• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

Hycran

Banned
Anyone have any experience/advice on dealing with burnout?

Just entered my 2nd year as a litigation associate in a "big law" Canadian firm. I love the work. Love the people I work with. But the demands, pressure, stress and overwhelming workload are already starting to get to me big time after only one year in.

Having worked at one of the seven sisters during my articles, my trick was always to avoid getting extra work. Its not like more work wont be there tomorrow and its not like you wont meet your billables so why take on more than you need to? I didn't feel any regret about leaving at 5 or 6 when I could because i knew the 11 or 16 hour days were right around the bend.

Not sure how many American lawyer gaffers are here but I have a quick question for any of the major market lawyers. I cant reveal too much about myself as it will instantly out my identity, but i'm wondering if anyone thinks its worth going to new york, chicago, austin etc as a first year lawyer just to make some serious scratch and then come home.

Without saying too much, it's likely that if i pass the bar in whichever state I apply in that I could become employed at a very prestigious and well paying job, but i'm not sure if it is worth the hassle for tax and career purposes. I can stay in Canada and get a good thing going, but it seems like it might be a good idea to strike when the iron is hot and pull down 150-180k USD while I can. I'm used to the big firm grind and could probably stomach it for a year or two before leaving. Any thoughts are appreciated.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Having worked at one of the seven sisters during my articles, my trick was always to avoid getting extra work. Its not like more work wont be there tomorrow and its not like you wont meet your billables so why take on more than you need to? I didn't feel any regret about leaving at 5 or 6 when I could because i knew the 11 or 16 hour days were right around the bend.

Not sure how many American lawyer gaffers are here but I have a quick question for any of the major market lawyers. I cant reveal too much about myself as it will instantly out my identity, but i'm wondering if anyone thinks its worth going to new york, chicago, austin etc as a first year lawyer just to make some serious scratch and then come home.

Without saying too much, it's likely that if i pass the bar in whichever state I apply in that I could become employed at a very prestigious and well paying job, but i'm not sure if it is worth the hassle for tax and career purposes. I can stay in Canada and get a good thing going, but it seems like it might be a good idea to strike when the iron is hot and pull down 150-180k USD while I can. I'm used to the big firm grind and could probably stomach it for a year or two before leaving. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I have a lot of friends who went to a Canadian law school but started at a firm in NYC. Most of them thought as you did - do a few years here then go back. But honestly, I would guess about 80% are still here with no plans on going back any time soon. What, exactly, are your concerns? Getting a job back on Canada?

Hycran

Banned
I have a lot of friends who went to a Canadian law school but started at a firm in NYC. Most of them thought as you did - do a few years here then go back. But honestly, I would guess about 80% are still here with no plans on going back any time soon. What, exactly, are your concerns? Getting a job back on Canada?

I have no desire whatsoever to actually live in the United States. I'm sure I say that now, but, notwithstanding that NY is a blue state, I would never want to raise a family in the USA, particularly at this current point in time. Living in BC is the ultimate goal but it would be nice to sock some money together for a condo or a townhome ya dig? I might send some feelers out to some of the bigger firms and see who has some interest, but I also need to take the state bar, which is a chore unto itself. Anyone who has advice on that (particularly in big markets) is appreciated. I've already completed the Canadian equivalent of the bar exam in BC.

Top Bottom