• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest view of Jupiter from NASA’s Juno spacecraft

VegiHam

Right hang on, when I was a kid in all the books Jupiter was definitely coloured in yellow and orange. Now it turns out it's blue and brown? Fucking scientists are liars man.

Why can't we moon photos of that quality?

amateurs on earth make photos like this

Station_Moon_transit.jpg
and lunar orbiters make these kind of photos

Leyasu

Banned
Do they really expect us to believe that the footage is real? It's "gaseous" surface isn't moving...at all

Edit:

Looks like someone is starting to ask the right questions...

Lol. It's like nasa and every other agency use WW2 surplus cameras for moon work.. fucking clementine photos.

amateurs on earth make photos like this

and lunar orbiters make these kind of photos

Amateur photo better than anything official that I have seen

Assuming you're asking about HD photos of the moon I just did a quick Google search and found this one: http://i.imgur.com/oQFdZdS.jpg

I think there's likely plenty out there they just don't get as much attention since the moon isn't as much of a mystery compared to other things out in space.

Moon photos are a joke period. I will check your link later because it won't open on my phone. I can't agree with mystery part eithet

YuShtink

Absolutely breathtaking. I actually teared up. Seeing it so vividly like that is a true gift. A dream come to life. Thank you NASA.

Chuckie

Lol. It's like nasa and every other agency use WW2 surplus cameras for moon work.. fucking clementine photos.

They even have pretty hi res pictures of people walking on the damn thing.

apollo_11_moon_landing-1280x768.jpg

Moon photos are a joke period. I will check your link later because it won't open on my phone. I can't agree with mystery part eithet

if you could open it, you would see it is a hi-res pic of the moon.

You might not agree with the mystery part, but I think NASA does agree with the member you quoted. Why would NASA spend loads of money on the moon? What is there to discover more about it?

What does "enhanced color" mean when talking about photos like this? Are they taken in these colors and just cleaned up a bit, or are the colors added to them?

Leyasu

Banned
They even have pretty hi res pictures of people walking on the damn thing.

if you could open it, you would see it is a hi-res pic of the moon.

You might not agree with the mystery part, but I think NASA does agree with the member you quoted. Why would NASA spend loads of money on the moon? What is there to discover more about it?

People walking about on a washed out colourless landscape with a sky devoid of stars. Plus, for an object devoid of an atmosphere where clarity shouldn't be a problem. You can zoom in better on Google earth to my dad's back for example, than you can on any lunar orbiter photo... plus they are taken at lower altitude than Google earth photos.

I'm sure that there's plenty left to discover.t. That is why they are still sending probes and orbiters no?

Osahi

People walking about on a washed out colourless landscape with a sky devoid of stars. Plus, for an object devoid of an atmosphere where clarity shouldn't be a problem. You can zoom in better on Google earth to my dad's back for example, than you can on any lunar orbiter photo... plus they are taken at lower altitude than Google earth photos.

I'm sure that there's plenty left to discover.t. That is why they are still sending probes and orbiters no?

Do you see stars at daylight? It's because the moon doesn't have an atmosphere the sky is black, even when it is day.

And it's pretty logical we have better satelite pictures of earth then we have of the moon surface. There are more (and more recent) satelites up there, and there are more practical reasons to take high res footage of it.

Leyasu

Banned
Do you see stars at daylight? It's because the moon doesn't have an atmosphere the sky is black, even when it is day.

And it's pretty logical we have better satelite pictures of earth then we have of the moon surface. There are more (and more recent) satelites up there, and there are more practical reasons to take high res footage of it.

The sky wouldn't be black because of a lack of atmosphere though. It would be crystal clear. So you that they are spending millions on probes, yet equipping them with poor cameras?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm crying. We're not worthy.

Chuckie

The surface of the moon is washed out and colorless

And this is why you don't see stars.

Also that picture was made in 1969, back then that was hi res.

Osahi

The sky wouldn't be black because of a lack of atmosphere though. It would be crystal clear. So you that they are spending millions on probes, yet equipping them with poor cameras?

I thought you ment that the sky is black on the pictures of astronauts walking on the surface. Where it is crystal clear and black, as there are no molecules refracting the light, so you see the black of space. Probes don't have cloud coverage to hamper their view, that is correct. But then it's still up to the resolution, speed of passing by, etc to account for the sharpness of the pics

I am pretty sure that when NASA launches moon probes, they equip them with the best camera's they have at the time. I'm just not very familiar with recent moon missions and when the latest one was.

A quick google gives you plenty of high res images of the moon. NASA even has a page where you can see the landers! Offcourse it's not as sharp as the best Google Maps stuff (again, there is more practical use of high res satelite image of earth), but you must realise they are 'zoomed in' quite a lote, and you can still make out the details. (The Juno footage of Jupiter is in comparison way less 'zoomed in')

I don't understand what you want to achieve or what you try to imply? That this Jupiter footage is fake? What purpose would that serve?

Leyasu

Banned
The surface of the moon is washed out and colorless

And this is why you don't see stars.

Also that picture was made in 1969, back then that was hi res.

Sorry. I should have explained myself clearer, I was mainly thinking about orbital shots.

One more thing though, if the surface is washed out and colourless, then how come amateur astronomers have managed to take some beautifully coloured shots? If the moon was this light brown ball, they shouldn't exist right?

Osahi, no I am not implying that the Jupiter shots , I am just curious to see some moon shots where we can zoom right in. Seeing as they are taken of the moon at lower altitudes and with no atmospheric distortion, they should be readily available.

cameron

Do they really expect us to believe that the footage is real? It's "gaseous" surface isn't moving...at all

The video was created using a sequence of images taken by Juno over a few hours. It's hard to appreciate the true scale of Jupiter. The clouds are moving, but not far/fast enough to be noticeable in this short image sequence.
Full Res: https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/13-candy-1-new-fix.jpg

A classic example is Galileo's flyby of Earth (much smaller scale and over a longer period; cloud movement is barely noticeable):
gNijgko.gif

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA00114

What does "enhanced color" mean when talking about photos like this? Are they taken in these colors and just cleaned up a bit, or are the colors added to them?
Colors are processed to view details/variation better. With this type of image processing, you're adding new information. See:

Osahi

Sorry. I should have explained myself clearer, I was mainly thinking about orbital shots.

One more thing though, if the surface is washed out and colourless, then how come amateur astronomers have managed to take some beautifully coloured shots? If the moon was this light brown ball, they shouldn't exist right?

Amateur photographers take their pictures from the surface of the earth, trough earth atmosphere. Ever noticed the moon looks sometimes yellow or red (the latest in case of a eclips)? That doesn't mean the moon surface is. It's the light coming back from it, trough our atmosphere.

Also, you do realise you can actually alter pictures right? You can tinker with the color settings or apply filters to make certain details 'pop'. Pretty sure some amateur pictures use coloring techniques like that. Hell, even NASA uses it constantly.

Do they really expect us to believe that the footage is real? It's "gaseous" surface isn't moving...at all.

I don't have a lot to add to the poster above me, but you can see the gasses move a little in that video of you look closely. Certain cloudstorms thwirl ever so slowly.

Chuckie

I think they might have used lenses or filters that show false colors. By false I mean they 'enhanced' certain color differences in the sand of the moon. While for the human eye it looks all grey, there are certain differences in the colors. You can oversaturate those and get a false color picture.

Here's an article about it.

Nordicus

It does save us from asteroids and comets with its awesome gravity.
This can't be overstated. Jupiter hoovers up asteroids and they gather in front and behind trapped in a perfect mix of gravity from Jupiter and the Sun. Another of those ingredients that have allowed us to exist like our fucking giant moon!
Only applies to long-period comets

Jupiter makes near-earth asteroids hit Earth at triple the rate

Osahi, no I am not implying that the Jupiter shots , I am just curious to see some moon shots where we can zoom right in. Seeing as they are taken of the moon at lower altitudes and with no atmospheric distortion, they should be readily available.
http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/images/gigapan

2 minutes search for a 680 gigapixel image of the North Pole.

soqquatto

come on. but I'd agree that NASA usually aims for useful photos rather than beautiful photos

NASA doesn't shoot far objects in color because taking color digital photographs means decreasing the resolution of your camera. it's more efficient to have a "black and white camera" (all digital cameras are black and white, event your camera phone) and appply different filters (phisical filters on the camera, not photoshop filters on the image) in order to see more than a simple image. any real color is the result of several combined shots (one filtered for red, one filtered for blue, one filtered for greeen) when is not an interpretation (most of the far planets/stars/galaxy are always shoot in BN and recolored basing off some additional data). this is an oversimplification but it's not far from the actual facts.

Tk0n

Is it just me or is it weird that the big white spots are evenly spaced apart. Its like that in the video too, excecpt one lone spot on the left side of the planet.

"aliens.jpg"

i think its due to the magnetic field and/or homogenous surface structure of jupiter (no landmasses)

sometimes you have multiple hurricanes chasing each other on earth too.
620300c1768EDNmain526_igorjuliakarl20100916.jpg

on jupiter you have no landmasses or shallow seabeds breaking up and reroute the storms.

so one storm forms and as soon as the temperature conditions are right, the next one forms and so on. thats why they look so regular.

Chuckie

NASA doesn't shoot far objects in color because taking color digital photographs means decreasing the resolution of your camera. it's more efficient to have a "black and white camera" (all digital cameras are black and white, event your camera phone) and appply different filters (phisical filters on the camera, not photoshop filters on the image) in order to see more than a simple image. any real color is the result of several combined shots (one filtered for red, one filtered for blue, one filtered for greeen) when is not an interpretation (most of the far planets/stars/galaxy are always shoot in BN and recolored basing off some additional data). this is an oversimplification but it's not far from the actual facts.

While this is all true, the photo ClosingADoor was referring too isn't 'recolored' to show the true color of Jupiter as it would be seen by the human eye. It has some false coloring (exaggerated colors) to show certain details beter. I think (I could be wrong) that that was what he meant by 'enhanced'.

Lol my comment is in response to the poster's first sentence in regards to the star Betelgeuse. Sirius is about 8lys from us. If Betelgeuse (which is over 600lys away) was that close, it would be incredibly bright and spectacular during nights on earth. They're expecting that when it does eventually go super nova, it would be a glorious death knell. Imagine if it was only 8lys away when it goes BOOM?! We would probably be fucked.

Haha, ok. With the Jupiter moon question in the thread, I wasn't sure :).

Betelgeuse would make for a spectacular sight if it was closer, yes. But I'd rather extend the lifetime of this planet a bit longer by not placing it at ground zero once that thing goes off in the next million years.

Guy.brush

i think its due to the magnetic field and/or homogenous surface structure of jupiter (no landmasses)

on jupiter you have no landmasses or shallow seabeds breaking up and reroute the storms.

so one storm forms and as soon as the temperature conditions are right, the next one forms and so on. thats why they look so regular.

It is either that or the universe is using UV tiling as well to keep texture resolution down.

Chronoja

I'd say(though happy to be corrected) that it's just a phenomena of fluid dynamics that causes eddies to "self perpetuate"

like this only with the Coriolis effect dictating which way a cyclone can spin.

If you watch watch Earth's own cloud layer and atmosphere you'll see that extratropical cyclones and the like tend to repeat every few thousand miles, though it obviously depends on weather conditions, pressures etc.

Hycran

Banned
Breaker breaker, aliens have fucked over the carbinator, I'm going to try and refuckulate it and land on Juniper to get some space weed.

asa

This one is probably better: http://target.lroc.asu.edu/q3/
You can zoom until 1 meter = 1 pixel

This is amazing! I ended up surfing around on the moon surface for about an hour. Can't believe how detail the map is!

Then I looked instructions from google how to find Apollo 11 landing site, and even though I had seen the LRO images of tha landing site before(I assume this DATA is what this map is using) it makes you appriciate the scale of the moon and the enourmous feat of the moon landing even more when you actually see the little landing site with equipment and footprints.

I'll put the screencapture as a link only, if you want to make an effort to find the site yourself. I recommend doing that.

Azzanadra

This is amazing. I long for the days when we can actually go into Jupiter's atmosphere and see what's up... hopefully during my lifetime, but I bet those smarter than me would argue its impossible because of gravity and all this other jargon.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Why does it look fake ?

Because you have nothing that you otherwise look at on a regular basis of that scale and of that chemistry that would make it seem normal and, in fact, the only things that come close to it in day to day human experience are things that are explicitly man made and therefore "fake".

High altitude photos of storm systems on Earth look a little "odd" too for similar reasons but at least the collier scheme is familiar there.

Top Bottom