• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the Crappy: KOTOR 1&2

I loved me some Kotor. It was one of the major reasons I bought an Xbox, and it was probably the best Star Wars game ever released at that time. It might still be.

While I haven't played it in years, I imagine its definitely showing it's age by now. So saying it's an unimpressive game now means exactly shit.

etiolate

Banned
KOTOR was a big letdown for me. It's mostly had to due with a predictable story, bad combat and an uneven difficulty curve.

The combat is one of the worst offenders. It's this weird compromise that just doesn't feel good to play. Disconnected is an apt word to use. It can have flashy moments, but you don't feel connected enough to feel in control and yet not far back enough to feel like a top-down turn-based strategy type. I believe it was modified or owed lineage to the combat in Nevernwinter, but NWN was obvious in what it was doing and how automated it was between turns, and thus worked far better than KOTOR's combat.

KOTOR is a masterpiece and they got what they deserved by abandoning the franchise in favor of Mass Effect.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... I wouldn't say that at all. Mass Effect was mostly brilliant, and it was Bioware's chance at a sci-fi epic that they had full creative control over, and that's what they really didn't have with the Star Wars license. They didn't have to run things by Lucasfilm first.

B-Dex

The beginning of KOTOR is abysmal. Especially after going through it more than once. But overall it is a great game.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... I wouldn't say that at all. Mass Effect was mostly brilliant, and it was Bioware's chance at a sci-fi epic that they had full creative control over, and that's what they really didn't have with the Star Wars license. They didn't have to run things by Lucasfilm first.

Mass Effect Deception and Mass Effect 3 killed that franchise pretty damn quick

Possibly due to the Restoration Project. There was a lot of cut material that was re-instated. Some of these areas were cut for a reason.

Not really, I've only been to Telos, Korriban and Nar Shadaa so far, and the single redeeming portion of all those segments has been
the Sith tomb
. I'm not even going to touch the cut areas, I'm mainly interested in the restored proper ending.

Alastor

Just bought both games thanks to this thread. Mods for the 2nd one are already waiting on my HDD. I've always wanted to try them, but I kinda forgot about them because they were pretty hard to find here (I'm talking about boxed PC copies). Thankfully, they have been re-released recently as a dual pack, good price too.

If there's anything I've learned after years on GAF, it's that if the game's reception is very bipolar, there's a big chance I'll love it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you use windows 7 make sure to get the fix so it doesn't keep minimizing.

Top Bottom