• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Dark Souls 2 Concept Art looks grossly incandescent

Orayn

Yes, they are quite worrisome. sigh

Dark Souls' armor came in two distinct flavors: Incredibly practical (Elite Knight, starter gear), and fucking crazy. (Smough, Catarina, Glorious, Xanthous, etc.)

As long as they keep stuff like boobplates in the latter category and don't cross the streams, I think it'll be alright.

Eusis

As long as they keep stuff like boobplates in the latter category and don't cross the streams, I think it'll be alright.
Yeah, it's annoying to see every woman wearing it where applicable (Fire Emblem Awakening) especially if a series was good about that before (... Fire Emblem Awakening), but if it's just a few special, probably gender exclusive outfits who cares.

AlexBasch

I have a couple female characters. You almost never notice the difference unless you take off your helmet or wear a hat.
I know, but I always do male characters in my games. :p Was thinking of building a pure STR character with boxing gloves, just to throw people off that might think she's a wizard or something. :p

Also, holy fucking shit at that Spider.

S0N0S

Dark Souls' armor came in two distinct flavors: Incredibly practical (Elite Knight, starter gear), and fucking crazy. (Smough, Catarina, Glorious, Xanthous, etc.)

I'm all on-board if those "fucking crazy" boobplates are redesigned into, say, Madonna like spikey boob plates, and somehow fit into the game like Smough or Xanthous. Right now, they look very much like the always impractical, generic fantasy female armor we see in every other game(besides DaS and DeS). Very much a crossing of streams, IMO.

EDIT: Of course this is not a deal breaker, but it is a cause for concern.

Orayn

I'm all on-board if those "fucking crazy" boobplates are redesigned into, say, Madonna like spikey boob plates, and somehow fit into the game like Smough or Xanthous. Right now, they look very much like the always impractical, generic fantasy female armor we see in every other game(besides DaS and DeS). Very much a crossing of streams, IMO.

Like I said earlier, this is concept art. It's easier to reuse assets in the actual game, which is most likely what they'll do.

Forkball

I don't get why people are angry, Dark Souls had boob plates.

mHlT1.jpg

Dantard

Neo Member
For those talking about differences in female/male armor, Dark Souls had them too, case in point: Wanderer Set, Black Leather Set etc. (and I have no problem with it, although I rather it not be prevalent and not gender-restricted, like in Dark Souls)

And I don't know why, but this image, along with a few other area concepts, made me more hyped for DkS 2 than the gameplay trailer:
4fdeff79jw1e264w24xqjj.jpg

S0N0S

Like I said earlier, this is concept art. It's easier to reuse assets in the actual game, which is most likely what they'll do.

Good point, but I would say there's a solid chance male and female will look more distinct this time around(bigger budget, newer tech, etc...). That would mean separate animations, skeletons, and armor. My hope is that these didn't get past concept stage.

I'll end my comments about this here. Don't want to turn this into #BOOBPLATEGATE.

Dantard

Neo Member
My favorite of the bunch, I think. Maybe we'll get to swim around this time?!

I doubt it, swimming in armor seems like too ludicrous of an idea for Dark Souls' more """realistic""" approach and putting in a system that won't be used 75% (when you're using medium/heavy armor) seems unlikely

4fdeff79jw1e264x6o0z1j.jpg

This image and few others stuck out for me. Actual cities/towns with people in them. In Dark Souls every place is already dead except for Firelink and is just a place to fight enemies. Perhaps DS2 will have more non-combat zones and more life, more people to talk to.

I guess we will be seeing more of this game at E3? Kind of dropped off my radar with all the next gen hype.

Dresden

This image and few others stuck out for me. Actual cities/towns with people in them. In Dark Souls every place is already dead except for Firelink and is just a place to fight enemies. Perhaps DS2 will have more non-combat zones and more life, more people to talk to.
It'd make sense with the whole prequel thing.

Man, it'd be crazy if we got to see New Londo happen.

S0N0S

I doubt it, swimming in armor seems like too ludicrous of an idea for Dark Souls' more """realistic""" approach and putting in a system that won't be used 75% (when you're using medium/heavy armor) seems unlikely

Swimming without armor. Wade with it. It's one potential vector for opening up exploration, just like the addition of the running jump to Dark Souls. Those staircases look like spots to climb out of the water is why I brought it up.

Dantard

Neo Member
4fdeff79jw1e264x6o0z1j.jpg

I guess we will be seeing more of this game at E3? Kind of dropped off my radar with all the next gen hype.

God, I hope not... A single city, acting as a hub like the Nexus or a larger Firelink Shrine area is... okay, but more than one even? Many non-combat zones and people talking to bore me interrupting my Souls Series' staple focused gameplay? No thanks!

What purpose would other non-combat zones serve? Shops?? QUESTS?? Bleh.

God, I hope not... A single city, acting as a hub like the Nexus or a larger Firelink Shrine area is... okay, but more than one even? Many non-combat zones and people talking to bore me interrupting my Souls Series' staple focused gameplay? No thanks!

What purpose does Firelink or the Nexus serve? I always liked talking with the NPC's in these games. They give the world more character.

Shai-Tan

Banned
save those concepts so someone can come back to it and show us all how they failed miserably at recreating it in the face generator

Dantard

Neo Member
Swimming without armor. Wade with it. It's one potential vector for opening up exploration, just like the addition of the running jump to Dark Souls. Those staircases look like spots to climb out of the water is why I brought it up.

You'd have to take out your armor every time you wanted to swim? That's way too annoying... Also, with the likelyhood of a cumbersome underwater movement and the fact that you'd have to go in without armor, it means they wouldn't put any underwater fights, so it'd just become something to slow the gameplay flow. And as I said, the other option (swimming in armor) wouldn't fit the game's feel. So very very unlikely to happen.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Well it's not as if demon/dark souls don't have alternate side stuff. For example, saving people like sage freke is completely optional.

Top Bottom