• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

Reinboom

Neo Member
not sure, probably more complete examples (how do i go into idk orianna vs zed now or whatever) or more interesting runes, like more like the boots rune or the bank credit rune

also would like details on things that interest me like how they arrived to the current skill trees, why do they have this many higher and lower runes, why not just do only big runes, why do these skill trees and not others, if they're gonna add new skill trees, etc.

some things that come to mind atm

Ahhh, orianna vs zed definitely has a star rune. I'll mention it again when we show the rune. I'm getting the sense you will generally enjoy the inspiration path when we can preview more of it.

Paths: We chose 5 paths because... we grew to it. We started at 4, then kept going up to 5 (and once 6) and down to 4 over the course of development. 5 was how many we think we could deliver in a complete manner (measuring how long it got us to "good" for a lot of runes) by release, while appropriately challenging current design space.

Long term, we want more paths (that could change as we learn more though). The "testing decision making" runes like Store Credit and Magical Footwear we currently believe is the best place to grow for those new paths as well, but they are very unproven design spaces for League right now. But they also just take a LOT of new tech - the entire purchasing behavior for items had to be rebuilt to make adding these kinds of things easier - so we can't do all the things at once.

Internally, we've had different mixes of interactivity on runes. When it pushes too far, there was far too much to track. This got worse the higher MMR people were internally as well, since there was a greater desire to wanting to track all of that stuff as well. We also lost a lot of feel good functional "make sets of champions work" decisions. Like... "I need MS against some matchups as Aurelion Sol". We found the current mix a decent balance. Though, I'm expecting this may change a bit as the system is learned.

As more runes corner things or dev blogs come out, I'll also try to get these mentioned again. :)

zkylon

zkylewd
M4zD7Z1.png

i feel like you shouldn't be able to get autofills for top and mid at the same time

like i need someone to cover for my feeding

Leezard

Ahhh, orianna vs zed definitely has a star rune. I'll mention it again when we show the rune. I'm getting the sense you will generally enjoy the inspiration path when we can preview more of it.

Paths: We chose 5 paths because... we grew to it. We started at 4, then kept going up to 5 (and once 6) and down to 4 over the course of development. 5 was how many we think we could deliver in a complete manner (measuring how long it got us to "good" for a lot of runes) by release, while appropriately challenging current design space.

Long term, we want more paths (that could change as we learn more though). The "testing decision making" runes like Store Credit and Magical Footwear we currently believe is the best place to grow for those new paths as well, but they are very unproven design spaces for League right now. But they also just take a LOT of new tech - the entire purchasing behavior for items had to be rebuilt to make adding these kinds of things easier - so we can't do all the things at once.

Internally, we've had different mixes of interactivity on runes. When it pushes too far, there was far too much to track. This got worse the higher MMR people were internally as well, since there was a greater desire to wanting to track all of that stuff as well. We also lost a lot of feel good functional "make sets of champions work" decisions. Like... "I need MS against some matchups as Aurelion Sol". We found the current mix a decent balance. Though, I'm expecting this may change a bit as the system is learned.

As more runes corner things or dev blogs come out, I'll also try to get these mentioned again. :)

Cool, it's interesting to read this stuff.

zkylon

zkylewd
ori spam feels really good, she's probably a bit too strong atm but i feel a lot more proud of my wins than when i'm playing anivia lol

also randomly looking through old files i just found this

jVTyiMk.png

i miss tales of valoran so much...

Seeing that we have 2 ritos, can I ask if it safe to spend ip on runes/pages at the moment?

After the last time someone did a post on the league subreddit 'According to Rioter on GAF' my assumption is that you won't (but obviously they'll speak for themselves in the end).

yes i'm a free agent LCS :^)

Me shoot arrows good. Also feels good to not completely shit the bed with an unnecessary mistake in laning phase. Like getting hooked.

I wonder if they changed his shotgun knees to fire spurts because I made fun of them.

If urgot is soon, surely that means Swain has a chance this year, right?

zkylon

zkylewd
urgot looks great, really cool design and his abilities look really fun to use

what's locked onto mean tho? did i miss where they explain it?

Quonny

urgot looks great, really cool design and his abilities look really fun to use

what's locked onto mean tho? did i miss where they explain it?

If you hit a champion with Q they get 'locked on'. Normally, your legs just shoot at the closest target with W (including minions behind you or whatever), but if an enemy is within that circle you hit them with Q, your shotgun legs will prioritize them.

The big problem is that if you're in the middle of a team fight doesn't that make your W way worse since you'll just be sitting on leg charges if the Q target doesn't walk into one of those quadrants? Just thinking out loud.

If you hit a champion with Q they get 'locked on'. Normally, your legs just shoot at the closest target with W (including minions behind you or whatever), but if an enemy is within that circle you hit them with Q, your shotgun legs will prioritize them.

The big problem is that if you're in the middle of a team fight doesn't that make your W way worse since you'll just be sitting on leg charges if the Q target doesn't walk into one of those quadrants? Just thinking out loud.
No, that's not how it works. Legs hit all targets in their direction and are triggered either by auto attacks in the same direction as the leg or with the rapidfire attacks from W.

What gets lock on priority is the machine gun. Basically his W turns him into a moving sentry turret that can trigger his passive as he walks around and locking on picks a target instead of closest enemy unit. You also lock in with his E and ult, not just Q.

zkylon

zkylewd
that's kind of interesting, so i guess the idea is he's like a walking tank thing, that's neat

he looks like he has some waveclear to him, maybe he'll be able to mid

he kind of reminds me of nu galio, all his abilities are very explosive and chunky

Quonny

No, that's not how it works. Legs hit all targets in their direction and are triggered either by auto attacks in the same direction as the leg or with the rapidfire attacks from W.

Ah, got it now.

I just assumed it activated your legs, I didn't see the little auto cannon.

Alright, the whole kit makes a whole lot more sense now.

Are you guys seriously worried about his mobility with that super short ranged dash? lol

On an unrelated note, he better have a GET IN MY BELLY quote somewhere

JulianImp

Finally, a use for my crabgod skin!
My teammates will probably hate me for playing him toplane at first, though.

Goy my cousin to play three ranked games with me yesterday and today, and we won all three so I got back to B3. Still, we got lucky because the awful players were on the enemy teams all the time (I bet that dealing nearly as much damage to champions as the enemy jungler when playing Nami wouldn't happen in an evenly matched game, and yet here it happened twice). Hopefully things keep going smoothly and my cousin's first ranked placements end up putting him in a decent division, and even if they don't playing with him is still a lot more fun than playing with four strangers.

killatopak

Gold Member
Finally, a use for my crabgod skin!
My teammates will probably hate me for playing him toplane at first, though.

Goy my cousin to play three ranked games with me yesterday and today, and we won all three so I got back to B3. Still, we got lucky because the awful players were on the enemy teams all the time (I bet that dealing nearly as much damage to champions as the enemy jungler when playing Nami wouldn't happen in an evenly matched game, and yet here it happened twice). Hopefully things keep going smoothly and my cousin's first ranked placements end up putting him in a decent division, and even if they don't playing with him is still a lot more fun than playing with four strangers.

nice. you're back. playing with someone you know always reinvigorates the drive to play.

JulianImp

nice. you're back. playing with someone you know always reinvigorates the drive to play.

I only really planned to stop playing solo, and I guess I'll stand by that decission after these last few games I've had. Even if we lose it's still infinitely more fun to do so with a friend or two (or four), and I think the voice chat helps keep the atmosphere more fun and easygoing than when I'm on my own.

Like, even when the jungler, adc and myself were throwing the early game due to dumb mistakes on the last match we played (cousin plays top, so he wasn't to blame for our deaths), I was able to laugh it off with him and we did catch up to them in the end. Had I been alone, I think I could've kept playing, but wouldn't have had such a good attitude by comparison, and that could've impacted my individual and team-based plays negatively as well.

JulianImp

Talking about key fragments, I got two of them earlier today when I logged in, meaning I now have three full keys and one leftover fragment... too bad I'll only be getting to use them when (AR)URF comes back or at the start of next season.

Seriously, I think the one-box-per-champ-per-season stuff is pretty punishing unless you both own and play a wide variety of champions well enough to get good ranks on your matches.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's one box per champion you own also, so you can't get one for a champion you got randomly in aram if u don't own it

i don't find it too restrictive tho, i always have like 10 unopened chests

Urgot looks cool. That ult *will* tilt people. And lol @ his E being Diablo's charge in HoTS.

Oh shit it is Diablos Q+E isnt it? I did not notice that the first time around.

Too bad his ult doesnt conjure sigils that appear under each opponent that deal aoe damage+stuns for 2 seconds >_>

Top Bottom