• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left, Right, Up, Down: The 2D appreciation thread!

I'm not bad mouthing Contra at all, I just never could get into it...

Just because I don't enjoy it doesn't mean it's not fantastic...

A,B,A,C,A,B,B

FIGHT!

My first videogame that I played was Pac-Man, and after that it was history. I used to love Mortal Kombat 1, and 2. There are soo many 2D games that I love. I hope that it never leave gaming. Cheers!

38.jpg

LOVE LOVE LOVE.

lyre

Allan Holdsworth said:
Why? 2.5D graphics (and gameplay) are the ugliest sin.
Agreed with this. Why do crappy polygons on 2d gameplay when the devs are their best, imo, with sprites.

celebi23

Yay for swinging on vines! (big hint ;) )
left, left, left, right, right, right, up, up , up

can't figure it out? Sonic 3 AND Knuckles :D

Oh & something I threw together using graphics ripped directly from the game using a tile viewer (might be a bit off but, whatever)

MM9-2.png

Enjoy

:D

Teknoman

lyre said:
Agreed with this. Why do crappy polygons on 2d gameplay when the devs are their best, imo, with sprites.

I dunno, I mean I liked the way Contra Shattered Soldier, Klonoa 2, Viewtiful Joe, the Sonic Rush series, New Mario Bros, and Bionic Commando Rearmed looked. Besides, that seems to be the ONLY way to get an old school game series on a next gen system (not counting Warioland and Megaman 9).

On the topic of current 2D games, Megaman 9 is fantastic.

Great level design, wonderful music, best MM game in a long long time.

Now SEGA: Please give us a Sonic in the same style as MM9.

lyre

Teknoman said:
I dunno, I mean I liked the way Contra Shattered Soldier, Klonoa 2, Viewtiful Joe, the Sonic Rush series, New Mario Bros, and Bionic Commando Rearmed looked. Besides, that seems to be the ONLY way to get an old school game series on an HD system (not counting Warioland).
celebi23 said:

And this is Wayforward we're talking about; they can do awesome detailed sprites. And since it seems like their forte is sprite animation, that's what I'm rooting for.

However, if their next Contra or other series game is 3d, I won't be complaining.

Dural

Lots of good memories looking at this thread. Didn't see one of my favorites from the Saturn posted, Three Dirty Dwarves.

2908603184_515fb53c88_o.png

Top Bottom