• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LED TV vs. LCD TV for gaming?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Vustadumas said:
Both seemed the same to me. I had been using a 50" Sony SXRD for a few years, prior to buying a Samsung 55" 8800 LED. I used the Sammy for about 2 weeks, before returning it. Ended up getting a Pioneer Kuro (KRP-600M). Best decision I have ever made. Pioneer Elite Plasma's are above and beyond any LED or LCD. Not to mention you can find them fairly cheap now (just under 3K). Black's are just that, BLACK :D No lag, no burn-in.

Seriously, don't be scared about getting a plasma. I know plasma is a mostly dying tech, but it still delivers on PQ that LED or LCD can't match.

I'm only getting a 40". Samsung doesn't make plasmas smaller than 42" (nor does anyone else if I remember correctly)

Sysgen

thetrin said:
I'm only getting a 40". Samsung doesn't make plasmas smaller than 42" (nor does anyone else if I remember correctly)

I'm not sure of the space you have but keep in mind that a 40" and a 42" may fit in the same space because of the difference in the frame. I was going to get a 40" LCD then found a 42 Plasma that I have my eye on that will fit in the same space.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sysgen said:
I'm not sure of the space you have but keep in mind that a 40" and a 42" may fit in the same space because of the difference in the frame. I was going to get a 40" LCD then found a 42 Plasma that I have my eye on that will fit in the same space.

Yeah. Honestly, 40" is already pushing it. I'm worried most about viewing distance. This is a purchase for my new apartment, but I'm buying it now and having it in a smallish room in my current apartment.

skrew

Banned
Panasonic 42" G10 plasma average power consumption is 173W
Don't belive the power consumption FUD.

Panasonic neo-pdp plasma panels (all 09 models) uses 55% less power then previous plasmas, making it comparable and even beating LCD sets. The current panasonic line will give you the best bang for the buck in turns of $$$ and picture quality. You will not find a LCD (LED or not) tv that gives you a comparable picture quality for the money.

If power consumption is the most important issues, buy LED backlight TV, samsung LCD and panasonic plasma will have the same power consumption. But have fun paying the premium for the LED tv.

Dynamic3

HUELEN10 said:
Both are laggy as fuck form what I've tested of them, so I wouldn't recommend either, but if lag is a concern to you, get the tried and true LN40 as it is a little less laggy.

Dammit, why do Sammys have to be so great, but so laggy?

Obviously LED will look better, but if you care about lag and are determined to get one of these 2, get the LCD. Tl;dr, scalers on these things kinda suck.

What tests have you done?

...and can we list out the full model numbers. There are TVs starting with LN40 going back five years.

thetrin

Dynamic3 said:
What tests have you done?

...and can we list out the full model numbers. There are TVs starting with LN40 going back five years.

I said above that I'm looking specifically at the LN40B640.

Does anyone have experience with the Panasonic TC-P42U1?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Smelly Tramp said:
I have a 2 years old Samsung lcd and I hate it.

Should have saved up for a Plasma.

and you would have been even more disappointed.

Why did you NOT like the Sammy's?

I assume you probably picked up one of the models at the time where they all had those damn glossy panels right after they dropped the matte panels.

skrew

Banned
http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/home/TV-power.html?page=2

MAKE--------MODEL----------TYPE-------SIZE--------PWR ON------PWR OFF------AVG $$$

Panasonic--TC-P42G10------Plasma-----41.6"-------156.30W------0.09W---------$2.86
Samsung---LN40B550 -------LCD--------39.9--------141.57W------0.42W---------$2.61
Samsung---UN40B6000------LED LCD---39.9"------101.05W-------0.06W---------$1.85

No more plasma power FUD please. The G10 wipes the floor with LCD TVs when it comes to picture quality.

thetrin

Was anyone saying anything about Plasma power consumption??

My roomate has an LCD, i have a plasma. I like how the plasma looks a lot better. And mine was cheaper, and bigger.

But it does have HUD elements stay for about 10 min or so after playing a game for a few hours. I just run the white bar program at the end of the night and it's gone.

thetrin

skrew said:
I have the G10, which uses the same panel as the U1. The G10 has more features like THX mode.

The U1 has a pretty damn competitive price. It's definitely something I'm considering after seeing what it costs.

SaitoH

thetrin said:
Does anyone have any advice? Go with the tried and true LN40, or take the plunge with the UN40 LED?

While asking for advice is a good idea, keep in mind everyone is going to recommend what they bought. It's human nature, just remember to keep that in mind.

Ps. I have a Panny Z85U and love it. hah

thetrin

SaitoH said:
While asking for advice is a good idea, keep in mind everyone is going to recommend what they bought. It's human nature, just remember to keep that in mind.

Ps. I have a Panny Z85U and love it. hah

Oh, I know. I just like to bounce things off people before making a decision.

MysticX

My god people, you are confusing him so much.

Anayways, I have a UE46B7070 which is a 1080P monitor and it has a built in media player and that widget thingy I haven´t tried yet, but a friend of mine says it´s great.

Otherwise, I have a Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360 and a Wii via component and a DVD 1080i player and it looks GREAT. I couldn´t be happier about it. The image is so good I couldn´t believe myself. And even Ninja Gaiden on the original Xbox or F-Zero on the Cube look fantastic. And the Wii games look amazingly good as well. I don´t think I have to speak for the 360. It´s awesome, been playing Forza 2/Civ on it lately and it´s a bliss.

Also, the other thing I think is so brilliant about it is the interna media player. Sure, it has it´s faults, like it doesn´t support DTS sounds which is a pain, but with a simple program, it can convert it to AC3, so no biggy there. But, I can plugin my USB or a USB HDD, even without power and it plays even MKV in 1080P, even movie "x" which is 17GB. That I think is a big plus in my book since you would need a beefy machine to play those files. Also, I use the Optical output and connect to my DVD player (HTS-3357) via Coax and I get Dolby Digital through it.

But, I hate the fact that when I connected my 360 with a HDMI 1.3, that it could NOT pass the DD signal to the AMP, when I will use HDMI for my 360, I will need a seperate optical cable and switch between them. But thankfully, you can get an original Xbox HDMI with optical output.

So, I would say go for it. You won´t regret it. And I have game mode turned on and when I play super sonic speeds in F-Zero, Forza or FPS games, I don´t notice any lag.

Neo 007

HUELEN10 said:
Both are laggy as fuck form what I've tested of them, so I wouldn't recommend either, but if lag is a concern to you, get the tried and true LN40 as it is a little less laggy.

Obviously LED will look better, but if you care about lag and are determined to get one of these 2, get the LCD. Tl;dr, scalers on these things kinda suck.
Never noticed lag of anykind with my Sony XBR 1080p.
What the hell ???

thetrin said:
Yeah. Honestly, 40" is already pushing it. I'm worried most about viewing distance. This is a purchase for my new apartment, but I'm buying it now and having it in a smallish room in my current apartment.
Well, one thing that all current display technologies suffer from is screen shrink. You'll buy one, put it in its place, and immediately think, "Oh god, I bought too much TV!"

But then it gradually sheds inches off the frame, and after a week or two looks just about right.

:D

cRIPticon

DeadGzuz said:
I'm seriously thnking about Plasma after three years of with two LCDs.

The Pioneer 50" is $1199 at Costco and the 54" is $1299!

Just picked up the 54" from Costco. 90 return policy and 3YEAR WARRANTY. The TV is awesome!

Ledsen

thetrin said:

How close are you going to be to the TV? I sit about 1,5 m from my 40" and having a bigger one would be no problem at all.

Reallink

skrew said:
I have the G10, which uses the same panel as the U1. The G10 has more features like THX mode.

wasn't directed at you.

Unfortunately, no. The U1 is basically a software tweaked '08 model (certainly not a NeoPDP), and it often costs more than the S1 as sales are less prevalent on it.

kitch9

Banned
HUELEN10 said:

Did you put the TV in PC or game mode?

JRW

Ive been gaming heavily on a Pioneer Kuro 50" plasma for over 2 years (PS3/Wii/360) and could never go back to LCD. Unlimited viewing angle, amazing black levels. Ive never had any image retention issues even after all day gaming sessions (some plasma's have issues here but Kuro's are very retention resistant). burn in (which is different from retention) is pretty easy to avoid with today's plasmas.

nib95

Banned
The correct answer is neither, plasma. Namely the new Pioneer or Panasonic range. I'm sporting an 8G Kuro, but my dad has the new 9G KRP-500. It's insane.

First TV I've ever watched films on where the black bars top and bottom completely disappear even in a pitch black room with not an shred of light. I believe it's rated 0.0021 cd/m2. Still not completely black, but the closest any screen in full ordinary use has ever come to it.

Generally though, I tend to prefer Plasma's over LCD's. For both motion and IQ.

squicken

Make sure you get the specs on those model numbers. Some of them can be last year's model, or a store specific model that is lower spec'd (and can't be price-matched).

FWIW, if you don't want plasma, I'd go LED. Better motion resolution and sexy-time aesthetics.

Rhindle

I have a new 8000 series Samsung LED, as well as a Sony XBR LCD.

The LED is gorgeous for DVD/Bluray viewing. However it does produce a softer, more "plasma-like" picture than a traditional CCFL LCD. For gaming, nothing beats the clear, defined image quality of a top-end LCD panel in my book.

Mohonky

Neo 007 said:
Never noticed lag of anykind with my Sony XBR 1080p.
What the hell ???

I haven't either, it's a Plasma owners thing complaining about lag, be damned if I know what that shits about.

I'm using a UN40B6000 and never experienced any issues. I had some clouding that was fixed with a proper calibration and the edges of my screen are definitely not brighter than the center (I don't use contrast / LED dimming on my set, I've disabled it).

I like the vibrancy and clarity of the set myself. Plasma's have that weird ass grain during static scenes if you are in any way close to the set you can see and I find the blacks tend to blend into one another too much as the sets struggle in lighter scenes, you do get black blacks though.

Cuth

The thread starts with a guy interested in a 40" tv and there are people in full PR mode in favor of Kuro plasmas, starting at 50". Great work.

At least Panasonic plasmas start at 42". The only thing that annoy me about those is that Panasonic seems to always be on the cheap side in the video processor aspect. In the handling of scaling, deinterlacing, 2:2 pulldown, 3:2 pulldown, etc. their tvs are not on par with the latest products from Samsung and Sony.

nib95 said:
The correct answer is neither, plasma. Namely the new Pioneer or Panasonic range. I'm sporting an 8G Kuro, but my dad has the new 9G KRP-500. It's insane.

First TV I've ever watched films on where the black bars top and bottom completely disappear even in a pitch black room with not an shred of light. I believe it's rated 0.0021 cd/m2. Still not completely black, but the closest any screen in full ordinary use has ever come to it.

Generally though, I tend to prefer Plasma's over LCD's. For both motion and IQ.

Slayer-33 said:
Listen to the wise advice OP. Put your money in plasma, if you don't believe you want it walk into a showroom or something and compare.

Yeah because plasma and burn in is such a HUGE issue nowadays /rolleyes
That's a personel opinion, I for one think plasma screens have terribly dull colours. Everytime I see one I am amazed people spend money for one. The Kuro plasma's were ok, especially with SD signals, but Panasonic plasma's aren't worth my money, especially compared to a LED tv (except for the Sharp LED's)

thetrin

Just to let everyone know, I ended up picking up the Samsung UN40B6000 (40" LED 6 series).

I absolutely love it. Thanks for the help, guys.

i'm confused about the whole plasma has blacker blacks now. I'm guessing thats compared to average LCDs? I have a sammy a750 and just got back from setting up my friends viera, same livingroom layout as mine and same lighting conditions and my blacks are waaaaaaaaaaay darker than his. I understand that optimal viewing for plasmas are dark rooms but why would someone suggest plasmas when its light 1/2 the day? :lol

dont get me wrong tho after setting up his and because of costs i'm thinking of getting one for my bedroom but again its more cost factor. i can get a 40 inch viera for $600 where a 40 inch sammy LCD would be closer to $1000. I will say the color definately popped more on his but it didnt look realistic. there's definately a big difference on how the 2 techs display things. kinda cool finally being able to compare in a real situation and not best buy.

RedAssedApe

Banned
If I could go back I'd get a plasma. Input lag isn't too noticeable as long as you turn on game mode but the motion resolution on my Sony XBR4 LCD TV is pretty bad. Still images are incredible but there is a noticeable loss of detail/smearing/blurring on my set when there's fast motion. The motion enhancer helps a little bit but I would never use it for gaming since the input lag becomes a lot more noticeable in FPSes and fighters.

Just my two cents.

jaaz

The OP wasn't even posting about plasma. :lol This plasma vs. LCD/LED owners pissing contest has been going on for years and it's not going to be decided in this thread. Go with whatever looks best to you.

For me, I'm very happy with my new sammy LED UN55B8000. Best picture I've ever seen, and that includes watching DirectTV / Blu-Ray Movie / or playing games.

I wish I could video-capture how Infamous looks on this set compared to my "old" set, a Sony SXRD 60"... It's a whole new game.

WasteLand Soldier said:
i'm confused about the whole plasma has blacker blacks now. I'm guessing thats compared to average LCDs? I have a sammy a750 and just got back from setting up my friends viera, same livingroom layout as mine and same lighting conditions and my blacks are waaaaaaaaaaay darker than his. I understand that optimal viewing for plasmas are dark rooms but why would someone suggest plasmas when its light 1/2 the day? :lol

dont get me wrong tho after setting up his and because of costs i'm thinking of getting one for my bedroom but again its more cost factor. i can get a 40 inch viera for $600 where a 40 inch sammy LCD would be closer to $1000. I will say the color definately popped more on his but it didnt look realistic. there's definately a big difference on how the 2 techs display things. kinda cool finally being able to compare in a real situation and not best buy.

LCD's have gotten much better with blacks but one things start moving the difference in motion resolution is night an day. LCD colors looking more realistic than plasma?? I have read the Panasonic plasma are less accurate in non-THX modes, perhaps you still had it set to the out of box torch mode. I'd put my 9G Kuro against any LCD and it's 2 years old. Unless you are gaming in direct sunlight I would not recommend LCD over plasma. You get better picture quality for less money, it's a no-brainer.

voodoo

Neo Member
thetrin said:
First of all, I vote for plasma as well. Go see an LCD and a plasma right next to each other and you'll never go back.
That said, Samsung plasma TVs suck big donkey balls. Never get one. Panasonic makes the best plasmas and they do make a 37" that I had and loved (before I had to live with the god awful 42" Samsung plasma that I have right now).

i'll be honest i DID notice moving objects looked better on plasma but is that the same for games? with it being a non recorded image i'd think they'd both handle gaming resolution similar, no?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Fuck you rich bastards. I was really happy about buying a 32" Sony LCD last week and now I feel inadequate. :(

Using this sucker as a computer monitor is fucking sweet though...

Top Bottom