• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left, Right, Up, Down: The 2D appreciation thread!

battletoads1pwarpio7.png

^^^^

Whoever designed this level will burn for all eternity.

Totz

Did I see no mention of the awesomeness of the Ducktales games?

ducktales1px9.jpg

What about Quackshot?

quackshot0gx.gif

Castle of Illusion?

mcoi1.jpg

KevinCow said:
I will never forgive DoS for absolutely destroying the fantastic artwork of AoS. I also hated the tacked-on touch screen implementation. It overall just felt like a weak copy of AoS. HoD also gets bonus points for the great use of L and R for dashing, which just felt awesome and is something I wish they'd bring back.

EDIT: Though to be fair, I only played DoS the once back when it came out, and I've played all the others multiple times and my last playthroughs have been in the past couple of months. I just remember being really unimpressed and disappointed, as AoS was my first Metroidvania and it blew me away and I had huge hopes for the sequel.

Irony alert. HoD was quite possibly the "lame copy" of the Metroidvanias. It tried too much to be SotN 2, but only inherited the "size for the sake of size" design ethic of the game it wanted to be. And both shoulder buttons used for dash just seemed superfluous.

DoS, aside from the butchered artwork and touch screen implementation, had been improved in terms of balance over AoS. It's just as good as its predecessor on the whole if not better.

Totz said:

I have it in my library, haven't played it since i first had an NES.

Oh, and how this was not mentioned yet I have no idea, it's on my top 10 all time list.

littlenemo-1.jpg

Tain

Ratio-wise, I like a lot of 2D games, but I don't think it's because they're 2D.

Older games that I like are usually arcade games, genuinely arcade-inspired games, or games that pamper the player less than modern games. And since they're older, there's a higher chance of them being 2D.

There's definitely something to be said about the way sprites look versus polygons, but I don't look at it as an inherent advantage, I guess.

KevinCow

Banned
cartman414 said:
Irony alert. HoD was quite possibly the "lame copy" of the Metroidvanias. It tried too much to be SotN 2, but only inherited the "size for the sake of size" design ethic of the game it wanted to be. And both shoulder buttons used for dash just seemed superfluous.
I didn't get that feeling at all. In fact, I think that, other than CotM, it's the most unique Metroidvania. Since you only use the whip, there was less of an emphasis on collecting new weapons and switching them out. The only weapon upgrades were various elemental stones and the one to break blocks. That's not necessarily better or worse than the way most of the other games do it, just different, which makes it stand out more. Then there's the subweapon system with the books and such which, similarly, is different and helps it stand out.

As for the dashing, it wasn't just the use of L and R, the dash itself felt much better than the backdashes in other games. But I also like being able to dash either direction regardless of where I'm facing, and I like being able to dash in, attack, and dash out.

I dunno, HoD kinda makes me think of Metroid Prime 2. They both a lot of shit, but most of the complaints people have with them - being too similar to their predecessors, not liking the dual world systems - didn't bother me at all. The one thing that did bother me about HoD, though, was the music, which was pretty much shit.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
permutated said:
I have it in my library, haven't played it since i first had an NES.

Oh, and how this was not mentioned yet I have no idea, it's on my top 10 all time list.

littlenemo-1.jpg

What is name of that game?

------

What about this games,

NES_Adventures_of_Tom_Sawyer_Box.JPG

ChipnDaleRescueRangersBox.jpg

jibblypop

Banned
Seeing all these awesome games bring a tear to my eye! :D
I used to like games a lot more when they were like this! Any new 2D games still coming out like Braid, Megaman 9 and Castle Crashers are saving shit for me!

Totz said:

I played Quackshot, and World of Illusions. Good memories. I even taped the playthrough of me and my friend going through World of Illustions in 2-player co-up. Back when I discovered that I can tape my games by connecting the Genesis to a VCR :lol

I remember taping Flashback on VHS too, and I used to pop them in them occasionally and watch in consequent years. Flashback rocked, playing that with headphones in the dark was quite an experience. The animations, art, setting, presentation, and sound effects made it really immersive back in the day and a lot of fun.

Speaking of Castlevania, I only played SotN, CotM, DoS and PoR. Funnily, I'd also rank them in that order from best to worst. I couldn't afford to buy AoS when it came out unfortunately.

KevinCow said:
I didn't get that feeling at all. In fact, I think that, other than CotM, it's the most unique Metroidvania. Since you only use the whip, there was less of an emphasis on collecting new weapons and switching them out. The only weapon upgrades were various elemental stones and the one to break blocks. That's not necessarily better or worse than the way most of the other games do it, just different, which makes it stand out more. Then there's the subweapon system with the books and such which, similarly, is different and helps it stand out.

In Metroidvanias though, the lack of variety of weapons kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. I was fine with the concept of whips only, but even under those terms the selection was limited.

On the flipside, between the heart consuming subweapons and the mana consuming magical attacks, there was too much firepower.

As for the dashing, it wasn't just the use of L and R, the dash itself felt much better than the backdashes in other games. But I also like being able to dash either direction regardless of where I'm facing, and I like being able to dash in, attack, and dash out.

I suppose. But then, I would have rather had a better controlling Juste to begin with.

I dunno, HoD kinda makes me think of Metroid Prime 2. They both a lot of shit, but most of the complaints people have with them - being too similar to their predecessors, not liking the dual world systems - didn't bother me at all.

The problem was that HoD's design IMO was meh, and the dual-layer construct only compounded that.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
2D gaming is the only kind of gaming I need. ^_^ If more quality 2D games were being made, gaming would be a happier place.

And this is why DLC and the DS are the kings of this generation.

Also, Ranger X and KevinCow's posts are full of more win than I can comprehend.

Up, down, up, down, left, left, shoot, shoot (ops... not a 2D game :D )

This thursday is a good day for 2D releases :

360 - Raiden IV
2e0451a7f162797d0582e09ee9e43076.jpg

PSP - Ikki Tousen: Eloquent Fist
ikki_main.jpg

both preordered

incoming :

DS - Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
945837_20080515_screen001.jpg

360 - Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label Extra
pos_black.jpg

Guybrush Threepwood said:
If Sega would have marketed the Saturn based on the fact that the 3D games on the PS1 and N64 looked like shit, things might be a lot different today.

I think the popularity of games like Toshinden proves conclusively that such a strategy would have miserably failed. People wanted 3d, "good looking" by modern standards or not.

Of course, not everything went 3d. PC strategy games, wargames, and building sims stayed almost 100% 2d for years, and many adventure games were 2d or prerendered as well. Many PC RPGs were 2d too, etc... and virtually all handheld games were, of course. It's just the major consoles that stopped getting as many 2d games.

As for the thread, I like 2d for some things, 3d for others...

But on that note, is the purpose here 2d graphics, 2d gameplay, or both? Because the three are not the same thing... and several 3d-ish-gameplay, 2d-ish-graphics games like Doom and Top Gear have been posted here, along with rendered-3d-sprites stuff, etc. So does it then include polyagonal games with fully 2d-style gameplay (like '2.5d' platformers)? It's definitely a borderline category...

But anyway, sure, I love 2d, just not at the expense of 3d. As much as I love Curse of Monkey Island's graphics (and I definitely do), I don't dislike early 3d graphics either. Sometimes 2d might look better -- for instance, I still think that Warcraft III probably have looked better with higher-detail sprites than the polygonal graphics it uses -- but sometimes 3d looks better -- for instance, with most behind-the-vehicle racing games (sure, I love Top Gear and F-Zero and their efforts at faking 3d, but I think there's little doubt that 3d added incredibly to the racing game genre.), among others.

Probably the last 2D platform/action released on home console before Wario Land Shake :

PS1 - Gegege no Kitarou: Gyakushuu! Youkai Daichisen 11/12/2003 (courtesy of c-games.info, i love your site !!!)

madara

Legendary Axe
Console 2D Castlevanias
Sonic's Sonic CD!!
Mega Man's
ActRaiser
Legendary Wings
Guardian Legend
GhoulsNGhosts
Demons Crest
Darkstalkers
Bionic Commando
Keith Courage
Faxandu
Earthworm Jim
astal
Smurfs
Mana's

A B Right A C A Down A B Right A

that was an awesome code!

Now give me a new 2D:
- Boogerman
- Toejam and Earl
- JazzJack rabbit
- Commander Keen
- Ristar
- Clockwork Knight
- Klonoa
- Gex

CAVE343

My favorite 2d game has to be Secret of Mana. Three player co-op was just way ahead of its time. It was soo good. I also like the megaman games, chrono trigger, street fighter etc etc. I liked Strider a lot, I wish they would remake that one, in 2d please :)

Jme

Super Famicom was a great place for 2D. Here are some of my favorite JP only releases that need more attention for both their awesome graphics and stellar gameplay.

GO GO ACKMAN (3 games, all looked the same)
GGAfrankie.png
GGAgun.png

MAGICAL POP'N
MPopin11.png
ItsZelda.png

GANBARE DAIKU NO GENSAN
GanbareDaikunoGensan0004.png
GanbareDaikunoGensan0012.png

SD HIRYU NO KEN
SD2.png
SD4.png

Ranger X

handofg0d said:
Super Famicom was a great place for 2D. Here are some of my favorite JP only releases that need more attention for both their awesome graphics and stellar gameplay.

GGAfrankie.png
GGAgun.png

MAGICAL POP'N
MPopin11.png
ItsZelda.png

GANBARE DAIKU NO GENSAN
GanbareDaikunoGensan0004.png
GanbareDaikunoGensan0012.png

SD HIRYU NO KEN
SD2.png
SD4.png

Oh shiznit i'm checking those tonight.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
2D games are still the best if you ask me... something about the sprites on tiled backgrounds look for me is priceless. Recently, it has been a good time to be a 2D fan... MM9, Kirby Super Star, Wario Land: Shake It!!, and I managed to stumble across a copy of Darkwing Duck for NES. A stream of consciousness list of some of my faves that haven't been mentioned yet, some a bit more obscure, all of them amazing:

Arc the Lad 2
Life Force
Jackal
Ranger-X
Alien Soldier
Thunderforce 4
Strider
Gunner's Heaven
Umihara Kawase Shun
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Shock Troopers
MERCS
Suikoden II
Demon's Crest
Skyblazer
DoReMi Fantasy
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys
Tryrush Deppy
Ninja Five-O
Shining Force II
FireStriker
Galactic Attack/Layer Section
Landstalker
Star Ocean
Romancing SaGa 3
Seiken Densetsu 3

stuminus3

Is this thread about games that play on a 2D plane only (what I'd consider a "real" 2D game), or does it include all games that just happen to use sprites?

Anyway, 2D LIVES ON, in a format I like to call "fucking awesome"...

wario-land-shake-it-200807250135159.jpg

Seriously. Love 2D? Don't own this? A problem is you.

djtiesto said:
2D games are still the best if you ask me... something about the sprites on tiled backgrounds look for me is priceless. Recently, it has been a good time to be a 2D fan... MM9, Kirby Super Star, Wario Land: Shake It!!, and I managed to stumble across a copy of Darkwing Duck for NES. A stream of consciousness list of some of my faves that haven't been mentioned yet, some a bit more obscure, all of them amazing:

Arc the Lad 2
Life Force
Jackal
Ranger-X
Alien Soldier
Thunderforce 4
Strider
Gunner's Heaven
Umihara Kawase Shun
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Shock Troopers
MERCS
Suikoden II
Demon's Crest
Skyblazer
DoReMi Fantasy
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys
Tryrush Deppy
Ninja Five-O
Shining Force II
FireStriker
Galactic Attack/Layer Section
Landstalker
Star Ocean
Romancing SaGa 3
Seiken Densetsu 3

Solid list. A couple items I would add are Gleylancer, Monster World IV and Valkyrie Profile.

Not to mention anything previously unmentioned here by Compile.

B, A, Down, A, Start, Start (Skitchin')
A + C + Up + Start (Road Rash 2)
Up, Down, Left, Right, A+Start (Sonic 1 MD)
19, 65, 9, 17 (Sonic 2 MD)
19, 65, 9, 17, 1, 1, 2, 4
1, 9, 9, 2, 1, 1, 2, 4 (1992, 24th November Sonic 2 release date)
4, 1, 2, 6
Up, Up, Down, Down, Up, Up, Up, Up (Sonic 3)

All I remember :D

*Fixed a wrong number*

stuminus3 said:
Is this thread about games that play on a 2D plane only (what I'd consider a "real" 2D game), or does it include all games that just happen to use sprites?

Anyway, 2D LIVES ON, in a format I like to call "fucking awesome"...

Seriously. Love 2D? Don't own this? A problem is you.

Shake Land is out? The more you know!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Diablohead said:
B, A, Down, A, Start, Start (Skitchin')
A + B + Up + Start (Road Rash 2)
Up, Down, Left, Right, A+Start (Sonic 1 MD)
19, 65, 9, 17 (Sonic 2 MD)
19, 65, 9, 17, 1, 1, 2, 6
1, 9, 9, 2, 1, 1, 2, 4 (1992, 24th November Sonic 2 release date)
4, 1, 2, 6
Up, Up, Down, Down, Up, Up, Up, Up (Sonic 3)

All I remember :D

blast! you figured it out! (refer to my older post)

*Walks in and appreciates*

SF series, minus Alpha 1 and SF3 New Generation
SNK fighters
Streets of Rage series
Gun Star Heroes
Astro Boy
Sonic
Mario
Viewtiful Joe
Darkstalkers

Hell I could be here all night. It's all about 2D. I love it, and long may it continue.

handofg0d said:

MAGICAL POP'N
GANBARE DAIKU NO GENSAN

Magical Pop'n is amazing.
Go Go Ackman (only played the first) & Hammerin Harry are good, but nothing special.

Best Japan only are:
DoReMi Fantasy (released on VC)
gfs_7322_2_2.jpg

Majyuuou (aka King Of Demons)
majyuuou-1.png
majyuuou-5.png

The Violinist of Hamelin (translation patch available)
gfs_21659_2_1.jpg
gfs_21659_2_2.jpg

R2 Rendering Ranger
gfs_8823_2_1.jpg
gfs_8823_2_2.jpg

Sutte Hakkun
gfs_9254_2_1.jpg
gfs_9254_2_3.jpg

Mario & Wario
gfs_15859_2_1.jpg
gfs_15859_2_2.jpg

(Still playing the last two)

And probably Ganbare Goemon 2-4, but since they are not translated I'd have to check a FAQ for the town sections, which is very tedious to me, so chances are I'll never play them.
Umihare Kawase has its fans too, but it's not my cup of tea. Maybe if when I lost all lives I wouldn't have to start all over again I would play it more.

Top Bottom