• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Dark Souls 2 Concept Art looks grossly incandescent

Orayn

All this bullshit talk about boob plate and you guys are glossing over the most important thing

rL7sgmy.jpg

This man is Dual Wielding.

Dual Wield builds may now become practical? Praise the sun!

There are new animations for it.

ibhdKOjiOjc8GH.gif

Foffy

Banned
People in towns doesn't bother me. King's Field, the predecessor series to the Souls games, had spots where you can talk to people and learn about the game area beyond a starting hub. It was done very tastefully from the KF games I played, still keeping that sense of "emptiness" and wondering about what's coming ahead, which is something From is perhaps the best developer in the industry at doing.

I'm more surprised with each new Souls game they seem to be taking more inspiration from King's Field. Dark Souls reintroduced elemental attacks from some swords and a fully interconnected world (something From first did in King's Field II), and Dark Souls II seems to be reintroducing the concept of NPCs in other locations that could be devoid of enemies (also done from the same game).

Noi

Really? Quellag makes this boss look tame. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a standard enem...oh...

I think the perspective for that shot is tricky. Look at flaming spider, then look at this one.

It could easily be another giant spider or a common-enemy sized one like the Bugbears in Demon's Souls.

Really? Quellag makes this boss look tame. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a standard enem...oh...

I hated Quellag, that battle was almost enough to turn me off the game. I persevered though, but my nerves were shot to hell. I can't do it again man. I just can't...

Surprised no one mentioned these two yet. It seems to be very clearly demonstrating either a time travel mechanic, or a light/dark world kind of thing going on.

Possibly
the continuued age of fire and the age of dark?

Slyjss

Nope.gif

I beat Queelag without problem as I could focus in its mouth and forget its legs (the part of spiders' body that gives me the creeps), but this is insane. We should start the Association of People Who Just Can't Stand Giant Spiders in Games.

Tilian

Banned
It's all so familiar but unknown at the same time, I love it.

The presence of a population is definitely strange though, makes sense I suppose if this is set back in time.

EDIT: that miko, if real, looks strangely out-of-place-kawaii.

linko9

Wow... all of this looks incredible. Every one of those locations looks great, hope they all make it into the game.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
4fdeff79jw1e264x6o0z1j.jpg

This image and few others stuck out for me. Actual cities/towns with people in them. In Dark Souls every place is already dead except for Firelink and is just a place to fight enemies. Perhaps DS2 will have more non-combat zones and more life, more people to talk to.

I guess we will be seeing more of this game at E3? Kind of dropped off my radar with all the next gen hype.

The more Castlevania II that Dark Souls II can be, the better it will be by that line of logic... which I agree with.

UrbanRats

Some stuff looks great, some not so much:

dasiiconcept44.png

This is getting into Kingdom of Amalur territory, which is an horrible place to be.

That shit has got to stop. Seriously.

What? Boobs? Some of you pretty sensitive. Shit, the only skin on her is her face and that outfit is beautifully rendered/designed.

I'm pretty sure people wont be happy until there is literally no difference from the man and woman (like Dark Souls), but then it would be anita's Woman-MAN issue thing. But, I digress -- the concepts look great, is there a name on the concept artist? I love that composition/pose on the first one, that armor is gorgeous.

Eusis

What? Boobs? Some of you pretty sensitive. Shit, the only skin on her is her face and that outfit is beautifully rendered/designed.
The problem with boob plates has been covered, it's really more analogous to throwing high heels where they don't belong, ESPECIALLY pump heels. And hell, that armor's got that covered too, but it's a very mild heel, to a degree I don't imagine it actually being an impairment in battle like Samus's Zero Suit heels in Other M. Basically the kind of stuff that seems to throw practicality out the window in favor of pointless pandering.

But as noted we don't know what'll even show up in the game, or if it's just one armor set out of several, so until then we can't really say one way or the other unlike something like Dragon's Dogma where this is something of a problem.

Hypron

The problem with boob plates has been covered, it's really more analogous to throwing high heels where they don't belong, ESPECIALLY pump heels. And hell, that armor's got that covered too, but it's a very mild heel, to a degree I don't imagine it actually being an impairment in battle like Samus's Zero Suit heels in Other M. Basically the kind of stuff that seems to throw practicality out the window in favor of pointless pandering.

But as noted we don't know what'll even show up in the game, or if it's just one armor set out of several, so until then we can't really say one way or the other unlike something like Dragon's Dogma where this is something of a problem.

Speaking about high heels, the lord blade armor in dark souls has them. So it's not like every armor in dark souls is super practical. I wouldn't worry too much about those boob-plates until we see more.

Shtof

Fuck that spider. We should be allowed to turn off spiders in games, just like we can turn off blood.

Eusis

Speaking about high heels, the lord blade armor in dark souls has them. So it's not like every armor in dark souls is super practical. I wouldn't worry too much about those boob-plates until we see more.
That IS why I brought up Dragon's Dogma, I think most of the armor in that would reshape to account for breasts with only a few exceptions, which I think were full sets that simply re proportioned the model (then there's the inverse, female full sets that give boobs to male characters if they could equip them.)

sublimit

Banned
Is this from the same artists that did Demon's/Dark Souls concept art?Some of these designs look a bit tacky and not as unique or elegant as in the previous games.
I mean look at the armor on the left.It looks more like something from an Elder Scrolls game than a Souls game:
4fdeff79jw1e264y8ul04j.jpg

Can't say these paintings appeal to me at all.

That armor is basically the female version of this:

Yes, its is not as practical as something like this:

But its decorative armor in a fantasy video game and its visually appealing. It doesn't need to be 100% practical and realistic.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think the perspective for that shot is tricky. Look at flaming spider, then look at this one.

It could easily be another giant spider or a common-enemy sized one like the Bugbears in Demon's Souls.

Unless the birds flying around that thing are miniature birds, that is a HUGE spider.

Looks like the old designers are no longer working on this game. What happened to the distinct dark fantasy look of the first two games? Most of this looks a lot more like generic Western fantasy art. =(

And what the hell is this:

Eusis

That armor is basically the female version of this:

Yes, its is not as practical as something like this:

But its decorative armor in a fantasy video game and its visually appealing. It doesn't need to be 100% practical and realistic.
You can try to compromise though, and given the tone favoring realism (or plausibility at least) would generally be preferable. Most of the armor is probably highly impractical in some way anyway, but it doesn't jump out to me in the same way.

... though, yeah, like noted by others it depends on what the other sets are anyway. A few special female only sets that do this, whatever. All or almost all sets doing this when worn by female characters however is an issue.

You can try to compromise though, and given the tone favoring realism (or plausibility at least) would generally be preferable. Most of the armor is probably highly impractical in some way anyway, but it doesn't jump out to me in the same way.

... though, yeah, like noted by others it depends on what the other sets are anyway. A few special female only sets that do this, whatever. All or almost all sets doing this when worn by female characters however is an issue.

I really don't expect all female armor sets to have boob plates, if that it is the case then that would really be a problem.

Perhaps if Dark Souls was a complete medieval simulator, boob plates of any circumstance would be out of the question.

Top Bottom