• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Dark Souls 2 Concept Art looks grossly incandescent

Izcarielo

Banned
I think (hope) these are not actual DS2 artwork, because they have nothing in common with the art from the previous games.
They look dull , generic & uninspired :/

Eusis

I really don't expect all female armor sets to have boob plates, if that it is the case then that would really be a problem.

Perhaps if Dark Souls was a complete medieval simulator, boob plates of any circumstance would be out of the question.
It IS a more gritty, relatively down to earth series in general rather than something like FF or Monster Hunter that'd flout exotic equipment, but as it isn't a hardcore medieval simulator, yeah, it's not like being unrealistic in some ways is inherently a problem.

Admittedly this is also the first we've seen of female equipment so it's out of context of the whole, but we did have FE, a series that was traditionally relatively smart with this stuff, go full boob plate with FE:A, so I can see why people can be concerned especially as this doesn't have the anime aesthetic as a partial defense.

art style is quite different than 1.

4fdeff79jw1e264xo7fs1tyoys.jpg

The enviroments art is pretty fucking great!

What the hell is this, though?

Two new NPC characters. Waifu and Tsundere.

GorillaJu

Eh I'm a big fan of the first two games but I don't see why the new girl can't fit in with the style. The first two were super, super bleak, but From should definitely be able to shape the art style and still manage to keep it the same thematically.

Red-Shift

Neo Member
Can't wait to compare what actually got into the game once DS2 is out. Just finished my first Dark Souls playthrough with +120 hours on the counter and seeing all the concept art makes me want to jump into NG+ so hard, but I have to get some stuff off of my backlog. PS+ isn't making it any easier, well, it could be worse, if it were a EU PS+ sub. :p

hmm.. some stuff looks awesome, some looks kinda uninspired. ALL of the art in the previous games was great. something is missing. did they lose artists?

oh well, i'm confident it will be the best Souls game anyway.

Durante

I think all of that looks pretty damn fantastic. Yes, even the piece with the "boob plate". FROM armor designs are incredible.

Edit: make that "almost all of that". I could do without the spikey spike armor.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I for one, greatly loves the boob plate armor. That chick looks beastly as all hell! Slap on the fur from the other guy's armor and I'm not taking that thing off.

In any case, about a year ago I was talking with a friend about how scary it was that somewhere in Japan, FROM could be working on new bosses and traps to slay us in DSII. And now...I can see these bosses. I already dread them!

Looks good so far. Awesome art. I think people are a little too concerned about practicality though. In a game where I can shoot flames and ice out my hands and get to fight gigantic spiders, dragons and all types of imaginative abominations, I am not too worried about boob plates, chain mails, high heels or whatever. I am sure boob plates are optional for female characters anyway.

Red-Shift

Neo Member
4fdeff79jw1e264psnivkj.jpg

4fdeff79jw1e264puk4ygj.jpg

Man, how crazy would it be if From introduces a time travel element to Dark Souls 2? Didn't they already touch on time travel in the Artorias of the Abyss DLC? Thinking about the possibilities and consequences a playthrough might have adding a time travel layer on top of a non-linear game like Dark Souls, would that make you excited or would it be a nightmare for you?

RoeBear

All of this art is spectacular, but I like going into these games fresh so I'm going to try and forget all about this.

So it seems he posted these a while back on the Internet. Is this the first time someone got news from another forum?

-search google for freedomourne and dark souls and strangely the first hit is Polygon. Why isn't he posting here directly too?

i-Lo

Looks beautiful. Taking a gander at the arachnophobes I'm thankful that they, in all likelihood won't be doing underwater segment where I'd have fight some twisted shark.

Boob plates? Really?

It's called breastplate for a reason. PM this to Jason Schreier at kotaku so that he can write an article exposing the sexism. That'll show the artist what happens when he acts like a 14 year old.

SerRodrik

Those environments look amazing. Not gonna lie, I rolled my eyes at the boob plate too, though. The Souls games have been so good about averting that trend so far.

fraktur

Man, how crazy would it be if From introduces a time travel element to Dark Souls 2? Didn't they already touch on time travel in the Artorias of the Abyss DLC? Thinking about the possibilities and consequences a playthrough might have adding a time travel layer on top of a non-linear game like Dark Souls, would that make you excited or would it be a nightmare for you?
they already said that time will play a huge part in this game. i could see something similar to the pw/pbwt of demon's souls.

It's called breastplate for a reason.
but only for females it seems...

don't like the boob plates and miko. environments seem ok or fine. looking only at the concept art, it still looks like a huge shift from dark souls

RK9039

Interesting, I think these look good.

I hope the Path of the Dragon makes a return, it was the best covenant.

Breast plates are OK. Looks cool and of course there can be some vanity in Late Middle Ages / Renaissance inspired armor design.

Skyrim armors look horrible though.

They had somewhat similar stuff in DkS too.

cj_iwakura

This is definitely by a different artist/team than Dark Souls 1's, totally different vibe if it's real.

It's nice, yeah, but different. Dark Souls 1/Demon Souls art had a more rough sketch look to it.

Heck, even the original Dk2 art looked like what I'm used to:

nded

A lot of these look like very early design development sketches. It's kind of silly that people seem to be expecting presentation quality artwork right out of the gate; I can guarantee that for every piece of amazing DkS/DeS artwork there were dozens of rejected designs and hastily drawn revisions.

This is definitely by a different artist/team than Dark Souls 1's, totally different vibe if it's real.

It's nice, yeah, but different. Dark Souls 1/Demon Souls art had a more rough sketch look to it.

Heck, even the original Dk2 art looked like what I'm used to:

'Twas a shame that the dwarf looked absolutely ridiculous in the gameplay demo.

robin2

I solely dislike (a lot) the two armors, especially the demonic one, truly post-morrowind elderscrollesque design. The Beksinski bits are amazing and overall the "on the shore" theme is inspiring.

Top Bottom