• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lazy Game Reviews - Anyone Else a Big Fan?

Season finale to Thrifts. LGR says that his glasses camera breaking, a recent blizzard, and assorted snags in production are going to put the series on hold...for now. If you're bored and want a good time-waster, Thrifts ain't a bad choice. I was thinking it'd been a while since he'd uploaded an episode.

His recent video on Gary Kildall and CP/M is a good primer, rather depressing at the end.

inm8num2

Was gonna post the video last night and forgot. :p

That lucky bastard found big boxes of Tex Murphy: Overseer AND The Pandora Directive in the same store!

lazygecko

I played the hell out of the Sim Copter demo in 1997. In spite of its many and serious flaws I found it very enjoyable just as he described. It was my first 3D urban sandbox game, and this even came out before GTA1 to boot.

Also an intriguing period for Maxis itself. Seems that they had really overextended the company beyond their capacity to deliver in the wake of the success of Sim City 2000. I think they were also trying to start a sports brand at the time as well. As much flak as EA gets for running Maxis into the ground the last couple of years, at the time they pretty much saved them from certain doom. The EA buyout allowed them to focus on the kinds of games they wanted to make, and shortly after the brilliant Sim City 3000 was made.

Just wanted to make special mention of his Sonic's Schoolhouse review, because I was genuinely hoping he'd get around to that weird little piece of software at some point. Had it as a kid, and while I'm unashamed to openly admit I loved the thing, I'm also quite aware of how crappy the thing is in general.

First found him because of his great Sims reviews, and he's got such a great voice and personality. Think my favourite vid of his is his review of Besiege; that laughter was infectious.

Adnor

Banned
Yeah, I wonder how many people looks at the name and actually believe his reviews are like this:

A true lazy game review would be 10 seconds long and just say.

"It stinks."

"It's ok."

"It's great."

and not expand on why.

And never visit the channel.

That pinball controller does look neat, though you could probably do much better nowadays. I also like how these videos feel more improvisational than his others (OS/2 showcase does this most of all though).

Krejlooc

Banned
Came in to say "Yes! Clint is awesome!" but I see I've already posted that, lol

I really do like LGR quite a bit. One of the only web shows I actually watch.

Long time subscriber. I really like his style and his calm personality. Everyone should check the Colonel's Bequest LP he did together with Pushing Up Roses (check her channel too).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcXUr4OJhR1ZDJXxWaB6ORnTx3V1Cx-5Y

The only thing I dislike about his channel is the name "Lazy Game Reviews". I'm sure he chose it when the [Adjective] Gamer was all the rage and now he's stuck with that. He looks "relaxed" all right, but he's clearly not slacking off.

Sanctuary

Just checked out a few of his videos, and his speech patterns are hard to deal with. Sometimes he sounds like he's reading from a script in a very robotic fashion, and other times he sounds like someone trying to remember lines to a play, reciting them like an actor. His voice itself is fine, but the way he speaks is not very natural most of the time.

edit: if his original format was meant to be podcast only, I suppose it might make sense. His videos however seem like they are trying to alternate between the podcast format with a more emotive and live format at the same time. The styles clash.

fvng

LGR is my go to channel on a lazy weekend afternoon when i'm unwinding. He really captures how great classic pc gaming was. Metal Jesus Rocks has a similar love for old pc gaming

edit: if his original format was meant to be podcast only, I suppose it might make sense. His videos however seem like they are trying to alternate between the podcast format with a more emotive and live format at the same time. The styles clash.
Really nothing wrong, though, since the dissonance is humorous (going from a svelte robot voice to something more homely and exuberant). He's definitely speaking from the script but with delivery that has a unique aesthetic; he advertises as Lazy but does tons of works on his videos, so the clash feels right.

lazygecko

Elder Scrolls: Battlespire

I had no idea about the letter bundled in the box. That's pretty funny.

Dear Elder Scrolls Fan:

Thank you for purchasing Battlespire, first chapter in our new Elder Scrolls Legend series. I know that it will bring you many hours of enjoyment and allow you to escape the earthly bounds of mortal toil - at least for a little while!

Battlespire is a unique hybrid that has been created in response to the thousands of requests from our loyal Elder Scrolls series fans for a shorter and more detailed area in which they could explore different realms of Tamriel, the world of the Elder Scrolls. Battlespire is the first installment of this new series, which we have entitled the "Legend Series". The Legend Series focuses on pivotal times in Tamriel's history and brings a deeper but narrower focus to particular aspects of the great myths of those periods.

In Battlespire, the chapter begins by pitting you against Mehrunes Dagon, the evil Daedra Lord and ally of Jagar Tharn, traitorous Imperial Battlemage and sworn enemy of Tamriel, first exposed in the Elder Scrolls chapter entitled, TES I: Arena. It is up to you to vanquish Dagon's evil by strength, thought, and cunning.

Whereas you create or take on the role of a particular character in both the Classic Elder Scrolls as well as the Legend Series, in the Adventure Series you get to play a famous historical character and alter history according to your actions. The world of Tamriel is the same, but the manner and style of play (as well as the eventual outcome) are quite different. The first chapter of the new Adventure Series is entitled Redguard and has been causing quite a stir here as Bethesda for its humor as well as its visual richness and depth. And to answer those of you who are always asking how it is progressing, the next tour-de-force chapter in the Classic Series, TES III: Morrowind, is on track for late 1998 to break the barriers of role playing yet again and reward the player with a vast world beyond imagination.

Bethesda is one of the pioneers in the entertainment software industry and the only veteran to have celebrated its twelve year anniversary under the same management. In this age of giant public conglomerates, Bethesda has remained true to its customers, bringing you cutting edge entertainment software. We have learned to place great value on your comments and take them to heart in ways that our larger competitors do not. Battlespire is the beginning of a hybrid genre based on your input. Please help us refine it by continuing to give us the benefit of your opinions and suggestions in order to make our products the best. We promise to do our part.

Thank you for your support and enjoy Battlespire!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That first video makes me miss how non standard PC game boxes were. And part of the fun was exploring the boxes themselves, etc.

snarge

Huh, just saw this thread pop up and recognized the name because he was one of the very very very few people to review an old game of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6FvzNnRpiA

Found his review for it to be great and insightful. I enjoyed the humor and the added pictures. His footage of playing it was horrible though, haha. Get some skills, pal. Also, it was posted 6 years ago and omg I'm old.

Top Bottom