• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak? Middle Earth: Shadow of War [Box Art, Game Details, tons of DLC]

What do you think the "Gold War Chest" is for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I really liked the first game but they need to take us beyond Mordor this time. Mordor is the ugliest, most visually dull part of Middle Earth.

The second part was ok. I think if they want they can make Mordor look cool. But yeah going beyond Mordor would be cool.

Quite the leak there.

It seems to have more RPG elements with equippable gear. The follower system sounds similar to Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Maybe they will incorporate the Nemesis system with your allies as well. It should be interesting to see how they expand from the first game which I really enjoyed.

Whenever I hear "equippable RPG gear" I now instantly think microtransaction lootboxes.

What has this industry done to me?

That is a balrog on the gold edition, not the balrog. There are more than one, so it's entirely possible to fight a balrog in Mordor without visiting another location.

Combined with the dragon on the Gold Edition cover, I wonder if an element of the game's story will concern Sauron attempting to amass allies for his renewed war on Middle Earth. After all, the loyalty of the balrogs and the dragons was to Morgoth, not to Sauron - which is why the whole idea of Sauron trying to gain Smaug's loyalty got retconned into the background of the Hobbit. Then add in Celebrimbor's
ambitions to become the Bright Lord in place of Sauron... possible team up with a Balrog
?

Daft_Cat

If it's set in Mordor again, please let us explore the provinces from the films/books. I want to swim in Mt. Doom, base jump off Barad-Dur, then swing by Cirith Ungol for dinner with the Witch King. Also, if the leaks are implying that the Nazgul/Sauron himself sit at the top of the Nemesis-food chain, then sign me the fuck up.

Also, full disclosure: I understand that going too far in this direction runs the risk of feeling like bad fan-fiction, but there has to be a better middle-ground than the first game. I enjoyed Shadows of Mordor, but it mostly felt like a b-tier spin off, in terms of lore. I never really felt like I was traversing the hell-on-earth Mordor I'd seen/read about - especially for the second half of the game (even if it made for a nice change of scene) - and the personal story didn't change the fact that the stakes never felt particularly high.

Simo

0%

They've probably been working on this since Mordor came out.

They did the mocap work for the announcement trailer for this one a year ago apparently but then delayed it. I'd imagine with that and the August release the game is done or about done.

I hope we get a PC release day-and-date with consoles. This is WB published after all. Hopefully its like last time and not like MKXL, 7 months later.

eizarus

Banned
Yes!!!!! I loved the first one. Especially with chill it was when you just needed to sit back and smack around bad guys (felt much better than the Arkham games in that regard).

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
If it's set in Mordor again, please let us explore the provinces from the films/books. I want to swim in Mt. Doom, base jump off Barad-Dur, then swing by Cirith Ungol for dinner with the Witch King. Also, if the leaks are implying that the Nazgul/Sauron himself sit at the top of the Nemesis-food chain, then sign me the fuck up.

Give me Minas Morgul

Arion

"Go behind enemy lines to forge your army, conquer Fortresses and dominate Mordor from within. Experience how the award winning Nemesis System creates unique personal stories with every enemy and follower, and confront the full power of the Dark Lord Sauron and his Ringwraiths in this epic new story of Middle-earth."

Gold Edition includes:
• Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion
• Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion
• The Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion
• The Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion
• Gold War Chest
• Over $125 in total value

Nemesis Expansions include a new Orc Tribe featuring new enemies, followers, missions, abilities, weapons, Fortress and wilderness updates, and a Mythic Gear Set.

Story Expansions introduce a new campaign, playable character & abilities, side missions, enemies, allies & more.

Experience an epic open-world brought to life by the award-winning Nemesis System. Forge a new Ring of Power, conquer Fortresses in massive battles and dominate Mordor with your personal Orc army in Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™.

They seem pretty aggressive with the dlc this time. I might wait for a heavy price drop since there is no shortage of games to play this year.

Loxley

I understand that going too far in this direction runs the risk of feeling like bad fan-fiction, but there has to be a better middle-ground. Lore-wise, the first game felt too much like it had nothing to do with anything. I never really felt like I was traversing the hell-on-earth Mordor I'd seen/read about - especially for the second half of the game (even if it made for a nice change of scene).

No game will ever beat the climax of The Third Age - where you literally fight the Eye of Sauron itself. Like, you actually run up to it and whack it with your sword.

E7bgpxG.jpg

It's so fucking stupid that it's kind of awesome.

Par Score

GotY 2017 right here.

One of my greatest disappointments from this generation has been the complete lack of copying on the Nemesis System.

Even Ghost Recon: Wildlands, which has pretty much the exact setup of bosses, under-bosses, goons, etc. doesn't use anything similar. It's crazy.

Cleve

Remember two years ago when we thought everyone would have a nemesis system in their game?

I'm not sure if I'm still excited for this. I loved SoM, but I recognize it's a flawed game propped up by a couple cool features. I hope they can make this one a bit more engaging in other ways,

oti

Banned
Cool. I thought Jason said this was delayed but that gold edition looks ready for 2017. Can't wait.

Maybe it was delayed. Maybe it was planned to release earlier then August but they had to delay it for some reason.

This leaks also makes me think we're not too far off a reveal trailer. Let's hope it's not just CG.

Falchion

The last game would've been fantastic if it hadn't made me grind so much. Ease that a little bit and I'm all in.

Neat! Only just played the first game last month and fun it a ton of fun, so very exited for this!

To buy at launch or wait for the inevitable complete edition down the line though, that's the question...

The first Middle Earth game was a GREAT idea wrapped around a not-so-good game that made poor use of its license.

This time around I'm in exclusively for the Nemesis system. My mistake last time around was expecting something faithful to Tolkien, but that was on me I suppose.

Top Bottom