• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night Wars - Conan's last Tonight Show was TONIGHT a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
templeusox said:
Because if it is a zero sum game, then it is assumed that Conan will make NBC pay his salary and not his new employer.
But only until September, I thought. And he'd be getting paid the same before then anyhow. I suppose he could begin his show earlier, regardless, just to get as good a jump on things as possible, and essentially work for free (on TV or not, he'd be getting the same amount of money). Also, he could stagger his contract so he gets paid $1 from FOX, but then millions once September hits.

Deku

Banned
Plausible terms of a FOX deal
- High budget production, but significantly less funding than what NBC puts into tonight (as the show is unproven)
- All of Conan's staff would either have to take a pay cut or there would be lay offs
- A majority, but not all FOX affiliates sign on, with significant minority doing it on a trial basis (ie: if show is not as profitable or more profitable than their reruns, they will pull out after 12 months)

So the headlines become 'Conan under the gun to perform or FOX is in danger of losing affiliate support'

Would a scenario like this fly for Conan?

Also I can see Conan maybe agreeing to a very low salary to offset the show's cost and to keep all his staff.

itsgreen

John Dunbar said:
Some sources say Conan has to give back NBC whatever amount he makes from other networks during a certain time period. Not sure was it confirmed or not.

False.

During negotiations it was commonly thought to be the case. After they signed the deal it turned out Conan gets all of the 35-ish million bucks for himself no matter what.

So Fox pays what Fox pays and NBC doesnt care, cause they pay the number they agreed on.

Tmz for more information...

numble

Socreges said:
But only until September, I thought. And he'd be getting paid the same before then anyhow. I suppose he could begin his show earlier, regardless, just to get as good a jump on things as possible, and essentially work for free (on TV or not, he'd be getting the same amount of money). Also, he could stagger his contract so he gets paid $1 from FOX, but then millions once September hits.
Even though its all rumors... the 32 million is for the 2.5 years that were supposed to be left on his contract, if there is a salary offset (unconfirmed), the rumors are that it will be for the 2.5 year period. And it's been confirmed that he can't host any show, salary offset or not, until Sept. 1.

jonezer4

Deku said:
So the headlines become 'Conan under the gun to perform or FOX is in danger of losing affiliate support'

But, with Conan airing after the news and not before it, at least they avoid the Jay Leno Show at 10pm debacle.

WillyFive

I just saw some news show on TV talking with Leno on the street on the matter. Leno says he hasn't talked with Conan since, but says that his reputation is like vinegar and everybody will forget about it soon after the reporter asked him if he thinks his reputation was damaged.

They also had a shot of Conan and his wife driving to some beach house, Conan ducked to stay away from the cameras.

numble

Willy105 said:
I just saw some news show on TV talking with Leno on the street on the matter. Leno says he hasn't talked with Conan since, but says that his reputation is like vinegar and everybody will forget about it soon after the reporter asked him if he thinks his reputation was damaged.

They also had a shot of Conan and his wife driving to some beach house, Conan ducked to stay away from the cameras.
Quality journalism.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
See You Next Wednesday said:
I fear for coco. I truly do.
cocoooooooooooo.

He's got the upper hand here. I guarantee he'll have some clauses limiting when and why he can be cancelled. I'm pretty sure he'll also have a clause about keeping the show on at a certain time. :p

Ceres

Banned
See You Next Wednesday said:
I fear for coco. I truly do.
cocoooooooooooo.

Chevy Chase is horrible on the fly and Joan Rivers talking makes me want to rip out my eardrums so there's pretty little comparison to make for repeating history. Arsenio Hall launched his show off of what was Rivers' show and Fox missed out on their best chance at that point in time to launch a fairly successful show.

czartim said:
I'd rather him not go to FOX. HBO/Showtime would be awesome. Or The Late Show.

Fox is so... blah.

I'm much more excited for his Fox debut over his run at the Tonight Show. They will give him a great foundation.

Ceres said:
Chevy Chase is horrible on the fly and Joan Rivers talking makes me want to rip out my eardrums so there's pretty little comparison to make for repeating history. Arsenio Hall launched his show off of what was Rivers' show and Fox missed out on their best chance at that point in time to launch a fairly successful show.

You're forgetting The Magic Johnson Hour. Fox is where late night shows go to die.

/sarcasm

Actually, this will be Fox's first legitimate chance to break into late night in years.

NeoForte

Like I said a few pages ago, the Maimi-Dade Fox affiliate, WSVN 7, most likely won't sign on boared for a 11pm Conan. They Show a 30min repeat segemnt of the news at 11 then Deco Drive at 11:30, a popular south florida show similar to Access Hollywood and the like...

woodchuck

NeoForte said:
Like I said a few pages ago, the Maimi-Dade Fox affiliate, WSVN 7, most likely won't sign on boared for a 11pm Conan. They Show a 30min repeat segemnt of the news at 11 then Deco Drive at 11:30, a popular south florida show similar to Access Hollywood and the like...

they could always move around the schedule. Fuck the repeat of the news. Put Deco Drive at 11pm then Conan at 11:30. It may not be ideal, but it's better than nothing.

woodchuck

nah. in Dallas on Fox, we have news from 9pm - 10pm. then more news from 10 to 10:30. the 10pm news is live, but who the fuck needs an hour and a half of news.

NeoForte

NEWS! From 5am-9am, then again 12-1pm, and then again 4-7pm. Finally from 10-11:30pm (repeat of this at 1am).

WTF! And deco drive has 2 showings, at 7pm and at 11:30pm.

This annoys me to no end.

Awesome news about Fox approaching Conan already and that they're not just sitting around. Hopefully they figure out a smart way to get the affiliates to finally give up their proftable yet stale as death line up of sitcom reruns so CoCo can usher in a new era of Late Night ownage. And as said before, nobody promotes their network lineup better than Fox (these days anyways). Sure, the show pop ups can be kind of annoying but at least it's a sign of, golly, TV execs actually trying to make sure as many people as possible are aware of their content!

Trurl

Banned
czartim said:
I'd rather him not go to FOX. HBO/Showtime would be awesome. Or The Late Show.

Fox is so... blah.
I don't want Conan to go to a premium channel. As long as they're able to keep the affiliates happy, FOX should be fine.

I mean, it's not like the show is going to be Man VS. Animal with Conan O'Brien.

Sure, the show pop ups can be kind of annoying but at least it's a sign of, golly, TV execs actually trying to make the audience aware of their content on a regular basis!
Shit, I forgot that FOX does that. Screw FOX!

Trurl said:
I don't want Conan to go to a premium channel. As long as they're able to keep the affiliates happy, FOX should be fine.

I mean, it's not like the show is going to be Man VS. Animal with Conan O'Brien.

Shit, I forgot that FOX does that. Screw FOX!
That would still be great TV. What man would Conan be fighting?

Trurl said:

I dunno man, being able to do an adult show on HBO/SHO would be awesome. Stuff like Bill Maher kills and they leave him alone and he isn't under the same kind of ratings pressure that you are on an OTA network. I'd subscribe to a pay channel for Conan.

fireside

jenov4 said:
Does anyone know if Jordan Schlansky is really like that? Or is he just acting? I've always wondered..
I'm pretty sure it's mostly an act. You can see him start to laugh a couple of times in the segments before they cut to him with a straight face.

NeoForte said:
NEWS! From 5am-9am, then again 12-1pm, and then again 4-7pm. Finally from 10-11:30pm (repeat of this at 1am).

WTF! And deco drive has 2 showings, at 7pm and at 11:30pm.

This annoys me to no end.

I am almost afraid WSVN won't go for Conan cause of all the damn news they put on.

If he were to go to hbo or showtime it would most likely be a weekly show. Im not sure either are up for a daily show. And i think if he did that it would be until lettermans job opens up. If he goes to fox they said he would be at the timeslot they want for about 70% of their stations. But overtime as long as conan does well more will come over

6a00d83451c45669e20128770c2113970c-500wi

Owen

I'd like to see him go to HBO and get free rein to do whatever he wants. Either a nightly or weekly show, though it might be better if it were weekly. Put the episodes up on iTunes the day after for a reasonable price. Hell, maybe even work out a deal with Hulu.

Ceres

Banned
NeoForte said:

Mine shows its 30 min news from 10-11:30 (2 repeats) and then airs TMZ (ugh).

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Owen said:
I'd like to see him go to HBO and get free rein to do whatever he wants. Either a nightly or weekly show, though it might be better if it were weekly. Put the episodes up on iTunes the day after for a reasonable price. Hell, maybe even work out a deal with Hulu.
i'm going to be subscribing for a song of ice and fire anyway... assuming it gets a deal..

but i don't see why he'd choose something even less people have than cable over something he's been working with his whole life.

Tobor

BrandNew said:
These ideas sound awful. Fox or bust.

Yeah, anything other than broadcast is a demotion. And anti-cynicism or no, Conan will want to stick it to NBC. An HBO show let's NBC off the hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom