• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

killatopak

Gold Member
When I first started playing League, the very first advice given to me was just to choose and buy my favorite champs and save the rest until I get to 30 which is when all rune slots became available.

Runes definitely stagger new players but removing them doesn't mean increasing champion costs is okay since they are still time consuming by themselves.

I've been playing for 3 years already but I still have 26 champions to buy. That goes to show how hard it is to increase champion pool.

I think if they want to increase champion cost, they need to make the 450 ip champs free.

i mean...it is not that hard if you have been playing for years. i have tons of hours on this game and have been playing it forever and i still do not have all champs. for a new player i think the path to a larger champion pool is way too long.
Oh, it's definitely not something that can't be improved further. 450 IP champs should have been made free a long time ago.

zkylon

zkylewd
i've been playing for like 5 years, often times every day for like 3 hours or more, and probably only have like half the roster?

i don't mind tho, i don't think that's a good metric to use, in league you're not supposed to own all the champions

but building a roster you enjoy is good which is why i think my system is flawless :>

Sorry, I meant that it was a prediction and just speculation on my part.

They said that the economy of IP is going to change with the rune changes. They specifically said that they needed to adjust how much IP things would cost now that there isn't the rune IP sink.

I can definitely see new champs being 9.2k, with the 6.3k champs becoming 7.8k. They would give a months or so notice on this. I also could see them softening the blow of this change for new players by offering all 450 champions for free and offering all 1350 champions for free after a quest chain, as to not overwhelm new players with 20+ champions at the start. Plus have quests for IP boosts for new players. There are a lot of ways they can use the quest system to help new players.

that's dumb why did u say it like that lol

anyways i think they probably won't do something like that cos even if thanks to runes you actually have more ip than before, i think it's a really ugly pr move to raise prices like that

like you may be like "bottom line you can buy more champions!" but the 6300->9200 thing is a really hard sell

i would like a system like i outlined above, i think that's the most sensible thing

but i also think that they should overall make it easier to buy champions (after all, the more champions people play probably means more skins sold, i'm sure most people aren't sick like me and only buy one skin per champion, 2 max)

like on top of making runes free, ofc

They could at least make it so that whenever a new champ is released, the oldest cheapest champ becomes free.

New players still get a 100+ champion gap, but at least it won't get any worse over time.

zkylon

zkylewd
zPiv3HF.jpg

cmon rito i want my new ahri skin

also i just counted, i have 86 champions, which means i have like 65%, and i've been playing for like 5 years. it's like 40 champions too much for me, but to me it shows how little it matters to have own champions

zPiv3HF.jpg

cmon rito i want my new ahri skin

There's that SG Ahri leak. But I personally think that it's just early concept art for the wave of SG skins to come after the leaked Syndra and EZ skins.

So I think it's a next year skin. But on the plus side, maybe it will be Legendary like Jinx.

Kalentan

Man sometimes it's better to think someone was trolling than simply be that bad. This fucking Galio was midding against a Jarvan and even when he clearly was doing no damage with no back up, would try to 1v1 him and die every time.

zkylon

zkylewd
dark_star_orianna_by_midorinemurase-dbf28r1.jpg

really like this ori

kind of wish i liked that skin more, it's the kind of skin i think is made less good because there's so many on that series already

in general i feel like series like those make every skin feel less individually valuable

i was kinda thinking about that today, pulsefire cait is a really great skin but it does take away a lot from ezreal's skin to have another one in the same line

like if they were to make a cheaper elementalist skin then lux's would feel a lot less unique

i wouldn't have that big of a deal with it but since it's so expensive you'd think uniqueness would be a big part of the draw, right?

zkylon

zkylewd
also i guess it speaks to kayn's tone deaf edginess that there's so little fanart of him around

generally champions don't get too much fanart before release but he's pretty bad

JulianImp

Now I remember why I mostly stopped playing after my 5-man team stopped getting together to play... randoms are freaking absurd to play with. I'm not even enjoying the game since the whole thing boils down to 2-3 players on either being total clowns and losing the game for their team.

I feel like both the community and the game itself are toxic and a waste of my time when playing alone, so I guess I'll go back on hiatus pretty soon.

Calvero

Banned
Now I remember why I mostly stopped playing after my 5-man team stopped getting together to play... randoms are freaking absurd to play with. I'm not even enjoying the game since the whole thing boils down to 2-3 players on either being total clowns and losing the game for their team.

I feel like both the community and the game itself are toxic and a waste of my time when playing alone, so I guess I'll go back on hiatus pretty soon.
Isn't this why the separated solo and flex? For people who want to five man

Newt

This is why you play ranked.

Taliyah is so frustrating to play for me. Either my Q is just a tad shy of hitting, or I hit the entirety of Q but it just tickles. I've been on the receiving end of her Q and it usually hurts.

Bacon

also i guess it speaks to kayn's tone deaf edginess that there's so little fanart of him around

generally champions don't get too much fanart before release but he's pretty bad

Lamest champion since Aatrox easily. Dunno how they thought this edgelord shit would fly in 2017 but here we are.

JulianImp

This is why you play ranked.

Um, did you not get the part where I said all these games were in (ranked) soloq?

I even just got demoted to B4 thanks to getting even more games where my lane does so-so to good, but then the team constantly gets picked off 1v5 (because reasons), one or two enemy champions get absurd scores like a 9/1/12 Fizz last game, and nobody appears to pay attention to objectives at all. Really fun times, I tell you!

Isn't this why the separated solo and flex? For people who want to five man

Yeah, but my teammates are no longer logging in at all, so I'm back to playing alone and hating myself for it.

Newt

Um, did you not get the part where I said all these games were in (ranked) soloq?

I even just got demoted to B4 thanks to getting even more games where my lane does so-so to good, but then the team constantly gets picked off 1v5 (because reasons), one or two enemy champions get absurd scores like a 9/1/12 Fizz last game, and nobody appears to pay attention to objectives at all. Really fun times, I tell you!
I know this may sound kinda dickish, but I swear I'm trying to be legit here. If you're in B4, especially on a server like LAS, you really need to put in the time to learn the game first.

You're not gonna enjoy the game if you lack the basic mechanics of it.

JulianImp

Okay, I'm done.

Just got paired with a Syndra that went 0/6/1 in the early game, afked in our jungle to give them one last kill, and then even came back some time later, said "I'mma farm now" and promptly walked into the jungle to die again...

Seriously, what the heck? I staid positive while my Draven was styling on the enemy team and it looked like we still had a chance in spite of the crappy Syndra, but even then teammates would randomly walk into the 3-item Kat and say "whoops, I didn't get to kill her" (we even had a Trynda that always failed to ult against her due to her crazy burst) and we were constantly playing with 1-2 less players to defend objectives, all while my surrender votes were constantly vetoed 4-to-1.

@Newt: I concistently have the best vision score in all my games, keep an average KDA ratio between 3 to 5 on Nami, land nearly all of my bubbles, know how to properly harass in lane with E and W, purchase many more wards than the other nine players combined, and all these games I've had I've been watching the map, pinging missing players or people who entered vision. I'm also pretty good at trading in lane with my ADC. I can last-hit reliably, know about wave management and back timings and pick my build paths based on how the game's going. I even take my time to explain to teammates when we're behind that we shouldn't be walking all the way into the river when we're lacking in vision (since nobody wards, of course), and I can't save my teammates when they're jumping into 2v4s and spending all their skills on the enemy tank as soon as a teamfight breaks out.

I really like brand, but i suck ass with him mid. How the fuck you farm with this guy?

Seems I can only make him work support T_T.

Burn......baby.........burn.

zkylon

zkylewd
more on runes: https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/developer-corner/MZd3jemX-runes-content-development-peek

i really don't get why riot talks so much about runes when they're just different flavored masteries, these articles aren't very insightful or interesting, and the result is very underwhelming imo, all that talk for idk get more ap if you're over 80% hp?

idk what riot's doing

Getting a key fragment on log in is all right.

yeah that's kinda cool i guess but i think it feels better as a result of something like winning a game?

like opening the client and randomly getting a key sounds really unceremonious heh

Taliyah is so frustrating to play for me. Either my Q is just a tad shy of hitting, or I hit the entirety of Q but it just tickles. I've been on the receiving end of her Q and it usually hurts.
in the end the bulk of her dmg is in her full w->e->q thing so just poking around with q won't get u very far

she's not like ori that gets to chunk you out for half ur hp every time w is up, she's gotta work pretty hard to land that w->e combo

if she does tho, you're dead

also what are u building? like morellos->rylais->abyssal or something?

Lamest champion since Aatrox easily. Dunno how they thought this edgelord shit would fly in 2017 but here we are.
i think he's pretty lame, yeah. someone like camille has a ton more personality while also being like an edgelord (lady?) character

to me he feels really tone deaf in a really weird way, there's very ilttle redeeming qualities to his design i feel?

the kit sounds interesting but he feels like a step down from the quality you come to expect from rito designs

more on runes: https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/developer-corner/MZd3jemX-runes-content-development-peek

i really don't get why riot talks so much about runes when they're just different flavored masteries, these articles aren't very insightful or interesting, and the result is very underwhelming imo, all that talk for idk get more ap if you're over 80% hp?

idk what riot's doing

It's because they're basically Talents from Hots:

And the only reason I can see why they're drip feeding this info, is because this might be a system that they'll stick with for the forseeable future, probably to the point where the only major changes are nerfing the egregious talents or adding new ones.

So with all these blogs, it's essentially a matter of convincing the players that they should want this over runes/masteries. I'm sure there's players who still hold a torch for them.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's just a more condensed version of current masteries, there's no need to convince anyone cos there's nothing different

it's just a more condensed version of current masteries, there's no need to convince anyone cos there's nothing different

Condensed in the sense that WoWs current talent system is a condensed version of their old skill tree.

Let's face it, nobody liked putting 5 points into a box for a 2% increase each point, and yet people still whined and complained when they took that away. To this day there are still people complaining that the condensed talent tree is just a worse version than what it was originally.

And League had a system like that. Dump X points into 1 tree, and then some leftover points into another tree. This is about letting the people who liked that system down softly, so there won't be as much rage as Blizzard had wayback when they just killed the old tree.(Granted they beta'd that, but weren't as informative as Riots trying to be.)

I can see why they're slowly releasing info. Don't overwhelm the player, show them examples that will make them excited for it, and then release it with little to no pushback.

zkylon

zkylewd
this is just some rioter being more enamored with their own work than it needs be

you're just using whatever excuse to talk about hots

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Transparency is critical to how Riot operates with their regular patch cycle...so obviously they are going to talk about stuff a lot if it's a big change. I would imagine that they've also wanted to adjust how masteries and runes work for a long time now so this is probably a project that has been going on for ages, and they want to surface information about it to get early feedback.

this is just some rioter being more enamored with their own work than it needs be

you're just using whatever excuse to talk about hots

nah, this isn't Riot going 'we're so good, let's milk ourselves some more'. If tomorrow they changed the whole system to the new rune system without any warning, people would be bitching and complaining about it. That's just a fact.

Transparency is critical to how Riot operates with their regular patch cycle...so obviously they are going to talk about stuff a lot if it's a big change. I would imagine that they've also wanted to adjust how masteries and runes work for a long time now so this is probably a project that has been going on for ages, and they want to surface information about it to get early feedback.

Dimb gets it.

I only like bringing up to HotS because I like having my cake and eating it, too.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
yeah not sure why zky is so down on the upcoming rune/mastery changes, why would you want less info rather than more?

zkylon

zkylewd
they almost never talk about stuff this early in development, and specially this much

if they want feedback they should actually present information in a precise and complete manner, not do vague rants on specific stuff that's not really important

yeah not sure why zky is so down on the upcoming rune/mastery changes, why would you want less info rather than more?
i don't want more information, i just think the information they present is poor

How are they supposed to present information in a precise and complete manner when they are still months away and the details are not finished?

Zky pls

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This is like bitching and moaning about the following year's pre-season patch like 6 months beforehand. We rarely get this much detail until like 2 months before pre-season. Come the fuck on

zky it sounds like simply isn't information that you want. That's fine, but to others like me, I find it fascinating to see their adaptation of this system, if only because it reminds me of HotS.

zkylon

zkylewd
this is just a bad article with nothing to say, it's almost as useful as riot tweeting "yup, still working on runes". we don't need a reiteration that new runes are gonna be like keystones, that's been said two or more times already in previous devblogs

if there was anything in that article worth talking about then people would talk about that instead of how much i suck for thinking it's shit

there's zero new stuff in this article except the actual runes and nothing on those is specially surprising or interesting or worth discussing

this is just a bad article with nothing to say, it's almost as useful as riot tweeting "yup, still working on runes". we don't need a reiteration that new runes are gonna be like keystones, that's been said two or more times already in previous devblogs

if there was anything in that article worth talking about then people would talk about that instead of how much i suck for thinking it's shit

there's zero new stuff in this article except the actual runes and nothing on those is specially surprising or interesting or worth discussing
I'm pretty sure runes being affected by itemization and having drawbacks is new

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm pretty sure runes being affected by itemization and having drawbacks is new

idk runes like bond of stone and double edged swords already have drawbacks to them and the itemization thing is super minor

like i said, if u think it's worth talking over it be my guest, but since no one's doing it (and everyone's reading the thread cos holy shit why did that comment blew up this hard) i'm pretty confident with my initial statement that the article is pretty useless

Are champs going to get higher base stats and stat growth after they rework runes though?
there's gonna be different rune trees that come with stat bonuses along with a selection of runes to choose form

so if u pick sorcery tree that gives u say ap and mana, and you also get to choose between deathfire touch and thunderlords and shit

this is one of the many details of this system that have been woefully underexplained

idk runes like bond of stone and double edged swords already have drawbacks to them and the itemization thing is super minor

like i said, if u think it's worth talking over it be my guest, but since no one's doing it (and everyone's reading the thread cos holy shit why did that comment blew up this hard) i'm pretty confident with my initial statement that the article is pretty useless
There's a pretty big gap between "huh, neat", something worth discussing and "wow Riot is just stroking their ego"

zkylon

zkylewd
There's a pretty big gap in "huh, neat", something worth discussing and "wow Riot is just stroking their ego"
that's breezy, i think this is just riot being dumb, not assigning any "malicious intent" to it

this is basically the second article in a row of "huh, neat" (while the actual working of the system have been really poorly explained so far, since ppl keep being confused about it here)

i think it's lame

that's breezy, i think this is just riot being dumb, not assigning any "malicious intent" to it

no you figuratively said they're stroking their ego

Don't even try and put me on blast here zky, lol. Not only did you say it was a rioter stroking their ego, at same time you downplayed the post made by saying 'being enamored with their work than it needs to be'.

zkylon

zkylewd
some rioter tho, not riot, and i didn't mean it that way. just that someone was too in love with what they were doing to notice it wasn't really worth sharing

eh, i'll concede that the wording or guessing was dumb, been a real shitty day and i've been known to overreact on such occasions

i still think it's a shitty article

edit: i downplayed your post cos you weren't talking about the article, you were talking about runes themselves, which have been discussed already. we already knew there were fewer runes/masteries but they were gonna be more powerful, and you were half the time talking about hots or wow lol

like fuck off lol, ppl should know me better, i shouldn't have said that "more enamored with their work" shit but it still should've come across like every time i've talked about rioters which is like treating them as normal people and not like insulting them personally or assuming they're greedy or vicious in any way. that's the kind of thing other people do, not me

blegh

Top Bottom