• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawyers Accuse Sanders of Illegal, Unethical Influence on Wife's Disastrous Loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lendghazi

The Synopsis: Jane Sanders was president of Burlington College in Burlington, Vermont some time ago and decided to purchase a local church property for the school. This purchase required a $10 million loan. The school didn't make nearly enough to pay it back, so the school went under and the church took a $2 million loss. Jane lost her position at the college and was given a $200,000 severance package.

The lawyers representing the church just sent this letter to Bernie Sanders claiming there is no way that Jane would have been able to get the loan on her own and that he improperly used his influence as a United States Senator to affect the decision making of the bank by having his office contact them. That's illegal. Now the lawyers are calling on Sanders to release all documents related to the loan, his wife's severance, and any communications he had with the bank. This is backed by the Freedom of Information Act.

The Letter:

3MEn6ZA.jpg

dKM2Mx1.jpg

Here is a contemporary, local article with a lot of details on the problem: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...al-questions-dog-burlington-college/14117505/

and the 2013 audit they refer to: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2648823/Burlington-College-Inc-2013-Single-Audit-2.pdf

also, it was not clear in the OP, but the college just shut down this week: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...rlington-college-shut-down-programs/84439890/

Someone's analysis (there are lots of links so check out the original post): https://www.reddit.com/r/enoughsand...presenting_church_that_lost_2_million/d3nocil
some chap on Reddit (links missing) said:
Jane's tenure as President of Burlington College

In 2010 Jane wanted to secure a $10 million loan for the expansion of the Burlington College campus. She received approval from Vermont Educational and Health Buildings Finance Agency (VEHBFA) on tax-exempt status for the loan. VEHBFA also voted that the loan be paid utilizing bonds of which People's United Bank loan $6.5 million plus a $3.65 second mortgage by the Catholic church whose land was being purchased by Burlington College.

So at this point, we have a $10 million loan that has been approved with favorable conditions. However, this loan was contingent upon the college providing proof of a minimum of $2.27 million of cash. Here is a signature by Jane Sanders in December 2010 agreeing to the terms of the loan. She could have backed out at this point and have been fine. But Jane Sanders submitted "proof" of $2.6 million for the purpose of meeting the contingency. Unfortunately the maximum amount of money that the college actually had then was $279,000. There is no way a mistake could have been made as the documents she signed for the closing of the loan were clear. Unfortunately the loan had already gone through when this was discovered. Even by 2014 the college was only able to come up with $676,000. You can see how this one action financially ruined this college.

Basically she signed legal loan documents that said she had more money than she did. Federal bank fraud occurs when a person “knowingly executes, or attempts to execute, a scheme or artifice (1) to defraud a financial institution; or (2) to obtain any of the moneys, funds, credits, assets, securities, or other property owned by, or under the custody or control of, a financial institution, by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises.” 18 U.S.C. § 1344. There was harm caused by these actions too. Significant harm to both the Catholic church that lost $2 million as a result of this along with everybody involved with Burlington College which has been forced to close.

These actions are troubling. It is even more troubling if any evidence emerges that Bernie influenced the loan. She was fired shortly after the fraudulent loan was obtained and given a $200,000 severance payment. I think that the reason we haven't seen more of the tax returns is because the embarrassment that payment, which is likely half of their income for that specific year, would cause. There is also People's United Bank that is out $6.5 million, but fuck banks, right?

Furthermore, I have always liked Jane Sanders. Her involvement with the campaign was positive and respectable. But just how much power does she have? Is she in charge of financial disclosure forms? In any of the campaign's interactions with the FEC? Should this call into question her dealings if this was the case? What do we make of all of this?

If anybody wants to read more about the details involved here look at this document.

The letter to the inspector General of Vermont, which clarifies many of the numbers.
http://blackpearl.wcax.com/documents/TOENSING.pdf

Preview of events to come:
V8uXxV.gif

It's all an establishment conspiracy to discredit Bernie and rig the contest!

But seriously, shit like this and a lot more would start coming out nearly daily if Bernie were the actual nominee. The GOP attack machine would be brutal and merciless, as they would have fresh meat to dig in on. Meanwhile, they have had decades to throw shit at Hillary, and nothing has seemed to have stuck bad enough to really hurt her in the end. The email thing will be a smear, but it has been run into the ground enough that it will feel like old hat instead of a new thing each week.

But there's no way Bernie would ever use his establishment connections for his own gain is there? I mean, that would mean he's full of shit.

Korgill

So she is either incompetent for signing something she didn't understand, a liar for lying on the document, or a thief purposely trying to take bank money with no chance of paying it back.

Wonder when he'll start to regret not facing reality by dropping his campaign earlier.
Maybe this is revenge for not dropping out. It would really clean up the mess for the establishment of this worked. No need to reconcile with Bernie supporters, no need to have him Bern the convention down, etc.

darkace

Banned
Imagine if after all this Bernie is the one in legal trouble. Delicious, delicious schadenfreude.

That said the Reddit guy that did that write-up is seriously biased, and the guy leading the charge for information is hardly neutral. I'd like to hear more before I jump on any train.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Somebody needs to throw the towel and stop his campaign. They've been getting Dempsey Roll-ed for the past couple days.

I sincerely hope Bernie didn't use his influence. That would break so many hearts.

I mean, the signature seems like clear-cut fraud. I dunno how they can prove Bernie somehow influenced the terms, though. That kind of case law is completely foreign to me.
Well, he contacted the bank from his office. Those communications might have records and those records might be grounds to prove influence. I think it's very likely. Why else would his OFFICE contact the bank?

I've seen this angle pop up every once in a while over the last 4 months or so. Haven't really seen it covered by media. All this is, is a letter from lawyers.

ApharmdX

Banned
After reading the letter, this seems extremely difficult to prove. Looks like a long shot. It's still disappointing as a Sanders supporter to see this shit.

Somebody needs to throw the towel and stop his campaign. They've been getting Dempsey Roll-ed for the past couple days.

I sincerely hope Bernie didn't use his influence. That would break so many hearts.

People expected a career politician to not use their power and influence for personal gain? Are people really that naive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom