• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra Book 2 HYPE Thread (Book 1 & 2 Spoilers inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Ah. My assumption was that he didn't fully unlock it, like he was in the process and getting killed stopped him from doing it. But then again, he did go into the Avatar state. So when the Guru told him he had to give up his love for Katara, did he not mean literally?

Again, this goes into some very abstract, conceptual stuff. But the gist of it, as I understood it, it deals with love as attachment. The purpose of the avatar is to be connected not to just any one person, but the entire world. The avatar must strive to love every person on earth. His love for Katara remained, but it's not a love that's bound by earthly attachment. It relates to the previous Air Chakra. Aang loved and was loved by Monk Gyatso. He died, but his love remained, and was transferred to Katara. So, he's basically saying he's let go of the attachment he has to Katara, but not the love, which can go be transferred to anyone else. So basically he loves her, but he's not in love with being in love with her and he's able to project that love on others.

Ah okay. Was getting confused. SO I'm not entirely crazy (well, clearly I am with how much I obsess over this show). Anyways, my head hurts. I think while we disagree on certain aspects of this (more so the technical aspects). But I think we both agree that Aang being able to give her energy bending and being able to fix her was pretty poorly handled (if not illogical given what past stuff we've heard about the spirit world, and how past avatars interact with current avatars).

All this said, I was never defending the actual ending from a writing stand point. Even if the writers could explain how Aang was able to do it, and it all made sense without being a retcon or stretching it, I still think it was a mistake to wrap it all up so quickly at the end of the season. And even from a character arc perspective, it's dumb to give her control of the avatar sate + energy bending so soon, and easily.

Fair enough. I think we can end it here, since all we disagree on are technicalities. It's one of the most peaceful debates I've had over this, really.

However, I always keep in mind this was supposed to be ONE season originally. Not that, that excuses their writing decisions. Even had this been a stand alone plot, they shouldn't have written a plot in the first place that required that to fix Korra getting her bending taken away.
Pretty much like you just said, it doesn't excuse it. There are plenty of ways they could have done it, even if they were to end it on the cliffhanger. I would not have been upset about the series ending with Korra finally humbly learning that she needs to buck down and really learn spirituality as it is meant to be.

AoM

Ah. My assumption was that he didn't fully unlock it, like he was in the process and getting killed stopped him from doing it. But then again, he did go into the Avatar state. So when the Guru told him he had to give up his love for Katara, did he not mean literally? I guess I'm confused, because I always thought that Aang still had feelings for Katara because he didn't actually open up the Chakra all the way (he died near the end of the process before it completed).

I mean, if he really had opened up the last Chakra, shouldn't his feelings for Katara have been muted?

It was a little confusing. He did open it because, like you said, he entered the AS. I guess Pathik didn't mean it literally, but in terms of forgetting about her as an earthly attachment. Chakras are pretty complicated, which is why I hope they delve more into them in S2 of Korra.

Mononoke

Banned
Everytime I remember that last Aang scene in Korra I chuckle since he pretty much became the turtle from TLA (complete with deus ex machina powers).

Yeah, the Lion Turtle always rubbed me the wrong way. Then again, I also felt the Guru came out of left field. "I had a vision I was supposed to help you". I was like what the hell? And then they have the whole Chakra plot that never really pays off (IMO).

The thing is though, at least with Avatar, I really loved the energy bending solution to the final fight. I thought it was brilliant. I just hated how they got there. How they had the Lion Turtle come out of no where to give Aang this knowledge.

(Inb4 someone says Lion Turtle was referenced throughout the show in the background.)

Grakl

Yeah, true, but it was also balanced by being difficult to do and having it done on the full moon. Yakone completely controlled over 30 people in a single room without even moving a muscle. That's ridiculously overpowered.

Exactly what I'm saying, lol.

Mononoke

Banned
Kt2FtWJ.png

Official Release Date: Friday Sept 13th

Prepare yourselves, "Legend of Korra" fans. The physical world and the spirit world will soon collide on the Emmy-nominated Nickelodeon series -- posing the biggest threat yet for Korra -- when Book 2 premieres on Sept. 13. And we have an exclusive sneak peek at the action for you now!

Sure, Republic City is free of Amon and the Equalists thanks to Korra, but now it's been six months, and "she and her friends will face impossible new dangers," the promo reveals.

Korra -- the only one who can bend water, earth, fire, and now air -- is not sure she can handle all the responsibility. "Maybe I'm not ready to be the Avatar," she confesses. But her journey has just begun, and with benders under attack and the spirit world out of whack, it's her job to fix things.

And for the first time ever, the headstrong protagonist will venture into the parallel plane of the spirit world, where all the immortal, supernatural, and spiritual entities exist.

New promo/trailer w/ release date below:

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-...te-revealed---exclusive-video--173004030.html

EDIT:

Lol beat.

Mononoke

Banned
So, I wonder if the Friday shift is a good thing rating wise. Isn't that usually a bad time slot? I'll admit, I'm not an expert on Nick's ratings. I just know that it's usually not a good time slot for most shows.

cdkee

Banned
Their ratings last year were amazing, hopefully the Friday slot gets them the same or better.

Between Korra and GTAV, I can't wait for September.

Rewatching Book 1 (of Korra), a season I had a lot of problems with as it aired, it strikes me that vs. the original series there's no one to root for or see the perspective of on the opposite side outside of adults.

With The Last Airbender, it was always Aang on one side and Zuko on the other, and it was always another kid helping him learn his next element. Korra has like 3 young main characters and the rest are adults. Obviously there are Tenzin's kids, but they're not given the same prominence of, say, Zuko or Azula.

The abundance of adults is kind of jarring for a kids' show, because they can't go all the way with making it adult, so the tone shifts are weird.

Watching the revelation scenes, I found myself wishing they'd done a This is England type of thing where we see a non-bender being seduced by Amon's rhetoric and eventually having to make a decision. I appreciate the ambition of the show, though.

Omikaru

Anyone got a YouTube of the new trailer? It's region locked. -_-

No more hype thread, give me that OT goodness stat

Speaking of the OT, is Wiseblade doing it again for Book Two? If not, I wouldn't mind taking a stab at it myself...

Epcott

September 13?! Hoooooyezzzzzzz!

My bender is ready!

So when's the Korra game, that plays like inFamous, coming out?

As soon as they can commission Sucker Punch to develop it ;)
Who currently holds the rights to Nick's license after THQ's dismantling? Take Two? Ubi?

Velti

Neo Member
"What, did you write that down beforehand?"

"Yes!" *whips out a list* :DDD

Mildly redeeming, there, son.

I desire to see Mako and Bolin being stupid together. They're brothers, it's their destiny.

Omikaru

Cool cool. Can't wait for the official thread to go up.

If Wiseblade isn't interested and I get to make the OT, I expect I'll put it up on the Saturday or Sunday before release. The first opportunity to post an OT is 7 days before the release, and I may be a tad too busy to post it on Friday 6th.

So yeah, expect it on the 7th or 8th of September.

Mononoke

Banned
If Wiseblade isn't interested and I get to make the OT, I expect I'll put it up on the Saturday or Sunday before release. The first opportunity to post an OT is 7 days before the release, and I may be a tad too busy to post it on Friday 6th.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Amikami

Banned

Great! Thanks.

Just got done with the new trailer. Oof, the scenes that Studio Pierrot animated are really obvious and look really bad. I hope Studio Mir took back control of the animation early on.

shira

Anyone got a YouTube of the new trailer? It's region locked. -_-

Speaking of the OT, is Wiseblade doing it again for Book Two? If not, I wouldn't mind taking a stab at it myself...

I just claimed the Book Two OT, but if Wiseblade wants it I'll pass it on to him.

Hmm. The unblocker I'm using on FireFox isn't working. I'll see if I can get that one for FF.

Omikaru/Wiseblade do you want to do a split spoiler thread and OT. Remember the shitstorm last time with book 1? I can handle the spoiler thread.

shira

Do it like other shows. If it airs, it's fair game.

The problem with the last thread was that there were so many official and unofficial leaks. And not everyone can watch it "legally" at the same time.

If a show is big enough IE breaking bad/game of thrones it does mean more posters and thus more people who spoil intentionally or unintentionally
Especially if you have casual posters who don't give 2 fucks about spoiler tags or reading OPs

Omikaru

Omikaru/Wiseblade do you want to do a split spoiler thread and OT. Remember the shitstorm last time with book 1? I can handle the spoiler thread.

I'm inclined to do it as we had last time. Just keep it simple: If it hasn't aired in the US (as an episode -- trailers and coming next week clips don't count), keep it in tags. So long as the rules are in the OP, members can be bitchslapped for not following them (since not reading the OP is bannable).

Two threads is too much, and we can't go around asking people to be considerate for everyone in every country, or those who DVR'd it to watch a few days later. I think it's fair to expect people to avoid the thread if they want to dodge spoilers on already aired episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom