• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lebron James Ethers Charles Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambis

Banned
This is why the thread title is hilairous. No one is ever going to "ether" Chuck, he doesn't take things to seriously.

Lebron is the only one coming out of this looking like a salty child. Inside the NBA is going to be hilarious on Thursday.
You mustve missed Chuck going quiet as a mouse when he got called out by Shaq while they were discussing this? He may not give a shit about his gambling debts but the no ring talk burns his soul sometimes.

Kite

3fDHlRj.png

Some context on the "barkley threw a guy through a window" thing.

On LeBron bringing up that he once threw someone through a window: "We were on the 1st floor. I told the judge I wish it was the 3rd floor"
RETWEETS
1:14 PM - 31 Jan 2017
https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/826539084936003584

lol

Spinluck

Lebron didn't ether Charles.

Lebron made a fool of himself and proved Barkley right.

Barkley said Lebron is a good guy and a great player but was acting whiny and spoiled concerning basketball. James lashed out like a whiny and spoiled child period, going way personal instead of countering what Barkley said about basketball, his competitiveness, and begging for more good players.

Lebron showed mad weakness there. You a champ, you rich, and still the best player. Why respond like that? Didn't even need to respond at all really.

LeBron has slipped before but not this badly.

I think I'll give him a pass here because Barkley talks too much shit, and LeBron usually doesn't say anything to this type of criticism.

https://youtu.be/NQNXw1gKt-o

Probably gonna end up being my favorite response from him ever lol.

bionic77

As a player I think LeBron already put himself in the top 5 with the ceiling of as high as #2. For me personally if he wins another title or not I will never put him above Jordan as well as never winning another wouldn't drop him out of top 5.
I will always hate basketball lists. Not sure if Bill Simmons started this or popularized it, but they have always been stupid.

I don't see how LeBron can ever be a better player than Kareem was, who for whatever reason always seems to get left out.

As far as I know Kareem is the one player who has a serious argument as to being the best high school, college and professional basketball player of all time.

Back to LeBron. I always thought it was enough to say someone was one of the greatest of all time, which he certainly is. Beyond that I hate getting into lists because someone like Kareem or other great players seem to get left behind.

If you're the GM that trades LeBron James, you better be sure to include yourself in the deal. Only way you won't get fired.
Get Jimmy Butler in there, let Kyrie Irving be the primary ball-handler, Cavs are still the best in the east.

The east is trash, regardless, but the best composed team always ascends the conference. Replace LeBron with a better scorer, you get the same results. Who can realistically compete with them in the east even if you replace LeBron with a slightly worse player?

I don't see how LeBron can ever be a better player than Kareem was, who for whatever reason always seems to get left out.

As far as I know Kareem is the one player who has a serious argument as to being the best high school, college and professional basketball player of all time.

People with an agenda (and limited basketball knowledge) always forget KAJ in their rush to promote ya man Brizzle "right up there" behind Jeffrey.

bionic77

People with an agenda (and limited basketball knowledge) always forget KAJ in their rush to promote ya man Brizzle "right up there" behind Jeffrey.
I think some of Kareems politics really hurt him as well.

Dude was very pro-black in a time when that was unpopular and controversial and he also converted to Islam, another thing that was pretty unpopular and feared at the time (some things never change).

But if you just look at him as a basketball player. I mean the numbers speak for themselves and I can't think of anyone else who was that dominant in high school. college and professionally. He has a legit argument to being the best player at each of those levels.

andthebeatgoeson

Whining? I see more articles on the cavs making a move. So as long as Cleveland is on the picture, I'm glad Bron is making a statement. Fuck the cavs owners and their luxury tax.

They are going to sell out their arena for 10 years because of Bron. Dude had earned the right to demand more from the team, in my opinion.

I think some of Kareems politics really hurt him as well.

Dude was very pro-black in a time when that was unpopular and controversial and he also converted to Islam, another thing that was pretty unpopular and feared at the time (some things never change).

But if you just look at him as a basketball player. I mean the numbers speak for themselves and I can't think of anyone else who was that dominant in high school. college and professionally. He has a legit argument to being the best player at each of those levels.

My all-time has him ahead of Jazzy Jeffrey. Skyhook was in-defendable. Plus, since basketball, he has been a greater humanitarian than Jeff.

yea which kyrie also contributed a lot, I am just tired of kyrie not getting enough credit.

Yeah, in base logic he does deserve credit, as does all the players who did anything. You can weigh it out in many ways over who was the reason they won but Lebron and Irving ain't winning it alone. I wanted them to win without a doubt, but GS should have won that series.

bionic77

My all-time has him ahead of Jazzy Jeffrey. Skyhook was in-defendable. Plus, since basketball, he has been a greater humanitarian than Jeff.
Sorry you are wrong.

I have approximately 20,000 players ahead of Jordan on my list, including some real ballers that I play with at the Y. Some notable players that were objectively better player than Jordan but did not have the luxury of being carried by Scottie Pippen and Nike marketing include: Cedric 'the Great' Ceballos, Hakeem, Nick Van Exel, Shawn Kemp, Cheryl Miller, and Tim Tebow.

I found LeBron to be a better player than Jordan by his 3rd season.

In summary. Fuck Jordan.

He's right and I'm shocked more players don't come out against Chuck in the same way. The NBA on TNT is entertaining but he's a clown on the level of Skip Bayless. He just says things to say things, with no real insight behind them. The next time Chuck says something insightful about basketball will be the first. This is the same guy who said the Warriors play "girly ball" and claimed that no 3 point shooting team would ever win a title, despite "three point shooting teams" having won the last two. He and Shaq only exist on TNT to be clowns and buffoons, not for their analysis. These old heads like Chuck just come across as bitter with the way they go after the younger generations for every little thing. If MJ had come out and ripped his team the way LeBron did, the same people would be talking about how great of a leader he was.

also let's not forget about JaVale McGee ethering Shaq on his own show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q69O7CiwL8

difference is Chuck is a funny clown and Skip Bayless is

SA7Mm5G.jpg

"I'm not going to let him disrespect my legacy like that," James told ESPN. "I'm not the one who threw somebody through a window. I never spit on a kid. I never had unpaid debt in Las Vegas. I never said, 'I'm not a role model.' I never showed up to All-Star Weekend on Sunday because I was in Vegas all weekend partying.

"Go watch the '93 Finals when John Paxson hit the shot," James said. "Barkley and Jordan were laughing and joking with each other during one of the games while somebody's shooting a free throw. In the Finals. But, oh, nobody were friends back then."

"I know he wanted to retire a long time ago but he can't," James said. "He's stuck up on that stage every week."

"I'm tired of biting my tongue," James said. "There's a new sheriff in town."

PicardMyGod.jpg

So barkley gave an interview today about Lebron comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWwa2y6baBQ

He basically said,

"Im not upset, what he said about me is correct but it doesnt make my statement incorrect. He didnt like the message so he attacked the messenger personally. I stand by what I said. "

Then he reiterated his point and said he wont retort with personal insults. He also said a lot of young players now take the criticisms personally and label you a hater without ever seeing if the point is actually valid.

Yep so... Barkley is right again, and once again shows how soft Bron is.

RedAssedApe

Banned

He basically said,

"Im not upset, what he said about me is correct but it doesnt make my statement incorrect. He didnt like the message so he attacked the messenger personally. I stand by what I said. "

Then he reiterated his point and said he wont retort with personal insults. He also said a lot of young players now take the criticisms personally and label you a hater without ever seeing if the point is actually valid.

Yup. Don't see how he got ethered. LeBron just proved his point by how he overreacted.

Joe

I don't quite understand how being one of the best players ever while also leading a relatively respectable life off of the court isn't enough for some people. Ok, he complains a lot.... So what? Everyone has character flaws and his might indeed be more publicly evident than others but it's also incredibly tame compared to others. To continually knock him for it will never make sense to me.

psaman17

Banned

He basically said,

Those Barkley highlights were nasty.

Royce McCutcheon

I don't quite understand how being one of the best players ever while also leading a relatively respectable life off of the court isn't enough for some people. Ok, he complains a lot.... So what? Everyone has character flaws and his might indeed be more publicly evident than others but it's also incredibly tame compared to others. To continually knock him for it will never make sense to me.

People want any excuse to start calling Bron soft.

valkyre

Its not an ordinary person we are talking about.

He is the self proclaimed best player in the world at the moment.

He is bound to be subject to constant pressure and criticism.

It comes with the title, that not only we, but he himself claims.

Its not that he is not allowed to have flaws, its how he handles those flaws and his criticism.

In my opinion his response to Barkley is his major flaw. It would have been much better if he could show that he doesnt give 2 shits about being called a whiner and establish himself like that.

He is being played by CB like a damn fiddle..!

Lebron fell right into Barkley's trap. Stoop to his level just reinforces the whiney comments. I'm not sure why only Barkley could get under his skin unless Lebron felt this low hanging fruit could be said compared to say various other shock jocks like Cowherd or Bayless. I can't believe him being a former NBA player carries more weight in his eyes than any other mouth diarrhea commentators.

Joe

Its not an ordinary person we are talking about.

He is the self proclaimed best player in the world at the moment.

He is bound to be subject to constant pressure and criticism.

It comes with the title, that not only we, but he himself claims.

Its not that he is not allowed to have flaws, its how he handles those flaws and his criticism.

In my opinion his response to Barkley is his major flaw. It would have been much better if he could show that he doesnt give 2 shits about being called a whiner and establish himself like that.

He is being played by CB like a damn fiddle..!
This reads like a sports-themed soap opera. Sports media is simply not interesting enough to fill the space it occupies and has become a caricature.

I do respect that for the most part he is a classy dude and is an amazingly talented athlete.

However, he is still whiny and can be a sore loser. Over half of his life, he's had people saying how great he is and not saying no to him because of how talented he is. I still remember when ESPN covered some of his High School games.

Gilbert kinda sold his soul and his pocket book to get back in the good graces of Lebron and he got his championship. He's spending more money than any other owner in NBA history and they will set another record for luxury tax hits after this season.

The Cavs are having a rough stretch, but this happened last year too. They still are #1 in the East and fourth best record in the NBA. He needs to act like a leader. But calling out his teammates and the front office especially is just absurd. What more can they do?

Royce McCutcheon

I do respect that for the most part he is a classy dude and is an amazingly talented athlete.

However, he is still whiny and can be a sore loser. Over half of his life, he's had people saying how great he is and not saying no to him because of how talented he is. I still remember when ESPN covered some of his High School games.

Gilbert kinda sold his soul and his pocket book to get back in the good graces of Lebron and he got his championship. He's spending more money than any other owner in NBA history and they will set another record for luxury tax hits after this season.

The Cavs are having a rough stretch, but this happened last year too. They still are #1 in the East and fourth best record in the NBA. He needs to act like a leader. But calling out his teammates and the front office especially is just absurd. What more can they do?

What more can he do when he sees the championship running away from him and his front office doesn't seem to hear him, why is he supposed to take this in silence,it benefits no one. He is The best player on the team by miles,if he says something, listen.

Kite

What really irks me is that it does seem like LeBron googled some dirt on Barkley, only read the headline and used it to attack CB. The spitting on a kid thing was when CB got fed up with a racist heckler, tried to spit water at him, missed and hit a kid. He apologized profusely, befriended the family and got them free tickets to a bunch of games. The throwing someone through a bar window was another harasser who was fucking with him for hours, threw ice and a glass cup at a female friend and thus got dwarf tossed through a window.

These are all well documented, LeBron is old enough to know. I wouldn't expect his younger fans to know which makes Bron's omissions more irritating.

petran79

Banned
Sorry you are wrong.

I have approximately 20,000 players ahead of Jordan on my list, including some real ballers that I play with at the Y. Some notable players that were objectively better player than Jordan but did not have the luxury of being carried by Scottie Pippen and Nike marketing include: Cedric 'the Great' Ceballos, Hakeem, Nick Van Exel, Shawn Kemp, Cheryl Miller, and Tim Tebow.

I found LeBron to be a better player than Jordan by his 3rd season.

In summary. Fuck Jordan.

Arvidas Sabonis as well. He put Shaq to shame when he entered the NBA late in his career and after devastating injuries. Everyone was left speechless about his basketball skills and knowledge. Could play from 1 to 5.

He's just like Stephen A Smith.

I'm glad someone else noticed this bit, because SAS been embarrassingly ignorant especially these last few days concerning Kellerman's concern and alarm about what Trump has been being doing.

Max preaching and hitting on all our fears, and SAS shouts him down, says he himself likes politics, but admits he hasn't been following shit, so Max shouldn't expect others to stay informed, basically telling him don't drop truthfacts so hard.

Max looking at him like "This coon right here. I'm trying to save your asses. 'Cause they coming for ya."

And I'm home smh looking at Max like "I know, I know... They coming for us. But he doesn't want to hear it, and won't use this platform to educate people. Wtf is happening here?"

Made me sick.

Irrelevant.

Why should any player care what the owner is spending? They have an open roster spot, could easily make a second, and under the rules of the NBA they can spend quite a bit more. If the Cavs win the east and lose to whoever comes out of the west, no one is doing to say "Lebron gets a pass because Gilbert was strapped". No, they're going to say"3-5, LOSER!"

The salary cap and luxury tax are artificial constructs made by cheap owners. Players should always maximize their contracts and also demand that the owners spend money to build winning teams.

I hate it when fans say things like :

1. "The players get paid too much", while ignoring the fact that a single owner gets half. This one is cute because fans and municipalities also subsidize the owner by paying for their stadiums and giving them tax breaks with deals that rarely break even. Also, people seem unaware tons of states and some cities have special laws that require players from visiting players to pay taxes when the play games there. Sure, players make a lot but they're salaried employees who pay a ton of taxes.

2. "If the players wants to win, he should take less money", while ignoring the fact that good executives and owners, who aren't trying to ball on a budget, find a way to win within the rules and are still profitable.

3. "Bu bu but the salary cap. Bu bu but the luxury tax", while seemingly unaware that these are artificial things the owners demanded so they can make money while owning their prestigious sports team.

If Lebron made any mistake here, the mistake was signing that 2+1 contract. His 1+1 pressured Gilbert to spend. By signing the 2+1 he gave Gilbert options and Gilbert, a notorious baller on a budget, acted on them.

"ethered" is correct as his insults towards barkley are embarrassing and immature just like the rap song where "ethered" is from.

BadAss2961

Irrelevant.

Why should any player care what the owner is spending? They have an open roster spot, could easily make a second, and under the rules of the NBA they can spend quite a bit more. If the Cavs win the east and lose to whoever comes out of the west, no one is doing to say "Lebron gets a pass because Gilbert was strapped". No, they're going to say"3-5, LOSER!"

The salary cap and luxury tax are artificial constructs made by cheap owners. Players should always maximize their contracts and also demand that the owners spend money to build winning teams.

I hate it when fans say things like :

1. "The players get paid too much", while ignoring the fact that a single owner gets half. This one is cute because fans and municipalities also subsidize the owner by paying for their stadiums and giving them tax breaks with deals that rarely break even. Also, people seem unaware tons of states and some cities have special laws that require players from visiting players to pay taxes when the play games there. Sure, players make a lot but they're salaried employees who pay a ton of taxes.

2. "If the players wants to win, he should take less money", while ignoring the fact that good executives and owners, who aren't trying to ball on a budget, find a way to win within the rules and are still profitable.

3. "Bu bu but the salary cap. Bu bu but the luxury tax", while seemingly unaware that these are artificial things the owners demanded so they can make money while owning their prestigious sports team.

If Lebron made any mistake here, the mistake was signing that 2+1 contract. His 1+1 pressured Gilbert to spend. By signing the 2+1 he gave Gilbert options and Gilbert, a notorious baller on a budget, acted on them.
Bu bu but there is a salary cap. It exists, and the Cavs are way over it. Dan Gilbert can't lift it.

The team can only sign minimum contract free agents and make trades. Trades will be tough for them since they have no good pieces they're willing to give up. LeBron led them right into this hole, and somehow expects them to unfuck it.

However, I still think they'll get something since one way or another, LeBron must be pleased.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If you listen to his press conferences, he says "I" and "my team" statements quite a bit. Sure he is the best player on the team, but say terms like "we" instead since it is a team you are on.

When they lose, do you say they or do you blame Lebron first?

LeBron was off base with this. I think his recent frustrations got to him. I never thought he'd stoop so low as to attack Barkley by bringing up personal things. I think LeBron should've clapped back, but he got personal, and that was was a bitch move. He gets points back for being open to talking to Chuck privately over the all-star wknd though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What really irks me is that it does seem like LeBron googled some dirt on Barkley, only read the headline and used it to attack CB. The spitting on a kid thing was when CB got fed up with a racist heckler, tried to spit water at him, missed and hit a kid. He apologized profusely, befriended the family and got them free tickets to a bunch of games. The throwing someone through a bar window was another harasser who was fucking with him for hours, threw ice and a glass cup at a female friend and thus got dwarf tossed through a window.

These are all well documented, LeBron is old enough to know. I wouldn't expect his younger fans to know which makes Bron's omissions more irritating.

Now even with that context imagine Lebron spitting on a kid for the same reasons. People would kill Lebron and try to hang up in the middle of the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom