• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night Wars - Conan's last Tonight Show was TONIGHT a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustin

Neo Member
the writing on fallon's show is excellent, however, he has no delivery. give him time, he'll get there. i think we all remember how conan was when he first started hosting late night.

Cyan

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
Do you think my stand-by ticket to the final show is going to be worth some cash? I still think I am just going to keep it and frame it along with the article from the LA Times I am in.
Doubt it'll be worth more in cash than it is in sentimental value. Especially with the LA Times article to go with it.

Miguel

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Leno is late night Garfield jokes and that is what makes him safe and likable to the mindless.
:lol

tumblr_kvxsuh1gSH1qz8z2ro1_r1_500.png

Leno minus Eubanks :lol

Trurl

Banned
EzLink said:
So good

too bad they would add a laugh track in anyways so it wouldn't matter for the home viewer
It would still destroy Leno's performance. Anonymous wants to fill the entire audience, but if they succeed I think it will be too obvious and they'll just replace the audience right away. It would work better if they only filled half of the audience, or if they offered very tepid laughter in place of utter silence.

I would have been for this when there still seemed to be a chance of NBC keeping O'Brien, but now that it's history we should just let Leno be with his tarnished image and boring show.

CzarTim

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
:lol :lol :lol

Trurl said:
It would still destroy Leno's performance. Anonymous wants to fill the entire audience, but if they succeed I think it will be too obvious and they'll just replace the audience right away. It would work better if they only filled half of the audience, or if they offered very tepid laughter in place of utter silence.

I would have been for this when there still seemed to be a chance of NBC keeping O'Brien, but now that it's history we should just let Leno be with his tarnished image and boring show.
I think they should do it for a week or two just to send a message. Utter silences would be awesome. Chanting "Coco" would be even better. It may only be an inconvenience the NBC..., but dude deserves it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
blame space said:
:lol Now this I can condone. Try to ignore the 4chan autofellatio.

http://i46.tinypic.com/23kvfjk.jpg

Would be totally pointless. It's not a live show, what would stop NBC from just adding in a laugh track, and if they need a shot of audience, use a shot from previous show?

What would be more effective is a protest at The Today Show, since that's live, as many people can show up as you want, and no one needs tickets.

czartim said:
:lol :lol :lol

I think they should do it for a week or two just to send a message. Utter silences would be awesome. Chanting "Coco" would be even better. It may only be an inconvenience the NBC..., but dude deserves it.

you'll make coco look bad by this.
The news will be saying coco fans are bitter & sabotaging shows because coco couldn't win.

Mason

That's a stupid idea. If the audience doesn't cooperate, they'll just kick everyone out and grab people from the studio lot to fill the seats. It would be a minor inconvenience at best.

Trurl

Banned
DrForester said:
Would be totally pointless. It's not a live show, what would stop NBC from just adding in a laugh track, and if they need a shot of audience, use a shot from previous show?
If Leno can stand in the midst of blank stares and silence without having his delivery being ruined then he is a better comedian than we give him credit for.

The only solution would be to stop the show, get a new audience, and start back from the beginning.

I don't support the idea at this point, though.

Conan's 2nd show with Izabel Goulart gives me
false
hope that I can get a super hot girlfriend again.

Smart? Check.
Funny? Check.
Not too much muscle? Check.
Some fat so she has some cushion to lay on? Check.

maharg

idspispopd
Trurl said:
The only solution would be to stop the show, get a new audience, and start back from the beginning.

Well, it ain't live. I'm sure they've done it before when faced with less of a threat to the quality of the show.

The Kimmel show would have more of a problem, though. Though not actually live anymore, they have less time between taping and airing.

If I'm not mistaken Conan is getting paid 30+ million to NOT WORK, why are we feeling sorry for him?

On CNN I see this footage of this young girl with 2 broken legs screaming in pain in some medical tent while everyone is ignoring her because they were so busy tending to others. That's something to feel sorry for.

ATF487

Ken Masters said:
If I'm not mistaken Conan is getting paid 30+ million to NOT WORK, why are we feeling sorry for him?

On CNN I see this footage of this young girl with 2 broken legs screaming in pain in some medical tent while everyone is ignoring her because they were so busy tending to others. That's something to feel sorry for.

You know, I've never thought about it like that.

numble

Ken Masters said:

I too anxiously await the next J.D. Salinger novel.

KHarvey16

Ken Masters said:

This argument always seems funny to me. The guy works for 20 years for a network, 16 or 17 of them spent being groomed for a position, only to have the position promised to him and then completely stolen away by a few idiots in charge. Money is not the most important thing to a person's happiness so it stands to reason that something like that can safely produce empathy and even sympathy for the way he was treated. Based on all reports and what we've all seen, he's a good guy who takes care of his employees and is in this game for the right reasons. We're allowed to feel bad for him.

Based on your argument here, I hope you have never been upset or sad in your life. Someone always has it worse.

KHarvey16 said:
This argument always seems funny to me. The guy works for 20 years for a network, 16 or 17 of them spent being groomed for a position, only to have the position promised to him and then completely stolen away by a few idiots in charge. Money is not the most important thing to a person's happiness so it stands to reason that something like that can safely produce empathy and even sympathy for the way he was treated. Based on all reports and what we've all seen, he's a good guy who takes care of his employees and is in this game for the right reasons. We're allowed to feel bad for him.

Based on your argument here, I hope you have never been upset or sad in your life. Someone always has it worse.

I see where you are coming from, but people must keeps things in perspective. This reminds me the Kanye/Underwood situation. People were acting like Kanye raped her in some dark ally then she went back to her shelter in misery. When in reality a millionaire got interrupted by another millionaire while excepting a prize for best female music video.

AVclub

Ken Masters said:

Your simplistic approach to comparing disparate situations is unsound. If you can't feel bad for Conan because there are others worse off, then you shouldn't give a fuck about the little girl with the two broken legs. There are thousands of people who have died painfully, I'm sure they were worse off. Or you could always find some tragic story of a vicious rape survivor to feel bad about instead of a girl who's legs will heal eventually.

aparisi2274

Not sure if this was posted, but this is from Questlove's twitter about the final Conan show:

Although Conan refrained from slamming NBC during his last night on the Tonight Show, Coco had no problem spending the network's $$$!

Tweeted Questlove:

"yo i hate spoiling but i will have you know that walk on song we just heard was half a milli. i know cause i got the list rate at nbc… anytime you use the beatles on tv that will cost you dearly."

AVclub said:
Your simplistic approach to comparing disparate situations is unsound. If you can't feel bad for Conan because there are others worse off, then you shouldn't give a fuck about the little girl with the two broken legs. There are thousands of people who have died painfully, I'm sure they were worse off. Or you could always find some tragic story of a vicious rape survivor to feel bad about instead of a girl who's legs will heal eventually.

I don't feel sorry for a millionaire who's getting paid 30+ million to stay home in one of his many mansions, while he waits for another multi million dollar contract from some other network

I bring up the Haitian girl because that is true suffering. Sadly we live in a world where we idealize celebrities and any fallback they have is like a stab in the heart to the "common folk".

Trurl

Banned
AVclub said:
Your simplistic approach to comparing disparate situations is unsound.
On the same note, it's been amazing to see NBC execs minimize their fuck up by comparing it to Haiti. Now, only a sociopath would think that late night is more important than Haiti, but this stuff is their job! Can you imagine fucking up at work and saying "sorry, boss, but at least I'm not as bad as that human tragedy in Haiti."

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Ken Masters said:

Oh give me a fucking break. According to you, no one should feel sorry for anyone or anything ever because, somewhere in the world, someone is suffering worse. That's just asinine. "Oh, you just lost both arms and a leg? Well, someone lost both legs and both arms, so you really shouldn't complain."

Trurl said:
On the same note, it's been amazing to see NBC execs minimize their fuck up by comparing it to Haiti. Now, only a sociopath would think that late night is more important than Haiti, but this stuff is their job! Can you imagine fucking up at work and saying "sorry, boss, but at least I'm not as bad as that human tragedy in Haiti."

the NBC execs are right to act like it's not a big deal, Conan should have won an Oscar for that performance though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom