• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night Wars - Conan's last Tonight Show was TONIGHT a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

In a way, I wished Conan never got married. The way he used to flirt with all the female guest always cracked me up. I think he toned it down big time after the marriage but the clip with Izabel Goulard was pretty 'effin gold. :lol

I never knew CoCo had such good chemistry with Martha. I love one of the youtube comments going something like "Conan had the power to turn a serious, cold-hearted bitch seem genuine and funny." :lol

I wish I never lost my 10th Anniversary dvd and lend my Triumph dvd to a friend which ironically enough, got torned up by his dog. Time to purchase both dvds again.

lljride

Kintaro said:

I heard that this morning. Dan Patrick went surprisingly hard at him (well, about as hard as can be expected from a sports talk show host that also happens to be an NBC employee). Dick clearly came on just to talk about the Olympics on NBC so I give DP a lot of credit for at least hitting him with Leno/Conan questions and not completely backing down when Ebersol tried to say he couldn't talk about it.

snesfreak

Banned
"The one person who was largely innocent in all this was Jay," Ebersol said.
:lol :lol :lol

Ebersol said he's funnier than Letterman and that made all the difference.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oh man what a fucking idiot.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Posted?

FOX is set to move fast to pick up Conan O'Brien for a rival late-night show, according to sources.

Talks between O'Brien and Fox could start as early as this week.

"Chances like this don't come around very often," says the source with knowledge of the situation.

"If Fox wants to be in late night, now's the time."

That Fox is interested in Conan is no secret.

"He's one of the few guys on the planet who has demonstrated he can do one of these shows every night," Kevin Reilly, Fox's entertainment president, said last week.

What is new is word that Fox wants to complete a deal with Conan quickly.

Fox has long wanted to create a late-night show -- and a morning show -- to compete with NBC, ABC and CBS.

"Today" and "Tonight," for instance, are cash cows for NBC -- bring in around $800 million a year in revenues.

But starting flagship shows like those has been next to impossible.

"The Chevy Chase Show," Fox's last attempt to crack late night, was canceled in 1993 after just four weeks.

Joan Rivers lasted less than a year on Fox late night in 1986-87.

But more things are in Fox's favor now than in the past, sources explained.

O'Brien's young appeal is a better fit at Fox than at NBC, which was used to the larger-but-older audience that Jay Leno had been getting at 11:30.

Fox is the top-ranked network now -- it was No. 4 then -- thanks to shows like "American Idol," and it has the clout to promote Conan better.

And, most attractive of all, Conan's salary will be paid in large part by NBC -- thanks to the $32.5-million settlement he received last week to get out of his "Tonight" show contract.

Indications are that Fox execs began quizzing local affiliates last week to see if time at 11 p.m. -- now reserved mostly for reruns of comedies -- can be cleared.

"If they don't jump now, they'll have to wait another five years for another opportunity like this to come along," says the source.

Offers from cable TV channels and TV syndication are also expected to come in this week, sources close to Conan said.

At the center of talks with Fox will be whether Conan, like David Letterman, will be allowed to own his show -- or split ownership with Fox.

"One things for sure," says a Conan source. "He won't do anything that is not a high-quality show."

Translation: Any new show will be expecting a "Tonight" show-type budget.

A spokesman for Fox could not be reached yesterday.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainme...on_conan_dnDxLiRzyGOJAc6xufoIfJ#ixzz0dfKLoAvI

Good to see Fox not sitting on their asses waiting for something to happen. We basically knew this was going to happen, but it's great to see it being written about, and so soon too.

Slacker

We'd probably have to put up with American Idol rejects as guests once in a while, but I'll take it. Make it happen, FOX! Go Coco!

Would we WANT him on at 11:00 though? I was under the impression that Fox did local news at 11 in larger markets...like NYC and LA, etc.
Large market here in Dallas, and Fox does indeed have local news at 10:00 PM Central (aka 11:00 PM on the coasts). We also have Fox 4 News at 9:00 PM for an hour, though, so I assume the 10:00 PM news is just there to get people flipping over from CSI or whatever. Seems like it could easily be dumped for Coco.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
BrandNew said:
Would we WANT him on at 11:00 though? I was under the impression that Fox did local news at 11 in larger markets...like NYC and LA, etc.

They do their news at 10, well at least here in NYC.

This is definitely exciting news. I also think 11:00PM is the perfect time. You can jump directly from your favorite 10:00PM show without having to wait 30 minutes for the news.

If they really move fast enough and market the ass out of this, I can really see CoCo demolishing on this network. It would be the sweetest revenge to see him crush Leno next season.

Slacker

BenjaminBirdie said:
If they really move fast enough and market the ass out of this, I can really see CoCo demolishing on this network.
Hell, if they could get 5% of their 30 million idol viewers to tune in, Coco would be kicking ass and taking names. Hmmm... I'm getting an idea here... Kris Allen And The Tonight Show Band... (note to Max/Jimmy: just kidding)

Sanjuro

Boston is at 10 PM. Providence affiliate broadcasts CBS news at 10 PM.

I would say a majority of cities are like this. Fox would still need to get all of the affiliates on board but I'm fairly sure they would push their hand if needed.

Schlep

Everyone knew this was coming, but good to see it, like BrandNew said.

"If they don't jump now, they'll have to wait another five years for another opportunity like this to come along," says the source.
Wrong. This is a once in 25-50 years situation for Fox. They've never been able to get their late night shows off the ground because they've been either people with no experience (Chevy Chase and Wanda Sykes) or also-rans (Joan Rivers). Fox will never again have the opportunity to start a late night block with a host who has: 17 years experience, a dedicated following, a writing crew and other staff who've been working on the show forever, and command of the young demographic.

The quicker Fox acts, the more likely they are to transport the exact show that's been on NBC for the past two weeks to their network. The longer they wait, the more likely it is that people from The Tonight Show take other opportunities and are not available when the Fox show actually starts.

I'd go so far as to say this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Fox.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
For the most part I really don't care about celebrities, but for some reason I just want Conan to succeed sooooo badly.

Schlep said:

Yeah. Could the stars be any more aligned for FOX's late night prospects than now?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Schlep said:
They've never been able to get their late night shows off the ground because they've been either people with no experience (Chevy Chase and Wanda Sykes).
Did she already get canceled?:lol Gosh, I hope so.

Schlep

Quadratic said:
I hope Conan can go back to NYC for a show on FOX
Doubtful. Pretty certain Fox will just lease Conan's studio from NBC. That saves them time/money while they work out a long term plan with a set at Fox Studios.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Did she already get canceled?:lol Gosh, I hope so.
Not yet, but it's just a matter of time. Watched about 5 minutes of the show on Saturday and it was AWFUL.

numble

Conan clearly likes the space available on Hollywood lots and having a gigantic studio that fits an elephants and stuff. There is less opportunity for that in Los Angeles.

Zeliard

And, most attractive of all, Conan's salary will be paid in large part by NBC -- thanks to the $32.5-million settlement he received last week to get out of his "Tonight" show contract.

That's what's going to do it. The murmurs coming out of Fox since this whole thing started have pretty much been that the creative people there want Conan more than anything, but that the money people are (or were) concerned about it.

Ryck

Schlep said:
Everyone knew this was coming, but good to see it, like BrandNew said.

Wrong. This is a once in 25-50 years situation for Fox. They've never been able to get their late night shows off the ground because they've been either people with no experience (Chevy Chase and Wanda Sykes) or also-rans (Joan Rivers). Fox will never again have the opportunity to start a late night block with a host who has: 17 years experience, a dedicated following, a writing crew and other staff who've been working on the show forever, and command of the young demographic.

The quicker Fox acts, the more likely they are to transport the exact show that's been on NBC for the past two weeks to their network. The longer they wait, the more likely it is that people from The Tonight Show take other opportunities and are not available when the Fox show actually starts.

I agree with all of this.. I think with Fox's primetime lead-ins Conan would KILL at 11pm.

Mrbob

I listened to the Ebersol interview on Dan patrick show...what a character.

"When did you last talk to Conan?"

"12 days before his first Tonight Show taping."

"When did you last talk to Leno?"

"Last week Thursday."

SMH. I'm glad Conan is out, screw NBC. Come on Fox.

FWIW I think Conan is a great fit for Fox and vice versa... like Letterman said, the smart play is to go across the street and punish NBC and make them eat their words. I hope Conan does exactly that.

tokkun

I don't understand. Why would this cause Fox to pay him less?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
tokkun said:
I don't understand. Why would this cause Fox to pay him less?

Some sources say Conan has to give back NBC whatever amount he makes from other networks during a certain time period. Not sure was it confirmed or not.

FOX produces a high quality news broadcast at 10 pm in NY. This makes me feel old, but I still remember when Curt Menefee was their backup sports guy. Their lead anchor, Rosanna Scotto, has huge mob ties. But she does her thing.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
10 O'Clock News in New England (on Fox). I think starting at 11pm would be huge (as stated). 11 to 12 is nice and neat time slot.

Socreges

Banned
John Dunbar said:
Some sources say Conan has to give back NBC whatever amount he makes from other networks during a certain time period. Not sure was it confirmed or not.
Right. But why would that mean that FOX pays any less?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom