• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest iPhone 8 rumor says Apple cracked the code & got the fingerprint in the screen

ZOONAMI

I'm sure Apple knows what percentage of cracked screens is out there and is happy to force those users to pay $119 to have the screen replaced at an Apple Store. Seems like a good way to corral an untapped source of revenue. Oh did you want to use your phone with a cracked screen? Well it won't unlock now. $119 please (it'll probably go up to $219).

I'm only half kidding.

Seriously I don't understand all the people with cracked screens. It's like really? Can't you get that fixed or even just buy a Moto g5 or something to not have a cracked screen?

I prefer the sensor on the back honestly, but if that's something they feel is iconic to the experience, kudos to the accomplishment I suppose. Hopefully the r&d proves beneficial beyond that, otherwise it's an additional over engineered solution to an almost non issue.

LeleSocho

Banned
Why is that?

On the phone i want screens that adhere to the standard of the vast majority of videos, i really don't mind the upper and lower bezels... you might even say that i prefer them and also i don't want OLEDs because they have an amount of problems that lcd don't have (in case someone is thinking about arguing on this last point don't even try, i have proofs of what i said and i'm sick and tired of discussing about this)

Expect these to be limited quantities folks. These displays are hard to create and Samsung has their note line coming with this tech. After all they are the panel maker.

The regular phone should have the finger reader built into the power button and will feature the same tear drop screen.

javac

1) anywhere on the front is better than anywhere on the back.
2) the bottom is the best spot.

I find it easier to move my index finger to the middle of the rear than to move my thumb to the bottom of a huge phone while holding it with one hand, but my hands and fingers might just be fucked up. In any case the entirety of the screen is better than both.

This latest report from Economic Daily News suggests that the most elegant solution is what Apple is going with. With a virtual home button drawn on the display, users would simply place their fingers on the screen and the optical scanner would authenticate the fingerprint.

giphy.gif

Finally!, Samsung should have done this with the S8 and I hope going forward this'll be the norm, I'm not an iOS user but I will wholeheartedly applaud Apple if they get this to work.

Red

I hate the look of the S8. looks wierd with such a tall, thin screen. I'd almost rather they kept the same size screen and cropped the top/bottom.
I thought it looked strange the first time I saw it, but was intrigued by the reason behind the change. When I heard the explanation, I agreed the advantages were compelling, and I think it is the right way to move forward with phone design.

Finally!, Samsung should have done this with the S8 and I hope going forward this'll be the norm, I'm not an iOS user but I will wholeheartedly applaud Apple if they get this to work.

The S8 was supposed to have this as its big feature but engineering issues have plagued both Sammy and Apple. The production of these panels is apparently a god damn nightmare. Software is helping in solving some of the issues.

sirap

Really hope these rumors pan out. A taller, OLED display + removing those crazy chin bezels would go a long way in making iPhone's fresh again. iOS is iOS...it's never gonna change so I really hope Apple takes chances with their hardware.

jts

...hate me...
On the phone i want screens that adhere to the standard of the vast majority of videos, i really don't mind the upper and lower bezels... you might even say that i prefer them and also i don't want OLEDs because they have an amount of problems that lcd don't have (in case someone is thinking about arguing on this last point don't even try, i have proofs of what i said and i'm sick and tired of discussing about this)
Letterboxing doesn't bite or anything and although it's nice to watch videos on a phone, it's not its primary function. I mean look at the iPad, it's an even nicer display to watch videos on, and letterboxing is pretty much always present. Also, OLED helps with it, dem darker blacks and everything :)

Don't think they will do any sort of major user-facing reengineering for the 7S though, as per usual with the S models.

ERotIC

Banned
Why is that such a big deal?

I mean, it's cool tech, but it changes nothing in terms of QoL.

Yeah, am I missing something? I've personally never felt encumbered by the strain of typing in a pin. I don't even have to look at the phone, it's muscle memory at this point.

bionic77

How will you know where the button is?

Via haptic?

I don't know if that will be as easy to use as the actual button.

I figure Apple knows what they are doing though and doesn't want to scare away old people and kids who intuitively know how to use the hardware and software.

Mik2121

Yeah, am I missing something? I've personally never felt encumbered by the strain of typing in a pin. I don't even have to look at the phone, it's muscle memory at this point.
I haven't typed a password to unlock my phone for quite a while, except after reset (you need to type it once). For me at least, using the fingerprint is so much faster since all you need to do is press the Home button and it checks the fingerprint while you do it.
How will you know where the button is?

Via haptic?

I don't know if that will be as easy to use as the actual button.

I figure Apple knows what they are doing though and doesn't want to scare away old people and kids who intuitively know how to use the hardware and software.
I don't think Apple is worried about scaring kids away with new tech. I don't think kids gets as worked up about this kind of stuff.

ERotIC

Banned
I haven't typed a password to unlock my phone for quite a while, except after reset (you need to type it once). For me at least, using the fingerprint is so much faster since all you need to do is press the Home button and it checks the fingerprint while you do it.

I don't think Apple is worried about scaring kids away with new tech. I don't think kids gets as worked up about this kind of stuff.

I didn't realize it senses the print just via home screen tap. That's groovy.

Rootbeer

Banned
The dream is dead. I've been skeptical all along, so not shocked. Tech seems too future for today's mainstream devices. Hopefully in another 1 or 2 years though.

But no fingerprint sensor AT ALL? I just don't know how that would work. I love using Apple Pay and unlocking my phone with my fingerprint.

Somnid

The rumor states that they may go in heavier with facial recognition as a replacement as it seems they were planning a depth sensing camera anyway. I have my doubts about that though versus fingerprint.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Shoving it on the back is more believable than none at all. Facial scanning doesn't seem a very practical alternative.

Under the screen or bust.

Silly rumour. I would be stunned if this was true. Apple never in their right minds would not have touch ID and then a year later re-intoroduce it.

This rumour lacks all common sense. Either they are done with touch ID forever (apple pay says not), or the prediction is bullshit. Or they have something better than touch Id but that would NOT be anything related to facial recognition.

bionic77

For people like me and you I think we are cool in learning new ways to use tech, especially when it gives you an added benefit of something like a bigger screen.

But there are A LOT of old ass people who continue to use the iPhone because of how easy it is to use.

A physical home button has been there since the start. You can find it without even looking at the phone and pretty much everyone on the planet knows how it works. I trust Apple has thought of this and that makes me really interested in seeing it demonstrated and how they addressed or solved that problem.

Otherwise people like my dad are going to be fucking pissed and he is someone who buys only Apple shit. I see the same in all of his friends too.

antispin

Anywhere on the screen? The wording makes it sound like it'd be virtual button only. I'd like the whole screen tbh; would be interesting to see if the screen would look different in that one area. Anyway, gg Apple!

In fact, Kuo goes further and say that there will be no fingerprint recognition capability on the iPhone 8 of any kind; it seems like Apple is removing Touch ID entirely in favour of facial recognition

giphy.gif

There'll probably be another article next week saying the exact opposite.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
In fact, Kuo goes further and say that there will be no fingerprint recognition capability on the iPhone 8 of any kind; it seems like Apple is removing Touch ID entirely in favour of facial recognition
giphy.gif

There'll probably be another article next week saying the exact opposite.

*Florida man stares at his iPhone and racks up $25,000 iTunes bill from in-app purchases*

lol this feels like the first iPhone in a while where we don't really know for sure what's coming

They will never remove touch id. This sounds insane.

If they don't crack the code they'll just move to the back. Hopefully. No bezels is the future.

I guess worst case scenario is maybe face recognition for unlocking and Touch ID for everything else?

Wait so they're getting rid of the home button?

Seems kinda risky to me. What if the fingerprint scanner doesn't work right, and you're indefinitely locked out of your phone?

Seems kinda risky to me. What if the fingerprint scanner doesn't work right, and you're indefinitely locked out of your phone?

Then put in the alphanumeric code like on the current ones when the TouchID doesn't work.

And they won't get rid of TouchID on this. They just added it to their laptops, they aren't going to suddenly remove it from their flagship product.

Forgive my ignorance by why is this something to get really excited about? I have an iPhone 7+, not sure why having a fingerprint scanner in the screen would benefit me over just using the home button.

RoKKeR

Would be a bit weird if they ditched TouchID altogether...

So interested to see this phone. Not interested in being tempted to go back to iOS but... we'll see.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ditching Touch ID altogether doesn't make sense in the current infrastructure.
"Show your face to the phone next to the NFC reader to buy something with Apple Pay." sounds great, especially for tall people.

Albino_Yeti said:

On the current iPhone the home button isn't a real button either, but it's smart enough that if it stops working a software button automatically appears.

Top Bottom