• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Battlefield: Hardline gameplay

More of a personal identity. It doesn't seem to be it's own game.

Yeah, the look and feel they were going with the "Omaha" demo was that it's its own personality, and it just happens to be called Battlefield to get more sales. I mean it is a 6 month old demo.

This could easily be a DLC, right?

Banfield

Neo Member
I'm sure EA is real happy with the first gameplay being one guy on a map walking (and riding) around on an empty server. Yeah, it looks a lot like BF4, but I'm willing at least to wait on gameplay, because BF4 for all it's issues is fun.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, the look and feel they were going with the "Omaha" demo was that it's its own personality, and it just happens to be called Battlefield to get more sales. I mean it is a 6 month old demo.

I guess if people liked the Omaha video they might like the other modes more. Or, in ither terms, Capture The Flag where's there's one flag and it's in the middle.

This is basically the mode where there's a money pile and you drag it to your base and presumably uses the conquest maps.

Heist (objective assault/defense though I imagine like rush), Hotwire (vehicle escape/chase down), and hostage rescue (self explanatory) would look a bit different gameplay wise though visually I would think they would look the same.

TheJLC

What do you feel should have looked more different, especially in the context of one guy running around on an empty server?

Is it the aesthetics? Were you hoping for a third person camera?

I guess I'm just curious what people wanted different from this in concrete terms.

Not BF with a police skin. Instead a game about Police and robbers/bad guys without the same arsenal as BF4. (Not Police running around with LMGs or a police vehicles with grenade launcher, miniguns, and .50 cal machine gun)

rokkerkory

Wow first thought out of my head was Peyton Manning in a soldier outfit reading this lol

What do you feel should have looked more different, especially in the context of one guy running around on an empty server?

Is it the aesthetics? Were you hoping for a third person camera?

I guess I'm just curious what people wanted different from this in concrete terms.

I thought the police theme meant it would be more different than a typical Battlefield game.

I mean, there are 4 classes, the vehicles behave the same, the helicopter has a minigun, etc.

I hoped it would be more SWAT vs robbers, a la North Hollywood shootout.

Minion101

Banned
For me I guess the confirmation that it is just that and nothing more. Perhaps it was the preconceived notion, in my mind, that it would have a PAYDAY2 flavor to it as well. I'm a huge BF4 fan but after watching that, I felt really disappointed.

Yeah I feel this release is pretty pointless.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not BF with a police skin. Instead a game about Police and robbers/bad guys without the same arsenal as BF4. (Not Police running around with LMGs or a police vehicles with grenade launcher, miniguns, and .50 cal machine gun)
That's what police actually have now though.

We give out excess military gear to police forces.

For example, here's a video pitching MRAPs to police forces: http://mobile.bloomberg.com/video/a...d-trucks-for-free-yNTShDoVRe2reQ3G3Raqrg.html

Also:

AP110921049117.jpg

antitrop

For me I guess the confirmation that it is just that and nothing more. Perhaps it was the preconceived notion, in my mind, that it would have a PAYDAY2 flavor to it as well. I'm a huge BF4 fan but after watching that, I felt really disappointed.

Yeah, I would absolutely rather reinstall PAYDAY 2 than buy this fucking ripoff cashgrab.

EmpReb

Banned
Yeah I feel this release is pretty pointless.
It is... I feel COD and Desnity are going to CLEAN up this fall on Consoles. While Battlefield still will be played it will be BF4 IE no money for EA. They are sending Visceral Games to die meanwhile there guys who left to COD:AW are going to make a killing. If I ever saw a game going to march to death its BFH. There is no room this fall and BF4 working now with CTE means less people are likely to play it. Stupid FING EA.

TheJLC

That's what police actually have now though.

We give out excess military gear to police forces.

For example, here's a video pitching MRAPs to police forces: http://mobile.bloomberg.com/video/a...d-trucks-for-free-yNTShDoVRe2reQ3G3Raqrg.html

Hmm, MRAPs are normal. But arming it with a 40mm grenade launcher, and a 50 cal machine gun is too much.

We have an MRAP ourselves as well as former bank vehicle and swat armored vehicle. None of them have 50 calibers or grenade launchers. In fact the best we have in the arsenal of the station are a couple AR-15s, Capone Era Tommy Guns, and shotguns.

Our police chopper which is shared with the Sheriff does not have miniguns.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought the police theme meant it would be more different than a typical Battlefield game.

I mean, there are 4 classes, the vehicles behave the same, the helicopter has a minigun, etc.

They do have things like regular cars and tasers, but yeah admittedly it also has most of BF4's arsenal. I think I'm starting to understand what people wanted.

More "removing while also adding" so it felt less like an addition to BF4 and more like a distinct shift. So no grenade launchers instead of just yes zip lines and grappling hooks.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmm, MRAPs are normal. But arming it with a 40mm grenade launcher, and a 50 cal machine gun is too much.

We have an MRAP ourselves as well as former bank vehicle and swat armored vehicle. None of them have 50 calibers or grenade launchers. In fact the best we have in the arsenal of the station are a couple AR-15s, Capone Era Tommy Guns, and shotguns.

Our police chopper which is shared with the Sheriff does not have miniguns.
Okay that is fair most of them should be less armed.

I guess I'm a bit confused by the reactions.

We established that it looked exactly like BF4 with new modes, some new weapons/vehicles, and a police theme in the last leak (the 7 minute video).

What was there that made people think this doesn't look in line?

I think the big problem is everything UI is almost exactly the same. Even a minor redesign would have been nice.

I knew that the all out war would still be there in some form but I guess I was hoping in the smaller game modes it wouldn't be as present. The absurdity of seeing big guns on police vehicles, and police with LMG's just didn't take effect until I saw it in first person.

The map is another good example this map seems to have the exact same feel as Siege of Shanghai or Dawnbreaker. The trailer maps looked fresh. This doesn't. At least they're not asset reusing with the buildings from what I can tell. BF has suffered from this for awhile.

As soon as he jumped into the Amtrack v2 my heart sank. I'm not sure what I expected... Clearly it was going to feel similar to BF4 mechanic wise but I thought with the cop switch things may have been switched up enough for it to feel fresh. Maybe the new modes and maps will do this. We'll see.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think the big problem is everything UI is almost exactly the same. Even a minor redesign would have been nice.

I knew that the all out war would still be there in some form but I guess I was hoping in the smaller game modes it wouldn't be as present. The absurdity of seeing big guns on police vehicles, and police with LMG's just didn't take effect until I saw it in first person.

The map is another good example this map seems to have the exact same feel as Siege of Shanghai or Dawnbreaker. The trailer maps looked fresh. This doesn't. At least they're not asset reusing with the buildings from what I can tell. BF has suffered from this for awhile.

As soon as he jumped into the Amtrack v2 my heart sank. I'm not sure what I expected... Clearly it was going to feel similar to BF4 mechanic wise but I thought with the cop switch things may have been switched up enough for it to feel fresh. Maybe the new modes and maps will do this. We'll see.
It sounds like they're going to be doing the 20+ hour multiplayer live stream at E3 this year again and perhaps even starting a beta soon so we should find out soon enough.

antitrop

Visceral isn't going anywhere, but between this and Dead Space 3, they sure have lost a lot of credibility in the eyes of many.

dstruiks

Neo Member
Hopefully this isn't a true representation of what they are hoping to accomplish, because right now it looks like a re-skinned BF4. This would be seriously disappointing coming from Visceral. I still have high hopes for single player, but when the majority of my BF time comes from multiplayer, I might have to stick with BF4 if they can't WOW me at E3.

coldone

looks awful. Really low budget .. buildings look the spider man game. Copy paste, change color.

Why couldnt they pay and hire some people do decent Art work. Terrible job.. sadly it is going to be demise of Visceral. They will be blamed for poor reviews and sales.

EmpReb

Banned
looks awful. Really low budget .. buildings look the spider man game. Copy paste, change color.

Why couldnt they pay and hire some people do decent Art work. Terrible job.. sadly it is going to be demise of Visceral. They will be blamed for poor reviews and sales.
Yup. Everyone one will talk about the singleplayer sucking and all the BF fans will pretty much say. Its BF4 with mod skins. Fuck that I have BF4 CTE that is working.... Sorry but I am staying with BF4 and wait for this train wreak to blow over and DICE is behind the mulitplayer too.. OH Thats good because THERE FING OVER LOADED. Mirror's Edge 2, Battlefront and BF:mainline title/ new engine of frostbite. EA is trying to kill its self....I am total conviced of this. Activsion of all the BS they have the know how to make money but EA its going to shoot its self compared its other evil competitor that is MUCH smarter on how its milks its franchises.

maneil99

Man it looks like BF 3/4 only not as good :(

Maybe the single player campaign is ok??

Single Player and Battlefield haven't mixed well since BC1. BC2 was okay but alot more linear, BF3/4 were terrible IMO. Bad Company 1 was so open, shame most PC players missed it, it was amazing and holds up well because of its unique game progress design.

I guess if people liked the Omaha video they might like the other modes more. Or, in ither terms, Capture The Flag where's there's one flag and it's in the middle.

This is basically the mode where there's a money pile and you drag it to your base and presumably uses the conquest maps.

Heist (objective assault/defense though I imagine like rush), Hotwire (vehicle escape/chase down), and hostage rescue (self explanatory) would look a bit different gameplay wise though visually I would think they would look the same.

Well I hope its just a beta (or maybe I'm spoiled by playing Watch Dogs) but the lack of NPC may be weird for a game that goes for a large scale combat especially in a game thats less about war and more about robbing a bank. Payday does it so much better; all they had to do was combine Battlefield, Payday and Counterstrike, and add that life to it.

I hope other modes have more life to it.

demolitio

Still seems to weird to have this be a cops vs. robbers game under the BF name. All-out warfare that the BF name implies and this setting just doesn't make much sense. Although I can suspend those feelings in the name of fun even if it's absurd, especially for some of the BF2: Special Forces gear that I miss.

Hope this means there's a beta since that's precisely what they need after pissing off BF fans.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Visceral isn't going anywhere, but between this and Dead Space 3, they sure have lost a lot of credibility in the eyes of many.

I honestly dont think its fair to judge this quite yet, since all we've seen is some dude running around on an empty server. I'm disappointed it for now seems like a DLC add on to BF4, but Im going to wait till they show more.

OneUh8

It sure did seem like a simple re-skin of Battlefield 4. Really hope that is not the case. I will withhold judgment right now. I am sure we will find out soon enough at E3.

rdrr gnr

How hard and/or expensive is it to change the aesthetic of a spin-off? Reuse all the assets you want, but can't the lighting or the art be tweaked so the game can have its own identity?

antitrop

There's no way this stands a chance at retail versus Advanced Warfare.
Yup, this actually looks like a strong year for CoD. EA got lucky to get away with BF4's launch with Ghosts being so poorly recieved, but I don't think they have the same advantage this year.

Dead Man

That's what I was hoping for. This just looks like BF4 with different skins.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yup, this actually looks like a strong year for CoD. EA got lucky to get away with BF4's launch with Ghosts being so poorly recieved, but I don't think they have the same advantage this year.
They don't expect it to.

The sales expectations are 1/3rd of Battlefield 4. It's being sold as an extra game for people who want more Battlefield between mainline entries as opposed to a flagship title.

maneil99

They don't expect it to.

The sales expectations are 1/3rd of Battlefield 4. It's being sold as an extra game for people who want more Battlefield between mainline entries as opposed to a flagship title.

One might say it degrades the IP...

EmpReb

Banned

Stands a Chance? It does have any hope...... LIKE ZERO. I am BF fan and I am already seeing this. COD:AW is a dev team given time and looks like they have true vison from the Dev team IE a Soul of a GAME. Meanwhile BFH looks more and more like something just trying to get money and not EVEN be any thing different let alone worth your money. I for one want to play AW just for the campaign and if the Mulitplayer is good on PC.... All the better.(I have three older BF titles to fall back on if not) BF has a bad track record of singleplayer side and VS... Sorry there is not much new you can do if your not will to get out of the rut of follow the leader and open the damn map up. COD is roller coster and linear but heck the story looks fun. But this Cops Story....... umm yeah....sorry but I am just done. Its Battlefront next year... I can play BF games two year in a row I don't need a brand new Title every year.

coldone

They don't expect it to.

This will sell like Fuse, NBA Live did for EA. May be around 1000 copies ?

Game looks awful. They may get away releasing it on PS3/360.

RoKKeR

They don't expect it to.

Doesn't do them any favors if it gets trashed critically in comparison to CoD. BF4 did enough damage as is.

Top Bottom