• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night Wars - Conan's last Tonight Show was TONIGHT a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
LOL, the audio on the TMZ stream sounds like everyone's in witness protection.

"Puppies dressed like cats! Wooo"

Prior to Letterman's Late Show, were there any decently successful talk show competitors to NBC? I was browsing Wikipedia the other day, and I just kept running across repeated failure as other networks kept trying to get a piece of the pie. My browsing didn't take me earlier than the mid 80s, though.

DrEvil

Schlep said:
This audio is cracking me up. :lol

Sounds like a damn zombie movie.

It's the Tonight Show with ZOMBIE CONAN!
And I'm Andy Braineater.

I take it the TMZ folk are probably in the subway trying to figure out why the audios' messed up lol.

edit: yup.. streams' back with proper audio.

Thomper

JoshuaJSlone said:
Prior to Letterman's Late Show, were there any decently successful talk show competitors to NBC? I was browsing Wikipedia the other day, and I just kept running across repeated failure as other networks kept trying to get a piece of the pie. My browsing didn't take me earlier than the mid 80s, though.
Here's a list of pretty much every late-night show ever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_late_night_network_TV_programs

And yeah, most failed within a few months/years, either due to lack of viewers, or disinterest on the side of the host to continue.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Oh c'mon, it is nearly 60 degrees there. That's sandals and socks weather around my parts.

DrEvil

I can only assume that since Conan doesnt tape for another 3 hours that there will be video of this on the show tonight.. at least I'd hope so.

Or maybe video of his speech to the crowd..

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Not that I'll ever have the pleasure of seeing this, but what would happen if the audience for Leno's first show back boos him and won't stop booing him?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
JoshuaJSlone said:
When did Arsenio Hall's show run again? I remember that one being considered almost sort-of a success. Kinda.

Hitokage said:
Not that I'll ever have the pleasure of seeing this, but what would happen if the audience for Leno's first show back boos him and won't stop booing him?

I'm pretty certain they'll be screening their audience for a while.

DrEvil

Hitokage said:

Sweet awesome justice.

But seriously, I'm sure they'd stop the show, tell the audience to applaud or they'll be booted out.

The audience would likely be booted and they'd dub the entire show with a laugh track supplied entirely by Kevin Eubanks.

edit: this Mr. T fan is ... uh... eccentric.

Hitokage said:
I really wish that could be organized. NBC would just fill the crowd with staff I'm sure.

DrEvil

They're headed towards the gates of the Studios where TTS is being filmed, sounds like Conan's coming out very soon.

The wind has also substantially picked up, lol.

DrEvil

Hah, apparently they're putting Conan (or LaBamba) into a popemobile and they're gonna drive down the street for the supporters.

JGS said:
If I were Leno, I would have never signed a non-compete clause after being with them for another 5 years. Watching the video of the Tonght Show announcement (not the press conference one), it seems clear to me that Leno was ready to go after 5 years. He felt he would be tired of the format. However, I am convinced (sort of) that Leno is obsessive compulsive and likes sticking with the same thing.

There was no reason for them to fret over Conan leaving unless they thought they were going to lose Jay not the other way around. They thought they were going to lose Jay anyway, so they did not want to lose Conan. I do not believe that NBC suggested Leno leave to make way for Conan. There was no smart business reason for a decision like that.

It's probably true that NBC did not know that Leno was not retiring from talk show television, their bone headed move was letting that sway them one way or another once the ink was dry on the (2009) contracts. They are letting the employee run the show.
Right, and if Leno didn't sign the non-compete they should have known that Leno was ready to walk to another network and they should have let Conan walk at that point. Or instead of giving Tonight outright, start giving him weeks where he would guest host "Tonight" and have Fallon do Late Night whenever Conan was in LA. There were a million ways they could have done this if they realized that Leno was not going to retire in 2009.

Also I do think Conan could have made a later time slot work rather than going the scorched earth route. Had they moved Jay to 11:30-11:55 (instead of 11:35-12:05) and had Tonight go from 11:55-12:45 they could have given Conan a much better lead-in lineup (and not really screw Fallon/Daly either) and in turn Conan should have asked to be guaranteed the Tonight Show be moved back to 11:35 if:
- Leno retires/moves to another network
- Ratings of Leno's show are poor over a certain time period
- Ratings of Tonight is poor over a certain time period

I do not believe that NBC suggested Leno leave to make way for Conan. There was no smart business reason for a decision like that.
The stories from 2004 all state that NBC came to Leno because Conan had offers to leave. Something that is supported by Conan's "farewell" letter when he says he passed up offers to leave to other networks to host Tonight.

infinityBCRT said:
Also I do think Conan could have made a later time slot work rather than going the scorched earth route. Had they moved Jay to 11:30-11:55 (instead of 11:35-12:05) they could have given Conan a much better lead-in lineup and in turn Conan should have asked to be guaranteed the Tonight Show be moved back to 11:35 if:
- Leno retires/moves to another network
- Ratings of Leno's show are poor over a certain time period
- Ratings of Tonight is poor over a certain time period
Whether or not the scorched earth approach was the best tactic, moving The Tonight Show back was a terrible, terrible idea. It was a giant slap in the face to both Conan and the legacy of The Tonight Show.

Wow @ Conan's visit to Hunter S. Thompson's shooting range. Hunter has a scary, creepy breakdown: "Aaaaauggghugghhh!"

Conan: "That man was just holding a machine gun."

yanhero said:
All you team coco fans realize he hates being called coco right?
Why on Earth would you think that? If that were the case, given that it is (or was) his show, don't you think that there would have been a memo or something to the effect of "stop referring to me as CoCo in pre-written sketches." They used that nickname all the time.

DrEvil

yanhero said:
All you team coco fans realize he hates being called coco right?

As I've said before, I was at the show where Tom Hanks first called him CoCo, and he loves it.

After the show when he was recording the local promos, he did a bunch where he said "Hi everyone, I'm CoCo O'Brien!" as a joke for the audience.

He and Tom were joking around about it during the commercial breaks, and Green Day were all over it too.

He loves it... or at least he doesn't hate it.

R_GILL said:
What ever happened to Pierre Bernard, his serial killer interview was one of the greatest things he did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQPwINts3MI

Pierre and the recliner of rage was awesome. Don't forget that he was also the head graphic guy for the show and so was also possibly responsible for this little slice of animated awesome:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/76261/the-tonight-show-with-conan-obrien-super-mario-set

Conan: "Doesn't Labamba look like he just walked out of Super Mario Bros?" :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom