• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft can't swim in the reboot? The hell? + Regen health - 12/15 hr SP

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
is Keeley Hawes still voicing Lara? Because Keeley Hawes
ogdwuv.gif

kliklik

Banned
Then what about under-water tombs, huh? Like, for example, the first level in Underworld.

Sure, but you don't NEED to swim to find tombs; not all tombs are underwater. That's the point. Just because there isn't swimming doesn't mean that she isn't a tomb raider anymore.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Has anyone considered that there is just no water sections in the game?
Instead of Lara can't swim when there is water in the game

I just went back and looked at the E3 demo from 2011 since I could swear they used a water room in that one, turns out they did but it's only waste high.

It's a bummer that she can't swim considering CD handled it well in the past, but as long as the game is designed with it in mind I don't think it'll be noticeable. And I don't care what healthsystem they use, I have no problem with regenerating health.

Congratulations Snake, you've hit the nail on the head.

There are no water sections in the game - a Tomb Raider game with no water sections. Granted it seems some are happy with this. But the water sections are intrinsic to Tomb Raider in my opinion. I was looking forward to them in this new game - now all gone. :(

nickcv

i only played the first tomb raider games at some friend house, so i never got to finish any of them.
when they first announced this game i was pretty intrigued by it.

this thread made me change my mind about this game and buy the HD collection for PS3.

i only played the first tomb raider games at some friend house, so i never got to finish any of them.
when they first announced this game i was pretty intrigued by it.

this thread made me change my mind about this game and buy the HD collection for PS3.

Dude, none of us have even played the game, you can't be that gullible.

nickcv

Dude, none of us have even played the game, you can't be that gullible.

what i liked about the first showing of this game was the settings, and what i hoped for was that the core mechanics of the series were preserved.
seems like this is not what i was looking for, and i do agree with anyone that autoregen is cheap.
the last preview during last E3 didn't help either anyway.

this, in my eyes, is shaping too much into something combat heavy with just an hint on exploration and platforming, and that's not what i want.

i'm pretty sure many people will enjoy it, i'm just not one of them.

sublimit

Banned
what i liked about the first showing of this game was the settings, and what i hoped for was that the core mechanics of the series were preserved.

The core mechanics of this series have been gone for more than 10 years ago.The legacy of (the real) Tomb Raider experience now lives through the Level Editor community.

seems like this is not what i was looking for, and i do agree with anyone that autoregen is cheap.
the last preview during last E3 didn't help either anyway.

this, in my eyes, is shaping too much into something combat heavy with just an hint on exploration and platforming, and that's not what i want.

i'm pretty sure many people will enjoy it, i'm just not one of them.

Ok, that's better. I thought you actually just read this thread and thought "I'm out". The details about health regen and showing no platforming is worrying, but really they haven't shown much. My biggest worry is the platforming will be braindead like Uncharted.

All the survival stuff they've shown and the improved combat is cool, but I just want to see the platforming.

kliklik

Banned
The details about health regen and showing no platforming is worrying, but really they haven't shown much. My biggest worry is the platforming will be braindead like Uncharted.

They have shown some platforming. There was that footage from E3 when Lara was dragging the injured old guy Roth to some shelter and then had to make her way up some shanty-town to find his satchel in order to make a distress signal.

It was brief footage and off-screen, but they showed the wall scramble and dynamic platforming, where there are multiple ways up to your goal. It really did look to me like there were multiple ways up (the area was fairly large and full of navigable-looking surfaces and walls) and these ways seemed non-obvious (not painted white glowing ledges).

Of course that's what it is. Lara just won't get to the beaches of the island - most of the game will be set inland and when she makes it to the coast, she'll be on cliffs high above and no-one in her right mind would jump off to go for a swim from that height. But many people are just going to assume the worst because they're interpreting it in the light of past PR mistakes on this game.

Of course that's what it is. Lara just won't get to the beaches of the island - most of the game will be set inland and when she makes it to the coast, she'll be on cliffs high above and no-one in her right mind would jump off to go for a swim from that height. But many people are just going to assume the worst because they're interpreting it in the light of past PR mistakes on this game.
For me its a mixture of the nonsensical answer to the swimming question and being bummed that we won't be able to do any classic Tomb Raider swan dives. Just another example of exploration/isolation being minimized and combat and cinematics getting the focus.

kliklik

Banned
For me its a mixture of the nonsensical answer to the swimming question and being bummed that we won't be able to do any classic Tomb Raider swan dives. Just another example of exploration/isolation being minimized and combat and cinematics getting the focus.

I know this namedrop probably doesn't mean much around these parts but Daemon Hatfield said that he's played the game - if not the whole thing, then a huge chunk of it and more than others - and that the game is almost open world; there are huge hubs to explore at your own pace.

And really, the old TRs had pretty bad combat. It wasn't fun or engaging. It often just came down to rocking Lara back and forth with side flips while holding down the fire button till everything was dead. It needed a drastic revamping. As long as they can keep the balance between combat and exploration leaning heavier on the latter side then it should still be TR. And it seems like they are because there are large hub worlds to explore (which can't be handled in a linear cinematic way.)

I know this namedrop probably doesn't mean much around these parts but Daemon Hatfield said that he's played the game - if not the whole thing, then a huge chunk of it and more than others - and that the game is almost open world; there are huge hubs to explore at your own pace.

And really, the old TRs had pretty bad combat. It wasn't fun or engaging. It often just came down to rocking Lara back and forth with side flips while holding down the fire button till everything was dead. It needed a drastic revamping. As long as they can keep the balance between combat and exploration leaning heavier on the latter side then it should still be TR. And it seems like they are because there are large hub worlds to explore (which can't be handled in a linear cinematic way.)
I 'd love nothing better than for you to be right. It'd be nice to see this game buck their own marketing and turn out to be worthwhile. I have no idea who Daemon Hatfield is though. Somebody at IGN?

I'm guessing you've not played any Tomb Raider games then?

Why does Lara need to get anywhere near a beach before she needs to start swimming? There's whole levels with large water based environmental puzzles in previous Tomb Raider's that took place in tombs - that Lara was raiding.

ArjanN

Why does Lara need to get anywhere near a beach before she needs to start swimming? There's whole levels with large water based environmental puzzles in previous Tomb Raider's that took place in tombs - that Lara was raiding.

Well, duh, obviously there could be a flooded tomb or a river or something, but there isn't. I'm guessing they focused their efforts more on more larger land areas.

so no flying swan dive into water any more? I guess Ill just make her jump and break her neck at some random cliff edge. Hehehe that was always fun

Well, duh, obviously there could be a flooded tomb or a river or something, but there isn't. I'm guessing they focused their efforts more on more larger land areas.
I don't remember asking you. I was discussing it with Mr 'my uncles played the new Tomb Raider and it's amazing'. He seemed to think that because Lara can't reach the sea then it's perfectly fine to have no swimming sections. Poppycock.

Well my dad's played it till completion and here's what he told me.

'Well son, they wasted all of their memory and animation budget on the cover based shooting system and Camilla Luddington's sex moaning. That stuff doesn't come cheap, something had to give."

Disappointing.

The feeling of swimming through an underwater cave/tunnel and popping your head out of the water to find yourself in some huge subterranean room was so amazing.

ArjanN

I don't remember asking you. I was discussing it with Mr 'my uncles played the new Tomb Raider and it's amazing'. He seemed to think that because Lara can't reach the sea then it's perfectly fine to have no swimming sections. Poppycock.

'Well son, they wasted all of their memory and animation budget on the cover based shooting system and Camilla Luddington's sex moaning. That stuff doesn't come cheap, something had to give."

Umm, last time I checked this was a discussion forum and I felt compelled to reply because I thought your post was pretty condescending.

Glass Rebel

Stop being a dick just because you're disappointed at the direction Tomb Raider has taken.

I ain't even mad.

Sounds like it's going to be a linear as hell, crammed with setpieces. They have so much potential with a bloody island in terms of exploration, why waste that?

Probably because it takes more time and resources to make an open-world game.

It reminds me of Final Fantasy. The games are now better-looking, but at the cost of size and scope.

kliklik

Banned

Um, Daemon isn't my uncle; he's an editor at IGN. And the point wasn't that he thinks it's amazing, but that he attests that it has large open hubs later in the game (which most people haven't seen).

I've played every Tomb Raider game in the main series plus all bonus and secret levels: TR1, TR1 Gold, TR2, TR2 Gold, TR3, TR3 Gold, TLR, Chronicles, AoD, Legend, Anniversary, Underworld, and Guardian of Light. Just because someone has an opinion that you disagree with doesn't mean that they're ignorant and uninformed.

But most importantly, what's wrong with ArjanN joining in? It's what I would have said anyway. Trust me, if we could dictate who is allowed to respond to us when we post on public boards, then your reply to me wouldn't exist.

I was talking about the coast because the reason people think it's implausible that the game doesn't contain deep water is that it's set on an island, and islands tend to be surrounded by water. I was pointing out that the coastal waters could be inaccessible. So it's not that water becomes a magical barrier for her because she can't swim, but instead, she just doesn't come across any she can swim in.

You probably think you're being pretty clever but you're just coming off as a snippy brat.

I'm pretty sure Batman: AC was in production for a shorter amount of time. Same can be said about Far Cry 3.

Sequels are easier in a way because there's a lot of work you don't have to re-do. Also, I know a guy who works at Ubi and Far Cry 3 definitely had a long development cycle.

And it's not just about time. It's about effort too. The TR guys may have started the project as a more open-world game, then go "damn, this is hard... let's just make a linear action game".

Cyrano

i don't even

i just

i don't even
She gets regenerative health from falling into the water, but touching future water warps her into an incomprehensible mutant... who can't swim. It all makes sense now!

I want to see them try to pull this off. Oh the trainwreck will be glorious.

Glass Rebel

She gets regenerative health from falling into the water, but touching future water warps her into an incomprehensible mutant... who can't swim. It all makes sense now!

I want to see them try to pull this off. Oh the trainwreck will be glorious.

eSCec.png

ArjanN

Sequels are easier in a way because there's a lot of work you don't have to re-do. Also, I know a guy who works at Ubi and Far Cry 3 definitely had a long development cycle.

And it's not just about time. It's about effort too. The TR guys may have started the project as a more open-world game, then go "damn, this is hard... let's just make a linear action game".

I'm pretty sure they were always going for a smaller Batman Arkham Asylum type of "open-world" and still are.

Top Bottom