• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Launch titles for the NX: Logical Predictions and Dream Predictions

DJIzana

Keep it a overworld game like the other FE games then. Either way, would be nice having a proper console title again for FE and not just limit it to handhelds if Nintendo has merged their handheld / console studios together. It was just an idea. :p

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Logical.
Final Fantasy XV (mark my words)
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
The Legend of Zelda
Smash 4 DX
Super Mario Maker
Battlefield 1
NBA 2k17
Just Dance 2017
Untitled Ubisoft Project
Platinum Games sequel
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Destiny

seems perfectly reasonable and I'd expect a 70% success rate.

DJIzana

....no.

A console FE would be great, but i feel like the series is better appreciated on a handheld.

Ehh... I agree because the gameplay suites the portability of handheld but at the same time I'd still like to play the game on a TV screen in HD.

Schnauzer

Any 2 of the 3 are a requirement for me to purchase after the Wii-U.

1.) A true successor to 3D mario games.
2.) An RPG other than Legend of Zelda such as Golden Sun (Camelot Preferred)
3.) A new and innovating game.

spanks

I just hope to god the Mario game is as ambitious as Super Mario 64 was back in the day. I don't care if it's open world or not, as long as it's a true spiritual successor to 64 rather than NSMB or 3d world, or even Galaxy. I want to be immersed again.

And Nintendo's real wildcard: a true 3d Pokémon game. No Stadium bullshit; the real deal. If they really want to shock and awe, make it an MMO.

Desparate Nintendo need to bring their A game. Imagine a lineup of all Nintendo's heavy hitters:

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon
Smash
Splatoon
Animal Crossing
AAA surprise new IP

Probs only getting half of those, realistically.

Meesh

I'm banking on:

*Smash.
*Zelda.
*Monster Hunter.
*Rares new IP.
*Mario Maker Extreme.
*CoD "something"
*Animal Crossing.

Wishful:

*Excite "something".
*Bayonetta 3.
*Zelda Maker.
*Beyond Good and Evil.
*Yakuza.
*Breath of Fire.(lol)
*Dark Stalkers.(more lol)

Sadist

Logical:

- Zelda U/NX
- Some simple game showing off the "brother" thing of both NX console and handheld
- Pikmin 4
- Bunch of ports; including Mass Effect Andromeda, 2K Sports game, Final Fantasy XV Complete Edition, Rayman 2 and others.

Dream

- New 3D Mario
- Metroid
- Fire Emblem
- Resident Evil 7
- Beyond Good & Evil
- And some other stuff I can't think of right now

MuchoMalo

Banned
Nintendo is typically predictable (in terms of software) and since it's public knowledge of their development teams and the games that they put out we could look towards their release schedules and come up with some logical conclusions.

Kinda, but it being a handheld, console, or both will have an impact.

MAtgS

LOGICAL

-Zelda, well its confirmed

-SSB4 port, a lot of people wait until there's a SSB to buy a Nintendo console & SSB5 will take too long.

-3D Mario, I think SMM took the 2D Mario spot in the rotation. A Galaxy 3 at launch is a definite system seller.

-Pikmin 4, said to be "Almost complete" & yet no sign of it on Wii U.

-Sonic 25th game, I get the feeling there were people at Sega who were really banking on NX coming out this year so there would've been a Nintendo platform for the game to sell on.

-Hyrule Warriors final version, HWL was a mistake. The NX handheld will be far more capable of running the game.

DREAM

-Hyrule Warriors Empires, the game's already got glorified fanfic OCs, might as well let the players create their own!

-Final Fantasy XV, kicking off a wave of Square's biggest games finally coming to Nintendo hardware.

-Metroid Prime 4

-A game that justifies all the amiibo I keep buying :(

Schnozberry

Logical.
The Legend of Zelda
Smash 4 DX
Super Mario Maker
Battlefield 1
NBA 2k17
Just Dance 2017
Untitled Ubisoft Project
Platinum Games sequel
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Destiny

You might get Call of Duty and a Ubi Game, but I'd guess it would get Deus Ex before Tomb Raider and that's still something of a long shot.

Sagittal

Banned
Logical

-Zelda U port (Marginally improved with a different control scheme)
-Pikmin 4 (An odd Miyamoto priority that was completed long ago)
-Beefed up Smash port (Easy money/filler)
-Splatoon port (More easy money/filler)
-FFXV (Nintendo building bridges/ with bonus content)
-Paper Mario: CS (So they can say they have Mario at launch)

Futile Dreams

-Mother 4 with bundled Mother 3
-Mario Kart 9
-Mario 64 Successor set in the Mushroom Kingdom
-Bayonetta 3
-Paper Mario TTYD 2
-Console Pokemon RPG
-Advance Wars NX
-A great Mario Party game
-A vastly superior Zelda U

Truly having a hard time believing Smash NX is going to be "easy port filler" considering it's a sacred franchise for them and they've literally never done that with Smash before, even when they had an opportunity to.

So yeah I think Smash will be at launch and it will have new content.

-Sonic 25th game, I get the feeling there were people at Sega who were really banking on NX coming out this year so there would've been a Nintendo platform for the game to sell on.

I really think the game will be out in Spring ala Secret Rings, Black Knight, etc regardless.

The silence is telling. We'll see. Honestly it being NX-exclusive would be very smart IMO. Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed sold the most on Wii U at launch against the PS3 and 360 versions despite those systems having such high install bases.

GamerJM

Banned
Loigcal:
Zelda NX
Monster's new racing game
Some new IP
Some random Ubisoft game
a bunch of ports
Smash Wii U, Splatoon port, Luigi's Mansion, and Pikmin 4 are all at least launch window if not launch day, I'm gonna make a wild guess that SMM can't get ported over but Splatoon can.

Dream:
Melee HD
Super Monkey Ball 3
Sonic Adventure 3 (this could actually happen under the "bunch of ports," tbh)
F-Zero NX
Paper Mario: We scrapped all of our work on Color Splash because it had a bad reception and was releasing on a dead console and made tTYD2 instead
Final Fantasy VI Remake
Dragon Quest XI, localized for the US at launch and includes both 3DS and PS4 versions

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Logical.

The Legend of Zelda
Smash 4 DX
Super Mario Maker
Battlefield 1
NBA 2k17

Just Dance 2017
Untitled Ubisoft Project
Platinum Games sequel
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Destiny

I can't help but feel all of the bolded games would bomb if they're released on NX 4-6 months after their initial release. I hope this isn't another Wii U situation.

Logical:

- Splatoon
- Smash 4
- Zelda
- A Mario platformer
- A Wii Sports/ Nintendoland like effort to show off the inevitable gimmick

Cream dream:

- XCX remastered
- Mario Kart 9
- Pokemon MMO
- Bayonetta 3 and Bayo 2 remastered
- Kid Icarus Uprising sequel
- Fire Emblem
- F Zero
Didn't Emily Rogers say at one point there was a remastered version of Xenoblade X being made for the NX quite awhile ago? I think that one's more logical than a cream dream.

It's (partially) why it's the only major Wii U game I haven't really touched yet; requires a huge time sink and the sub-HD/sub-60 and other graphical issues are going to annoy me if a vastly improved version comes out a year after I play it.

True Fire

All of the usual suspects, Zelda U, Pikmin, and one surprise first party game. There will be a few third party ports as well, like Resident Evil 7.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Emily Rogers say at one point there was a remastered version of Xenoblade X being made for the NX quite awhile ago? I think that one's more logical than a cream dream.

It's (partially) why it's the only major Wii U game I haven't really touched yet; requires a huge time sink and the sub-HD/sub-60 and other graphical issues are going to annoy me if a vastly improved version comes out a year after I play it.

I believe she said it made sense, not that it was being made, based on it likely being a high-budget game that was limited by the Wii U's audience. She also speculated DKC:TF would be ported, pointing to DKCR 3D and Xenoblade Chronicles 3D as precedents.

AFAIK, the only ports she has said are being worked on are Smash 4, Zelda U, Splatoon, and SMM, with the latter two only being "worked on" and not necessarily "confirmed" (by her) that they will eventually release.

Sagittal

Banned
Truly having a hard time believing Smash NX is going to be "easy port filler" considering it's a sacred franchise for them and they've literally never done that with Smash before, even when they had an opportunity to.

So yeah I think Smash will be at launch and it will have new content.

"Easy money/filler". Yes, I consider a re-release of a 2+ year old (by March '17) title to be filler even if it has bonus content. Nintendo has been leaning on Smash 4 for years now due to lack of output, frankly I'm tired of hearing about it. If the NX doesn't take off it will be selling to a percentage of the same group that bought it on the Wii U.

I believe she said it made sense, not that it was being made, based on it likely being a high-budget game that was limited by the Wii U's audience. She also speculated DKC:TF would be ported, pointing to DKCR 3D and Xenoblade Chronicles 3D as precedents.

AFAIK, the only ports she has said are being worked on are Smash 4, Zelda U, Splatoon, and SMM, with the latter two only being "worked on" and not necessarily "confirmed" (by her) that they will eventually release.
Oh, whoops.

I still think more so than a lot of other games in the Wii U library it stands to gain the most from a remaster. Graphically I'm not even sure if Smash 4 will look any different unless they put in the work for a new lighting system or include AA, given it's already locked at an impressive 1080/60fps with a ton of shit happening on screen.

kunonabi

Logical predictions:

bunch of Wii U ports
a couple of lazy 3rd party ports
new Mario
Pikmin 4
Amiibo based title, maybe something like Nintendo Land built with expansion in mind

Dream predictions:

3rd Person Metroid game
The Last Story sequel
Endless Ocean sequel
Famicom Detective Club sequel
Mach Rider sequel
Wave Race sequel
Mysterious Murasame Castle sequel
Mario Football
Collaborations with Capcom and Konami for new Mega Man and Castlevania titles.

Any of those would be great but none of them have a chance in hell.

My dreams have not changed, they've been the same for every Nintendo system since the N64: a new Pilotwings, a new Wave Race and a new 1080 Snowboarding.

MAtgS

I really think the game will be out in Spring ala Secret Rings, Black Knight, etc regardless.

The silence is telling. We'll see. Honestly it being NX-exclusive would be very smart IMO. Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed sold the most on Wii U at launch against the PS3 and 360 versions despite those systems having such high install bases.

I'm still baffled they never ported Generations to Wii U.

A new Splatoon would make me get an NX day 1.

The logical prediction? A minigame collection to show off all of the capabilities of the system.

Ogodei

Aside from the rumors, we can map Nintendo's teams. Assuming structure remained roughly the same since EAD and SPD became Nintendo EPD, we can see:

Nintendo EAD 1 (Mario Kart): this one's halfway likely, since they're roughly a 2.5 year/3 year team, although my guess is they'll get their game out by Holiday 2017.

EAD 2 (Wii ____, Splatoon, Animal Crossing), their last games were both last year, but we could see smaller stuff for them at launch, the rumored Splatoon Remaster and maybe a downloadable tech demo.

EAD 3 (Zelda) basically the only sure thing out of this.

EAD 4 (2D Mario, Pikmin), we could see Pikmin 4 and the Mario Maker remaster from this team.

EAD 5 (Nintendo's share of Star Fox Zero, other oddities), maybe the proof-of-concept demo will come from them instead.

EAD Tokyo (Mario), perfectly timed for the next 3D Mario from 3D World in 2013.

SPD (Team Sakamoto), it depends on how much work they put into Rhythm Heaven in 2015, otherwise their last "big" year was 2013. Could we see a new Wario Ware? I'd say this is also our best hope for Metroid. Either way, i think it will be launch window and not launch.

With that in mind, logic side from Nintendo says:

Remasters of Smash, Mario Maker, and Splatoon
Zelda U
3D Mario
Pikmin 4
A Nintendoland-style tech demo.

Seems like a lot, but Nintendo also definitely wants to go big here and knock it out of the park. Three remasters feels like much even then, but one of those three is a lock and two will be there by the first holiday.

Third party is the question.

Logical:
Zelda, Smash, Pikmin, Mario, Splatoon.

Dream:
Donkey Kong County from Retro, featuring all the animal companions and K. Rool, who is also added to Smash.

Digimon World: Next Order enhanced edition similar to Decode on the 3DS. They did it for the last handheld, so why not the new one? I'd definitely double dip if they added some post-game scenarios and 60-100 new Digimon.

Kingdom Hearts III

Pokémon Maker. Yeah, it will never happen.

Diddy Kong Racing 2.

Anyway, to be more on topic with this thread:

Logical:
- The Legend of Zelda NX (More or less confirmed at this point)
- Super Smash Bros. for NX (The question is more whether this boils down to whether it's a simple remaster or legitimately has new content and is more of a half-quel to Wii U/3DS)
- Splatoon (If not at launch then soon afterwards)
- Super Mario Maker (Ditto)
- Pikmin 4 (It was announced quite awhile ago and Pikmin 3 probably gave the team a more up-to-date engine to work with, so I doubt it'll take nearly as long to make as the last game did)
- A ton of 3rd party ports (Mostly a conservative sign of support that will probably fizzle out quickly if the sales don't justify the commitment. SEGA, Ubi and maybe WB are the only ones I see really sticking around if the NX is another Wii U situation, though maybe Capcom and Nintendo could work something out and fund proper Mega Man titles?)

Dream:
- Retro's new game (Again with Emily, but didn't she make out this is a new IP and had been worked on since DKCTF? Depending on how ambitious it is seems like there's enough time for us to see it during the launch period.)
- Luigi's Mansion 3 (I think this was in a rumour that turned out false but goddamn it now I wanna see it happen. I adored LM2 and think a followup could look gorgeous on a console aroundabouts the PS4's power.)
- Xenoblade X (As I said, stands to gain the most from a remaster)
- F-Zero (Nintendo maybe seeks out another 3rd party to get it a shot after they tried but failed with the Wii U and Criterion?)
- Diddy Kong Racing 2 OR DKC6 (I still reckon Monster Games was being prepped to do SOMETHING with the DK series by Nintendo given their involvement with the last couple Retro games, and despite TF not getting the attention it deserved they still seem to reference DKC pretty regularly. I don't think the series has died again.)

I love Mario games but honestly I'm too curious with the future of the 3D games to know where they'd go from here, and I agree with others it feels more like something that would be happening late 2017 rather than at the NX's launch.

EDIT: Oh shit, forgot about the rumour Nintendo was puling a Bayonetta 2 with Beyond Good & Evil 2. Did that get shot down yet or does it still have a shot of happening? That and maybe TimeSplitters 4 (really just due to the slight ex-Rare connection) are the main 'development hell' titles I could see Nintendo chipping in for in return for some exclusivity.

jdstorm

Banned
Assuming the rumours are true. 20 first party Nintendo games over the first year.
Including 3-4 new IP that hit every important genre

Dream
Star Citizen running scaled down on a portable

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, whoops.

I still think more so than a lot of other games in the Wii U library it stands to gain the most from a remaster. Graphically I'm not even sure if Smash 4 will look any different unless they put in the work for a new lighting system or include AA, given it's already locked at an impressive 1080/60fps with a ton of shit happening on screen.

I agree with all of this. Getting XCX at 1080/60 with better draw distance and potentially better lighting would be fantastic. However, I also think that I'd probably just rather get Xenoblade Chronicles Y because I know that Monolith Soft's NX game is going to be gorgeous. Your Smash tech improvements are what I'd hope for, in addition to potentially getting Ice Climbers and every stage being available in 8-Player Smash.

TheJoRu

I saw this entering the forums

9345GDG.png

and I started believing a bit too hard.

Neoxon

I just hope to god the Mario game is as ambitious as Super Mario 64 was back in the day. I don't care if it's open world or not, as long as it's a true spiritual successor to 64 rather than NSMB or 3d world, or even Galaxy. I want to be immersed again.

And Nintendo's real wildcard: a true 3d Pokémon game. No Stadium bullshit; the real deal. If they really want to shock and awe, make it an MMO.

Desparate Nintendo need to bring their A game. Imagine a lineup of all Nintendo's heavy hitters:

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon
Smash
Splatoon
Animal Crossing
AAA surprise new IP

Probs only getting half of those, realistically.
Game Freak prefers to stick with handhelds as their main target for mainline Pokémon games. Even if we get the shared library most of us are speculating, the next Pokémon game probably won't be far off from Sun/Moon outside of better graphics & performance.

Not all of these will appear, but I feel a number of these can happen in the ball park of launch or launch window.

NX Zelda
Pikmin 4
Smash 4
Mario Maker
Luigi's Mansion 3
Another Mario game of some kind
A Nintendoland style compilation
Retro's new game
A new Nintendo IP or two
A new Platinum game and/or a port of a couple of Platinum games like Bayo 1 & 2
A couple of Koei Tecmo games, a new game and a port of Hyrule Warriors, DW9 or DoA5
A couple of Ubisoft games, a couple of ports or one port and an exclusive
A couple of Sega games, see above
A couple of Namco games, see above
A couple of Capcom games, probably including a Monster Hunter and a couple of ports
A couple of WB games, probably ports and maybe a new Lego exclusive
A couple of EA games, probably ports
A Square Enix game, probably DQXI or FFXV, maybe an exclusive
F-Zero GX 2
1080 G-Force
Shadow Of The Eternals

spanks

Game Freak prefers to stick with handhelds as their main target for mainline Pokémon games. Even if we get the shared library most of us are speculating, the next Pokémon game probably won't be far off from Sun/Moon outside of better graphics & performance.

True. I guess I'm hoping that the hybrid nature of the NX might be just the loophole Nintendo needs to get a console game that is technically portable.

yami4ct

Keep it a overworld game like the other FE games then. Either way, would be nice having a proper console title again for FE and not just limit it to handhelds if Nintendo has merged their handheld / console studios together. It was just an idea. :p

The only way we're seeing a console FE is if the console can play the handheld titles. There's a reason strategy games have all fled consoles. The console SRPG market is absolutely dead. You are either PC or handheld.

guek

Banned
I'd love a smash 4 port but I've stepped away from the scene too long and it's just not the same without close friends to play with. At this point, I'd probably get more mileage out of a splatoon port or sequel

Top Bottom