• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LED TV vs. LCD TV for gaming?

Russell

nib95 said:
The correct answer is neither, plasma. Namely the new Pioneer or Panasonic range. I'm sporting an 8G Kuro, but my dad has the new 9G KRP-500M. It's insane.

First TV I've ever watched films on where the black bars top and bottom completely disappear even in a pitch black room with not an shred of light. I believe it's rated 0.0021 cd/m2. Still not completely black, but the closest any screen in full ordinary use has ever come to it.

Generally though, I tend to prefer Plasma's over LCD's. For both motion and IQ.
I am unbelieveably obsessive about picture quality -- always have been. I won't even play a console game if I'm not happy with the picture quality of the video display.

And anyone who's as obsessive about picture quality as I am understands that black level is the single, number one most important element of picture quality.

With that said, I have the 500M. From what I understand, the 500M (along with the 101 FD) uses some of the never-to-be-released Kuro 10G "secret sauce" technology.

In a few weeks I'll have my 500M professionally calibrated with the patched ISFccc modes by none other than D-Nice.

Picture quality utopia indeed. :)

dralla

this thread has nothing to do with plasmas, not to mention they don't even make plasmas in the size he's looking for. great thread guys!

McHuj

WasteLand Soldier said:
i'll be honest i DID notice moving objects looked better on plasma but is that the same for games? with it being a non recorded image i'd think they'd both handle gaming resolution similar, no?

It's not the content, it's the nature of the technology. Plasma is better at handling motion. If I had to buy a big screen TV with gaming in mind, I'd get a plasma despite worries of burn-in.

Although, my 5 year old HD TV CRT, however big and heavy it is, seems to have incredible contrast and no motion problems whatsoever so I don't know what you guys are bitching about. :D

dralla said:
this thread has nothing to do with plasmas, not to mention they don't even make plasmas in the size he's looking for. great thread guys!

Kuro guys will talk for 100 pages if you let them. They're a bit insane, and always annoying.

RedAssedApe

Banned
dralla said:

The OP was asking if he should get a regular LCD or a LED backlit one. We're telling him that he's getting the wrong set for gaming (based on our own personal experiences). How is that off topic? There are plenty of 42inch plasmas that would have qualified.

Anyhow...maybe the OP should update his original post and indicate that he already bought something? :D

WasteLand Soldier said:
i'm confused about the whole plasma has blacker blacks now. I'm guessing thats compared to average LCDs? I have a sammy a750 and just got back from setting up my friends viera, same livingroom layout as mine and same lighting conditions and my blacks are waaaaaaaaaaay darker than his. I understand that optimal viewing for plasmas are dark rooms but why would someone suggest plasmas when its light 1/2 the day? :lol

dont get me wrong tho after setting up his and because of costs i'm thinking of getting one for my bedroom but again its more cost factor. i can get a 40 inch viera for $600 where a 40 inch sammy LCD would be closer to $1000. I will say the color definately popped more on his but it didnt look realistic. there's definately a big difference on how the 2 techs display things. kinda cool finally being able to compare in a real situation and not best buy.

Couple of reasons:

1. Your model LCD is extremely above average in black levels (assuming you're on-axis), and I recall it has measured minimum luminance about as low as current Panasonic models.

2. When people say plasmas have darker blacks, they mean in a room completely absent of light where the minimum luminance of the panel can be accurately measured and perceived. As the room starts to get more light in it hitting the panels, the color of the screen itself will start to determine the "depth" of black and, consequently, the richness of the colors. LCDs with their jet black screen coating will trump most plasmas in ambient lighting because of this. There are plasmas, however, like the Pioneer Kuros and upper range Samsungs, that have very dark and heavy AR filters that will make them look just as punchy as LCD in high ambient lighting.

Tenkei

For those who are interested in getting a new TV for gaming, I highly recommend the Geometry Wars 2 test; play Pacifism on a bunch of TVs and choose the one that you think looks best. I decided on a Panasonic plasma this way. :lol

demolitio

Some of you guys do have me looking at some cheaper Panasonic plasmas right now. Is a 42" in 720p worth it though or should I just save up for a 1080p one?

Sorry for the plasma talk, but I already have my Samsung LCD downstairs. :p

Dynamic3

elrechazao said:
That's the point, that there is no such thing as an LED tv. It's a marketing ploy.

No that was my point. There is no difference. LED means LED lit. Get off of your "marketing ploy" horse because the type of TV you are referring to doesn't exist. The average consumer probably just thinks the benefit of LED TVs is that they are thin, which they are as a result of being LED lit, so what's the prob?

That's like saying there is no such thing as a light bulb lamp, just light bulb lit lamps.

Dynamic3 said:
No that was my point. There is no difference. LED means LED lit. Get off of your "marketing ploy" horse because the type of TV you are referring to doesn't exist. The average consumer probably just thinks the benefit of LED TVs is that they are thin, which they are as a result of being LED lit, so what's the prob?

That's like saying there is no such thing as a light bulb lamp, just light bulb lit lamps.

What are you babbling about, other than repeating what I just said? Calling an LCD tv an "LED TV" as if it is a different product than an LCD, rather than a different lighting solution, is the marketing ploy. Get it now junior?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Josh7289 said:
UGH

These are LED-backlit LCD TVs.

NOT LED TVs.

If you actually took time to read the the thread, you'd know that this was already discussed. But that's cool. You can be all angsty and stuff if you'd like.

Btw, why is it so difficult for people to choose from two choices for someone? I wasn't asking if a Plasma is better. I don't like the idea of using a plasma for gaming, and I ONLY use my TV for gaming. The LED TV I picked up has some ghosting, sure, but it's virtually unnoticeable to me or my friends when playing a game (I only noticed it when watching movies in AutoMotion Plus).

Anyway, thanks to those who offered the advice, and for clearing up how LED TVs worked. I was a bit hazy on that. The rest of you Plasma guys just clogged up the thread with useless arguments. :p

freakzilla3000

I have a 20 inch Bravia and it looks sweet.

It has 120 mhz and 1080p output.

The LED TV setups do look amazing and they may even have a gaming system set up running at the store (typically best buy) so good luck!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
freakzilla3000 said:
I have a 20 inch Bravia and it looks sweet.

It has 120 mhz and 1080p output.

The LED TV setups do look amazing and they may even have a gaming system set up running at the store (typically best buy) so good luck!

Didn't take the time to read the rest of the thread huh? :lol

It's cool. I actually ended up getting the 40" LED.

marwan

Banned
i have a 1080p 52" Bravia, does the lag concern non HD games? such as running a SNES or a Dreamcast?
also, my 360 always upsacles games to 1080p, while the same game on the PS3 is stuck at 720p...it the 360 version of the same game look better.

what's the best way to measure lag?

edit: i've seen Plasma's that go up to 400 and 600Hz...does it matter when it comes to gaming?

thetrin

Shurs said:
Why don't you edit the OP to show you've made your choice?

Not a bad idea. Doing so now.

Dural

elrechazao said:
That's the point, that there is no such thing as an LED tv. It's a marketing ploy.

You are quite wrong there. Sony has had an OLED TV for sale since either '07 or '08 and LG should have one for sale this year with larger models coming next year.

Reallink

marwan said:
i have a 1080p 52" Bravia, does the lag concern non HD games? such as running a SNES or a Dreamcast?
also, my 360 always upsacles games to 1080p, while the same game on the PS3 is stuck at 720p...it the 360 version of the same game look better.

what's the best way to measure lag?

edit: i've seen Plasma's that go up to 400 and 600Hz...does it matter when it comes to gaming?

The lag introduced by the TV concerns non-HD games even more than HD ones. Obviously it takes more time and effort to deinterlace and scale 480i to 1080p than just to display native 1080p. The most practical test is just to plug your lap top into your TV, clone the output, run a timer, and take a picture so both screens are visible in the frame. The lag will be the difference in the timer. This will depend on the speed of your laptops display, but some of them are quite fast, only around ~5ms behind a CRT.

Dural said:
You are quite wrong there. Sony has had an OLED TV for sale since either '07 or '08 and LG should have one for sale this year with larger models coming next year.

Sigh, that's why I didn't say oled, I said led. The tv's being marketed as "LED" tv's, are not oled TV's. Get it?

JRW

Liabe Brave said:
Plasmas look great and play well, and on the whole that's what I'd recommend. But static HUD elements definitely have a tendency to burn in worse, which is not so great for gaming. Yes, I know the problem is exaggerated, that it's gotten better, that there's jitter algorithms to reduce it, it's usually not permanent, etc. etc. That doesn't mean that my friend with a plasma doesn't have faint Super Stardust icons visible on his screen a lot of the time.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from a plasma purchase, just pointing out that for gaming they do have a drawback over LCD (which also can suffer from image retention, I know, but are uniformly better at this one thing).

My 50" Kuro plasma has been used more for gaming than anything else for over 2 years and ive never experienced even a hint of image retention / burn in.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Tried to search for a thread on TV setups, I guess it's better to post it here than make a new thread, but what is the best level to set the Black Level? On the 360, they give you the choice of doing Standard, Intermediate and Extended.

My TV is an Olevia 32inch LCD HDTV, btw. Not sure of the model, but it's one of the older ones (I got it in 2005; it doesn't have any HDMI ports).

Top Bottom