• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest iPhone 8 rumor says Apple cracked the code & got the fingerprint in the screen

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Rumours are there's a persistent area on the bottom where a virtual home button will reside.

Ugh. Wouldn't that be like android soft keys?

How does that match with

Because people want as much screen in as small a form factor as practicable? it's not hard to see why this is the direction things are going.

This? If you have a persistent system area then you aren't really getting more screen.

Acidote

This? If you have a persistent system area then you aren't really getting more screen.

Because that "persistent" area isn't really persistent. It's hidden while you're doing full screen stuff and only appears, in my case, when I slide the finger from the border into the screen. It ends up being more screen when it matters.

jts

...hate me...
It's insane when I put my iPhone 3GS perpendicular to my 6s+ and realise the 3GS's display height is basically the 6s+'s display width.

From that, you can imagine how TINY a 3.5" bezel-less iPhone would be. Basically like a credit card.

I'd be down for a 4" bezel-less iPhone, provided decent battery life.

Ambient80

Samsung passed because it wasn't reliable, not because it wasn't secure.

But, uh, your expectations are a wild departure from reality anyway.

Ming Chi Kuo has been correct about Apple hardware more often than not. He's got very good sources. Probably the most reliable when it comes to Apple hardware rumours.

He has been saying no Touch ID for a long time as well, but most people assumed "Well maybe not the current Touch ID, but surely Apple will have a replacement fingerprint recognition tech."

Right, but he has also been incorrect as well. There’s a chance the people he speaks with are simply getting a visual look at the device and saying there’s no TouchID because they can’t see it since it’s under the glass. The way rumors have been changing every few weeks it’s really silly for some folks to get worked up because in reality, we have no idea what they’re going to do. At least, not until true production starts (probably late this month or early next).

Edit: I’m not saying he’s definitely wrong, by the way. Just that there’s a real possibility, particularly with how volatile the rumors have been. I’m waiting until I see real components being leaked. If they DO get rid of TouchID, then I expect whatever tech they use will be just as reliable. I can’t see them replacing it with some half-assed face recognition tech like the S8.

Also interesting to think about, if they bring this tech in and get rid of TouchID, will this make it easier for police to get into a phone?
Yes I know that sounds paranoid lol.

Not a fan of removing TouchID altogether. It doesn't even make any sense either; how will you use Apple Pay? Considering its USP is entrenched in TouchID?

kaskade

Seems like every week there's a new rumor about whether it's in the screen or not.

Really curious to see what they end up doing though, I would think Apple wouldn't put in a sensor that is worse/slower than the one they have now. It'd definitely be an interesting move for them to go from really pushing touchID to completely switching to a 3d recognition, unless they do a combo of both.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Not a fan of removing TouchID altogether. It doesn't even make any sense either; how will you use Apple Pay? Considering its USP is entrenched in TouchID?

"At Apple we are always innovating, so when we were looking at TouchID, we said 'hey what if you didn't need to touch the device at all?' and that's how we invented a totally new technology that's never been seen before in any phone, welcome to iFace *spends 15 minutes trying to unlock the phone with his face live on stage*"

Lucifon

Seems like every week there's a new rumor about whether it's in the screen or not.

Really curious to see what they end up doing though, I would think Apple wouldn't put in a sensor that is worse/slower than the one they have now. It'd definitely be an interesting move for them to go from really pushing touchID to completely switching to a 3d recognition, unless they do a combo of both.

Basically you have a bunch of hopeful rumours then as the release date gets close the rumours become more and more the true reality of the product until you have a perfect picture of the phone before it's been actually revealed. Then restart the cycle again next year.

Servbot24

Banned
In fact, Kuo goes further and say that there will be no fingerprint recognition capability on the iPhone 8 of any kind; it seems like Apple is removing Touch ID entirely in favour of facial recognition

This would really suck. I don't want to hold my phone up to my face every time I feel like checking a notification.

I would eat my shorts if Apple removed Touch ID altogether. No way Apple removes one of their killer features just because an alternative solution is now supposedly built-in. I can see the Windows Hello type solution working for Apple but that will have to include Touch ID and not just IRIS scanning.

If they remove it, you know it, or some other solution will be back in the next version, and we'll all be stuck with our "Gen 1" iPhone 8's.

I'm more disappointed in the rumor that RAM wasn't bumped up again, especially in the 4.7" model.

I want my phone to be my computer, and for that to happen, we need a modern amount of RAM and a shift in memory management.

This would really suck. I don't want to hold my phone up to my face every time I feel like checking a notification.

The rumors do mention that it's designed to work while flat on a desk so hopefully that won't be an issue. I'd be pretty sad to lose TouchID but let's see what they've got with this facial scanning I guess.

Two Words

If they remove it, you know it, or some other solution will be back in the next version, and we'll all be stuck with our "Gen 1" iPhone 8's.

I'm more disappointed in the rumor that RAM wasn't bumped up again, especially in the 4.7" model.

I want my phone to be my computer, and for that to happen, we need a modern amount of RAM and a shift in memory management.

UUUUUGH. I'm suffering through this 6+ and I would really like my next iPhone to have an upgrade in RAM. I know it is higher than the 6+ already, but I mean for the sake of making it future proof.

Guess Who

Banned
UUUUUGH. I'm suffering through this 6+ and I would really like my next iPhone to have an upgrade in RAM. I know it is higher than the 6+ already, but I mean for the sake of making it future proof.

The 7+ has 3GB (3x your 6+) and nothing comes close to testing it. It's fine.

subrock

I would eat my shorts if Apple removed Touch ID altogether. No way Apple removes one of their killer features just because an alternative solution is now supposedly built-in. I can see the Windows Hello type solution working for Apple but that will have to include Touch ID and not just IRIS scanning.

only way I could see them removing Touch ID is if there was some showstopper wrt an edge to edge display. That being said, you'd likely be spending equal amounts or R&D getting either one working, so why not go with what all of your software is built for. Sounds like the touch sensor integrated into the display is a solved problem so swapping at this point seems dubious.

DOWN

Banned
I don’t believe Apple would get rid of Touch ID. It fucks up much of the benefit of Apple Pay.

How can I hold out my phone in the drive thru and also aim the camera at me? That’s hard in a lot of NFC scenarios

riotous

Banned
My hope is that eventually the norm will be to have the sensor at the bottom of the screen, as well as the back of the device (a bit from the top.) Not sure how expensive that is, but it would be the most convenient.

jts

...hate me...
When Apple replaces the Lightning lightning port, it will be to replace it with nothing. Apple will probably make the iPhone fully wireless by the end of 2020.

By 2020 the iPhone can have a tier of 512GB or even 1TB of memory. Any device that can potentially handle that amount of data will still need a cabled data option by then.

Also I don't seem them ditching fast charging that they are just now introducing on iOS.

Make that 2030.

toohectic

I don’t believe Apple would get rid of Touch ID. It fucks up much of the benefit of Apple Pay.

How can I hold out my phone in the drive thru and also aim the camera at me? That’s hard in a lot of NFC scenarios

With Touch ID, there is an option to authenticate before you hold it to the POS terminal. (Done by double clicking the home button on the lock screen.) You could potentially do the same by pre-authenticating your face before placing your phone above the terminal. Not as convenient, but would solve the issue. I would imagine Apple would come up with something more graceful though.

Blackhead

Redarse
With Touch ID, there is an option to authenticate before you hold it to the POS terminal. (Done by double clicking the home button on the lock screen.) You could potentially do the same by pre-authenticating your face before placing your phone above the terminal. Not as convenient, but would solve the issue. I would imagine Apple would come up with something more graceful though.
Tim Cook says buy an Apple Watch

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Right, but he has also been incorrect as well. There’s a chance the people he speaks with are simply getting a visual look at the device and saying there’s no TouchID because they can’t see it since it’s under the glass.
Nah. I thought (hoped) so too, but his reasoning was posted on Macrumors yesterday, and it's very well reasoned and technical:

"We predict the OLED model won’t support fingerprint recognition, reasons being: (1) the full-screen design doesn’t work with existing capacitive fingerprint recognition, and (2) the scan-through ability of the under-display fingerprint solution still has technical challenges, including: (i) requirement for a more complex panel pixel design; (ii) disappointing scan-through of OLED panel despite it being thinner than LCD panel; and (iii) weakened scan-through performance due to overlayered panel module. As the new OLED iPhone won’t support under-display fingerprint recognition, we now do not expect production ramp-up will be delayed again (we previously projected the ramp-up would be postponed to late October or later)"

Uh what? So he is only basing his theory on the display scanning tech not being ready? Is he aware that there are other ways to integrate a fingerprint scanner into the phone? For example into the power button or the side of the phone?

hirokazu

I don't believe Apple would get rid of Touch ID. It fucks up much of the benefit of Apple Pay.

How can I hold out my phone in the drive thru and also aim the camera at me? That's hard in a lot of NFC scenarios

You could authenticate prior to tapping just like you can currently do with Touch ID. That's what I do because Touch ID fails a lot when my hands are sweaty and I don't want to look like an idiot trying to authenticate while the cashier waits. >_>

That said, it is a pretty terrible compromise so I wonder how they'll solve this if Touch ID is cut.

keuja

TouchID is probably gone. On the other hand, I expect the Face recognition feature to be super fast and almost flawless. Wherever you required TouchID before, you will be able to use that face recognition feature. Its a bummer for sure but the iPhone 8 will still break sales record, that bezel less design is terrific...

Let's hope this works about 50x better than the current Touch ID, which is almost unusable.

Only time I have issues with TouchID is when I have done dishes or something and just washed my hands. About five minutes later everything is fine.

Outside of that, it works damn near perfectly. Of course, I have also put in multiple fingers at multiple angles for the sensor to find.

Blackhead

Redarse
TouchID is probably gone. On the other hand, I expect the Face recognition feature to be super fast and almost flawless. Wherever you required TouchID before, you will be able to use that face recognition feature. Its a bummer for sure but the iPhone 8 will still break sales record, that bezel less design is terrific...
It won't

Ambient80

I’d be shocked if it doesn’t. New design after three years of the same. Newer fancier technology if the 3D face scanning is true, plus the rumored wireless charging. This thing is gonna sell bonkers amounts of units barring any manufacturing issues.

...Touch ID is 99.9% perfect. Either your unit is busted or your fingers are all sorts of jacked up.

Which is what makes me so ambivalent about this news. Removing it would be insanity, but it works SO WELL now, like perfectly, any slight downgrade would be so noticeable. They're painted into a corner.

keuja

Have to agree, because it's going to be both more expensive than any iPhone yet and may be supply constrained for months.

iPhone 7S/7S Plus/8 combined sales will still be massive though.

It's just speculation but when it comes to Apple I don't think a higher price will deter people from getting the fancy new bezel less OLED model. The design is visually striking enough that when it releases, it will THE phone to have, TouchID or not.

erawsd

Have to agree, because it's going to be both more expensive than any iPhone yet and may be supply constrained for months.

iPhone 7S/7S Plus/8 combined sales will still be massive though.

I'd be willing to bet that most people use monthly subsidized plans anyway, so even if its $1000, the price would only go up a few bucks on their plan.

riotous

Banned
I'd be willing to bet that most people use monthly subsidized plans anyway, so even if its $1000, the price would only go up a few bucks on their plan.

Monthly payment plans are rarely if ever subsidized these days.

I do agree that for some it might not matter, but the down payment will be much higher especially for people with not stellar credit.

erawsd

Monthly payment plans are rarely if ever subsidized these days.

I do agree that for some it might not matter, but the down payment will be much higher especially for people with not stellar credit.

True enough, I forget that downpayments are even a thing since I've never had to pay one.

Top Bottom