• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawyers Accuse Sanders of Illegal, Unethical Influence on Wife's Disastrous Loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Wow, Bernie sure got lucky with this.

Memorial Day weekend. Couldn't pick a better weekend to bury this story if you tried.

gcubed

The document says the school had to provide proof of having the 2 millions, yet she signed it and they considered that proof?

Sounds fishy on the bank's end.

Plus if the bank did give the loan as a result of influence from Sanders, it means the bank is doubly fishy in this; they want proof of the school (not Jane) having 2m, they never got it, and made the loan anyway after being "influenced" yet still never getting the proof?

And there is no board st the college to approve the request for a 2m loan? Just Jane deciding so and signing a paper? Again, fishy.

I'm going to guess the bank accepted as a result of negotiations due to the lack of 2m, not that the school or Jane faked it.

Now that could be as a result of influence from Sanders, tbd.

The real questionable part we know of is the 200,000$ golden parachute.

Also, wouldn't surprise me that this firm is hoping for Hillary's camp to use this story only to bring something similar up on the Clintons, to force both to acquiesce. If Sanders give in, and Clinton attacked him on this, and then the law firm brought something similar on the Clintons they would pretty much have to settle quickly.

Clinton hasn't attacked Sanders when they were actually competing, she won't touch this with a 10 foot pole because besides the fact that there is no reason to smear someone after he lost, it's a bullshit fishing expedition by the law firm done to drum up attention to their law suit.

I don't expect anyone but possibly fox news to even cover this

dramatis

Also, wouldn't surprise me that this firm is hoping for Hillary's camp to use this story only to bring something similar up on the Clintons, to force both to acquiesce. If Sanders give in, and Clinton attacked him on this, and then the law firm brought something similar on the Clintons they would pretty much have to settle quickly.
More likely this is a case where the lawyers see a small window of time in which they can still squeeze money from Sanders's campaign, because Sanders will be out of the race soon. The reason it's been sat on for so long is probably because the lawyers in this case considering the possibility of getting more money if this issue blew up during a hypothetical general election with Sanders as the nominee.

If Hillary wanted to attack Sanders on it, she would have a long time ago. If this had come up in the general, you can bet it would be news on all major stations running 24/7 for days.

And lol at the idea that the firm has anything on Hillary that hasn't been thrust into the public spotlight already. Go check their papers yourself, they already threw all of that up and nobody batted an eye.

These are GOP troll lawyers who love fucking with Dems, completely unaffiliated with any Democrat campaign...they were going at Hillary before for Benghazi as well in much the same way.

Clearly just a shitty play to get themselves a STFU settlement check or something.

This is the GOP smear machine and these are the tactics Bernie's campaign hasn't had to deal with yet (or for 25 years), btw. I'm sure he'll handle it okay though.

Smells political due to the timing. Not convinced honestly.
Not convinced of what? It is a legitimate story but I don't think any of the majors will pick it up. Trump does not need to pick up the thread as he sees Bernie as an also ran , and Clinton does not play that way. I personally don't care but it is interesting to see the dynamics of how things like this play out in a news cycle. This has been out in the wild for about two weeks so it may just pass Bernie by.

There is no way a mistake could have been made as the documents she signed for the closing of the loan were clear. Unfortunately the loan had already gone through when this was discovered.
'There's no way a mistake could have been made'
'A mistake was made'

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this. My guess is nothing.

royalan

I doubt Hillary had anything to do with this story, but wow does it play to her advantage in a way that she could use.

Right now Sanders is on a witch hunt within the party and threatening to set the convention on fire. He does this partly because he views himself as the infallible standard bearer of progressive values. And he's mostly been treated that way. A scandal like this, and right in his wheelhouse? Could kill that reputation.

Bernie's only just getting a taste of what it's like to actually run for President. I wonder if this will remind him of that.

This week has got to have Bernie supporters feeling like Melisandre right about now...

"He is the prince who was promised."

*Bernie gets his head lopped off.*

"Oh..."

This has to be the biggest joke of a presidential race in U.S. history, right?

sangreal

Here is a contemporary, local article with a lot of details on the problem: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...al-questions-dog-burlington-college/14117505/

and the 2013 audit they refer to: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2648823/Burlington-College-Inc-2013-Single-Audit-2.pdf

also, it was not clear in the OP, but the college just shut down this week: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...rlington-college-shut-down-programs/84439890/

Holm and Moore declined to criticize Sanders, who served as president from 2004 to 2011.

But in a statement Monday morning, the college blamed debt from the land deal as a primary reason for the school's closure.

Holm suggested the college’s plan to pay for the waterfront campus was unachievable.

“I believe the vision was enrollment would grow, which it did, but not at the level that would have allowed us to manage the financial debt we had incurred,” Holm said. “So here we are.”

Linkyn

I'm curious how much shit would be dug up about Sanders is he actually did when the primaries.

I think that's the biggest thing to take away from this. In the general, anything that looks even remotely slanted is twisted beyond recognition by the opposite camp. Forget a few days of negative stories, how about 3-4 months of intense scrutiny?

Slayven

I'm curious how much shit would be dug up about Sanders is he actually did when the primaries.
21CYBrr.jpg

Credit to excelsiorlef

The document says the school had to provide proof of having the 2 millions, yet she signed it and they considered that proof?
Yes, the bank planned on losing all of its money. Fraud!

Maybe they didn't do everything they were supposed to and lost money in the end. That's not the point. They trusted Jane to not put them on the crazy train and be competent. And she blew it.

Sounds fishy on the bank's end.
This is called victim blaming.

Plus if the bank did give the loan as a result of influence from Sanders, it means the bank is doubly fishy in this; they want proof of the school (not Jane) having 2m, they never got it, and made the loan anyway after being "influenced" yet still never getting the proof?
No, it means Sanders might have greased the bank a little. You really have no idea how powerful US Senators are, do you? They are 100 of the most powerful men on the planet and in our government.

I'm going to guess the bank accepted as a result of negotiations due to the lack of 2m, not that the school or Jane faked it.
You didn't even read my post. She SIGNED saying that her school had an amount of money. She did not have that money. That is fraud.

The real questionable part we know of is the 200,000$ golden parachute.
I don't even care about that. I thought it was really small tbh.
Here is a contemporary, local article with a lot of details on the problem: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...al-questions-dog-burlington-college/14117505/

and the 2013 audit they refer to: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2648823/Burlington-College-Inc-2013-Single-Audit-2.pdf

also, it was not clear in the OP, but the college just shut down this week: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...rlington-college-shut-down-programs/84439890/
putting this in OP now, thank you.

flkraven

Lol @ people saying this is a political attack from the right. The right WANTS Bernie as the nominee so they can slam him with all this stuff in the general. This is the first week that some of Bernie's dirty laundry has been exposed and it came out without the other politicians even trying. He's been handled with kid gloves. If he was the nominee this is what every week would look like.

NimbusD

Eh

I'm pissed at Bernie

But I want a bit more evidence before jumping on this

It's insane how gaf eats this shit up.

One letter from a lawyer representing someone who took a bad deal? That's all people need. A political one at that that's referring to how Sanders is running his presidential campaign which is 100% irrelevant to what the lawyers interest SHOULD be in sending this letter. It's transparently designed to make people think more negatively of sanders (a hit piece if you will).

Hillary is directly part of a federal investigation and if you want to tie her to her husbands stuff like this ties Sanders to his wife's dealings, Clinton has also been accused of helping cover up and silence women who accused Bill Clinton of rape. But one letter from a lawyer and Sanders is the devil or something.

Idk for the record I don't buy the stuff mentioned about hillary either, just that's the dichotomy here.

Lol @ people saying this is a political attack from the right. The right WANTS Bernie as the nominee so they can slam him with all this stuff in the general. This is the first week that some of Bernie's dirty laundry has been exposed and it came out without the other politicians even trying. He's been handled with kid gloves. If he was the nominee this is what every week would look like.

Exactly. There is no reason for the GOP to even go after him at this point. But if they ever did decide to, stories like this and much more would be the norm for months. Or at least taking something seemingly benign and twisting it and hammering it in until it stuck.

Welcome to an election year!

One letter from a lawyer representing someone who took a bad deal? That's all people need. A political one at that that's referring to how Sanders is running his presidential campaign which is 100% irrelevant to what the lawyers interest SHOULD be in sending this letter. It's transparently designed to make people think more negatively of sanders (a hit piece if you will).

Hillary is directly part of a federal investigation and if you want to tie her to her husbands stuff like this ties Sanders to his wife's dealings, Clinton has also been accused of helping cover up and silence women who accused Bill Clinton of rape. But one letter from a lawyer and Sanders is the devil or something.

Idk for the record I don't buy the stuff mentioned about hillary either, just that's the dichotomy here.

The reason this is sticking out more and more people on here are jumping on it is because it is new news. Combine that with Sanders holier than thou tone that he has hammered for so long, and it is just schadenfreude kicking in.

Eh, I think it's the worst kept secret that the Sanders reluctance to publish their file tax returns honestly and openly has everything to do with Jane and not Bernie.

That being said, I'm not going to die on a hill for this law firm as far as Bernie goes until more concrete evidence emerges showing his office played a role. I hope the people fooled by Jane's incompetence get some sort of justice though.

This whole week has been a good week for demonstrating why the "Bernie hasn't been attacked yet" argument holds weight - when it rains, it pours. Populist politicians are *still* politicians, people need to never forget that.

I get where you're coming from, but it's more about the narrative than directly comparing the gross amount of severity of scandals about both candidates.

People know what they're getting with Hillary - a very skilled politician, with all the pros and cons of that experience and culture. Bernie is cut from the same mold, yet he ran on a platform of being an outsider and of actual righteousness in politics. It's no surprise people are extremely frustrated now that the skeletons are collapsing from the closet. It's Bernie vs. Hillary to some degree obviously, but it's also a fallen hero story which the human condition enjoys regardless of affiliation.

Arkeband

Banned
This is probably the worst week of Sanders' life. Literally every day for four days something else has happened.

It hasn't been a good week for any candidate, really. As much as GAF likes to handwave it, the report on her emails made the issue worse for her, the media has picked up on the lawsuit against Trump University, and he's got some negative spin in social media for proposing a debate for charity and then ducking it twice.

NimbusD

I get where you're coming from, but it's more about the narrative than directly comparing the gross amount of severity of scandals about both candidates.

People know what they're getting with Hillary - a very skilled politician, with all the pros and cons of that experience and culture. Bernie is cut from the same mold, yet he ran on a platform of being an outsider and of actual righteousness in politics. It's no surprise people are extremely frustrated now that the skeletons are collapsing from the closet. It's Bernie vs. Hillary to some degree obviously, but it's also a fallen hero story which the human condition enjoys regardless of affiliation.

Yeah I guess I get that, but the problem is when people are LOOKING for it so hard. At this point it could almost be a letter written in crayon and people would react the same way.

There's plenty of doubt here for this specific accusation. GAF has such a tendency to ignore stuff like that in favor of boosting the signal of stories that create narratives that they either like or fuel their desire to see someone torn down.

It's like these people have never seen the internet before. People keep falling into the same pattern it's insane.

Chumly

It's far far more likely the bank new that the college didn't have the cash on hand but gave them the loan anyways.

Yeah I guess I get that, but the problem is when people are LOOKING for it so hard. At this point it could almost be a letter written in crayon and people would react the same way.

There's plenty of doubt here for this specific accusation. GAF has such a tendency to ignore stuff like that in favor of boosting the signal of stories that create narratives that they either like or fuel their desire to see someone torn down.

It's like these people have never seen the internet before. People keep falling into the same pattern it's insane.

It does get frustrating but the same can be said for every article that comes out about Hilary. People come out of the woodwork to confirm their bias, often without even reading the thread for further clarification.

People see this as "picking" on Bernie because he's a nice guy. Now there are calls for more evidence and time for clarity. If this had been Clinton, there would be plenty of posters jumping in to say "See! I told you she was crooked! This is who you're voting for!". This happens all the time. Because she's "shady" people eat up whatever article on her that gets thrown at her. She's already guilty even when it's just accusation.

This is an enitely fair thing to scrutinize. It's not fair to dismiss it as nothing.

(Voted for Bernie in the primary btw)

Mattenth

She SIGNED saying that her school had an amount of money. She did not have that money. That is fraud.

Screenshot of the signed statement?

There's no way the college only had less than 500k in the coffers.

I think this accusation has a breakdown between Total Liabilities and Net Assets. It's likely that the college DID have enough money in the bank but also had other debts.

Again, two sides to every story.

This letter isn't evidence. It's an accusation. Where's the evidence?

FStop7

Banned
If Hillary were behind this it wouldn't have been released on a Friday/Saturday, especially not a holiday.

The whole thing sounds pretty speculative.

royalan

This story isn't exactly new. It's been floating around since the college closed.

Just goes to show how not interested in vetting Sanders the media has been.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Clinton hasn't attacked Sanders when they were actually competing, she won't touch this with a 10 foot pole because besides the fact that there is no reason to smear someone after he lost, it's a bullshit fishing expedition by the law firm done to drum up attention to their law suit.

I don't expect anyone but possibly fox news to even cover this

This right here.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
These are GOP troll lawyers who love fucking with Dems, completely unaffiliated with any Democrat campaign...they were going at Hillary before for Benghazi as well in much the same way.

Clearly just a shitty play to get themselves a STFU settlement check or something.

This is the GOP smear machine and these are the tactics Bernie's campaign hasn't had to deal with yet (or for 25 years), btw. I'm sure he'll handle it okay though.

Citation?

Also why would the GOP want bernie to drop out when he's doing their dirty work on Clinton?

Mattenth

If Hillary were behind this it wouldn't have been released on a Friday/Saturday, especially not a holiday.

The whole thing sounds pretty speculative.

It's just ridiculous. There's not a shred of evidence here.

You're all making this accusation: Jane Sanders knowingly signed financial disclosure documents that she knew to be false.

We don't even have proof that the documents are false. Where are the documents? Why weren't they photocopied and included with the letter? Where's the signed statements from People's United Bank? Where are statements from people with the University, or the University financial department?

I'm going to wait until there's actual evidence. You know, the stuff that stands up in court.

This letter isn't evidence. It seems more like a struggling law firm trying to take a shot for some free publicity.

Screenshot of the signed statement?

There's no way the college only had less than 500k in the coffers.

I think this accusation has a breakdown between Total Liabilities and Net Assets. It's likely that the college DID have enough money in the bank but also had other debts.

Again, two sides to every story.

This letter isn't evidence. It's an accusation. Where's the evidence?
The Reddit post I linked had a lot of links embedded that I did not have the time to restore. This includes an image of the signature. There is tons more information in this document:

http://blackpearl.wcax.com/documents/TOENSING.pdf

The number you're talking about was a capital requirement that Jane Sanders said the school would satisfy through donations. However, the donations only ended up totaling something like 200k, when she had promised 2 million. That's where the discrepancy is.

Why would she estimate so many donations?

The Reddit post I linked had a lot of links embedded that I did not have the time to restore. This includes an image of the signature. There is tons more information in this document:

The number you're talking about was a capital requirement that Jane Sanders said the school would satisfy through donations. However, the donations only ended up totaling something like 200k, when she had promised 2 million. That's where the discrepancy is.

Do you think she had a secret plan to bankrupt her own college?

numble

She SIGNED saying that her school had an amount of money. She did not have that money. That is fraud.

You need to read the actual document. The $2 million is the estimate of pledged donations totaled for 2011 through 2016, or 6 total years. The 279k figure is the actual number for 2011. They still didn't reach $2 million over 6 years, but the letter is intentionally misleading by making different comparisons (comparing the $2.6 million pledged total for 6 years to the $279k actual total for one year of 2011).

smurfx

get some go again
it is from the right. everybody knows sanders isn't going to win and his usefulness will run out after june 7th. they are gonna try and weaken him as a messenger when he campaigns against trump during the general election. if they can kick up a big enough stink then many people running for office will try and stay clear of him. you are crazy if you think the gop doesn't want to take down a guy who has a ton of democratic and independent support and who will use that support to tell people to vote against trump.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So there isn't proof that his office directly influenced the loan.

What Jane did was wrong.

You guys are frothing at the mouths at a story without any direct evidence of Bernie's own office wrongdoing. You guys are doing the same thing you chastise people over for wanting Hillary's speech transcripts and concern over the private e-mail server. This may show Bernie is a hypocrite. You guys are feeding into the same shit you chastise other people for.

numble

Citation?

Also why would the GOP want bernie to drop out when he's doing their dirty work on Clinton?

Here is your citation:
http://mediamatters.org/research/2013/04/30/who-are-the-right-wing-medias-benghazi-lawyers/193842

3MEn6ZAl.jpg

Victoria Toensing and her husband and legal partner Joseph diGenova are pushing claims that anonymous State Department and CIA "whistleblowers" have been blocked and threatened by the Obama administration to prevent their testifying on the September 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic facility in Benghazi, Libya. Toensing and diGenova are longtime Republican activists, and Toensing has a history of pushing dubious claims and falsehoods into the media.

They Have Been Criticized For "Non-Stop Mugging" And For Lacking "Impartiality, Non-Partisanship, And Professionalism." In 1998, Toensing, who was working as outside counsel for the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, was criticized for her actions in connection with the Monica Lewinsky scandal. A February 5, 1998, Roll Call article (via Nexis) reported: "Rep. Bill Clay (D-Mo) launched a stinging attack on the two lead attorneys investigating the Teamsters campaign finance scandal yesterday, alleging that the attorneys have lost their objectivity because of their frequent television appearances and 'participation' in the scandal involving ex-White House intern Monica Lewinsky."

Clay said in his letter that a LEXIS/NEXIS search found 166 citations of diGenova and Toensing commenting on the Lewinsky affair between Jan. 21 and Feb. 4. The letter came even as Republicans approved an additional $750,000 for the diGenova-Toensing investigation.

Toensing Attempted To Link The Resignation Of David Petraeus To The Benghazi Attack. In November 2012, Toensing wrote an op-ed for Fox News attempting to draw a link between the Benghazi attack and the abrupt resignation of former CIA director David Petraeus.

Toensing And diGenova Involved In Discredited And Retracted Article About President Clinton. In a February 27, 1998, article on Toensing and diGenova's involvement in a retracted Dallas Morning News article claiming that a Secret Service agent had witnessed President Clinton and Lewinsky in a "compromising situation,"

Stinkles said:
Some real Lance Armstrong fans in here.

Agreed.

Do you think she had a secret plan to bankrupt her own college?
I think she had a very public plan to Make Burlington Great Again. I think she and her husband have a very sincere respect for the education system and wanted the students to have the best college they could. I think Jane looked very hard for a new location for the college, found the church, and thought, "This it. This is must be the place." I think Jane Sanders then did everyhting in her power to make it happen because this was her dream project.

I think she went to the bank and they told her she would need a very serious capital requirement before they could afford the loan with her. I think she then convinced the church to help pony up some of the money or offer her a loan because it would be a good choice in the long run and it was the Christian thing to do. I think when even that wasn't enough, she closed her eyes and pictured a massive fundraiser all across the small city of Burlington. A real grassroots movement to make Burlington College the pride and joy of the ciy.

So she goes back to the bank and tells them she expects $2 million in future donations. They're skeptical. She's not. They tell her they need to think about it. Jane goes home nervous and tells her husband what happened because as a supportive husband, he's been tuned into the process from the very beginning. Her wife is sad. They are so close to really making a difference.

So I think Sanders makes a call to the bank. I think he assures them, with his full credibility as a United States Senator, that he knows the college, he knows his wife, he knows they will make it work. Because that's how it's always been for the Sanders. It will work out in the end. The difference between people who make it work and people who don't is that the people who make it work really gave it a vigorous effort. It will work out in the end because if other people can do it, so can they.

And so Bernie Sanders closes his eyes, too.

200w.gif

And when they open them again, the college is gone. The bank has taken a massive loss. The church lost $2 million. They only raised 200k in their grassroots movement. Jane is fired by the board. Everything went wrong.

I have never heard Bernie or Jane publicly talk about this. Talk about their mistakes. Own up to it. I have never heard Bernie own up to anything before, to be honest. So that's why this story is important. It's because wishful thinking is irresponsible. It's not because the Sanders are "corrupt", it's because they're incompetent. It's because you can't trust them to get it done. This is about judgment, and they have none.

I wouldn't know what to do this election if I were an American, (imo) there is literally not a single viable candidate these elections. I'd be terrified at the thought of one of these three people running my country.

I think she had a very public plan to Make Burlington Great Again. I think she and her husband have a very sincere respect for the education system and wanted the students to have the best college they could. I think Jane looked very hard for a new location for the college, found the church, and thought, "This it. This is must be the place." I think Jane Sanders then did everyhting in her power to make it happen because this was her dream project.

I think she went to the bank and they told her she would need a very serious capital requirement before they could afford the loan with her. I think she then convinced the church to help pony up some of the money or offer her a loan because it would be a good choice in the long run and it was the Christian thing to do. I think when even that wasn't enough, she closed her eyes and pictured a massive fundraiser all across the small city of Burlington. A real grassroots movement to make Burlington College the pride and joy of the ciy.

So she goes back to the bank and tells them she expects $2 million in future donations. They're skeptical. She's not. They tell her they need to think about it. Jane goes home nervous and tells her husband what happened because as a supportive husband, he's been tuned into the process from the very beginning. Her wife is sad. They are so close to really making a difference.

So I think Sanders makes a call to the bank. I think he assures them, with his full credibility as a United States Senator, that he knows the college, he knows his wife, he knows they will make it work. Because that's how it's always been for the Sanders. It will work out in the end. The difference between people who make it work and people who don't is that the people who make it work really gave it a vigorous effort. It will work out in the end because if other people can do it, so can they.

200w.gif

And when they open them again, the college is gone. The bank has taken a massive loss. The church lost $2 million. They only raised 200k in their grassroots movement. Jane is fired by the board. Everything went wrong.

I have never heard Bernie or Jane publicly talk about this. Talk about their mistakes. Own up to it. I have never heard Bernie own up to anything before, to be honest. So that's why this story is important. It's because wishful thinking is irresponsible. It's not because the Sanders are "corrupt", it's because they're incompetent. It's because you can't trust them to get it done. This is about judgment, and they have none.
That's some great fan fiction.

Tingle

Does Hillary get the Chaos emeralds to wipe Trump out of the race in this story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom