• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest iPhone 8 rumor says Apple cracked the code & got the fingerprint in the screen

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Surely they would just put the fingerprint reader on the back rather than loose Touch ID. Back fingerprint reader works great on the Pixel. Let's you have a big screen without any downsides.

Blackhead

Redarse
Surely they would just put the fingerprint reader on the back rather than loose Touch ID. Back fingerprint reader works great on the Pixel. Let's you have a big screen without any downsides.
... Can't believe nobody has made a Courage joke yet.

losing the ability to unlock your phone with a simple touch isn't a downside?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Mr.Shrugglesツ;242849799 said:
Yesterday I learnt that people find fingerprint sensors on phone agonizingly slow.

Have there been any leaks as to colors for ip8?

Not in the mass production phase yet I think,

Which is why all the rumours are all over the place.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like the (rumoured) aspect ratio change...
The usable screen area (and likely what is accessible to apps) will still be 16x9. "It just works"...

The rest is virtual home button, reception/ battery indicators and swipe areas for notifications and control center.

Erebus

http://bgr.com/2017/07/20/iphone-8-release-date-soon-leaks-touch-id-scoop/

At this point, there have been four different theories that have emerged based on rumors. These rumors originate from sources with track records that range from terrible to solid, but let’s take a look at all four lines of thought.

1. A new optical Touch ID fingerprint sensor embedded in the iPhone 8’s display.
  2. Apple’s current-generation Touch ID scanner will be placed on the back of the iPhone 8 beneath the Apple logo.
  3. No Touch ID sensor will be present on the new iPhone. Instead, Apple will use facial recognition in its place.
  4. A new Touch ID scanner will be integrated into the power button on the side of the phone.

I have now received information from three different well-placed sources over the past few weeks, and they have all told me the same thing: The iPhone 8’s Touch ID fingerprint sensor is in the power button.

The news first came to me about a month ago from a source I know well. I’ve since been told the same thing by two additional sources I haven’t known for quite as long. All three sources have provided information to me in the past that has proven to be accurate.

I don't how accurate this is, but looks like Apple is still having trouble putting the touchid sensor under the screen.

Rogan

Banned
Mr.Shrugglesツ;242849799 said:
Yesterday I learnt that people find fingerprint sensors on phone agonizingly slow.
No problems with my Nexus 6P. It feels slow after a while, but agonizingly slow? That's just the excuse for a new phone :p

Maedre

Banned
I am one of those people who had problems with the fingerprint sensors. The nexus 6p was fine, but my 6S and now 7 were a pain in the ass. BUT it works perfect since iOS 11 beta.

Pagusas

Elden Member
http://bgr.com/2017/07/20/iphone-8-release-date-soon-leaks-touch-id-scoop/

I don't how accurate this is, but looks like Apple is still having trouble putting the touchid sensor under the screen.

Power button would be a more than acceptable compromise. I dont understand why its not already a thing honestly. Could still unlock the phone when its sitting faceup on a desk. Could still one hand unlock the phone with eas.

Hell I think I PREFER a power button touch ID compared to a front scanning ID. And way more than a back ID.

Power button would be a more than acceptable compromise. I dont understand why its not already a thing honestly. Could still unlock the phone when its sitting faceup on a desk. Could still one hand unlock the phone with eas.

Hell I think I PREFER a power button touch ID compared to a front scanning ID. And way more than a back ID.
The power button is not thick enough.

This phone better be worth it.
The entire right 1/3 of my current phone's screen is broken, only shows black.
I'm making it work until this releases.

Futureman

Power button sounds weird/awkward. Pretty sure Android phones have done that... how was that received? Apple would probably do it better but still.

at this point, it's getting kinda ridiculous. Like there's a new rumor every other day. Who gives a shat, let's just wait and see what they reveal.

Vyer

Power button is the worst of all possibilities. Nothing natural about holding that position when raising your phone to pay.

LordOfChaos

If all this fuss is because they didn't want to remove the Apple logo from that area, I swear to Jonny...

Having it below that would be dumb. Your index finger hits where the apple logo is naturally.

subrock

If all this fuss is because they didn't want to remove the Apple logo from that area, I swear to Jonny...

Having it below that would be dumb. Your index finger hits where the apple logo is naturally.
I just put my finger on the logo on a 6s plus and it’s a stretch. I have fairly giant hands.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Needs to be on the front so when my phone is laying in front of me at my desk I can just give it a touch.

Back is the worst, and power button would be mildly annoying.

Oxn

Assuming this is all true, and they wont have touch id on the screen or atleast the front of the phone.

I will hope my iPhone 6 plus be able to last 4 years, or hope the rumor of a SE2 coming in august.

Vuze

Do a lot of people use TouchID?
Even my mom and dad do (because it is prompted to add atleast one finger when setting up the iPhone/iPad), I don't know anyone who doesn't use fingerprint as the primary method of unlocking their phone.

psyfi

Banned
Phones having finger print scanning still freaks me the hell out. The surveillance capabilities of smartphones are already immense enough, do we really need something so personal and invasive being constantly documented? I'm good.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Do a lot of people use TouchID?

Everybody I know with an iPhone uses it.
It's so damned fast, easy, and reliable.

My employer required a pin lock to safeguard proprietary info so having fingerprint makes things a lot smoother.

TimFL

Not sure if I'll get this without a front facing TouchID sensor. No fan of the back ones or the power button rumors (although it makes sense).

I guess one day in the future they have the whole screen function as Touch-ID and make it invisible to the user (like 3D Touch a notification on the lock screen and have it automatically authenticate you).

Top Bottom