• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Gaga ARTPOP |OT| It could mean anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaga is flopping. Ya'll best have bought your copies
iKAz4bCfHrc7y.gif

Of course, sis.

iLop8HLL6mkbU.gif

Nemesis_

Where were you for your ugly stepmother, sis?

1455064_685266564825051_1670613578_n.png

Courtesy of your favorite Gaga site ;)

Well to be fair she was #1 for the day it came out and the weekend following (it was the 8th here).

But yes, Australia is never really here for her unfortunately. Her tours sell out here, which is nice. But the albums never really perform - especially since we've got so many reality TV contestants on iTunes at the moment so it's always them rocketing up to the top :(

She's making some big AU announcement soon, I assume she'll be coming here and doing a promo junket or something. It worked wonders for Katy and I think that's reflected in her sales right now.

I'm sorry my response wasn't more ratchet

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
so they're projecting Artpop to sell 260,000 first week. Not gonna lie, that`s really disappointing, especially after BTW did over 1,000,000 first week. I hope Gaga can make a real comeback on her next album, she remains a favorite of mine and the only musical figure I give a damn about besides Madonna

so they're projecting Artpop to sell 260,000 first week. Not gonna lie, that`s really disappointing, especially after BTW did over 1,000,000 first week. I hope Gaga can make a real comeback on her next album, she remains a favorite of mine and the only musical figure I give a damn about besides Madonna

Yeah it's disappointing, but consider the fact that Born This Way sold the way it did because Gaga had come off of one of the longest string of hits in music history (JD > PF > LG > Paparazzi > BR > Telephone > Alejandro). She had reached a pop culture zeitgeist at that point and because of it an inflated number of people checked out her album. That was precisely the time when her fans settled in and casual listeners sort of moved on because the music was too polarizing.

ARTPOP performing the way it does just means that she's settled into her spot in pop, and though she was at the forefront of the scene for a while, you can't fault her for falling out of it after a few singles that didn't really resonate, an image that became too political, and then an extended break from the spotlight. She's having to restart essentially, and combining that with a single from August that didn't really hit as hard as it could have anyway, she's doing about as well as her contemporaries even then (one of whom trounced her with a worldwide smash hit, the other reaching that zeitgeist this season as well as releasing a fellow smash hit). Not really bad, obviously not where she was, but no one can hold on to that top-of-the-world status for very long. Not in this age at least.

Except for Katy Perry and Rihanna, the biggest pop stars in the world.

They sell a lot of records, but even they have never reached a peak like Gaga has. I don't think many people have honestly. I mean Gaga was considered the biggest pop star in the world even with underperforming singles. That's how huge she was. People ASSUMED her songs were best-selling hits because she was such a massive tour-de-force.

Nemesis_

I've updated the OP with every televised performance thus far.

Enjoy in case you missed any!

And I have also updated the "key dates" section of the OP too.

November 16th 2013 Saturday Night Live (Host, Musical Guest) [Performances: Gypsy and Do What U Want]
November 18th 2013 Visa Canada
November 24th 2013 American Music Awards (with R. Kelly) [Performances: Do What U Want]
November 28th 2013 The Muppet's Holiday Special Spectacular
December 8th 2013 The Jingle Bell Ball​

Nev

Banned
Except for Katy Perry and Rihanna, the biggest pop stars in the world.
They've not and will probably never reach Gaga 2009/2010 status though, that was beyond Madonna and at Michael Jackson level, something that's out of reach for these two shallow pretty faces.

About the sales, Born This Way sold 1.000.000 because at the moment of release she was one of the biggest pop stars in history, but she destroyed that by releasing stupid Born This Way singles combined with pretentious, boring and off putting videos and arrogant attitude from her part and her team.

Had she released Judas-Scheibe-Bloody Mary-Hair-Americano as singles, none of this "flop" thing would've happened. Shame she/the records company threw away her status with their "we're better than the rest" decisions.

At this point I can say Born This Way is a better album than Artpop. It is hated because there's a lot to hate about that era, including the vomit-inducing Marry The Night/Born This Way videos (and the mediocre and not single worthy songs accompanying them), the stupid religion and the "love who you are" stuff, but some of her best songs are from that album.

Bladenic

Don't forget BTW sold what it did because of the Amazon discount. It wouldn't have sold over a mil without that, probably like ~800k instead.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Well to be fair she was #1 for the day it came out and the weekend following (it was the 8th here).

But yes, Australia is never really here for her unfortunately. Her tours sell out here, which is nice. But the albums never really perform - especially since we've got so many reality TV contestants on iTunes at the moment so it's always them rocketing up to the top :(

She's making some big AU announcement soon, I assume she'll be coming here and doing a promo junket or something. It worked wonders for Katy and I think that's reflected in her sales right now.

I'm sorry my response wasn't more ratchet

RUMOUR: Lady Gaga releasing ABBA cover album in effort to crack the elusive Australian market

Nev

Banned
Most popular popstar is a given (the fact that Michael Jackson wanted her to open his "This Is It" shows should do it), but she was also one of the most famous people in earth back then and still is.

Where u livin?

Nemesis_

Gypsy was allegedly the lead single before they quickly scrapped it for Applause. I assume most people who've heard the album think that was one of the worst decisions she could've made for this album cycle.

Bladenic

Come on, she was nowhere near Michael Jackson's level. Not even close. Most popular popstar? I'm not even sure about that. Hasn't Rihanna sold an insane amount of albums/singles?

Anyway, album seems okay from what little I've heard.

No, Rihanna doesn't sell that many albums when compared to her hit singles.

Nev

Banned
Come on, she was nowhere near Michael Jackson's level. Not even close. Most popular popstar? I'm not even sure about that. Hasn't Rihanna sold an insane amount of albums/singles?

Anyway, album seems okay from what little I've heard.

Well I'm talking about the corresponding period of Michael Jackson, not his "endgame" (lol) status. What happened with him is unrepeteable because he was the first popstar in history and will always be. Taking this into account, she was fairly close, and the fact that she's been declared by several big publications like TIME as one of the most influential/famous people of the decade and her latest album has beaten both Madonna AND MJ as the most pre-ordered album in history should be a sign of her popularity.

She is here to stay until the Illuminati kill her soon

Cronox

Banned
A track or two away from finishing listening to Artpop and I'm liking it. Could do without the rap song, but the rest have been good.

It's a welcome relief after Born This Way which was just waaay too message-focused for it's own good. BTW was hard to listen to over and over like Gaga's earlier albums, too many political or empowerment messages that interrupt songs, and too many songs where it takes a good 20+ seconds for the song to start. That "artsy" build-up to a song starting is only good on the first listen. Afterwards I just wanted Gaga to get on with it. Also, a little to much Rock genre influence killed some of the club-style energy from the previous albums.

I think she was too effected by the superfans she was meeting on tour, her "little monsters," telling her how they felt alone or ostracized and how her music had helped them. She overdid the messaging in reaction to them (my theory, anyway).

This is a good step back to more digestible pop, but it doesn't feel as daring as some of the tracks from The Fame or Fame Monster. I can't help but think back to how good The Fame was. What an amazing pop debut album. Not a single track I disliked on that, including the tracks that were region specific (I guess poker face got old after a bit). Fame Monster dared further in establishing her identity, I suppose the further she went the more likely she would strike out like I consider she did in BTW. Like someone else said earlier, I'm not sure the momentum was sustainable.

Anyway, this album is in the right direction for my tastes. The guitar riffs in some tracks are a little weird, certainly not something I feel like I've heard in other pop... Gaga still has a subversive quality in her music that I enjoy, and is still my favorite female pop artist. One of these days I'll have to see her live...

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I can't be the only one excited to see my girl Gaga on SNL tonight <3 Only 2 more hours! First time tuning into this show in a long time. Wonder what songs she'll perform?

Pyrokai

Do you guys think she's likely able to do a follow-up mini-album that releases shortly after this one in the same vein as The Fame Monster and JT's 20/20 part 2 or whatever?

Do you guys think she's likely able to do a follow-up mini-album that releases shortly after this one in the same vein as The Fame Monster and JT's 20/20 part 2 or whatever?

She's said that she wants to do a second volume on ARTPOP...problem is she says a lot of things and never actually does them.

She's said she'd like to release an ARTPOP vol. 2. So the chances are pretty good I'd say.

But yeah, always the risk of Trollga striking again I suppose.

enigmatic_alex44

thanks for posting those Marius_ :) I missed most of the pics cuz I would leave to the comp for commercial breaks

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I find R Kelly so creepy

Well I'm talking about the corresponding period of Michael Jackson, not his "endgame" (lol) status. What happened with him is unrepeteable because he was the first popstar in history and will always be.
MJ was the first popstar? Huh.

you and me both :/ DWUW would be higher on my list if it wasn't for him being "featured" in the song *sigh*
I'd love an R Kelly-less version, his parts really add nothing to an otherwise great single.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
you and me both :/ DWUW would be higher on my list if it wasn't for him being "featured" in the song *sigh*

I love his part on DWUW but that live performance just made me cringe. He just looks so damn creepy

I am struggling to like this album. Not as good as her previous by a long shot.

Some good songs but she seems to have lost her way.

I pray for a Born This Way 2 album...

It is not amazing, not even great. I am not going to go as far as say that it was a waste of money, but I don't see myself listening to this album 100x over for the next few years either like the other two. Fame + Fame Monster were like perfect. Born This Way was pretty excellent, but didn't seem to catch with the general public the way Fame + Fame Monster did.

V_Arnold

I honestly think that pretty much every Lady Gaga album has a great potential to have at least 4 absolutely perfect or near-perfect songs.

For me, this time, it is Aura/Venus/Artpop/Applause.
Last time, it was Americano/Electric Chapel/Judas/Bloody Mary.

For that reason alone, I will always look forward to what she does next. : )

Alrus

No Pop album will ever be as boring as Katy Perry's Prism though.

So after a few days of listening, I think Gypsy is definitely my favorite song. Why wasn't it the first single Gaga? It would have worked so much better as a lead single than Applause :(

Subaru

http://www.naughtybutnicerob.com/la...-employees-to-be-fired-at-interscope-records/

This is fake, right? Right?

My ARTPOP ranking so far:

Platinum Tier:
- Venus
- Do what you want
- ARTPOP
- Sexxx Dreams

Gold Tier:
- Aura
- Donatella
- G.U.Y
- Gypsy
- Mary Jane Holland
- Manicure
- Applause

Silver Tier:
- Swine (the song is good, but her voice is very strange... =/)
- Fashion!

Bronze Tier:
- Dope (I'm kinda learning to like it)

Garbage Tier:
- Jewels and Drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom