• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

Weekly reminder that Breezy doesn't play this game.

what's that

rakan and xayah were completely fine(rakan needing some buffs) when they came out despite you crying rakan would be op

funny how someone who doesn't play can call it better than someone who can

JulianImp

Oh man, I'm thinking the Righteous Glory changes might again result in splash damage for poor old Singed. 10% CDR on ult and some armor is probably a bad trade for losing our on catalyst's passives, and the forced slow aoe activation when you get close to a target means it'll probably be popping against the enemy frontline most of the time, while before you could hold it in until you got to their backline.

Oh man, I'm thinking the Righteous Glory changes might again result in splash damage for poor old Singed. 10% CDR on ult and some armor is probably a bad trade for losing our on catalyst's passives, and the forced slow aoe activation when you get close to a target means it'll probably be popping against the enemy frontline most of the time, while before you could hold it in until you got to their backline.
Singed is getting changes too

zkylon

zkylewd
those are some cool ass skins. yasuo is not as good as riven but still pretty cool

kinda bummed that they spent a pairing set of skins and didn't do anything lore related. like a noxian commander riven and a young trainee yasuo or something

that's dope

the costumes were great, that raken was so good

also the 360 video editing cracked me up lol

zkylon

zkylewd
the theory on reddit that the riven and yasuo skins would only be unlockable with honor to make riven and yasuo mains to stop being massive assholes (except ferrio... i like ferrio) is hilarious

they should totally do that, for vayne and lee sin too

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
the theory on reddit that the riven and yasuo skins would only be unlockable with honor to make riven and yasuo mains to stop being massive assholes (except ferrio... i like ferrio) is hilarious

they should totally do that, for vayne and lee sin too

Negative honor and toxic players can only play Soraka and Janna. League would explode.

zkylon

zkylewd
btw on the patch:
- i like the ahri nerfs. i'm not sure if she needed compensation buffs but they're pretty minor and kind of help direct her towards an assassin playstyle so i don't mind much. i think ahri could use a better w and maybe some changes on her passive (i think passive scaling with her missing health might be a good idea). w is just kind of a boring, mostly mindless spell that overlaps too much with her ult. something short ranged like that isn't a bad idea but probably add a timing or positioning element to it that's a bit more involved than this
- syndra got a nice love tap that adds counterplay so i think that's a really good change. she probably will get more nerfs since she's popular in comp
- i like the yasuo nerfs cos he already got too many zoning tools and 10s was just too much
- also really appreciate the warning indicator on zac since that's one of the things i always hated about playing against him

- banshee changes are really good imo, delaying it makes laning and early-mid game more interesting and it's now more slot efficient for late which is nice. i still think they should've swapped the icons but kept the names (so if you look at the scoreboard you can easily tell who has the spellshield, but if you want to search the store you're not wasting time writing abyssal every game like i do now...)

good patch for non mid stuff too it seems. malzahar and maokai sound less annoying and good changes all around

Negative honor and toxic players can only play Soraka and Janna. League would explode.
that'd be great

toxic players sentenced to a hundred games of janna

JulianImp

Singed is getting changes too

Fling got considerably cheaper at lower ranks and got a 2% AP ratio now, but %hp damage no longer scales up; if the 2% actually applies to the %hp damage, then that means he'll be forced to build more AP items rather than the old righteous glory + portal build (which is probably dead anyway since he really liked the catalyst's passive abilities for extra sustain.

Then his ult also got cheaper, but would now last a lot less early and gives less stats, and the posion trail duration buff doesn't really sound all that good as a trade-off.

zkylon

zkylewd
details on honor: https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.c...r-moderation/vXWH79WM-fight-with-honor-on-pbe

big things are:
- you don't get keys at the end of a game anymore but "periodically". i don't know if it's tied to wins like now, but that sounds like really bad tbh lol. i don't get this change
- honor doesn't do anything for keys, except locking you out if you're toxic and go under the base honor level
- honor doesn't go down unless you're toxic, and you naturally get honor by playing and not being toxic, altho getting those mvp votes helps
- at higher honor levels you can get a loading screen flair when you receive honor, but it only lasts one game so you gotta be consistent to get it? i feel this is such a small reward no one will really care about it
- more rewards at honor lvl 4 and 5 but they don't say which.

it's kind of underwhelming tho they seem to have taken many precautions to make it hard to abuse so it'll be harmless at worst i guess

i don't understand the key change, tho i guess the post game lobby can be really busy if you like have to do the mvp vote, level up a champion mastery, get a chest, get a key and whatnot

but idk, it's weird

also this is really good

5_bot_by_hozure-dbayqj0.png

all three adc faces would make good avatars

details on honor: https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.c...r-moderation/vXWH79WM-fight-with-honor-on-pbe

big things are:
- you don't get keys at the end of a game anymore but "periodically". i don't know if it's tied to wins like now, but that sounds like really bad tbh lol. i don't get this change
- honor doesn't do anything for keys, except locking you out if you're toxic and go under the base honor level
- honor doesn't go down unless you're toxic, and you naturally get honor by playing and not being toxic, altho getting those mvp votes helps
- at higher honor levels you can get a loading screen flair when you receive honor, but it only lasts one game so you gotta be consistent to get it? i feel this is such a small reward no one will really care about it
- more rewards at honor lvl 4 and 5 but they don't say which.

it's kind of underwhelming tho they seem to have taken many precautions to make it hard to abuse so it'll be harmless at worst i guess

i don't understand the key change, tho i guess the post game lobby can be really busy if you like have to do the mvp vote, level up a champion mastery, get a chest, get a key and whatnot

but idk, it's weird
Nah, it seems like key fragments are no longer tied to wins but to not being a dick which is a big upgrade and once you hit level 3 honor you have a chance at getting capsules with loot.

zkylon

zkylewd
Nah, it seems like key fragments are no longer tied to wins but to not being a dick which is a big upgrade and once you hit level 3 honor you have a chance at getting capsules with loot.
yeah actually thinking about it again, it's removing one skinner box element from the game so yeah that's a good change

this does make it really apparent that key fragments could just be replaced by actual keys on a longer drop rate right?

yeah actually thinking about it again, it's removing one skinner box element from the game so yeah that's a good change

this does make it really apparent that key fragments could just be replaced by actual keys on a longer drop rate right?

What if they made

Key Fragment Fragments

Collect 3 Key Fragment Fragments to make a key fragment

Ever

Banned
If they tie the Riven and Yasuo skins behind not being a dick, I'm going to powerlul.

That's something Riot should do for every toxic champ main. Put their best skin behind the honor system, so they have to be nice or never get it. Plus they should take 3 times as long as getting the next highest mastery. Well played.

I understood it like this: as long as you get honor in your last game, and you are above honor lvl 3, you get a flair for your next game.

(While being level 3 or +)
No honor in one game, no flair.
Honor after one game, flair for one game.

So if you keep playing without being toxic(and getting honor), you could keep the flair almost every game?

Rito said:
Honor level 3+ players earn loading screen flair by receiving honors.
◦◦◦ This flair lasts for one game.
◦◦◦ You get flair in your next game if two premade teammates, or one non-premade teammate honors you
◦◦◦ There's no cooldown on flair, so you earn it every game you meet the honor conditions above

Joco

A 6600k and a 1070 qualifies as low-spec? Or is low spec mode just getting automatically enabled by default for the client now?

I hope these new skins are linked to the honor system in some way.

Already got people fufuing the thought on reddit, saying shit like "You know what be real smart? Selling these skins to everyone who wants them so that they can bring in a gabibibiy amount of money!" but if a system is to have meaningful rewards they must must must allow the system to be gate way to something meaningful. Fancy ass skins are the most meaningful and apparent non-gameplay changing thing you can give a player imo.

Want to encourage good sportsmanship and honorable play? Giving 2 of the games most stereotypical toxic fanbases a skin that's amazing but locked behind a honor system would be a great gesture.

Like the Victory skins, anyone can get it if they put in the time and effort. It's their choice not to. "LOL, I can just spam Shen or Soraka until I get max honors and get the skin without ever being a non-toxic Yas!" Welp thats how many games w or l were you weren't a dick? And if you stay a dick on your main your honor goes down sooo ... link it to that to?

But I'm sure Riot wont do that, they like money too much.
(Maybe it will be a mix of honor + RP Loot Stuff???)

I hope these new skins are linked to the honor system in some way.

Already got people fufuing the thought on reddit, saying shit like "You know what be real smart? Selling these skins to everyone who wants them so that they can bring in a gabibibiy amount of money!" but if a system is to have meaningful rewards they must must must allow the system to be gate way to something meaningful. Fancy ass skins are the most meaningful and apparent non-gameplay changing thing you can give a player imo.

Want to encourage good sportsmanship and honorable play? Giving 2 of the games most stereotypical toxic fanbases a skin that's amazing but locked behind a honor system would be a great gesture.

Like the Victory skins, anyone can get it if they put in the time and effort. It's their choice not to.

But I'm sure Riot wont do that, they like money too much.
(Maybe it will be a mix of honor + RP Loot Stuff???)

I would be surprised if they skins were exclusive to the honor system. That's alot of money they're throwing away for good skins like demonblade/angelblade riven.

zkylon

zkylewd
considering they're both legendaries with a price i'd doubt they'll be exclusive to the honor system

maybe rito should do something like if you have like 4+ honor you can choose to "rent" any non ultimate skin (maybe non legendary either) for as long as you keep that honor level? then a second one at lvl 5 or something

that way you got two free skins of your choice in exchange for not flaming

or something, idk, that already sounds like way more than riot's willing to give

maybe like a ward at lvl 4 and a skin at lvl 5?

i would love to get a free ward since those are really overpriced and feel really shitty to spend money on

I would be surprised if they skins were exclusive to the honor system. That's alot of money they're throwing away for good skins like demonblade/angelblade riven.

That's the kicker, the only real way to make meaningful rewards for something like this is to "throw away money".

Summoner icons- Who really cares?
Loading Screen stuff- Again, will that make a difference?
Exclusive keystone mastery things- NO, that's effecting the gameplay for a select few.
Skins- completely optional? Yes. Worth time, effort and money? (Looks at the Hextech Annie whales) Yes. can motivate people to do shit?(Looks at the Hextech Annie whales) Yes.
RP- Literally throw away game money to people as a reward.

That was what stuck out to me when they talked about making systems with meaningful rewards for players. Nothings more meaningful than a hard to get skin for a champ you like and making some legendary skins stay behind a honor/ rp system that doesn't allow them to be flat out gotten from the shop wont put a dent in their wallet. They can probly cover the cost of a few of these and then some with a Ult Ahri skin.

But I don't think they will go that route. Hope they prove me wrong.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think it's key whatever they give away it's held for ransom in case you mess up your honor

if not ppl will just unlock it and go back to being your regular assholes

i think it's key whatever they give away it's held for ransom in case you mess up your honor

if not ppl will just unlock it and go back to being your regular assholes

I like that idea

That the skins are only available as long as you stay at honor 4/5. You unlock your choice at 4, the other one at 5. You drop down, you lose access.

Leezard

Better yet

You need Honor 5 to get Dawnbringer Riven to keep in line with the whole Order theme.

You need Honor 1 without ever being banned to get Nightbringer Yasuo, for that whole "don't follow the rules" Chaos theme.

Yes, this would be terrible.

faridmon

My last 2 games

First game, Lee Sin 0/8 by 20 min and Trynd 1/7

Second game, Yasuo 0/12 by 15 min

How am I supposed to win these two games?

I swear I know there is an algorithms that nets you with bad/trolls/bad matchups the more you win games in succession

Overcharger
+1% CDR per level, up to +10% CDR at level 10. Each percent of excess CDR is converted to +2 Ability Power or +1.4 Attack Damage, Adaptive.

Ugh. For a second I thought the new rune system would ditch free fucking CDR

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
If you guys have questions on runes, hit me up. One of the designers will answer and I'll post the answers here

Also devblog with more info here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/features/coming-preseason-runes-reforged

One of the tendencies I've seen over the years when it comes to balancing runes, keystones, and in some extent items is that you have a tendency to remove synergistic elements. For instance, Warlord and Fervor specifically worked great on certain champions innately because of the champion kit itself. Crits and heals works great on champions like Vayne that give the champion to do what it's meant to, be a duelist ADC that can truly hard carry. Unfortunately, keystones and items effectively are changed in regards to how they interact with specific champions or they are toned down drastically for everyone making them no longer feel like a meaningful, and in extension, a tool in your arsenal. Another example to cite is how Caitlyn's bolts no longer proc off of Runaan's (I understand this is items). The point is that your organization has a habit of making certain synergistic elements disappear when in reality, the interaction between runes, keystones, and items should be heightened on certain champions, and not so much on level playing field. Each keystone SHOULD in theory interact differently and it should show. How are you planning on making keystones feel like they matter and actually shows that it makes a difference than it is currently while maintaining balance?

EDIT: Oh this is runes. Nvm.

Tizoc

So I have enough BLUE essence to unlock Rakan.
I reroll into permanent and the upper part of the client states that he's been added but I get an error message stating that unlocking him failed due to server error. How do I resolve this?

Leezard

One of the tendencies I've seen over the years when it comes to balancing runes, keystones, and in some extent items is that you have a tendency to remove synergistic elements. For instance, Warlord and Fervor specifically worked great on certain champions innately because of the champion kit itself. Crits and heals works great on champions like Vayne that give the champion to do what it's meant to, be a duelist ADC that can truly hard carry. Unfortunately, keystones and items effectively are changed in regards to how they interact with specific champions or they are toned down drastically for everyone making them no longer feel like a meaningful, and in extension, a tool in your arsenal. Another example to cite is how Caitlyn's bolts no longer proc off of Runaan's (I understand this is items). The point is that your organization has a habit of making certain synergistic elements disappear when in reality, the interaction between runes, keystones, and items should be heightened on certain champions, and not so much on level playing field. Each keystone SHOULD in theory interact differently and it should show. How are you planning on making keystones feel like they matter and actually shows that it makes a difference than it is currently while maintaining balance?

EDIT: Oh this is runes. Nvm.

Keystones/runes/masteries are getting fused into the same new system, so your question should be valid.

edit: Has anyone here read the NA LCS article? Seems like it's getting franchising now, but there was a lot of content to digest so I haven't dug into it yet.

Runes today are a significant portion of what players unlock with IP, and making them free will have ripple effects on a lot of other things. Our current earning and rewards systems have a fair share of problems: new players face a huge grind before they can be competitive, and many veterans have piles of IP without anything to spend it on. So we’re going to take a step back and look at our earnings and rewards systems as a whole. We'll talk more about that stuff as we get closer to preseason.

Ooh a reward system rework. Gib more loot boxes pl0x. Just steal hots system. Thatd be fun.

zkylon

zkylewd
must be auto i guess? maybe that's what zky has going on too?
it's not that for me at least

riot support actually told me it's a bug they're gonna be looking to fix. i spoke to like 4 different rioters and reinstalled the game like three times

it's really weird

Ugh. For a second I thought the new rune system would ditch free fucking CDR
yeah me too. you get 10% at lvl 10 instead of 18 too, that's WAY earlier. i really think cooldowns should be longer across the board, but alas

the idea is kinda cool tho, 2 ap every 1% extra cdr is pretty good value and saves you from some bad builds where i'm like playing lizzy and i want morellos, zhonyas and protobelt, but i forgot to get mr runes instead of cdr. this happens to me too frequently so you know, now it wouldn't be nearly as wasteful

If you guys have questions on runes, hit me up. One of the designers will answer and I'll post the answers here

Also devblog with more info here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/features/coming-preseason-runes-reforged
so you choose a path and then like a secondary path?

i really think this is a topic rito should just explain in one go, have a video of it or something

it's like really hard to parse all that text

Keystones/runes/masteries are getting fused into the same new system, so your question should be valid.

edit: Has anyone here read the NA LCS article? Seems like it's getting franchising now, but there was a lot of content to digest so I haven't dug into it yet.

i only watched the video but yeah:
- franchising, no mention of which teams yet, but one can probably guess
- challenger is gonna be a thing for sister teams to play
- higher base salary and more money for teams (not detailed but i wouldn't be bothered to read it anyways)
- player's association to give them legal/financial advice and apparently for players to collectively voice their concerns to riot or something?

relegation is weird, i can see a point of teams like liquid or fox that seem to be invested into building a good team in the long run but are doing pretty shit for the time being, but idk, it's not like the big na teams struggle with it a lot. they all had their scares but that's how it works in real sports too. like i doubt removing relegation will be a positive change for the competitiveness of na lcs, it's probably not gonna be negative either, but it's not gonna make a big difference outside of making regi happy

what's weird is that it's na only. i can't imagine it not spreading to other regions

edit: on the eu article it says china is also getting franchising

Seems like there'll be incentives for winners and punishments for constant losers so it'll be fine I guess

Better implementation than I expected

zkylon

zkylewd
We are introducing limited-time loot we’d like you to test. Earn Order and Chaos Tokens by completing missions (or purchase them in the Store) to unlock special Icons, Borders, Emotes and Orbs. You can also purchase passes themed toward Order or Chaos, which grant you a Hextech Chest & Key, an Orb, a unique Ward, a multiplier that doubles the amount of tokens you earn on missions, and mission lines exclusive to the passes.
Orbs contain a guaranteed Legacy skin shard and a 50% chance to get a bonus drop. If your orb triggers a bonus drop, you’ll have a chance to get either a random amount of Tokens, two Gemstones, or a loot-exclusive skin shard.
Completing the special mission lines rewards you with Hextech Chests, Hextech Keys, Tokens, and even Gemstones.

i swear these events are harder to understand than the mastery changes....

i swear these events are harder to understand than the mastery changes....

you see you earn orbs
but you can earn orbs faster through buying them
or you can buy a season pass for orbs that increases the amount you get
and buying this pass gives you missions which give you more orbs
and orbs have a chance of giving you loot

.....it's a convoluted loot box system, essentially >_> This seems like something straight out of Maple Story.

- higher base salary and more money for teams (not detailed but i wouldn't be bothered to read it anyways)
- player's association to give them legal/financial advice and apparently for players to collectively voice their concerns to riot or something?

relegation is weird, i can see a point of teams like liquid or fox that seem to be invested into building a good team in the long run but are doing pretty shit for the time being, but idk, it's not like the big na teams struggle with it a lot. they all had their scares but that's how it works in real sports too. like i doubt removing relegation will be a positive change for the competitiveness of na lcs, it's probably not gonna be negative either, but it's not gonna make a big difference outside of making regi happy

what's weird is that it's na only. i can't imagine it not spreading to other regions

The LPL franchising was announced a little while back. They're even going regional where the teams get a hometown and stuff.

I think the idea is that NA culture doesn't really do relegations (none of our major sports use it) and that scares off investors (who are primarily coming from these sports). I'm sure a few people are a bit happier buying into an NA LCS spot knowing that one bad split won't cost you a ton of cash.

Leezard

it's not that for me at least

riot support actually told me it's a bug they're gonna be looking to fix. i spoke to like 4 different rioters and reinstalled the game like three times

it's really weird

yeah me too. you get 10% at lvl 10 instead of 18 too, that's WAY earlier. i really think cooldowns should be longer across the board, but alas

the idea is kinda cool tho, 2 ap every 1% extra cdr is pretty good value and saves you from some bad builds where i'm like playing lizzy and i want morellos, zhonyas and protobelt, but i forgot to get mr runes instead of cdr. this happens to me too frequently so you know, now it wouldn't be nearly as wasteful

so you choose a path and then like a secondary path?

i really think this is a topic rito should just explain in one go, have a video of it or something

it's like really hard to parse all that text

Ah, all right. It's huge for the NA scene. I saw a video with monte, thorin, noah Winston and a C9 boss, and Noah argued really well for franchising. I don't really get franchising that much since it's not really a thing in Europe, but the way Noah argued that it would be really good for the scene in the long term since a mid tier team wouldn't have to be afraid to make changes in case it doesn't work out and risk getting relegated. It promotes long term success according to him.

I think it's exciting to see, and it seems much more well thought out than the rumored overwatch franchising league.

Top Bottom