• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Left 4 Dead 3" is found on Steam (yet another leak?)

Robot Pants

Ok I was fine with the L4D2 coming out so soon after 1, because it really was so much better. But if left 4 dead 3 comes out before half-life........ No, valve. Come on.

Re: the bitching about L4D2's enemy characters:

They were vital. Late-game L4D1 got totally stupid because the survivors were way too OP. There weren't any reliable surivor-separating infected characters. If the survivors simply stayed in a tight group and stuck to walls or corners they were basically unstoppable. You had to play modded modes where the survivors were gimped with only T1 weapons, no healthkits, or pistols in order to make it anywhere near fair.

L4D2's new infected were all meant to separate people. Jockey pulls somebody away with better overall usefulness than the smoker. Acid-spitter creates zones of space where survivors can't stand together, pushing them out of corners and into the open. Charger (best new infected IMO) acts like a bowling ball to a bunched group of pins (survivors) and gives good insta-kill opportunities.

I agree that the environments weren't quite as inspiring, but overall I thought it was a more complete package.

Eusis

Is "we" referring to you and your imaginary friend?
Actually, let's look at the alternatives:

Half Life 3 / HL2 Episode 3 (the most obvious)
Portal 3
Team Fortress 3
Dota 3

... Hmm, I think L4D's in the middle there for myself. At any rate I can't see how the fuck he'd want Dota 3 over L4D3, Dota 2's not even officially released even though it seems to be like Gmail beta at this point with a $30 buy in option (just like a normal game.) Before long everyone will be sitting on 50 invites then they'll finally give it up.

Timeless

Ok I was fine with the L4D2 coming out so soon after 1, because it really was so much better. But if left 4 dead 3 comes out before half-life........ No, valve. Come on.

So much rampant speculation. We know Half Life 3 is in development and we know Source 2 is in development. I'm happy letting Valve decide when to release both of those products.

Ultryx

So much rampant speculation. We know Half Life 3 is in development and we know Source 2 is in development. I'm happy letting Valve decide when to release both of those products.

At this point I can say, "Fuck you, Valve."

I've been waiting for Half Life for years. Instead of pumping out that, they focused on fuck shit Portal 1/2 and L4D series (all of which I love). Still, fuck you Valve.

I hate their stupid no talking about anything policy. If we ask you if Half Life 3 is being worked on, why can't you just say yes? I HATE YOU GABEN.

I've been waiting for Half Life for years. Instead of pumping out that, they focused on fuck shit Portal 1/2 and L4D series (all of which I love). Still, fuck you Valve.

I hate their stupid no talking about anything policy. If we ask you if Half Life 3 is being worked on, why can't you just say yes? I HATE YOU GABEN.

SOMEONE needs to chill.

Meia

Re: the bitching about L4D2's enemy characters:

They were vital. Late-game L4D1 got totally stupid because the survivors were way too OP. There weren't any reliable surivor-separating infected characters. If the survivors simply stayed in a tight group and stuck to walls or corners they were basically unstoppable. You had to play modded modes where the survivors were gimped with only T1 weapons, no healthkits, or pistols in order to make it anywhere near fair.

L4D2's new infected were all meant to separate people. Jockey pulls somebody away with better overall usefulness than the smoker. Acid-spitter creates zones of space where survivors can't stand together, pushing them out of corners and into the open. Charger (best new infected IMO) acts like a bowling ball to a bunched group of pins (survivors) and gives good insta-kill opportunities.

I agree that the environments weren't quite as inspiring, but overall I thought it was a more complete package.

Too much new was the problem. Any one or two new infected may have been fine, but they kind of went overboard. They broke a "simple" game system, making it less fun as a result.

Too much new was the problem. Any one or two new infected may have been fine, but they kind of went overboard. They broke a "simple" game system, making it less fun as a result.

Nah. If you wanted to say it made the game less predictable or more difficult/overwhelming, then sure. L4D2 is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played, but I can't in all good conscience call it less fun than L4D.

Robot Pants

Completely wrong.
L4D2 made the game better and more fun and actually much more challenging than the first.
L4D1 was too easy.

Meia

Completely wrong.
L4D2 made the game better and more fun and actually much more challenging than the first.
L4D1 was too easy.

The things they added had like no skill to them though. I had a ton of fun with 1 playing hunters and getting 25 point jumps by jumping off things/wall jumping. I can spit with a new one. Whee.

The things they added had like no skill to them though. I had a ton of fun with 1 playing hunters and getting 25 point jumps by jumping off things/wall jumping. I can spit with a new one. Whee.

Hide in room in l4d1: all infected negated.

Hide in room in l4d2: destroyed by spitter

They just made it to fix what was broken in l4d1

Concept17

I want a L4D3 soon. i think it's time for a new one.

Same.

L4D2 was probably my most played game this last generation.

Supremely unique mechanics that are an absolute blast to play, even if they're very prone to glitches. A third game would be amazing on Source 2.

I just wish the series got the same love from Valve that Team Fortress has. The community is still very active. (about the same as TF2 was before it went F2P)

peronmls

Valve making a game with a 3 in it?

idjLpP0ijzy8C.gif

It's time for a NEVERENDING PARTY!!!

Timeless

It's been known that Half-Life 2: Episode 3 / HL3 is in development ever since they announced it (they never did announce that it was HL3 but they did hint that the episodic model isn't working for them). They don't want more hype until they have something to show. More hype and speculation only makes it harder for them to put out a product that meets the hype (hint: it never will).

Robot Pants

That last like killed me. I literally burst out laughing n

Oroboros+

Neo Member
Companies sometimes register product codes before development even begins up to years in advance, this could be the case for L4D3 if it hasn't been updated in months.

Striek

About fucking time. L4D2 is one of my most played games of the gen. Its an absurd step up in quality from L4D1 and I was very skeptical of the 1 year turnaround the game had, but Valve proved that was unfounded.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Am I the only one who wishes L4D didn't have an overt narrative? That's why I kinda dislike the setting of L4D2. I'd rather like how L4D handled it before the crash update.

Am I the only one who wishes L4D didn't have an overt narrative? That's why I kinda dislike the setting of L4D2. I'd rather like how L4D handled it before the crash update.

Both games have about the same amount of focus on the story and the whole "carrier," thing. I haven't played the DLC for 2 though.

I didn't like the New Orleans setting for L4D2. Day stages were fine but lacked atmosphere.

I want an L4D sandbox game where you were just given corordinates and had to make your own way around without being funneled through conveniently placed holes in walls. Oh and destructable environments.

Top Bottom