• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night Wars - Conan's last Tonight Show was TONIGHT a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Ken Masters said:
I don't feel sorry for a millionaire who's getting paid 30+ million to stay home in one of his many mansions, while he waits for another multi million dollar contract from some other network

I bring up the Haitian girl because that is true suffering. Sadly we live in a world where we idealize celebrities and any fallback they have is like a stab in the heart to the "common folk".
Glad to know what your barometer is for true suffering.

So, can we get back to talking about Conan now, or do we have to wait for your call?

snesfreak

Banned
10th-cats.gif

numble

Ken Masters, unless you post in every single GAF thread with the same sentiment, you're just trolling.

Posters sad about millionaires losing a game in the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB? GET SOME PERSPECTIVE PEOPLE!

Posters sad that their favorite game didn't sell as well as they wanted? OMG what about Poland?

Trouble with your girlfriend? Bu bu bu virgin-gaf!

Tedesco!

Ken Masters said:
I don't feel sorry for a millionaire who's getting paid 30+ million to stay home in one of his many mansions, while he waits for another multi million dollar contract from some other network

I bring up the Haitian girl because that is true suffering. Sadly we live in a world where we idealize celebrities and any fallback they have is like a stab in the heart to the "common folk".

But this isn't the sad Haitian girl thread that got derailed with Conan talk. You're in the wrong thread. Go find the sad Haitian girl thread. Move along.

Cyan

Banned
numble said:
What performance are you talking about?
Conan was only pretending to be upset at his dream being destroyed.

Once you pass $1 million in net worth, you are no longer really affected by such mundane things as emotion. Everyone knows that.

AVclub

Ken Masters said:

I think you're way off base. Who are you to say what "true suffering" is? Ever have a broken leg? Ever spend 20 years working up to your dream job then have it taken away from you after half a year? How do you know what hurts more?

This situation has nothing to do with idealizing a celebrity (whatever that means). It has to do with a scenario people can relate to. A sudden broken limb or two due to an act of nature are certainly bad. Having to publicly endure the heartbreak of your life after building up to it for several decades is also bad. No matter how muck money is involved.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Cyan said:

Once you pass $1 million in net worth, you are no longer really affected by such mundane things as emotion. Everyone knows that.
Indeed, money is the only reason why people do anything, and Conan already has his.

Ken Masters said:
the NBC execs are right to act like it's not a big deal, Conan should have won an Oscar for that performance though

Because clearly a successful person can't have dreams or be sad when he loses something that he's wanted his whole life.

Seriously, fuck off. We all know that there are more important things in the world (and so does Conan, having plugged Haiti charities on his show during this whole mess), but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't expect people in the public spotlight to behave with some common decency. People's emotions don't go away when they make a million dollars, and ultimately, we empathize with people who are experiencing negative emotions, whether they be rich or poor.

Cyan

Banned
Ken Masters said:
his "heartfelt" speech during the his final show
Called it.

Cyan said:

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Ken Masters said:
his "heartfelt" speech during the his final show
:lol :lol :lol Ah man, Ken, you're a funny guy. Please, stick around.

Forgotten_Taco, I dunno why you gotta name call, the guy's clearly trying to make a joke. Pretty funny, I think.

snesfreak

Banned
I'm watching the Late Night 10th Anniversary Special and making gifs as I find shit I'd completely forgotten about.
10th-andy1.gif

It's even better with the music :lol :lol :lol

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I don't know how any of you can post in this thread now that someone has just been banned!

Get some perspective, people.

Cohsae

morningbus said:
I don't know how any of you can post in this thread now that someone has just been banned!

Get some perspective, people.
I hear Ken got a pretty big payout. He's getting paid to NOT post!

MaGlock

I was still a lurker during most of this, but i am a huge conan supporter and realizing im 7 months away from more conan i dont know what ill do with myself. i can sure as hell tell you i will not be watching leno!

I mean, yeah, already had a ton of respect and affection for Max owing to the E-Street Band and Springsteen.

But...goddamn. Jacket, no jacket, dives straight in. And has a helluva grin while doing it. Fantastic moment. A guy who just loves banging the drums. :bow Max :bow.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've been trying to find the SNL skit (an episode that Conan hosted) where he plays Right Said Fred, and Tracy Morgan plays Cameo (Word Up). I can't find it at all.

Anyone have a link?

web01

whats the best way to download some of these conan clips from various websites?

I used to have a program years ago that let you download flash videos from websites but havent got a clue what it was called.

xrich said:
holy shit that music sucks. max was awesome thogh
I hate you for hating DFA1979 but I love you for the Community avatar. I be confused.

But seriously, I remember that show like it was yesterday. Max was so good. DFA and Arcade Fire are two musical performances on Conan that really stick out for me.

thetrin said:
I've been trying to find the SNL skit (an episode that Conan hosted) where he plays Right Said Fred, and Tracy Morgan plays Cameo (Word Up). I can't find it at all.

Anyone have a link?

Is that the one where he says "I'm not too sexy for a sandwich?" (something along those lines). that cracked me up.

Can anyone find Conan's last speech on Late Night from earlier this year? I want to be able to watch both "goodbye moments" together because I'm a crazy bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom