• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra Book 2 HYPE Thread (Book 1 & 2 Spoilers inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There wasn't even any indication of what happened to republic city. Yeah, Amon ran away and Hiroshi is presumably captured, but the qualists still had an iron grip on the city with technology to hold out for an extremely long time.

Apparently, we're suppose to believe that with Amon gone, the equalists lost all resolve and went home to watch TV or something.
The equalists major leaders were all taken down. Mustache guy left and as seen by his reaction, I imagine a lot of the equalists abandoned hope after amon was revealled to be a bender. Bolin took down the airport, iroh took down a lot of the aircrafts. With the un coming in full force and the major leaders captured or stepped down its obvious what happened. Isnt that what essentially happened with hitler and the nazis. Once hitler comitted suicide everything else quickly unraveled. Once amon abandoned the cause and was exposed as a bender the tides were already turning against him since bumi and his fleet was coming in, iroh took down the airplanes, bolin sealed off the airport and asami captured hiroshi.

im assuming it will be addressed. amon disappearing would only make him martyr i would think. so just resolving it as is would be weak.

and he wasnt a fully realized avatar at the end of book one either. in fact he barely got a grip on waterbending, and hadnt even tried the other(except when he burned katara.)
I imagine news spread fairly quickly that amon was a bender and that he ran away. That paints him as a fraud and a coward.

Also, aang learned 3 elements, energy bending, and mastering the avatar state in 3 months. While I do agree the writers did a much better job with developing it, let's not forget how ridiculous and contrived that was in and of itself. It takes everyone, including korra and previous avatars, a very long time to master the elements and learn things. However, katara, aang and toph were able to out bend adults in their 20s to 30s very easily. Katara at the start of s1 could barely bend a ball of water but at the end of s1 she was a waterbending master.

Anyway, s1 wasn't perfect and had flaws but I found it to be fairly enjoyable despite that. I like so far what I'm hearing about book 2. Although the lack of lin info is a bit worrying.

Veelk

Banned
idk why people keep saying this, they're shows with larger casts that do a shitload in 12 or 13 episodes. The Wire comes to mind.

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but a wire episode was an hour long. Korra's episodes are 23 minutes each. Not the same thing.

Satch

Banned
idk why people keep saying this, they're shows with larger casts that do a shitload in 12 or 13 episodes. The Wire comes to mind.

22 minutes tho

consider me to be One of Little Faith i guess

edit: btw thanks for changing the title for me Shouta

Tuck

The problem is that the writers had a hard time dealing with the cast they had in season 1, with many characters being ignored (Bolin).

If they do it right, it could be great. The cast has been expanded, but we don't know how large a role those characters will take, so I'm not too worried as of yet.

Consider me off the train. Korra is the worst avatar ever, it's hilarious how bad she is at this. She's a angsty, angry, violent, hot head who gets everything handed to her instantly and uses her god-like powers to cheat at a race. Yup. She doesn't deserve to be an Avatar, it's not entertaining to see her constantly do stupid things and everyone support her. It's terrible writing, and I'm taking my stand here.

I was hoping gaining her Avatar state she wouldn't be drunk with power, but, nope, she uses it to cheat. Unless she gets some SERIOUS character development, I'm off the S2 train. :-/

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but a wire episode was an hour long. Korra's episodes are 23 minutes each. Not the same thing.
that's true, bataman tas was really good too and i'm pretty sure that was 23 minutes per episode.

The problem is that the writers had a hard time dealing with the cast they had in season 1, with many characters being ignored (Bolin).

If they do it right, it could be great. The cast has been expanded, but we don't know how large a role those characters will take, so I'm not too worried as of yet.
yea i was trying to point out that it's a problem with the writers and not the format.

Satch

Banned
Consider me off the train. Korra is the worst avatar ever, it's hilarious how bad she is at this. She's a angsty, angry, violent, hot head who gets everything handed to her instantly and uses her god-like powers to cheat at a race. Yup. She doesn't deserve to be an Avatar, it's not entertaining to see her constantly do stupid things and everyone support her. It's terrible writing, and I'm taking my stand here.

I was hoping gaining her Avatar state she wouldn't be drunk with power, but, nope, she uses it to cheat. Unless she gets some SERIOUS character development, I'm off the S2 train. :-/

youll watch season 2

WillyFive

and he wasnt a fully realized avatar at the end of book one either. in fact he barely got a grip on waterbending, and hadnt even tried the other(except when he burned katara.)

There have been playful and silly Avatars before. I'm sure many of them weren't always as rigid and serious as they seem when standing around with their eyes glowing.

I already explained this several times.

It's fair to compare the entirety of TLA to Korra in my eyes because season 1 was originally suppose to be it's own complete season and was published this way because there wasn't enough time to change the story by the time they got news of a book 2. While Aang's book 2 and 3 were still part of his single driving story arc (to become a fully realized avatar and save the world), book 1 with Korra was it's own completed story arc and book 2 is a new story with the same characters, which is not the same thing what TLA did.

But there is a new Book, and we have yet to see her as a fully realized Avatar, since she just started using Airbender in the climax of the last episode.

But I expected her to mature, and she hasn't.

Well, then you can't blame anyone put yourself there. Korra was still a proud teenager living the life of a hero, there wasn't any reason for her to even be as serious as Aang was, since unlike Korra, Aang came from a destroyed family and the burden of thinking the entire war was his fault.

Veelk

Banned
that's true, bataman tas was really good too and i'm pretty sure that was 23 minutes per episode.

I'm actually rewatching the series now. I'm a little more than halfway through it, but while I do agree that it's surprising how good some of these short stories are, they are short stories, all of which are in self contained episodes apart from 2 parters. They're great, but they don't reach the character and plot depth that 61 episodes of TLA had just because there isn't enough time to do so. So more time isn't strictly necessary to tell a better story, but it makes it easier.

Though my response was just pointing out that comparing the wire to korra is a false equivalency because the wire still has about 3 times the run time that Korra has at the same number of episodes.

Yeah, that's what I noted that by the time book 1 ended the cast was already as large(in some ways larger) than that of book 3 and it took 3 seasons that were twice as long to develop them. Granted I don't think bumi, kya and korras parents will have a lot of development, imo. I think they'll be more static characters like a lot of the adults were in book 1.

I'm actually rewatching the series now. I'm a little more than halfway through it, but while I do agree that it's surprising how good some of these short stories are, they are short stories, all of which are in self contained episodes apart from 2 parters. They're great, but they can never reach the character and plot depth that TLA had just because there isn't enough time to do so. So yes, I do agree that more time means that you have a better chance of developing a better story. It's not necessary exactly, but it is easier.

Though my response was just pointing out that comparing the wire to korra is a false equivalency because the wire still has about 3 times the run time that Korra has at the same number of episodes.
true, maybe korra should take a different approach rather than trying the same overarching plot in half the episodes.

Veelk

Banned
true, maybe korra should take a different approach rather than trying the same overarching plot in half the episodes.

Have you seen Green Lantern: The animated series? That series balanced the overall plot with individual character episodes. And just about everything was tied back into the final episode on top of that. It was very well done. Perhaps they should hire Bruce Timm to help them out. I can atleast assure you that Bolin would have had his own place in the story had he been watching over him.

rexor0717

Oh man, that stuff looks even better than I'd hoped. I look forward to see Mako also becoming more of a well rounded character. I'm glad that they're bringing Korra's parents into it, I always wanted to know more about them. I'm so excited. I can't wait until years from now when I can marathon all four "books" of TLoK.

Have you seen Green Lantern: The animated series? That series balanced the overall plot with individual character episodes. And just about everything was tied back into the final episode on top of that. It was very well done. Perhaps they should hire Bruce Timm to help them out. I can atleast assure you that Bolin would have had his own place in the story had he been watching over him.
nice, i might checking out. but yea all this depends on the quality of the writers.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
S2 Predictions

Bolin gets shafted.
Mako gets everything he doesn't deserve.
Korra is made vulnerable again and has more scenes where she cries.
Tenzin gets beat up again.
New Iroh doesn't do anything.
Linn Beifong becomes the Batman of the show(I wish).

Veelk

Banned
Is Iroh going to be part of the story? You'd think he'd have better things to do as the General of the United Forces than hang out with Korra.

Otherwise, your predictions are a complete repeat of Book 1?

Tuck

Since Bumi is playing a large role, I guess it is possible Iroh would. Maybe recurring.

S2 Predictions

Bolin gets shafted.

You ignored Asami.

Just like Mako.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You ignored Asami.

Just like Mako.
I honestly don't know where to take Asami's plot. I'll admit that. All I have to work with is the tidbit that she flies a plane.
Is Iroh going to be part of the story? You'd think he'd have better things to do as the General of the United Forces than hang out with Korra.

His part in the story felt very short-lived, I felt burnt on that part. It's just like "hey this guy is Zuko's grandson and named after Zuko's uncle the GOAT Iroh!" Little to no development, very disappointing to me.

WillyFive

He's just trying to be funny by listing what happened in Book 1. He expects us to laugh because that's what happened in Book 1.

S2 Predictions

Bolin gets shafted.

Asasmi flies off never to be seen again and Korra's uncle is evil ;)

Grakl

I want to be excited, but I cant. Oh well. Maybe it'll surprise me. Who are the writers this time?

Edit: Same writers, forgot. Meh.

Hieberrr

I skipped all of the text, but looked the images. Those look fantastic. But what the hell at the spirit demon thing? WAS IST DAS?! O__O

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
is it weird that aang and kataras kids end up looking either like they are water tribe, or air nomads, and not some mix of the two?

how much money you guys wanna bet that most of these characters are around for 1 episode or are completely irrelevant?

i like kya's new design.

kya looked better in the book 1 bio pics.

asami continues to look like THE QUEEN.

mako continues to look like a doofus. what is he wearing.....

korra's dad is hot.

bolin..... i cant anymore.

Holy Shit OOOOOOOMMMMMGG
1342223276859.jpg

Edit:http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m74hv7SZuu1rso3dfo1_1280.jpg signed version w/ curret gang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom