• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra Book 2 HYPE Thread (Book 1 & 2 Spoilers inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satch

Banned
STOP HERE if you don't want Book 1 spoilers or if you plan to go into Book 2 with fresh eyes!

The OP will be updated as images and video become available.

It's Comic-Con day, and the Legend of Korra panel has brought about lots of quick looks into the workings of season two!

Courtesy of http://jenny-sdcc.tumblr.com/

BOOK 2: SPIRITS

ARTWORK FROM BOOK 2!

Six months after Book 1, going to show short animatic of where the characters are. In the thick of animation and design and production, still a very far way to go, but lots of great concepts:

- Opening of Book 2 in a festival in the sourthern water tribe, gentle snow falling, lanterns, circus games, A PAINTING OF A MUCH LARGER SOUTHERN WATER TRIBE!
- Southern Water Tribe has a beautiful banquet hall made of ice
- Great landscapes, storms, ominous rock formations
- “Mysterious location they’re journeying to in this storm, with cool spooky lighting”, harkens back to the glow Aang’s ice burg had
- Naga and Korra exploring the mysterious location
- Twisted roots coming out of ice walls
- Southern Air Temple all spruced up
- Vistas, base of the mountain around the temple, very gentle, “misty kind of Chinese mountains”
- Ancient air bender site
- SPIRIT WORLD!!!!
- Explore the spirits, background, creation of the Avatar

NEW COSTUMES!

- Korra is very similar, longer sleeves, very athletic, Mandarin a-symmetrical top, looks a little meaner
- Mako get’s a coat! Still has the scarf
- Bolin has an AWESOME green parka
- Asami takes over her fathers company, more business attire
- STILL A BADASS THOUGH, Goggles, and updated racing leathers
- Tenzin gets ANOTHER claok
- BUMI BUMI BUMI HAS PINK EAR MUFFS, Kya will also appear, Bumi definitely has the same spirit as the old king. Bit of a pot belly since we last saw him
- KYA! No dreds, has a half moon necklace, bit of a hippy, FAVORITE SONG IS SECRET TUNNEL, has a special bond with Jinora
- The Avatar parents get an update, going to see more of Korra’s parents this season, Korra’s dad was thought of initially to be like a line backer physically
- Flashback to Tahnrok in his early 20’s, shirtless XD
- Tahnroks brother, “Unolok”??? will be appearing! Very posh, to bring up the relationship between the north and south tribes
- His children, twins, kind of creepy, slouched shoulders
- Verick???, Howard Hughes, little bit of a playboy guy, Captain of Industry, more humorous, great rapport with Bolin, VERY BRIGHT PURPLE CLOAK, Southern Water Tribe descent
- Spirits! shadowy creature? Can’t even describe!

Onto the animatic!

Animatic

Fancied up storyboard:

- Probending! Fire Ferrets agains the —— Lions (missed it), Bolin giving pep talk…to TWO ENTIRELY NEW PLAYERS. Go down as the fastest knockout in probending history XD
- Mako is on a fancy bike, chasing…waterbenders past a Wendy’s XD Intense chase scene, and he takes down the truck! “Looks like you had some car trouble, good thing the police are here.”
- ASAMI FLYING A PLANE, Nearly bankrupt because of her father’s reputation, sounds confident, but sercretly worried
- Pema being heckled by her three eldest and Korra riding around on air scooters, Korra goes into the Avatar state to win the race, Tenzin overhears, and scolds her
- Naga barking, weird shadow spirit appears in the distance, attacks Korra, pins her down….fade out
- Korra goes Avatar state to fight the creature, into the festival

So Mako has become a cop, and now Bolin is struggling to find his place in the world. TO BECOME A MAAAAN.

Andrea found the end to Noatok and Tarrlok absolutely shocking.

“It’s a kids show! :D” - Mike

Andrea only relays to the kids the things from the script that will lead them in their performance, makes it as easy on the actors as possible.

Here's another writeup, courtesy of Hollywood.com. Here are their bulletpoints, with more information at the link:

- Team Avatar will travel to the Southern Water Tribe. They'll visit a festival with glowing lanterns that warm up the snowscape scenery. Beautiful.
- Korra will travel through a storm to find a glowing iceberg. Spirit world? The ice cave looks very reminiscent to the iceberg Aang was trapped in.
- We saw concept art of the Southern Air Temple. Inspired by Chinese art, it's a stone structure enhanced with yellow and orange skies, lush vegetation growing over it.
- Book 2 will explore the Spirit World and how the "Avatar" lineage began. Korra will travel into the spirit world and Konietzko hints that there may be episodes later in the season dedicated to exploring the bigger landscape of the Spirit World.
- Then we saw some new costumes. Korra will have new threads inspired by Mandarin, asymmetrical fashion. Mako and Bolin will get big, fluffy coats for the frozen tundra that maintain their color coordination (Mako loves that red scarf).
- Asami is now the head of her dad's Future Industries, so she's gone corporate! Luckily, she has an alternate costume, an airship look that makes her a double for Amelia Earhart.
- Book 2 will bump up Bumi, a fan favorite and brother of Tenzin, to a regular character. He's got a big potbelly which fits his wacky personality.
- His sister Kya will also be a regular player. Dubbed a hippie by "Konietzko," Kya's big into healing.
- Korra's expanded family will be introduced. The creators mentioned that Korra was inspired by MMA fighter Gina Carano, which explains her build. It also explains why her entire family is ripped.
- Book 2 called "Spirits" and takes place six months after Book 1.

Korra
tumblr_m74a27Vp4u1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Bolin
tumblr_m74a9fhZ3p1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Mako
tumblr_m74a6eSx4d1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Asami
tumblr_m74admLMJp1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Asami Piloting Gear

tumblr_m74ai7Uslv1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Tenzin
tumblr_m74alkXFI01r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Bumi
tumblr_m74apx3Pcd1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74atihgoU1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Senna
tumblr_m74b0vVqgU1r5du0ko2_500.jpg

tumblr_m74b0vVqgU1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Tonraq
tumblr_m74dpaphFJ1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74b725d0w1r5du0ko2_500.jpg

tumblr_m74b725d0w1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74bahBJ4B1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Unalaq - Tonraq's brother/Korra's uncle
tumblr_m74eckbrd41r5du0ko2_500.jpg

tumblr_m74eckbrd41r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74ekm0HG81r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Kya
tumblr_m74f6w7ZXN1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Desna
tumblr_m74fheSEfK1r5du0ko2_500.jpg

tumblr_m74fheSEfK1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Eska
tumblr_m74fpfzCR11r5du0ko2_500.jpg

tumblr_m74fpfzCR11r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74fwwh5La1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Verick
tumblr_m74ga0OtrD1r5du0ko2_500.jpg

tumblr_m74ga0OtrD1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74gecv50A1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Southern Water Tribe festival from avatarspirit.net. (Thanks to Hehateme for the heads up)

tumblr_m747hjKoPf1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

More
tumblr_m747auSLkY1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74866tggO1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Banquet Hall

tumblr_m748kjjlNv1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Storm

credits to avatar spirit.net thread http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=21158.350

More art, courtesy of Owldee. (Thanks again, Hehateme!)

Southern Air Temple
tumblr_m7498j8MeQ1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Spirit portal thing...?
tumblr_m7490l9yaD1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Deeper inside
tumblr_m7494xmlTx1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

Spirit World
tumblr_m749wmAsmY1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

A piece of concept art for spirits found here:

tumblr_m745f2jWcg1rb8q1fo1_1280.jpg

Videos
The Legend of Korra Season 2 Preview! Interview with Bolin aka PJ Byrne!
Geek San Diego Comic-Con - Interview
CC12 Korra Animation
Legend of Korra table read @ 2012 SDCC
Comic Con Legend of Korra Panel Clip 1
Legend of Korra: "Comic Con 2012 Panel"

Jacob

Wait, Book 2: Spirit(s) as the title is confirmed?

I'd forgotten about the Jenny@SDCC tumblr entirely since I saw it ... two years ago I guess? When Korra was first announced.

Fingers crossed for Book 2.

Satch

Banned
Asami takes over Future Industries and can drive a plane you guys ;_;

lyk dis if u crey evreytiem ;_;

Jacob

Reading through all this stuff, it's great to hear that they start travelling the world at the beginning of Book 2. Nice to get some fresh air for the series.

HYPE

ED Cantu

I really, really hope someone recorded the panel and will upload it later, I want to see the concept art of the new stuff.

And yeah, consider me hyped too!

Jacob

Also sounds like they still have absolutely no clue what to do with Bolin.

Yeah...

http://www.hollywood.com/news/Comic...Book_2_Spirit_Details_New_Characters/33795088

The panel concluded with first look footage in the form of animatics (early animated storyboards that give you a feel of what to expect from the finished product). First up is a scene in the Pro-Bending arena (it's back!) with Bolin leading the Fire Ferrets into a match with the new team, Lion Elephants. Mako and Korra are off the team — and Bolin is getting his butt kicked playing side-by-side with the newbies.

FFS

rexor0717

I think its good! It will let Bolin step out from under the shadow of his brother and really define himself. Hopefully that doesn't mean we get 4 episodes dedicated to probending still.

Jacob

I actually think the Bolin angle is fine...

He doesn't have to be with the group the whole time...

It just feels that the creators stopped really caring about the character after his role in the love triangle was resolved/replaced by Asami. Shunting him off to the side in Book 2 (if that is indeed what they're doing) feels like more of the same for Bolin. I think that's a shame since he was one of the most likable characters in Book 1 when he had screentime.

More pics
tumblr_m746aluiuc1r5s8e9o1_500.jpg

Shirtless Tonraq

Though that was Tarrlok for a second. :O

I'm excited about seeing Korra's family. Especially since her dad is ripped as hell. Wonder if that's where she got her attitude from.

Jarmel

Banned
I actually think the Bolin angle is fine...

He doesn't have to be with the group the whole time...

So what else is he doing? Getting his ass kicked in pro-bending? Korra is busy being the Avatar and atleast Mako is a police officer now. Should have been the other way around so Bolin could have learned metal bending.

Sounds really cool - would have liked to have the whole thing focus on Republic City since it's a setting ripe for exploitation, but I guess there will still be plenty of it with pro-bending and Asami's company.

ED Cantu

Also sounds like they still have absolutely no clue what to do with Bolin.

Yeah poor Bolin.

One would thought that Bolin was a better option to become a cop, you know Lin maybe training him and then becoming a Metalbender cop, but it seems It will be Mako the one who will join the force.

But on the other hand P.J. byrne has hinted that Bolin will have a kind of story arc where he will grow and find his place in the world, so I have hope that they will do a good job with Bolin.

Amikami

Banned
HYPE!

Season 1 had it's flaws but it was still pretty good in my opinion. I'm excited for season 2 and can only hope that the writers have learned from the first season and that this one will be even better. Can't wait.

Satch

Banned
But on the other hand P.J. byrne has hinted that Bolin will have a kind of story arc where he will grow and find his place in the world, so I have hope that they will do a good job with Bolin.

he said the exact same thing about Bolin in book 1 and.............

i guess my response to all that is "we'll see"

Here's hoping they salvage and at the very least make Mako an interesting character.

Even in spite of Season 1, I still want to desperately like him. :(

Gartooth

Mako becomes a cop? XD

Also they didn't mention Lin at all!? (that was one of my favorite characters from book 1...)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
LoK Book 1 minor venting:

Asami is okay.
Mako sucks.
Bolin = Brolin
Korra was cool but then they made her suck.
Lin Beifong = GOAT
Tenzin needs to take some self defense classes.
His kids are cool.

Here's hoping they fix who sucks in Book 2. Except Mako, kill him off.

ED Cantu

he said the exact same thing about Bolin in book 1 and.............

i guess my response to all that is "we'll see"

Really? I always thought that he was talking about Book 2, so yeah we'll see.

Here's hoping they salvage and at the very least make Mako an interesting character.

Even in spite of Season 1, I still want to desperately like him. :(

I hope that too, not because I want to like him, but because it would be better to have a main character that is interesting and is not hated by a big part of the fandom (which I still don't understand why he's hated that much).

I was really hoping they'd be done with that :l
Well, it seems Bolin and the two new members of the Fire Ferrets will lose in their first match, so hopefully they won't qualify for the tournament and we will be done with pro-bending.

Satch

Banned
Also, the only mention of the Equalists was that Asami's dad's connection to them hurt her company... so I guess we can consider that whole thing dropped and unresolved for now.

also @hehateme: thx for keeping me on my toes :lol

Also, the only mention of the Equalists was that Asami's dad's connection to them hurt her company... so I guess we can consider that whole thing dropped and unresolved for now.

also @hehateme: thx for keeping me on my toes :lol
No problem ;) Seems like Asami is Tony Stark now
And I hope the equalits thing Isn't dropped

Veelk

Banned
Repeating myself here but...

Korra goes into the Avatar state to win the race, Tenzin overhears, and scolds her

Glad to see that she's putting that to good use. And here I was worried that she was too immature to be granted the abilities of the most powerful being on the planet. They sure proved me wrong.

Korra is the worst avatar ever.

Gartooth

Hope that this season, they at least make passing mentions that Korra has been excessively training with Tenzin during the 6 month gap in order to improve her airbending. It was a joke in season 1 to see her brush off her training, only for her to bust it out in the finale.

Also focus more on Asami and Bolin, of the four they are easily the most endearing characters and it would be a tragedy to see them be forced into the background like in book 1. (Bolin especially)

Jacob

Glad to see that she's putting that to good use. And here I was worried that she was too immature to be granted the abilities of the most powerful being on the planet. They sure proved me wrong.

Holy crap, I completely missed that. Isn't the point of mastering the Avatar state that it represents becoming a fully realized and mature Avatar? Not that Korra unlocked it, she had it gifted via deus ex machina Aang.

Ugh.

Satch

Banned
this season will probably be about humbling her spirit-wise (just like what we thought book 1 was gonna entail!)

she might end up getting Kuruk'd

Totally missed that. So stupid, she has control of it which she doesn't even earn and uses it for something trivial like a race. What are they even doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom