in less than 7 years. Shame, I always liked rooting for that underdog team.

I guess the only way the team survives is if Michael Woods pulls off the most impossible dark horse GC victory in recent times.

Joni

Froome solidified his lead once more, and showed nice strength. Clearly a better performance than his Tour so far.

Froome solidified his lead once more, and showed nice strength. Clearly a better performance than his Tour so far.

I feel Froome played it safe at the Tour. Now that it is Vuelta time he can have a bit more fun.

Will be fun to see him and Nibali going at it.

Top Bottom