• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawyers Accuse Sanders of Illegal, Unethical Influence on Wife's Disastrous Loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriGuy

We should just call a mulligan on this election and spot Obama another 4 years while this country gets its shit together.

People expected a career politician to not use their power and influence for personal gain? Are people really that naive?

That is where I am on this as well. I am a sick person and wanting to see people's hearts be broken and let them get a sense of reality if this is actually true.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
People expected a career politician to not use their power and influence for personal gain? Are people really that naive?

Considering a month ago I had a friend look me in the eye and tell me why Bernie was actually ahead in delegates, I would say yes. Bernie getting wrapped up in a corruption scandal would really disillusion a lot of people.

Oh god this is gonna get really ugly isn't it?

Just one more term Obama just one. Let me just get one more so we can save the SC and then someone else can take over.

sonicmj1

http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/01/07/right-wing-media-cite-discredited-republican-la/207839

before anybody accuses the clinton camp of being behind this. these lawyers are no friends of clinton.

That's not a good look. Seems like this firm has a long history of partisan shit-flinging.

To quote another MediaMatters story that collects some of diGenova & Toensing's history:

DiGenova Falsely Claimed Members Of The Military Were "Relieved Of Their Duty Because They Insisted That There Be A Military Response" To Benghazi Attacks. On October 28, 2013, diGenova claimed on WMAL that some members of the military were "relieved of their duty because they insisted that there be a military response" the night of the September 2012 Benghazi attacks, despite the fact that a military response was ordered by then-Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta. These military forces included a Marine anti-terrorism team deployed from Spain and special operations forces that were stationed in Croatia and the United States, but they did not arrive until after the attacks were over. [Media Matters, 10/29/13; Media Matters, 10/28/13]

DiGenova Baselessly Alleged That Obama Administration Tried To Cover Up Theft Of Hundreds Of Surface-To-Air Missiles In Benghazi. In October 2013, diGenova claimed on WMAL that the Obama administration was trying to cover up the theft of 400 surface-to-air missiles that were somehow linked to the American presence in Benghazi. While diGenova told WMAL that he didn't whether the missiles were physically at the CIA annex the night of the attack, "it is clear that the annex was somehow involved in the process of the distribution of those missiles." DiGenova did not name his sources for this claim, acknowledged that some of his information is not "verifiable," and provided no evidence to back up the allegation. [Media Matters, 8/13/13; CNS News, 8/13/13]

DiGenova Has Been Criticized By Lawmaker For "Non-Stop Mugging" For The Press And For Lacking "Impartiality, Non-Partisanship, And Professionalism." In 1998, Joseph DiGenova and his wife and legal partner Victoria Toensing, who were working as outside counsel for the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, were criticized for their actions in connection with the Monica Lewinsky scandal. A February 5, 1998, Roll Call article "Rep. Bill Clay (D-Mo) launched a stinging attack on the two lead attorneys investigating the Teamsters campaign finance scandal yesterday, alleging that the attorneys have lost their objectivity because of their frequent television appearances and 'participation' in the scandal involving ex-White House intern Monica Lewinsky."

Bernie's wife bankrupting a college due to a fraudulently-obtained loan is a big mess no matter what, but alleging that Bernie Sanders was directly involved is quite a leap to take. This seems like a fishing expedition made to look like more than it is.

Then again, if there's something in the tax returns about this...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That's not a good look. Seems like this firm has a long history of partisan shit-flinging.

To quote another MediaMatters story that collects some of diGenova & Toensing's history:

Bernie's wife bankrupting a college due to a fraudulently-obtained loan is a big mess no matter what, but alleging that Bernie Sanders was directly involved is quite a leap to take. This seems like a fishing expedition made to look like more than it is.

Then again, if there's something in the tax returns about this...

I doubt that Bernie himself ever actually said "hey, yo, approve this", but I wouldn't be surprised if his status as senator "informally" influenced its approval

Azzanadra

8 more years

I actually want Obama gone as fast as possible now (even though I like him more than Clinton) because he's going to shove down TPP down our throats before he leaves. I would take Clinton over him at this moment because she has at least shown some resistance to it.

As for this:

A lawyer wrote Sanders a letter.

and....
............ok?

Oh god this is gonna get really ugly isn't it?

Just one more term Obama just one. Let me just get one more so we can save the SC and then someone else can take over.
Just one more Obama term? You know, I heard there's a candidate that "represents nothing more than the status quo".
I actually want Obama gone as fast as possible now (even though I like him more than Clinton) because he's going to shove down TPP down our throats before he leaves. I would take Clinton over him at this moment because she has at least shown some resistance to it.
Nah, she'll approve it. Don't worry about that. :)

HylianTom

Banned

The big kicker? She's been criticized for flip-flopping since her time in the Senate (where she was 11th most liberal), and her flip-floppy movement has been even further leftward.

For those wondering, here's another measurement of voting record: Hillary Clinton Was the 11th Most Liberal Member of the Senate

If Bill Clinton - considered by many to be emblematic of what's wrong with the "moderate" Democratic Party - can nominate the former General Consel of the ACLU in the considerably more conservative environment of 1993, then any mainstream Democrat is going to have no problem nominating solid progressives here in 2016/beyond.

Yes, and she'll nominate less progressive SC justices to parlay favors in the house and senate because they aren't going to turn. And she needs the leverage to get some shit done.

A third term Obama would give 0 fucks.

Do you have inside info, or are you speculating? I'd like a citation.

insinuation without proper evidence is something I don't want to do to Sanders.

Despite his tendency to do it to others, it's not something I think we should engage in. Nothing to see here until there's anything concrete.

I do however, still want full tax returns from Bernie for at least 10-15 years.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm waiting on someone like John Marshall to contact some people in the know to see if this has any merit. Good no bullshit OP Kristoffe, you get no complaints from me.

So to guess, the response from Bernie supporters will be to accuse people of manufacturing controversies to hurt Bernie's credibility (the equivalent of emptying buckshot into a mounted buck) as opposed to the possibility that Bernie may just be a part of the establishment and used the power granted by his involvement in it to benefit.

(Not claiming that this is necessarily true, just that it will be dismissed outright by the hardcore supporters by the merit of being harmful to Bernie's run)

Seems like there is a drip drip of negative Bernie Sanders stories the past couple of days. It might be the Establishment™ finally flexing its muscles as payback for his hubris.

Seriously though, this should serve as a warning to the hardcore Bernie Sanders supporters that are still left clinging to the idea that Bernie is the better nominee compared to Hillary: this is just a taste of the negative attacks and character assassinations dear Bernie here will encounter in the general election from the Republicans. And this is just small peanuts compared to what the GOP will run against him. He will absolutely get crucified in the general election, especially from Trump. Guaranteed.

Thankfully, we have Hillary as the nominee who is more seasoned to handle all this.

Do you have inside info, or are you speculating? I'd like a citation.
General speculation based on her actions as a senator, SoS and past presidents.

I mean it's not a bad thing, I'm just saying I'd prefer them to be as left as possible and I think a president who doesn't need to worry about currying immediate favor will do so.

pigeon

Banned

As for this:

A lawyer wrote Sanders a letter.

and....
............ok?

Hillary worked on negotiating the TPP. I'm pretty sure the only reason she came out against it was that she was confident Obama would be able to pass it before she got into office.

Gonna have to keep reading it, but...remember when people said "Sanders high favorables aren't worth risking the election on, he hasn't really been vetted yet"? This is what they meant.

A visual representation of the end of the Sanders campaign:

eT3SaMj.gif

I knew about how Jane Sanders made a bad land decision and drove a school out of business. I did not know the details about the loan she took out. Yeesh.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
But seriously, shit like this and a lot more would start coming out nearly daily if Bernie were the actual nominee. The GOP attack machine would be brutal and merciless, as they would have fresh meat to dig in on.
Indeed. He's gone relatively untouched and unvetted. If he were ever seen as worthy of Republicans digging into, they'd have so much material to work with.

Honestly, it's weird that these lawyers are going after Sanders at all. Hurting him is only going to help Hillary (aka the actual nominee).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom