• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

JulianImp

So will Urgots ip/rp go up with the rework? Or do they just leave them at the price they are at?

I don't think I've ever seen a champion's price (or that of their skins) get changed in the ~2 years I've been playing, except for older champs dropping one tier price-wise whenever a new champion was released, so I don't think they'll bump prices up for Urgot.

Overall, he believes that the politics that dominate Noxus are a sham, and not representative of the pursuit of true strength (after Swain weaseled his way on top)

IM GLAD THEY RESPECT THE LORE FROM THE THE JOURNAL OF JUSTICE AND THAT TYRANT SWAIN IS CANON

I do take offense that they accuse swain of weaseling his way to the top. Swain got there through brute strength and masterful, clever tactics.

I've been off and on in very short spurts with league for at least 5 years so it's all new to me. This time I'm actually sticking with it and I've been really enjoying myself even though I'm mediocre at best. Main thing I've noticed is people aren't as rude as I thought they'd be. That will probably change once I hit 30 and do ranked though.

Newt

I've been off and on in very short spurts with league for at least 5 years so it's all new to me. This time I'm actually sticking with it and I've been really enjoying myself even though I'm mediocre at best. Main thing I've noticed is people aren't as rude as I thought they'd be. That will probably change once I hit 30 and do ranked though.
Find people are more rude pre level 30 than post from my experience.

Anyways,you can hop on this discord if you want tips/people to play with. Just make sure you introduce yourself :).

https://discord.gg/NUHT44Y

Lol we'll see. I've been playing Hots and people on there are super toxic
Really? The worst I have gotten in a couple hundred hours of hots is "you guys are idiots". Where as in LoL I'm afraid to even look at the chat sometimes. Although that might have more to do with the fact that I'm really bad.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I had tons of run-ins with toxic players in HotS and I couldn't understand it because the game is very casual and I was just doing normal matches or something. It is very rare for me to run into people that are super unpleasant in League. Could not really say why. The community generally just has an understanding of what is up. Overwatch is like the all time worst most toxic community imaginable. People go on out of control tirades or want to micromanage every other player on their team and approach it in a very aggressive manner. It's insane.

I had tons of run-ins with toxic players in HotS and I couldn't understand it because the game is very casual and I was just doing normal matches or something. It is very rare for me to run into people that are super unpleasant in League. Could not really say why. The community generally just has an understanding of what is up. Overwatch is like the all time worst most toxic community imaginable. People go on out of control tirades or want to micromanage every other player on their team and approach it in a very aggressive manner. It's insane.

LISTEN

IF YOU PICK NOVA I'M GOING TO PICK MURKY OK FUCK I WANT TO WIN BUT WHATEVER NOVA OVER HERE LOST IT FOR US

Yeah, toxicity in HotS is a real thing.

JulianImp

LAS is a bit of a crapshoot, mostly since the moment you type anything in chat that uses a word only someone from Chile or Argentina would use, any teammates you have that are from the other country will suddenly hate your guts because of some old and stupid rivalry between our countries.

I've had plenty of players being toxic in chat, but even then it's kind of easy to ignore them and go along with your life, and the new option to mute pings as well really helps when you know someone's just spamming "?" pings to piss teammates off (it's definitely one of my favorite new QoL features).

He's a juggernaut

A juggernaut with a slow, some mobility and 2-3 hard CCs (a displacement toss, a point and click execute blitz pull ult and a big ol aoe fear).

I demand they look into giving Illaoi slows on her Tent slaps again. I remember they put something like that on the PBE once.

Newt

I dunno, I've never seen any toxicity in heroes. Its such a casual game, most players don't really care.

From what I've seen people hardly even talk in heroes, and they ping a lot less too.

Leezard

I'm at level 100 or so in hots and it's quite a mixed bag. Most games I've played alone or as 2 are miserable. Some people ignore the big objective timer on the screen and then others flame them. It's really only fun in a 4 man or 5 man stack.
That's only qm, no ranked. I've not seen any flame for picks though that might be due to qm.

I'm at level 100 or so in hots and it's quite a mixed bag. Most games I've played alone or as 2 are miserable. Some people ignore the big objective timer on the screen and then others flame them. It's really only fun in a 4 man or 5 man stack.
That's only qm, no ranked. I've not seen any flame for picks though that might be due to qm.

yeah in ranked the stakes are higher, and some picks draw the ire of people who want you to pick what they want. Nova for example is a perma stealth assassin who's incredibly squishy with no escapes, and people get pissed off. She's like teemo in that sense.

Not unlike league. But it's something that's part of these games, I suppose.

What the hell happened to this game.

It's either too easy or impossible to win. Either way, I feel nothing. Some kind of normalization needs to happen. Having a lead is just absolutely suffocating for the other side.

zkylon

zkylewd
2 of my last 3 wins were comebacks, i don't really think that's a problem with the game, the team with the lead should have a bigger % of winning or else leads mean nothing

it's a tricky thing to balance and it's been bad in the past but i feel it's pretty great atm

I dunno. I feel like this "defense is the best offense" meta is so lame.

Like what is Syndra losing by going Banshee when ahead? 100 less damage in her rotation when she's overkilling you anyway? And in exchange she becomes virtually un-gankable because of the passive. Don't even get me started on PD/Death's Dance/GA/Maw etc. As if the abusers of those items needed more tools to get away with murder.

Or take Thresh. He gets an early lead and comes back with Eye of the Equinox while you're sitting on Frostfang and other components. Thresh now has 500 bonus health, a permanent 250 shield, and a bunch of health regen on top of CotC shield and W shield. Oh yeah and he does more burst damage than you and your ADC combined.

So now this guy gets to run around doing whatever the fuck he wants while you're forced to play like a bitch for the next 15 minutes. Does anyone like it this way? I get that we all put up with it because we love the game, but most of the time it just feels like one side gets to bully the other. It's not fun when you're on the receiving end and it's not satisfying when you're the bully.

Kalentan

snip double post? Somehow?
(Pressing tab on my main post to indent must have accidently made two posts enter?)

(Could a passing by mod delete this?)

Kalentan

I swear this is how matchmaking works in ranked:

if (promos_failed == true)
{
for (var n = 0; n < 4; n++)
{
if (user_promos = promos_failed || user_win = false)
{
group[n] = user;
}
}
}

Something like that. Pairs together people who are currently losing together.

Newt

for me its like

string [] team = new string [4];

if (game == promos)
{

team[0] = worthless_autofilled_tahmkench;
team[1] = feeding_riven_onetrick;
team[2] = borderline_inting_yasuo;
team[3] = powerfarming_rammus;

}

Kalentan

The balance just feels so much more off than it usually does.

It just doesn't feel fun. And the matchmaking does seem off.

It's not like a: "Oh I'm an amazing player being put on TERRIBLE teams. Pity me!"

It feels like it's making my team up of similar skilled players and then pairing them up against higher tiered players...

Basically when we make a good play, it's luck. When they make a good play, it's skill.

Like it's just a simple fact that the skill difference between the teams shouldn't be SO EASY to spot.

zkylon

zkylewd
that code wouldn't even work, you're indiscriminately using == and =

pls

and it's a weakly typed language

fucking GROSS

I dunno. I feel like this "defense is the best offense" meta is so lame.

Like what is Syndra losing by going Banshee when ahead? 100 less damage in her rotation when she's overkilling you anyway? And in exchange she becomes virtually un-gankable because of the passive. Don't even get me started on PD/Death's Dance/GA/Maw etc. As if the abusers of those items needed more tools to get away with murder.

Or take Thresh. He gets an early lead and comes back with Eye of the Equinox while you're sitting on Frostfang and other components. Thresh now has 500 bonus health, a permanent 250 shield, and a bunch of health regen on top of CotC shield and W shield. Oh yeah and he does more burst damage than you and your ADC combined.

So now this guy gets to run around doing whatever the fuck he wants while you're forced to play like a bitch for the next 15 minutes. Does anyone like it this way? I get that we all put up with it because we love the game, but most of the time it just feels like one side gets to bully the other. It's not fun when you're on the receiving end and it's not satisfying when you're the bully.
i think banshees on every mid every game is really annoying but you're mixing up a lot of stuff that doesn't necessarily belong in the same category

alledged problems i see you're highlighting:
- mixed offense-defense items being too strong
- snowballing being too strong

personally i think the latter is totally bonkers, snowballing is imo at a really healthy spot at the moment. team winning stays winning until they make a mistake or get outplayed, but now with rift herald there are proper objectives to trade and they've tuned down junglers a lot to the point it's no longer 100% decided by which jungler snowballs best

the offense-defense items, idk, i definitely hate when me and enemy mid both have banshees and it becomes really difficult to make a move on them, but people don't tend to rush banshees and i'm spamming ori so it's not like she's too bothered by it hehe. hexdrinker is annoying but it has always been, and ad mids aren't super strong right now so w/e. i would like a nerf/change to banshees but it's not that serious

the thresh bit just feels like a big exaggeration, specially cos you're not explaining who you're comparing him to? if it's someone like zyra then no way he's having more burst than you and other than that yeah comparing completed items to lack thereof is just regular gameplay. if i have morellos and the other player has fiendish codex and lost chapter then i have a ton more ap, 10% more cdr, grievous wounds, i'm gonna be in a big lead. that's not new and "playing like a bitch" is such a weird thing to say, just dodge his hook and poke him out, or wait for a gank. this is how it's always been when you're fighting with a disadvantage

snowballing is important cos it makes games focused and narratively interesting, it puts one side on the driver seat with both the responsibility to turn leads into bigger leads and the stat advantages to make aggressive moves, while setting up the stage for epic comebacks and all that shit. sneaking a baron is really easy this season and there's playmaking champions on every role so you can almost always turn a game with a great orianna ult or insec or ashe arrow or whatever. there are a lot of strong lategame champions you can use like karthus or kogmaw so an early lead doesn't mean it's all over.

so yeah imo the game feels really good right now, i feel most of the issues you raise are things that are integral for how the game has always worked and it's not worse now...

zkylon

zkylewd
really like this star guardian series

LGHz6nt.jpg

Q1YmAq9.jpg

0OiMWRn.jpg

ElYrRVx.jpg

ACwnQwu.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I can't say that I notice many things that lie well outside what feels balanced right now. Feels weird to see people complain about the meta or something. Same goes for items. Offensive/defensive mix is definitely not worth rushing and if you're actually good at the game you'll just stomp early and can build lots of damage or something. Also if someone is ahead you're probably not ganking them anyways so........??? Only think I am a little cold to is the support meta. ADC choices are in a good place but I don't usually like when the lane is easy for Janna/Soraka/Sona to run amok. Even there though you can still pick high skill cap champs like Rakan or Tahm Kench and still do really well though if you know what you are doing. Jungle meta is generally very good and I feel good about top lane too.

Worth remembering that LoL used to be a LOT more snowbally than it is now, when creeps were worth more gold, vision domination was much more brutal and gold sapping to contest, stacking Bloodthirster was a thing, Dragons gave gold, and Baron buff gave massive HP/mana regen. Top laners used to run Ignite too, so that lane was uber-snowbally (although this was a macro error by players, as TP was actually the better spell, but very few knew). There were fewer catch up experience mechanics too (e.g. where you kill a higher level player or do a higher level jungle camp and get a boost in xp rewarded).

killatopak

Gold Member
I miss the ignite meta. I only played that meta for a few months before tp became more popular.

ignite top lane meant there were a lot of small fights happening. That made top lane very exciting and was the reason I mained top. Because dragon was at bot side, there was little reason for the junglers to go to top which means it's mostly one on one which I absolutely love.

Now that tp is meta, I get a lot more tanky top who just farms and waits for tp opportunity in bot lane which is pretty damn boring.

DevilDog

So this happened, enemy team had lots of people who could insta kill me, and everyone but poppy.

rAMRkbB.png

They had no tanks yet they still won, they had full map control all the time cause my team would just die in a 1v1 and everyone was too mobile.

Anyone sees any obvious flaws here? I couldn't carry harder because everyone would just jump me, and even if i killed 2 out of the 3 people the rest of my team would die.

drawkcaB

I quite like the current state of balance myself, and it's nice to have relatively early in the season. Going by memory from the past few years, it takes until the last few months of the season for me to feel this way and we're already here in early July, so props to Riot given how cluster fucky pre-season early Spring where for balance.

As interested as I am in the rune rework, and whatever other changes Riot decides to make, it's unfortunate that it'll fuck everything up for a few months. But I suppose it's like major road construction - the end will be worth it.

Whatever issues I have with balance is on a champ-by-champ basis or have to do with old kits that need reworks to be made relevant.

Anyone sees any obvious flaws here? I couldn't carry harder because everyone would just jump me, and even if i killed 2 out of the 3 people the rest of my team would die.

Huge disparity in assists makes me thing you guys were getting picked off non-stop. Your team comp is significantly better in teamfights. Without seeing the actual game, my gut tells me your team should have grouped and just bulldozed your way down a lane, take a tower, rinse and repeat. Then again, it's an hour long game. Throw everything out the window, team comps, farm, dragons, etc. - winner is whichever team that didn't fuck up at the end, and that sadly wasn't yours.

So this happened, enemy team had lots of people who could insta kill me, and everyone but poppy.

They had no tanks yet they still won, they had full map control all the time cause my team would just die in a 1v1 and everyone was too mobile.

You got outscaled by a 5 threat team while having a kind of weak late game and little peel for your carries.

Basically you should have ended the game at 30 minutes

Newt

rAMRkbB.png

No MAW vs fed Akali, no blue trinket when you lack map control, going overkill with lifesteal by going death's dance and BT.

zkylon

zkylewd
I quite like the current state of balance myself, and it's nice to have relatively early in the season. Going by memory from the past few years, it takes until the last few months of the season for me to feel this way and we're already here in early July, so props to Riot given how cluster fucky pre-season early Spring where for balance.

As interested as I am in the rune rework, and whatever other changes Riot decides to make, it's unfortunate that it'll fuck everything up for a few months. But I suppose it's like major road construction - the end will be worth it.

Whatever issues I have with balance is on a champ-by-champ basis or have to do with old kits that need reworks to be made relevant.

yeah i guess that's just league, keeping things fresh means they have to make a mess for themselves to fix every few months

i agree, they've done a really good job this year, i was really unhappy with how strong junglers were earlier in the season but now it feels like every player is really important

faridmon

I feel the new meta really favours the aggressive plays and lane pressure since first turret gets easily destroyed with a kill and a gank

If you are playing against Cait/jynx with say Lulu/Janna, say good bye to turret in the first 10 mins

Top Bottom