• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night Wars - Conan's last Tonight Show was TONIGHT a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanhero

DrEvil said:
As I've said before, I was at the show where Tom Hanks first called him CoCo, and he loves it.

After the show when he was recording the local promos, he did a bunch where he said "Hi everyone, I'm CoCo O'Brien!" as a joke for the audience.

He and Tom were joking around about it during the commercial breaks, and Green Day were all over it too.

He loves it... or at least he doesn't hate it.

He can of course take a joke, that's why hes not gonna complain about it. But from watching all the clips, I can tell he rather it didnt stick. I guess we'll never know for sure though.

numble

DrEvil said:
Isn't it a holiday in USATown? MLK JR?
It is a holiday, not sure if all states celebrate it. Not all businesses celebrate it. But I'd have to think that most students have the day off.

yanhero said:
He can of course take a joke, that's why hes not gonna complain about it. But from watching all the clips, I can tell he rather it didnt stick. I guess we'll never know for sure though.
He made a clip of Obama that had a caption like "Obama: I'm on Team CoCo."

Sixfortyfive said:
When did Arsenio Hall's show run again? I remember that one being considered almost sort-of a success. Kinda.
He was on like 89 to 94. Letterman coming to cbs hurt him not just in ratings but arsenios show wasnt tied to one network so any cbs channel thay had him now showed letterman instead and he had farakan on and that ruffled some feathers. But yeah he was popular

DrEvil

not a medical professional
There's a dude dressed as the masturbating bear..

awesome.

edit: is it THE masturbating bear? there's a camera crew with him!

Shaneus

Shit, I almost forgot... I'd love to see one more outing of Conan and his... producer? The guy who he went house shopping with in L.A. and out to dinner with in N.Y.C. It's the only time I've ever seen Conan act like a complete prick and loved every second of it.

If anyone can link me up to some clips (preferably YouTube) of them together, I'd be grateful!

Edit: It's Hanging Out with Jordan Schlansky. But it only seems to be on Hulu :(

JGS

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
The stories from 2004 all state that NBC came to Leno because Conan had offers to leave. Something that is supported by Conan's "farewell" letter when he says he passed up offers to leave to other networks to host Tonight.

I don't have a problem with that.

I believe they were worried about losing Conan since Conan was getting offers and not knowing Jay's definite intentions. I'm positive they let Leno know about it and their concerns. I'm thinking they reconciled the contracts to end at the same time. Conan was their best bet to combat Letterman so he was necessary once Jay bolted, not when he would be fired which would have never happened barring a major ratings catastrophe.

I will never believe without transcripts (& video:lol ) that they went to Jay who had and would continue to have the #1 talk show and pushed him out to make way for Conan who had half the audience. Further, Conan wasn't a Jay clone. At worst, he was a host with a cult following and at best too quirky for Jay's audience. In any event he was too unknown to fire Jay over.

Schlep

So much for Zucker and his theory about this all dying down. This is turning into a PR nightmare for NBC...even moreso than last week.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It's someone wearing a bear suit. It's kind of a sad thing to know, but that's not the same suit.

yanhero

Schlep said:
So much for Zucker and his theory about this all dying down. This is turning into a PR nightmare for NBC...even moreso than last week.

I don't get why people think its such a PR nightmare for NBC. Personally, I'm still gonna watch great shows like Chuck, 30 Rock, and Community no matter what channel they are on, and I think most people will too. I think this whole deal is only going to affect Leno, and not NBC as a whole.

yanhero said:
I think this whole deal is only going to affect Leno, and not NBC as a whole.
I understand that Team CoCo may have some delusions here, but even just affecting Leno is reward enough. NBC is already in last place before the Conan incident.

JGS

Banned
yanhero said:
I don't get why people think its such a PR nightmare for NBC. Personally, I'm still gonna watch great shows like Chuck, 30 Rock, and Community no matter what channel they are on, and I think most people will too. I think this whole deal is only going to affect Leno, and not NBC as a whole.
Technically, you're right, but bad PR requires a respnse from the network. It's less time spent promoting their great shows.

Also, since Leno is staying on NBC and if people boycott him (whether viewers or guests), ratings will go down and NBC loses some of the profits it makes that help to pay for the losses on their primetime line-up. NBC's great primetime shows do not make them a lot of money. In fact, NBC loses money for GE hence the sale to Comcast.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
They've let everyone in to the studio area of TTS.. he must be making an appearance shortly.

Is that him on the roof?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Conan Stop the Rain
Conan Stop the Rain
Conan Stop the Rain
Conan Stop the Rain

Andy
Andy
Andy

Shaneus said:
Shit, I almost forgot... I'd love to see one more outing of Conan and his... producer? The guy who he went house shopping with in L.A. and out to dinner with in N.Y.C. It's the only time I've ever seen Conan act like a complete prick and loved every second of it.

If anyone can link me up to some clips (preferably YouTube) of them together, I'd be grateful!

Edit: It's Hanging Out with Jordan Schlansky. But it only seems to be on Hulu :(

One of my all time favorite things he has EVER DONE. FUCKING EVER.

"Just eat your mush...*ha ha*...and shut the fuck up."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom